• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Turning Discouragement into Encouragement: My Journey as a Director

In summary, the director is trying to figure out why her business is slow and she has some advice for the consultant. They both say that things happen for a reason and that there must be a reason why the previous shows were cancelled. The consultant should keep going and focus on her team, confidence is key.
NewbyPChef
I have been working this business for a year now alongside a full time job, and I promoted to director on April 1. I maintained the title in April and will also maintain in May, but I am worried about my business. I am in a bookings slump. I have 2 June bookings (if they hold) and that's it, but I really want to have a strong June. I decided to host a HWC show at my house next weekend. I sent out 240 emails to customers in the area and mailed out 130 along with mini catalogs and the HWC flyer showing the products. I have a friend coming and bringing her mom and another friend coming. No customers have RSVP'd. I even sent out an email 4 days after the initial invite saying if you RSVP in the next 24 hours I'll give you 3 extra chances to win in the drawing and gave a sneak peak of what I am giving away (Over $300 in products including the new food processor!). No response. You would think between the good cause and the generous giveaways I would get SOMETHING to get my business cranking again! I also said in the invitation I would give an extra 10% discount to anyone who placed an order on the show (so past hosts get 20%). I am really discouraged. I know I am a good consultant. I love the products, I am reliable, courteous and upbeat. If I say I will email a recipe out I email it as soon as I get home. If someone needs a replacement part or an exchange, I am ON IT. People tell me I am pleasure to order from. I pride myself on my customer service. I am a GOOD consultant! I need some encouragement and advice! I know I need to get on the phone today and tomorrow and ask people to come....but I am just tired of talking to voice mailboxes! Its hard not to take it personally when I can't get a single person to answer their phone when I call!

Re: SlumpWe are so much alike....I too just passed my 1 year anniversary and promoted to Director as of April 1st. I've been plugging along this past year with tons of shows and bookings. My last 4 shows, zero bookings. 2 May hosts cancelled but will reschedule and now 2 June hosts just did the same thing....I too started to get a little frustrated. I really 2nd guessed myself, even thinking of quitting, but thinking, how could I, I worked so hard to get here....

So, I finally broke down and emailed my Director. She right away wanted to meet with me, but our schedules didn't work, so instead we did a 11pm late night phone chat.....

This is basically what she said to me....

God has a plan for everyone. Things happen for a reason. There has to be a reason why those shows were cancelled. Maybe He knew you had other things going on, with family or just for yourself....

She also told me that maybe now is just not a booking time for me, she said also that she really can't suggest any other way to get bookings because she know's I'm doing it already. Keep going for the No's and soon the Yeses will appear again.

She is so RIGHT!!! So, I decided that since majority of my team was so new, and most were going to be having shows in May, that I would really concentrate on MY TEAM. Hold extra meetings, 1 on 1 meetings, phone calls with them, basically give that EXTRA TLC to my team while my calendar is slow.

I have accepted now that I don't have much going on over the next 2 months and will continue to do what I have been doing to get bookings and recruits and go from there.
Also, and this is something my Director said to me....it's good that I'm going through something like this, and will work my way out of it, so that one day if any of my team goes through this same circumstance, I will now have that experience to get them through it just like I did. It's so true.

Hope that helps!!! :)

Re: SlumpPeople don't RSVP. That's just a fact. OR they wait until the day before and when they know that nothing more important is going on - then they'll call and let you know they are coming. You have a whole week yet before your show - I'd start calling people and doing reminders. Email isn't the most reliable way to depend on RSVP's anyway - you need to call! ;)

What I always tell my hosts : "If you call them, they will come. The ones who are called and reminded will be the ones who attend."

Re: SlumpI am finding that not everyone is addicted to the computer as I am. I have relatives that check their emails once every couple of weeks. That's not going to help get them to the party on time!

Re: SlumpSorry to say this but....this is a VERY encouraging post to me!!! I am also in a slump. I have only been doing this for a couple of months, but for my last four party's NO ONE has booked. Everyone that I talk to that is interested in a party wants to wait until July. I thought that I was doing something wrong, but I am really thinking that it is just bad timing for A LOT of people.

