• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Need Encouragement or I'm Throwing in the Towel...

In summary, a fourth show in a row just canceled and the author has run out of options and is discouraged. She loves the product and offers encouragement, but the product can be hard to sell. She suggests changing strategies, doing a fair, and reaching out to people from her past.
BeckyC5830
My fourth show in a row just cancellled! I have nothing for June and a limited calendar in the month of June due to my daughter's graduation and open house and MIL 80th b'day. I just signed on in early February and have had very successful shows, but the bookings I've had seem to cancel on me. I love Pampered Chef! Give me a show and I will sell! I love selling a product I believe in! I love the diversion of every day family life with teenagers and a mother with alzheimers. I thought I was very good at host coaching, even sending out invitations, but the last two hosts didn't want me to send them out -- were they thinking of canceling even when they were commiting to me? I'm so discouraged I can't stand it. My last show was $1,000, which I got my last canceled booking off of. Yes, I'm really discouraged, but I'm running out of options, my list of 100 is almost gone and the people I'm hoping for won't return my call -- caller ID screening -- running to the other side of the road. And, I'm not a hard sell..... and don't want to be. I've tried Pampering a Business at three different businesses and haven't had success, I've done a few booths now with mixed results. I leave my old catalogs everywhere. I leave mini-catalogs tucked inside women's magazines where ever I can. Give me some words of encouragement or I'm ordering my kit enhancement and saying goodbye!ETA: The fourth cancellation called tonight during the dinner hour when my DH and I were out to dinner. She left a message with my dear 15 yo son. I returned the call within ten minutes and got her voice mail. I offered to reschedule with her. Plus I told her she had thought a few people would book from her and asked her for their names so I could contact them and she could reschedule her show from them. Worst case I asked her to send back the host packet and to call me for my address.

Last edited:
You can't control life...people will cancel. You can't take it personally, consider it just business. ...just keep chugging. Everyone in EVERY business, not just DS has ups and downs. Would Bill Gates be a millionaire if he gave up the first time someone said no?You should read the book "Go for No", it will really change your perspective on things. ...you can't judge a business in 4 months...you haven't even really given it a shot.You love PC and the product, that is half the battle! Deep breathe and chug on...

You don't need anyone to talk you into staying, you just need to breathe :) As I understand it, summers are hard no matter what...you are doing the right things but maybe just expecting them to turn out too perfectly? You have had great sized shows, you have worked your list of 100 with much more success than I have (I ran through that long ago). You just need a few bookings and to get outside of your own circle.Instead of just leaving materials, maybe switch to the approach of thanking people you interact with by giving them a sizzling good recipe card and letting them know they can call on you to make it for them if they don't even want to make it on their own first. Have you found a fair? That's what I'm doing now, looking for a fair to participate in.I'm also throwing a workshop where people take their own meals home with them...there's no way this wouldn't appeal to some of the previous "no's" on your list. Even previous hosts on my list are participating. When they bring their friends, which they will, that expands your circle.Chin up...and expect this not to be super easy or predictable. It's fun and, as you already know, that's a huge part of it.

When I had my 1st few cancellations I also wanted to throw in the towel. I actually called my sister in tears telling her this wasnt for me.

You said you did a few booths with mixed results, have you called everyone who filled out a slip? If you dont mind putting out a little money you could offer them a free cooking show. Tell them that they won the 2nd prize which is the free cooking show.

If you really love doing PC then dont give up, it sounds like you really have it in you to keep going. Is there anyone you havent talked to that was not on your list of 100?
You could also do an open house for HWC and see if you can get any additional bookings off that. Whoever you invite encourage them to bring a friend who has yet to attend 1 of your shows.

Trust me it happens to all of us! I know a director who has been in the business for 4 years who has no shows on the books after today! She's not giving up, she'll keep trying. Why not call all your past guests and do an out of the box call. Make sure they have their products out of the box, see if they have any questions and if there is anything you can do for them.

