• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Troubleshooting the Ultimate Mandoline: Tips for Perfect Tomato Slices

the blades will not slice through.I like the new Ultimate Mandoline! I think the trick is to let the mandline do the work - don't push down on the food holder.The video is coming soon. I'm anxious to see it. I think mine is defective because the blade never opens.
schel
Ok, I used my new Ultimate Mandoline yesterday morning and I HATE it! My tomatos were MUSH...
What could I be doing wrong?
Any advise? Anyone else with the same problem?
Thanks.
Schel

I am not a fan of it too.. I like the one now. Look under "New Ultimate Mandoline... " there is a thread about it.. I am going to pratice more.
Good Luck..:)

I don't think they can get this too us soon enough!Instructional Video for Ultimate Mandoline

In response to your requests, we’re happy to inform you that an instructional video on the new Ultimate Mandoline is being developed and will be posted on Consultant’s Corner soon. We will notify you in an upcoming Weekly Bites when it is available to view.

I'm also anxious to see that video. I used mine for tomatoes too....first I was bummed because my nice big tomato was TOO big for the holder, so I had to cut it a coulple times so it would fit. Then, I still couldn't get it to slice. I'm not giving up though; try, try again!

I love it for slicing tomatoes. I think the trick is to let the mandline do the work - don't push down on the food holder.

There is a knack to it. Its great once you get it going!

I still have not had a successful slice on this - not ONE!
I am anxious to see the video because I'm pretty sure mine is defective. The blade never opens.

Anyway - I will be contacting the HO soon for a replacement if the video doesn't help. How can I demonstrate and sell these if I can't slice one thing??? :eek:

I do not know if I will be demostrating mine or not. I crinkled potatoes the other night but I had to use all my strength to get it done. And I did not like having some left in the food holder either - I do not like to waste. Then when I did cucumbers, they were mushed. I have not tried a tomato yet. I have vowed to not use the old one and MAKE myself fall in love with the new one. I am USING the new one but I am not anywhere near LOVING it.

The other day I had someone ask me if I liked the new or old one best. I could not lie! I just said the old one but the new one is much safer and that was really the most important thing.:eek:

I agree with all of you. When I slice an onion most of the time I have to cut the onion a few times before it fits..and that just annoys me and then on top of that the last piece of onion gets caught in the blade and now how do you get it out? I have to try to get the blade open to release that last piece.

But I do love the way my tomatoes are sliced. Its a thicker slice than the old USG.

I guess in time I will grow to love it.. but right now I'm not sure.

I like the new one better... I was always so paranoid about the old one! The new one holds more food in the holder, too... it's taller, and I like that.

I made some awesome homemade potato chips with mine the other day, and they turned out great.

I'm so sad, though... I dropped the food holder on my kitchen floor the other day... and one part that pushes the blade up BROKE! Chipped off! :eek: Since I got it for free, I don't think it has a warranty... so I'll just order a replacement slider, but still... I was just getting used to it, and I was showing it off that afternoon!

Melody,

The free products we earn have a warranty just like the products we sell. You might be able to get the new piece as a replacement part (if you're concerned that dropping it was not "normal" use). If that's not an issue with you, call home office today and let them know it broke.

I adore the new Mandoline! :D

I have had a far easier time of slicing with the new one than the old. I just couldn't get the knack of holding the old food guard just right. With the new one, I don't have to!

My tomatoes, jicama, and cucumbers have come out beautifully. Yes, the trick has been to make sure the food guide on ON correctly, make sure you START on a flat surface of the food item, and to allow the tool to do the work - AND to purchase food in smaller sizes. ;)

If the food guide isn't "threaded" on correctly, the blades won't rise. If you press on the food plunger too hard there's too much pressure on the food to allow it to be sliced cleanly. For that last slice that doesn't come all the way through, use the Bamboo Tongs to push it through or pull it loose.

I feel so much safer using the new one that I don't even mind doing the minimal prep work it takes to get some foods into the hopper (like jicama or cucumbers). It's been well worth it to me to have a tool I'm willing to use. It's been so easy that I'm even thinking that my 6 year old could probably safely use it! :eek:

Great idea about the bamboo tongs!! thanks

agw said:
If the food guide isn't "threaded" on correctly, the blades won't rise. If you press on the food plunger too hard there's too much pressure on the food to allow it to be sliced cleanly. For that last slice that doesn't come all the way through, use the Bamboo Tongs to push it through or pull it loose.

