• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ugh...another Day of People I Just Can't Move"

In summary, despite the fact I tell them "I'm taking volunteers...." only one person read the recipe. The rest just wanted to visit.
Laura4
Despite the fact I tell them "I'm taking volunteers...."

I did get one person to read the recipe...the rest just wanted to visit.

I realize one person has been to literally. FIVE. Pampered Chef. Shows. This Year. Three of them were mine. One of them she hosted. :D:p And she's now pregnant. LOL!! So we joked at the end when I did the dice game if she got the "book a show" card she was throwing it right back at me. LOL!!!

I do have about 3-4 people that plan to book off of this show that didn't come tonight, and one that is planning to book not at this moment, but maybe in the spring (this was the one I got to read the recipe, and the book a show card from the game).

But man....people just don't want to move. They want to look at the catalog, visit, and relax. And the hostess needs roughly $1400 to get everything she wants for free. We're at approximately $700-$800 right now but she thinks she's going to hit about $1000 easily.

I just don't know how to tool my shows to adapt to the visiting people. On one hand I feel like a schoolteacher going, "ok, girls...can we quiet down now!" but even with food, I am trying to find a moment where they are all quiet! LOL!

I had to find a chance to say, "did you all have a chance to see everything on the table here?" and then that was how I lead into showing the products.

I usually do the demo and they all stand and sit around and watch. I talk as I cook and describe the tools I'm using. I give them recipe ideas at the same time. I always offer people to come on up and try it out. I usually can tell when someone looks interested, just is being shy. A little nudging and they usually go ahead and come over to try it. The other way I do it is by using tickets. I put the host in charge of handing out tickets to the volunteers and then at the end I do a drawing for those people who helped. More people will do that, if they are the type that are driven by rewards. ;)If they talk, I let them. I want them relaxed and having fun. Sometimes I'll say, "I'm just going to go over the specials really quick and then I'll let you guys eat & visit with each other." Then after that I announce that I'll be doing my dishes and straightening up but they can come and grab me if they have a question or are ready to check out.

Friday night I had a group of 14. I decided as some of these folks were repeat people I decided not to do a demo at all. I made 5 dips and got chips, spent about $18. The host gave me back $15 and I wrote off three. I said thank you to my host, showed everyone the fliers for October, November and December hosts and the October Guest Special. I then told them about the recipes and let them eat and talk. We were expecting about $200 in sales, not kidding here, got $340. But I also have three bookings! 2 November and one December. So I think that is good for me. This hosts last party was over $1000 and she was doing this one as a favor to me so I could get the two partied by the 15th. The other one is a catalog party and I know that one too will only be about $200 but hey, it is two parties and I have a booking from the catalog party for a cooking party! 4 bookings, not a lot of hassle for me at all and everyone enjoyed themselves! Normally I do the booking slide and what not and I know this group is NOT a sign up kind of group, they have already said so. Most of my parties are only 20 minutes of me talking. Afterwards I say, "I am going ot make our recipes now, anyone want to help so we can eat quickly?" I always get those who want to see a tool or just help. Never aproblem. the others talk and sell each other products!

What's wrong with them not moving? It's their party, not yours. I know it's frustrating when you have it planned and want it to go a certain way and then it doesn't. But, you gotta go with the flow.If they just want to sit and relax and socialize, just do your demo and keep talking. They'll either listen or they won't. If they won't, that's fine. While they're eating, go up and talk to them individually or in small groups about what products they're thinking about, or what questions they have. Sometimes you just get crowds that don't want to listen to you. Don't get all stressed over it. Just let them have a good time.

I feel your pain with the "socializing" kind of groups. Feels like High School all over again and I'm the unpopular one who wants to shout "listen to me!!". Tonight I tried something different and it seemed to work well. I was making two recipes, the pull apart pizza (my new fave!) and a micro cake. For the pull apart pizza I told them "now, I'm looking for volunteers, if you don't step up, you'll be volun-told..." but in a funny way, they laughed. I had someone use a knife, someone do the food chopper, when it was time to open a can I said "Who HATES their can opener!?" and had three ppl jump up! One used the can opener (I sold 4, and only had 6 orders!), etc. I did some of the steps too, but mostly had them do it, and we went at a fairly relaxed pace. 7 people were there, and almost everyone did something, but I didn't make it feel forced. I also gave them tickets for doing things and we did a raffle at the end. I gave away two prizes, and they were so happy for a citrus peeler! For the mico cake, I did it myself, and had about half chatting, the other half were really into it, cause they didn't believe I could make a cake in the microwave!

Also, this was new for me too... I didn't give out my packets (catalogs, etc) until the food was in the oven. So no one could ignore me! During the demo it was eyes on me, then for the 5-7 mins it was in the oven, did my booking speil and handed out catalogs. Booked 2 shows out of the 7 guests (one didn't even order, so poo on her...), and it's at about $1200 right now! (Had an awesome host, she had $450 in outside orders before I even showed up!)

So, like Keith said, go with the flow, and you change your show until you feel comfortable. This was I think one of the first times I felt really comfortable with my format and wasn't stressing about forgetting something, or feeling like that really bad comic everyone is booing!

Good Luck!

leftymac said:
What's wrong with them not moving? It's their party, not yours. I know it's frustrating when you have it planned and want it to go a certain way and then it doesn't. But, you gotta go with the flow.

If they just want to sit and relax and socialize, just do your demo and keep talking. They'll either listen or they won't. If they won't, that's fine. While they're eating, go up and talk to them individually or in small groups about what products they're thinking about, or what questions they have.