To echo Wadesgirl, I've had NO shows on the books for the entire year so far. I have never gone inactive and haven't purchased for myself to stay active either. I've gotten calls out of the blue of people looking for stuff. Just keep working...make sure your name in on everything you hand out.

Hang in there. And to look on the positive side. At least they called you! I made a great dessert and drove to the house and sat outside for 30 minutes. No one was home and no one showed up. All this after talking with the "Host" on Wed and confirmed time, location and how many people she had showing up. Oh well, took the dessert to a friends house showed her the recipe cards and took an order from her and her daughter.

When life gives you lemon, make lemonade add a little vodka and enjoy life!

Rae...please post the advice thread that you meant to post. You posted this thread! It is early!!!!

I'm relatively new too - and I've been doing just enough to stay active. We are getting ready for a WOW month in June. Ask your upline if they could give you some training in this. Basically, the idea behind it is you aren't going to get shows if you aren't asking. Set time aside each day to call at least 3 people a day and ask them. You'll get "no"s, don't let it bother you! Move on to the next people to call. Out of people to call? Move on to the real world. Have a conversation with people in line while you wait to pay. Give a business card - ask for referrals if they aren't interested! Set a goal and WORK work work towards it ;) YoU can do it!!!!!!!

11:15 AM ??? It's 7:15 AM here ... and pacific time is usually earlier than us, not later?! What's going on LOL

I know exactly how you feel! I felt the same way along about my 4th month as a consultant. This business can be very cylical. First things first - you need to decide if you want to stay or you want to go. Once you decide that then take the appropriate steps. If you want to go, those steps wil be really easy - but will you regret it? If you want to stay, those steps will take a little work to climb - but they will be rewarding! Here are some ideas for you:

1) Take the online training courses
2) Buy some of the CDs from supply
3) are you doing the 3 in your 3-2-1? If not, get started. There truly is no secret to this business and no magical answer. If you talk to the top sellers in the company they will tell you that they make at least 3 contacts a day!
4) do you have any logo shirts? Wear them! I get stopped all the time when I'm wearing mine.
5) Drop off catalogs (old / new / mini) in any waiting room you find. I drop mine off in Dr. offices and Hospital waiting rooms and I have had calls.
6) strike-up conversations with the cashier at the store
7) So you have friends or family that are out of state? Get them to do catalog shows for you
8) Ask (beg) your best friend to host a show
9) This one always works well for me: Do you have any other friends who are in direct sales who live near you? If so, all of you get together and do a combo open house. Offer it as a "Multi Vendor Open House" and each of you do it as a Mystery Host. Each of you will need to invite EVERYONE that you know (that way you can each feed off of each other's customers). Search the files, you'll fins some info on this.
10) Breathe, you will be okay!

Good luck in whichever path you decide to take :)

The good thing is there are bad months and then you may be sailing along for a long time. People cancel, but do they say why? Just the other night I was confirming some things with a host for today. My husband overheard me say "How many is not too many?" in response to the host. He asked later (b/c he's protective of me going 45 minutes away for a 3 person show) and it's 10 people! SO...our perception can be different than there's. YES, a 20+ show is great but 10 people is great too! She probably invited 40-50 people and this is a bad weekend for them.So ask them why they are canceling. They may not think you need to know. I've had people think because they haven't sent the invites over a week in advance, there is no to do it. All sorts of things that really aren't a big deal. So definitely talk to them.I'm sorry you feel people are avoiding you. Ask someone that you know will be honest (and likely to hear from others on the list) if they really are avoiding you. People do have their own busy lives and distractions and they just might not be aware that you feel avoided.good luck!

I am singing your same song. In 3 1/2 years I have never had so many cancellations in one month. My May was looking like the best I ever had and now 5 cancellations...all for May. Thank goodness I have other shows; still have 3 more for May BUT the thing that gets me is they are all last minute cancellations. I understand things come up but...seriously...24 hours before a show? Even with the host coaching calls....why can't they just be honest with me so I have the opportunity to book another show OR just make personal plans. I keep telling myself "don't let the inconsiderate hosts ruin it for the good hosts". I have no plans to stop selling PC....I love this business to much for that. Hang in there; I have never encountered this many so hopefully it is just a short bad spell.

