• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Really Want to Love the Mandoline...

In summary, the mandoline is a tricky tool to use and it is not practical for most people to use. The blades can be difficult to use and the mandoline is not as good of a quality as other kitchen tools.
pamperedmomto3
Hello! I'm having difficulty falling in love and using the mandoline. I'm a new consultant and have attempted to use the mandoline several times. I've been met with success when grating carrots and slicing onions but I'm stumped when it comes to tomatoes. I don't get nice slices and the tomato mushes. Any suggestions...Also, can anyone give me some tips on how to sell this item as well as a variety of uses.

Thanks!!!

Tomatoes are tricky - they can't be overripe and mushy.

Make sure they are refrigerated first so they are colder and have more structure.

What blade are you using for them?

Use roma tomatoes and the v-blade.

Better yet, use the Green Tomato Knife.

I am not in love with the mandoline either. I would rather show the tomatoe knife, cheese grater, and forged cutlery anytime

I LOVE the US&G

But the mandoline - :thumbdown:

Whenever I used the us&g at shows - well everyone loved it - they would book for that.

Well the mandoline is different - I can't seem to get that thingy to work

I stopped showing the mandoline - tomatoes were a mess - cucumbers looked terrible.

I know that I need to practice more but why

I am so happy that they did replace the us&g because now my us&g is on my counter and I use it every day. Well - at least 5 times a week

I LOVE THE :D US&G :thumbup:

I don't love the mandoline, either. The only time I use it at shows is when we make the 3 Cheese pizza--Mmmm... (slicing roma tomatoes, zucchini, and onion). But when asked honestly how much I use it, I have to admit I only use it at a show for selling. I haven't even taken it to my last, oh, I guess 8 shows. I know it's expensive and brings in good commission, but most of my customers are good friends and I can't bring myself to push the sale of something that isn't practical for me to use. I LOVE PC products, in general, but I'm usually pretty honest with my customers about what items are *most* useful.

Buy a big bag of cheap potatoes and practice, practice, practice. It's really easy once you get the hang of it!

I started making the Raspberry Cran Fizz & it says to slice 2 limes but they just wont SLICE!!!! :eek: :grumpy: :(

Citrus slices best with the V-shaped blade. It's the best blade for citrus and tomatoes.

chefann said:
Citrus slices best with the V-shaped blade. It's the best blade for citrus and tomatoes.
And it has to be fresh. If the skins are slightly soft or too hard it won't work. It works beautifully if the citrus is fresh though.

Sounds so finicky!!

pamperedlinda said:
And it has to be fresh. If the skins are slightly soft or too hard it won't work. It works beautifully if the citrus is fresh though.

Okie Dokie....will give it a try! Thanks!!:chef:

- cucumbers looked terrible.

I use the crinkle-cut blade for cucumbers. It makes pretty slices so the salad doesn't look so humdrum. Also, the cuke slices stay crisper than when using a regular straight blade. This is good for veggie trays, too. The ranch dip stays in the crinkles so you get more. :D

RebelChef said:
I use the crinkle-cut blade for cucumbers. It makes pretty slices so the salad doesn't look so humdrum. Also, the cuke slices stay crisper than when using a regular straight blade. This is good for veggie trays, too. The ranch dip stays in the crinkles so you get more. :D

GREAT Tips...Thanks! :chef:

I don't care for the Ultimate Mandoline, either. I know how to use a regular one, but this one is not very user friendly. food gets stuck in the blades, it dessimates tomatoes, carrots get stuck in it...it falls off the track. I like the ones we use in Culinary School much better, and I know that the PC police will probably come to my door and zap me, but Williams Sonoma sells a much nicer one.

(don't hate the messenger) :)

My director said the USG was perfect, and can't understand why they changed it. She said if you were stupid enough to get your fingers cut on the USG, you shouldn't have been using it to begin with! LOL

My Mandoline just sits in my pantry. Maybe I could sell it on EBay? (KIDDING!!!!!)

i must agree i was too afraid to say anything here about my dissapointment with the mandoline. truthfully as a buying customer i wouldnt pay the amount PC asks for. it is not of the best quality and i have seen better made for less. sorry. I LOVE EVERYTHING ELSE PAMPERED CHEF MAKES AND I LOVE SELLING IT!

28sal said:
i must agree i was too afraid to say anything here about my dissapointment with the mandoline. truthfully as a buying customer i wouldnt pay the amount PC asks for. it is not of the best quality and i have seen better made for less. sorry. I LOVE EVERYTHING ELSE PAMPERED CHEF MAKES AND I LOVE SELLING IT!

Aww, this is a safe place, don't be afraid to say something isn't your favorite. Even if there are people out there that LOVE the mandoline, chances are they don't like something you LOVE. :) It was hard to mention that some one else had a product that I liked better than PC- but it is true, I cannot tell a lie. I wish we had a cherry tree icon!:p

Glad it's not just me. I've practiced with the potatoes, and have those down, along with cukes, but I can't for the life of me get a decent looking tomato slice. I'm with Linda, give the me ugly green tomato knife!!!