Sometimes you just get crowds that don't want to listen to you. Don't get all stressed over it. Just let them have a good time.

Well said. This is what I was thinking too. Sometimes the show you thought went the worse will have the best "reviews". Let them have fun and they'll invite you back.

My show is not fully interactive because I am not as comfortable with it. I have evolved to having everyone stand around and help as they're comfortable. If they're in chairs most are not going to help but if they're standing at the island or table it's natural for them to be doing and it's not a "come to the front of the class" feeling.

I do the fully interactive. It's rare for anyone to sit on the couch & not participate. They do talk and chat a LOT during the assembly part of the demo, they also have a lot of laughs at one another trying to figure out how to use the tools (especially the can opener). I only expect to keep their attention for the special military base shipping regulations and to quickly run through the booking/recruiting slide & the upcoming specials. Oh, and the door prize drawing of course! :D

I do fully interactive also. I think it's in your presentation. You said you "were taking volunteers." They chose not to volunteer. I open bt asking how many have been to a PC party before( I always say party- setting the mood) I then tell them that "those of you that have been to parties before have probably been expected to sit quietly and listen and even possibly take notes( exaggerate)! I then proceed to tell them that I appreciate the time that they have taken out of their busy schedules to be with us that night and that I hope they are ready to party. I inform them that we are going to build this recipe together because I have met too many guests that have bought PC products, don't know how to use them, and throw them under the counter or in a yard sale. That is just a shame! At this point I have 2-3 people nodding their heads in agreement. I ask them to all wash their hands and the hostess shows them where to go. If someone doesn't want to participate- no biggie. But usually what happen is they see how much fun the others are having and want in on it too.

Also- set only a few chairs out in your demo area only if your host says there is going to be someone who can't stand for about 15-20 min.

Good Luck!

I am with Keith here.....you really just have to go w/ the flow.....I have been doing this 5 months now and have seriously had all kinds of levels of interaction....my show last week had 3 new moms, w/2 of the babies there....and 15 ladies total....they really just wanted to chat and catch up and look thru the catalogs.....so I just made the California Club Pizza and let them do their thing.....
Don't stress it....if they want to help out, they will....if not, just let them cruise thru the catalogs! Closed the show w/ $1100 in sales! Every order but one got the free cookbook! You can do it! Just keep your chin up!
Every show can't be the same, that's what keeps us on our toes!
~Abigail

Maybe you could go the army route. "I need 3 volunteers, YOU, YOU, and YOU!"

:) That's not really what I do, but I have learned that just asking for volunteers doesn't always work. I usually break into the crowd by saying, "Karen, would you peel this potato for me? and Jean, would you read each step of the recipe?" Then they feel they are helping me out, not really volunteering. I do get no's, but not very often. If they say no, I say "No problem, how about you Jennifer?"

I agree, you have to go with the flow. I had one a couple of weeks ago, and they were so chatty. I couldn't get their attention for anything and the kitchen was kinda small so the group was flowing out of the room. I had a couple of people close to me helping and then I just gave them all the important info and told them where and how to order. I had over $800 in orders that night and 5 bookings. Living proof that sometimes we just need to SHUT UP!!!!! They will ask the questions. If they feel comfortable and relaxed, then they will be more likely to book.

I break each recipe into about 15 steps plus the recipe reader. I cut each step into slips of paper, numbered 1-15. Each person picks a slip or two and together they make the recipe. This has worked out great and everyone has a lot of fun. No one makes a fuss about anything.

That's a good idea too olson! I have an average attendance of like 6-7 right now, so it's not so bad to just pick someone, but that is a good idea of picking slips so they are prepared. They also appreciated the raffle tix i gave them so they got rewarded for helping. One persons job was just to open a can with a can opener, and she said "I get tix for that?!" hehe, she was excited.

1. How can I stay motivated to interact with difficult people day after day?

It can be challenging to maintain motivation when dealing with difficult people, but one strategy is to remind yourself of the bigger picture. Focus on the positive aspects of your job, such as helping customers find the perfect products or making a positive impact on someone's day. It's also important to practice self-care and set boundaries to prevent burnout.

2. How do you handle rude or disrespectful customers?

In these situations, it's important to remain calm and professional. Listen actively to the customer's concerns and try to find a solution that satisfies both parties. If the customer continues to be rude or disrespectful, it's okay to involve a manager or politely end the interaction.

3. What if a customer is unhappy with their purchase and takes it out on me?

First and foremost, it's important to remember that the customer's dissatisfaction is not a reflection of your worth as an employee. Try to empathize with the customer and find a solution to their issue. If the customer becomes verbally or physically aggressive, do not engage and seek assistance from a manager.

4. How do you handle a customer who constantly complains or nitpicks?

Dealing with a constantly complaining or nitpicking customer can be draining, but it's important to remain professional and address their concerns. Listen actively and try to find a solution to their complaints. If the behavior continues, politely redirect the conversation back to the products or services being offered.

5. How can I improve my interactions with difficult customers?

There are a few techniques that can help improve your interactions with difficult customers. First, actively listen and validate their concerns. This can help diffuse the situation and make the customer feel heard. It's also important to maintain a positive and empathetic attitude, and to practice patience and understanding. Remember that difficult customers are often dealing with their own frustrations and it's not personal.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampered.chris
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
StacieB
  • Sheila
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • Kathytnt