Don't give up. There are ups and downs. Just keep going. One "bad" month should not be a career ender. Persistance is worthwhile. Have a long term vision -- that will help you overcome shor term obstacles.

Good Luck!!

What great and specific advice Linda! Will need to remember this for whenever a teammate is feeling a bit daunted. Thanks!

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement and great suggestions on how to proceed. Everyone is right that I was very frustrated when I got the message that the fourth show was cancelled. I need to learn that in this business people will cancel for whatever reason and that it's not a reflection on me and I shouldn't take it personally. That will be the hardest step for me, not taking it personally.

(I remember one of the training courses I listened to on my I-Pod suggested rewarding oneself after so many no's. Maybe this is something I need to do to harden myself to the no's.)

I took the weekend off from PC. It was my daughter's senior prom, so we were busy with all the activities getting ready for the prom and all the after prom excitement. Then I was planning more graduation open house details and yardwork. I realized that this was the first weekend in three and a half months that I took a solid break from PC (although I was thinking about PC while gardening :blushing:). I think I've thrown myself into PC so much in the past few months that I haven't taken any time for what I enjoy in my life. It's way too easy to spend tons of time on PC being a SAHM with older kids. I need to find the balance. I need to replenish my soul with what I enjoy so I can give fully to everyone and everything else.

I really appreciate the steps that PamperedLinda suggested to get me going again. And, Rae, thank you so much for the link to the other thread with your great suggestions too. Your statement hit home, "Are you makings sure that the majority of your time working on your PC business is spent doing income-generating activities such as calls, host coaching, etc." Maybe I spend too much time on this wonderful website getting great ideas... And then maybe I'm spending too much time playing 'office'.

I like what Pat said too, "...don't let the inconsiderate hosts ruin it for the good hosts." It's so true if I base my decision on staying or not based on a few hosts that cancel, it would be terribly unfair to me and my business. Again, it's me not taking things personally.

So I'm getting back on the horse this morning, but will not eat, drink and breathe Pampered Chef like I was before. But I will BREATHE.... It's just about time for me to do the Customer Care calls on my $1000 show and hope to stir some activity from those calls. I will do some more training and listen to the training I have on my IPod while working in my garden and playing with my dog. And I'm going to go out of my way to drop some catalogs off at some hospital waiting rooms in our area. I already am a walking billboard with PC logo tote and jogging suit, but I may need to get a magnetic sign for my car.

I have a wonderful Director who was my friend for many years before I joined PC. I will talk with her this evening on our way out to a meeting with our Sr. Executive Director. I'm going to assumed that by 9 pm tonight I will be pumped again!

So thank you everyone for the great advice when I was really down and frustrated. Hopefully I can report back later that I've booked at least a show to make up for the one I lost the other day.

So glad to hear you have reevaluated and it seems like you are on your way to having a great balance to you biz and life. We all need to go over our priorities once in a while. I love this biz because we can change it to suit our needs.

Good luck!

I'm glad that you found the encouragement you needed to move on.
I have read this post as well as the "sitting on the fence post" and I am still frustrated and struggling. Not only did I have a total of 7 shows cancel in May and June combined. I am looking at 0 shows after the end of May. I have posted elsewhere on here on where to look for new business and have had no pay off in my efforts over the last month. To top it off I have had a series of unhappy customers and my customer care calls have become a nightmare. One even said that she will no longer order from PC because they would not replace a deep covered baker that broke while she was washing it. She has had 2 very successful shows for me this year and said if anyone questions her she will tell them how bad the company is. I also lost a recruit to another consultant because she didn't tell either of us she was working with someone else. At this point I think people suck and so does this business.
I have talked to my husband and family and nobody really understands. I am a SAHM and this was my only source of income, so I really needed to make it work. After a year of continuous let down, I think I may be finished. Yes, I've talked with my upline and I am doing my best to keep moving forward especially with conference right around the corner but with NOTHING on my calendar it is hard to keep my chin up.:(