Re: Slump
forever their mom said:
Sorry to say this but....this is a VERY encouraging post to me!!! I am also in a slump. I have only been doing this for a couple of months, but for my last four party's NO ONE has booked. Everyone that I talk to that is interested in a party wants to wait until July. I thought that I was doing something wrong, but I am really thinking that it is just bad timing for A LOT of people.

ARe they wanting to wait because of schedules or because of the hostess special? I haven't even shared the special yet- want to make sure I'm fully booked for June.

Keep on keepingon. Stay on the phone. Remember, the road to "yes" is paved with "no's." It's all goes hand in hand.

Re: SlumpKandykis1006, Gina, thanks so much for sharing what your director said.

she is SO right.

I have a couple of people I need to share this with...

Re: SlumpI ask for bookings in May, but the answer is I am too busy right now. I then share May's host special and they still tell me that they are just too busy. I offer them rewards from me if they book in May...they are still too busy. We talk a little more and then I share with them June specials and they seem more interested, but they are still too busy. As a last resort, when I am absolutely sure that they will not be booking for May or June, I share the specials for July. Everyone that showed interest, but was too busy.....NOW seems to have enough time to have a party. I hate to not share July specials, because they were truly NOT going to book for May or June. I am afraid to let them go without booking something. I have wondered if it is just the specials, me, or the timing with school ending and spring sports.
I have to believe that something will come up..if I keep asking!!! I REFUSE TO GIVE UP!!!

Re: SlumpJust keep asking and doing what you are doing....the YESES will come!!! Keep track of those No's while you are waiting!!!
Those that are too busy right now...ask them again when you do the out of the box calls....
In between shows, work on other ways to get bookings; vendor fairs, bringing a recipe to your bank or hair salon, host your own open house, call past hosts whose PHD is about to expire.
Don't always rely on your shows to get bookings....We are all here to help each other!!!

Re: Slump
forever their mom said:
I ask for bookings in May, but the answer is I am too busy right now. I then share May's host special and they still tell me that they are just too busy. I offer them rewards from me if they book in May...they are still too busy. We talk a little more and then I share with them June specials and they seem more interested, but they are still too busy. As a last resort, when I am absolutely sure that they will not be booking for May or June, I share the specials for July. Everyone that showed interest, but was too busy.....NOW seems to have enough time to have a party. I hate to not share July specials, because they were truly NOT going to book for May or June. I am afraid to let them go without booking something. I have wondered if it is just the specials, me, or the timing with school ending and spring sports.
I have to believe that something will come up..if I keep asking!!! I REFUSE TO GIVE UP!!!

Find out what products they REALLY want bad! Then say I will give you that for example: 50% or 60% off if you host a show with me this month! O whenever you are trying to book.
Also, suggest a catalog show. Even if they can't get enough orders for a show you can combine several people's orders and split the host rewards.

1. How did you become a Director at Pampered Chef?

I have always been passionate about cooking and entertaining, and I was introduced to Pampered Chef by a friend who hosted a party. I fell in love with the products and the company's mission, so I joined as a consultant. Through hard work, dedication, and consistently achieving my goals, I was able to promote to Director within a year.

2. What inspired you to write the book "Turning Discouragement into Encouragement"?

As a Director, I have faced many challenges and setbacks, and I realized that many other leaders in the company were going through similar struggles. I wanted to share my journey and the lessons I learned along the way to inspire and encourage others to keep pushing through their own obstacles.

3. What was the biggest hurdle you had to overcome on your journey as a Director?

The biggest hurdle for me was learning to manage and motivate a team. As a consultant, I was used to working independently, but as a Director, I had to learn how to lead and support a group of consultants. It took time and effort, but I eventually found a leadership style that worked for me and my team.

4. What advice do you have for others who are feeling discouraged in their business or career?

My biggest advice is to never give up and to surround yourself with positive and supportive people. It's natural to face challenges and setbacks, but it's important to remember that they are temporary and can be overcome with determination and a positive mindset. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help or advice from others who have been in a similar situation.

5. How has being a Director at Pampered Chef impacted your life?

Becoming a Director at Pampered Chef has been a life-changing experience for me. Not only have I been able to grow and develop as a leader, but I have also formed incredible friendships and connections with consultants and customers. I have also been able to achieve financial stability and flexibility, allowing me to spend more time with my family and pursue my passions outside of work.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Bren706
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Bren706
  • Amyskitchen2
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
dme.grant
Replies