Kitchen Diva said:
I don't care for the Ultimate Mandoline, either. I know how to use a regular one, but this one is not very user friendly. food gets stuck in the blades, it dessimates tomatoes, carrots get stuck in it...it falls off the track. I like the ones we use in Culinary School much better, and I know that the PC police will probably come to my door and zap me, but Williams Sonoma sells a much nicer one.

(don't hate the messenger) :)

My director said the USG was perfect, and can't understand why they changed it. She said if you were stupid enough to get your fingers cut on the USG, you shouldn't have been using it to begin with! LOL

My Mandoline just sits in my pantry. Maybe I could sell it on EBay? (KIDDING!!!!!)

They probably changed it because so many people were losing fingertips.

straitfan said:
Glad it's not just me. I've practiced with the potatoes, and have those down, along with cukes, but I can't for the life of me get a decent looking tomato slice. I'm with Linda, give the me ugly green tomato knife!!!
You called it ugly......not me! :D

PLEASE (and onion soup)do not refrigerate your tomatoes. It's hard enough to get a good tomatoe in the winter! Always store your uncut tomatoes on the counter, out of sunlight. They taste better - ok, as good as they can this time of year!

AND:

I love the Mandoline for French Onion Soup. Shows a LOT of tools, and tastes and smells divine!

practice with alot of different blades and foods....I am so glad they changed to the Mandoline although I still use the USG at home! I am glad because I have personally removed entirely too many layers on my knuckle and have far too many customers that did the same....you have no choice but to use the blade guard now and that is a good thing!

Sallie_M said:
do not refrigerate your tomatoes. It's hard enough to get a good tomatoe in the winter! Always store your uncut tomatoes on the counter, out of sunlight. They taste better - ok, as good as they can this time of year!

AND:

I love the Mandoline for French Onion Soup. Shows a LOT of tools, and tastes and smells divine!

And store your tomatoes upside down (storing them in the fridge makes them mealy, but if you put them in for just a few minutes before slicing you should be ok).

What's the US&G? Sorry, new guy on the block.

Ultimate Slice and Grate. It was replaced with the UM, which has some additional safety features but can be fussier to use.

I really want to love it too but it is just something that I don't use in my kitchen. I'm too lazy to take it out, set it up and then have to clean it.:p
I think I have ever sold one.

I signed under the old kit, and I've been debating whether I should spring for the UM or not... this thread has decided it for me. There are products I can push and I can see this just won't be something *I* would be comfortable using... and thus can't comfortably try to actively sell.I love my "ugly" green knives! ;)

It took me four different tries before I got the hang of the UM. Now I love it BUT I was cussing it like a sailor the first few times. I am the type that has to get everything the first time or it makes me mad....and the UM made me mad but since it is something I would be selling I kept up until I got (as some on posted on another thread) the "rhythem" of it. The people I have sold it to I have explained to them that it takes a little getting use to & for them to let me know & I will help them.

I used it a lot when i first got my kit...haven't used it for a while until tonight. I used it to cut onions to make tobacco onions! It worked great!! So quick to slice them! I do like it a lot. Definitely not for limes!

I have the UM, but it sits in my hutch unused because I have the US&G. I like the US&G. I use it to slice onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, and to grate cheese...I hate the cheese grater for soft cheese. I use the cheese grater for chocolate, nuts, parm. cheese and carrots.

urbnk8 said:
I used it a lot when i first got my kit...haven't used it for a while until tonight. I used it to cut onions to make tobacco onions! It worked great!! So quick to slice them! I do like it a lot. Definitely not for limes!

What are these tobacco onions?:)

What are these tobacco onions?

lol I was scared to ask. I was hoping she meant Tabasco. :p

I'm a firm believer that the Mandolin takes some gettin' used to. My husband played with mine forever after I signed up because I didn't like it much...He found THE best ways to grate cheese and slice anything!!! He showed off his skills at our cluster meeting! :D His advice: use it until its comfortable, and try it using with the handle facing you and (especially with cheese) push down instead of the normal sideways way. If that makes any sense at all lol!

I LOVE my UM!! I use it all the time for different things. But my sister hates her's. I keep trying to tell her that we should get together and have a class about it!

I had the hardest time getting the UM to work for me the first time I tried it. I ended up getting my husband in the kitchen and it worked for him the first time he tried it! ROFL.....I told him maybe HE should be selling PC!