I'm glad I read this post...I feel less frustrated now. I've been upset w/ myself since after countless calls to everyone I know, every customer I've had, I still only have 2 shows for June. I wanted $6000 in sales, especially since I just surpassed the 10K career sales mark and I got laid off my weekend job. But...God works mysteriously and maybe this is his way of saying I've been taking on too much in my life. I'm going back to Graduate School this summer part-time. Perhaps I should just worry less about my sales and the free stuff I could earn and more on my schooling. I can focus much more when I'm out of school! Take the pressure off yourself and let life happen as it will--God has a plan and we just may not understand it!

What are some tips for staying motivated in my Pampered Chef business?

1. Set achievable goals: Having clear and attainable goals can help keep you motivated and give you a sense of direction in your business.

2. Surround yourself with positivity: Surrounding yourself with other successful Pampered Chef consultants and attending company events can help keep you motivated and inspired.

3. Stay organized: Having a well-organized workspace and schedule can help you stay on track and avoid feeling overwhelmed or discouraged.

4. Celebrate small victories: Don't wait for big accomplishments to celebrate - acknowledging and celebrating small successes along the way can help keep you motivated and encouraged.

5. Remember your why: When you feel like giving up, remember why you started your Pampered Chef business and the goals and dreams you have for yourself and your family.

How can I overcome a slump in my Pampered Chef business?

1. Re-evaluate your goals: If you're feeling stuck or unmotivated, it may be time to reassess your goals and make any necessary adjustments.

2. Try new strategies: If your current methods aren't working, don't be afraid to try new things and see what works for you.

3. Reach out for support: Don't be afraid to reach out to your upline, fellow consultants, or the Pampered Chef community for support and advice.

4. Focus on customer service: Providing exceptional customer service can help attract repeat customers and boost your business.

5. Take a break: Sometimes a short break can help you recharge and come back to your business with renewed motivation and energy.

How do I handle rejection or negative feedback from potential customers?

1. Don't take it personally: Remember that rejection or negative feedback is not a reflection of you as a person, but rather a personal choice of the customer.

2. Use it as a learning experience: Ask for feedback and use it to improve your business and services.

3. Focus on the positive: Remember that one rejection or negative experience does not define your entire business. Focus on the positive interactions and successes you've had.

4. Keep a positive attitude: Maintaining a positive attitude can help you handle rejection and negative feedback in a more productive and professional manner.

5. Move on: Don't dwell on rejection or negative feedback. Instead, focus on finding new potential customers and growing your business.

What are some ways to stay organized and manage my time effectively as a Pampered Chef consultant?

1. Use a planner or calendar: Keeping a planner or calendar can help you stay on top of appointments, events, and important tasks.

2. Prioritize tasks: Make a list of tasks each day and prioritize them to ensure that the most important ones get completed first.

3. Schedule time for your business: Set aside specific blocks of time each day or week to focus solely on your Pampered Chef business.

4. Utilize technology: There are many helpful apps and tools available to help you stay organized and manage your time effectively.

5. Delegate tasks: Don't be afraid to ask for help or delegate tasks to others, whether it's family members or fellow consultants, to help free up more time for your business.

How can I effectively market my Pampered Chef business?

1. Utilize social media: Social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram are great ways to reach a large audience and showcase your products and services.

2. Host parties and events: Hosting in-home or virtual parties can help you reach potential customers and showcase Pampered Chef products in a fun and interactive way.

3. Attend vendor events: Consider setting up a booth at local vendor events or fairs to reach a wider audience and promote your business.

4. Offer specials and promotions: Offering specials or promotions can help attract new customers and encourage repeat business.

5. Utilize word-of-mouth marketing: Encourage satisfied customers to spread the word about your business and offer incentives for referrals.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Bren706
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Bren706
Replies
Views
Bren706
  • NewbyPChef
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies