• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tomatoes on the Ultimate Mandoline

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of slicing tomatoes on the UM using the v-blade. Suggestions are made to use firm Roma or Plum tomatoes and to guide the tomato rather than pressing or pushing. It is also mentioned that refrigerating the tomato may help with slicing, but it will affect the flavor. Some individuals have become more skilled with the mandoline by using different pressure on the way down and up.
tinat51796
Does anyone else have trouble slicing tomatoes on the UM? The last two shows that I've done where we needed to slice tomatoes using the v-blade the tomatoes mostly just turned to mush. Am I doing something wrong? I really like it for everything else (except cheese) but it's embarrassing when the guests try to slice the tomato and it doesn't work. Any suggestions?

The V-shaped blade usually works great on tomatoes. The only thing I can think of that might have caused a problem would be if they weren't firm enough.

The tomatoes do need to be REALLY firm. Almost not-ripe-yet firm.

I've mutilated tomatoes in the past and agree that they need to be firm. Use the UM for everything but tomatoes and either use the tomato knife or a piece of forged cutlery.

Roma (or Plum) tomatoes work the best. They have a lower water content than other tomatoes, so aren't as likely to turn to mush. I used to always bring them myself to shows, but with the rising costs of doing business, I've gone back to having the host get the ingredients. I make sure that they know that the tomatoes need to be firm - not soft or mushy at all. I don't seem to have a problem as long as they are Roma tomatoes.

Also - I have guests slice the tomatoes on the UM - and I always tell them they are GUIDING the tomato through the blade - not pressing or pushing.

Thank you so much for this thread!!
I thought it was just me!

I've tried and tried too, and always get the same (awful) results. I guess I'll buy more tomatoes and try try again!

I do them all the time with no trouble. Make sure they are firm, firm, firm. I get a little packeage of 3 that is the right size to fit in the holder. I always tell me host to get them about the size of a tennis bacl and to make sure they are firm.

Firm Roma or Plum tomatoes. Don't press too hard.

Thank you so much for all the replies! I'll have to make sure to tell the hosts to buy firm tomatoes from now on. I'm really glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem. :)

Refrigerate the tomato.Also ... I've become better at the mandoline since pressing a little harder on the way down, lighter pressure on the way up. I've sliced tomatoes, a lime ... I'm a Mandoline Master!

Refrigerating the tomato may help firm it up, but it will also make it tasteless. Tomatoes get their flavor from compounds that are permanently deactivated by cold. Which is why you should never store tomatoes in the fridge.

1. How do I adjust the thickness of the tomato slices on the Ultimate Mandoline?

The thickness can be adjusted by turning the dial on the side of the mandoline. This will move the blade closer or further away from the slicing surface, allowing for thinner or thicker slices.

2. Can the Ultimate Mandoline handle different sizes of tomatoes?

Yes, the Ultimate Mandoline has an adjustable slicing platform that can accommodate various sizes of tomatoes. Simply adjust the platform to fit the size of your tomato before slicing.

3. Is it safe to use the Ultimate Mandoline with tomatoes?

Yes, the Ultimate Mandoline is designed with safety in mind. It has a hand guard to protect your fingers while slicing and a non-slip base to keep the mandoline in place while in use.

4. Can I use the Ultimate Mandoline to slice other types of produce besides tomatoes?

Yes, the Ultimate Mandoline can be used to slice a variety of fruits and vegetables, including cucumbers, zucchini, and apples. Just make sure to adjust the blade and slicing platform accordingly for the best results.

5. How do I clean the Ultimate Mandoline after slicing tomatoes?

The Ultimate Mandoline is dishwasher safe, but for best results, we recommend handwashing it with warm soapy water and a brush to remove any tomato residue. Make sure to dry it thoroughly before storing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• koima
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • babywings76
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
Replies