Anywhoo....I practiced and practiced with limes and tomatoes and I thought I had it until my first show. I was doing the cran raspberry fizz, and was going to show them how to slice the limes with the UM. I could not get those limes to slice correctly! I don't want to blame the UM entirely, because it probably didn't help that I was nervous seeing as how it was my first show, but I have realized that it is a little touchy sometimes. Then as soon as I got home I got out a lime to try it again, and it worked prefectly!! ARGH! :)

I have never used the US&G, but I have had at least 2 customers who have the UM and the US&G and they like the US&G best. They say the US&G slices thicker than the UM does, and it isn't so difficult to use. I showed one hostess how to adjust the slicing width on her UM, but she still said it wasn't as thick of slices as her US&G.

When you grate cheese at a show what do you use if people aren't using the mandoline?

I don't use the mandoline to grate cheese, I use the deluxe cheese grater.

pamperedmomto3 said:
When you grate cheese at a show what do you use if people aren't using the mandoline?
Personally, I never grate soft cheeses at a show. I either grate them when I am prepping for the show - or I just tell my host to get pre-grated cheese. I do use the mandoline if I need to grate cheese though - so much easier than the deluxe cheese grater....now that is one thing from PC I can do without...in fact, after my third one broke, I never replaced it - don't even have one anymore, and never miss it!

I use my Microplane grater to grate hard cheeses. I LOVE :love: the Microplane Grater!

ChefBeckyD said:
I use my Microplane grater to grate hard cheeses. I LOVE :love: the Microplane Grater!

I second that !!!

:chef:

Loved reading this thread...the Mandoline is why I booked my first PC party and now I'm a consultant. So ironic!

Here's my .02: the mandoline makes quick work of very firm veggies and fruits, even plum tomatoes. I love it for potatoes - slice up some white and sweet, toss with olive oil, a little salt and whatever spices, and bake at 425 until you have almost guilt-free potato chips!

I have to admit, though, that I use the cheese grater, tomato knife, and forged cutlery more often.....

To each her own!

I've tried using it a couple times and have trouble with it. I don't like that I can't put a whole cuke or carrot on it and slice away. I find the guard to be very hard to use.

I'll have to practice more!

I'm in the not-a-big-fan of the UM club, too. I stopped taking it to shows, too, because I never had much luck (especially with cheese, even if I froze it before I tried to grate it). If a hosts asks me about it, I'll bring it. I have even let a couple of hosts keep it for a day or two to play with it. One host, an older lady, absolutely loved it and ordered it as one of her half-price items. The younger gal was too intimidated by it. Maybe it's an "experience" thing. More experienced cooks are more comfortable with it. My host who ordered it said she makes homemade scalloped potatoes frequently and she was very excited about it. I included the care & use guide and the tip sheet that's available on CC. She had no problems. One of these days when I have some free time (anyone have any?! lol) I'll buy some cheap fruit and practice. Good luck with it!

I'm on anti-coagulants and am so happy they redesigned the mandoline! (I'm not allowed to bleed.) It is so safe now. I show it at almost every show.

https://www.pamperedchef.com/repsonly/product_information/product_demo_video.jsp

About midway down the page...watch the demo videos about the UM. One thing I have changed since watching these...how I hold onto the food plunger. Watch how they are NOT pushing down on the plunger...their fingers are UNDER the plunger till it gets down closer to the end of the food. I don't push down on it at all till then. I let gravity pull the food down with each pass. Then, even when I move my hand to be on TOP of the plunger, I still do not apply too much pressure. If you push too hard, the food gets stuck in the blade terribly.

It certainly takes some practice, and I still only like doing potatoes and onions...or using the grater blade for cheese. I am another consultant who REALLY dislikes the deluxe cheese grater. I LOVE our microplane grater though!!

RaggedyAunt said:
I'm in the not-a-big-fan of the UM club, too. I stopped taking it to shows, too, because I never had much luck (especially with cheese, even if I froze it before I tried to grate it). If a hosts asks me about it, I'll bring it. I have even let a couple of hosts keep it for a day or two to play with it. One host, an older lady, absolutely loved it and ordered it as one of her half-price items. The younger gal was too intimidated by it. Maybe it's an "experience" thing. More experienced cooks are more comfortable with it. My host who ordered it said she makes homemade scalloped potatoes frequently and she was very excited about it. I included the care & use guide and the tip sheet that's available on CC. She had no problems. One of these days when I have some free time (anyone have any?! lol) I'll buy some cheap fruit and practice. Good luck with it!

Meijers has lemons and limes $2 a bag right now!:)

I have always used a mandoline--use to use another brand and ended up cutting the tip of my finger off. Had to go to the husband hours before I was hosting a party--though still had it with a slithly smaller finger. My husband is glad for PC's because of it doesn't work without the guard. The only thing I wish PC had on theirs is the julienne blade.
Andrea

I tell my finger story everytime I use the mandoline to try to sell it!

RaggedyAunt said:

My boyfriend is a chef & when I was having no luck what so ever he got it from me & started slicing like it was no big deal. So I agree with the "experience" might help.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cwinter474
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • alustizanicole
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
adgal27
Replies