I will have to try it with less pressure b/c I felt like I was giving it all my muscle. I did not use the holder with the other one, so, I need to learn how to actually use the holder this time. Can you come to my house and give me a lesson?:cool:

Thanks for everyones input. I'll keep trying. I hope it works, I do not like selling something I don't love just the same.
Schel

This past Monday at our sales meeting, the directors highly stressed practice practice practice, on a bag of potatoes you got on sale.
They put it in the kitchen for us to practice on after the meeting. It is challenging, but learnable.

It may be good (for me) but I never used the one before this, borrowed my director's. I have the "Vintage" Vario Slicer, which I love. I had so much trouble with the now discontinued one. And scary!! Whew! Very scary for me to even pull those blades out.

The cool thing though is that we have GREAT knives, that I'll probably be more apt to use than the slicer. What I'm thinking now anyway.

Kris

yes, definitely make sure your slider piece is on there right. At first, I didn't have mine on right but it would still slide...only thing is, it wouldn't push down to make the blades come up...now I love it.
Love the crinkle cutter blade

Tried it again and VERY frustrated last night!!!!!!
My tomatoes were MUSH!!
I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Thing is, if we are having such a hard time with this....
What....
are our guests who are not as good in the kitchen going to do with one?
Last thing I need at a show or after I sell one is someone mad about the product and then they don't want to do Pampered Chef anymore. Bookings are hard enough to come by!
I am contacting test kitchens about this and will let everyone know what I hear.
Sorry if I seem "CRABBY" about this but I am frustrated!
Schel :eek:

Watch the Video...Did you read your email today about the Ultimate Madoline video on CC? Well, I watched it and it is VERY HELPFUL!!! :) Colleen

I finally got my blade to open after watching the video :)

I did everything like the video, still mush....
Still not liking it!
It maybe fine for harder type things but for $60.00 it should be fine for ALL things.
Schel

Are you sure the tomatoes you're trying to slice aren't over ripe? I've had no trouble with tomatoes except when I had one that was too soft. They need to still be nice and firm, or they won't slice well...

I really like the new Mandoline! I threw a handful of garlic on the hopper to slice up! AWESOME :)

soccermama said:
I really like the new Mandoline! I threw a handful of garlic on the hopper to slice up! AWESOME :)
LOVE THAT!!!

Just tried mine out finally! I was a little nervous about it so I procrastinated. It worked pretty well for me for doing it the first time. I like the safety feature about it and hopefully after using it more it gets easier to handle.

My point being, so maybe my "garden tomotoes" are softer than the ones you get in the store, however, the ones bought in the store taste like flavored cardbord.
Maybe I am just a picky tomoto person. I did use it for some cukes and it did work for that. I just think they shouldn't have D/C'd the USG. Some people might prefer that one to the UM. Just my poinion. I am glad that I have my original still.

Sorry if I seem OCD on this subject or "crabby" when I chat about this thing!
I will keep trying it, I'm not giving up yet!

Schel

schel: I know what you mean! We're the home of the Jersey Tomato and I can't stand to buy them in the store from God knows where.

What is the "Ultimate Mandoline" and what makes it different from other mandolines?

The "Ultimate Mandoline" is a top-of-the-line kitchen tool designed by Pampered Chef to slice, julienne, and waffle cut fruits and vegetables with ease. It features adjustable stainless steel blades, a comfortable grip handle, and a non-slip base for stability. Unlike other mandolines, it also includes a storage container for collecting sliced ingredients and a safety holder to protect your fingers while slicing.

Is the "Ultimate Mandoline" dishwasher safe?

Yes, all parts of the "Ultimate Mandoline" are dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. However, we recommend hand washing the blades for optimal longevity.

Can the "Ultimate Mandoline" be used for slicing meat or cheese?

No, the "Ultimate Mandoline" is designed specifically for slicing fruits and vegetables. It is not recommended for use with meat or cheese.

How do I adjust the thickness of the slices on the "Ultimate Mandoline"?

The "Ultimate Mandoline" features an easy-to-use knob that allows you to adjust the thickness of the slices from 1/16 inch to 1/4 inch. Simply turn the knob to your desired thickness before slicing.

Is the "Ultimate Mandoline" covered by a warranty?

Yes, the "Ultimate Mandoline" is covered by a limited lifetime warranty. If you experience any defects or issues with your mandoline, please contact Pampered Chef customer service for assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• nancycookspc
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • tinat51796
  • Products and Tips
Replies