• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tips for Preserve Fresh Veggies & Fruit

In summary, Debbie recommends storing produce in a cool, dark location, dry-ifying to prevent moisture loss, and keeping it stored in a way that minimizes contact with air. For berries, she recommends not washing them until ready to use, storing them in a dry location, and taking care to keep them from accumulating moisture.
tys1031
Does anyone have tips to preserve fresh fruits and veggies? I am wasting so much $$ on them spoiling before they can be eaten. :grumpy:

Thanks in advance!

my #1 tip would be to know what goes in the fridge and what doesn't. do an online search for produce storage and you'll find lots of tips.

DebbieJ said:
my #1 tip would be to know what goes in the fridge and what doesn't. do an online search for produce storage and you'll find lots of tips.

Thanks Debbie!

The thing I found works the best- is when you get home from the store- or within a day, wash them and if you've got it, SPIN them dry in our Salad Berry Spinner.

Veggies & some fruit:

Then, with most of the veggies and such, I take either a Ziploc-type bag or Gladware/Rubbermaid type containers. I'll line the containers with a dry paper towel, and then put my produce in them. I do this with my Romaine Lettuce (I'll tear off the core, and then separate the leaves- put them in a container with paper towel on the bottom AND on the top. I also do it with broccoli, cauliflower, grapes. My stuff usually lasts 1-2 weeks! (if we haven't eaten it by then)

Soft berries
- don't wash them too much before you plan on using them, but I have been known to wash my berries and spin them- do the paper-towel thing and they'll last several days! For Herbs- I actually like to wash/spin them, clean out any of the questionable pieces, and then wrap them in a damp paper towel and stick in a ziploc bag. They last about a week, or sometimes more if I change the towel every few days and clean out dying leaves.My green onions- I put those in our herb-keeper with a bit of water.Since I've started doing my produce this way, I waste VERY little!! The key also is knowing it's in there, ready to use. When I have to prep it before use, I'm less likely to eat/use it, so it goes to waste.if you don't have the salad spinner...this is the month to get it (KE- 40%!). It will pay for itself very quickly.

Hi Bobbi!

I had planned on getting the Spinner this month. Thanks for confirming the need! I was trying to rationlize the cost! :) I have read several posts here about how useful it is. I am trying to commit myself to using more fresh and fresh-frozen fruits & veggies but I ahve wasted SO MUCH MONEY on the fresh because it spoils before we can eat it. I also think I was buying too many different kinds of fruit & veggies which added to the waste.

Peppers, Celery, cut Onions, Head Lettuce - Take them out of the plastic wrap/containers/bags etc...and wrap them in foil. They will last MUCH longer that way.DO NOT store tomatoes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squash, whole onion, or garlic in the refrigerator. Store these in a cool dark location. (think about this - they don't have them refrigerated in the store either!)For berries - DO NOT wash until ready to use them. The key is to keep them as DRY As possible. If you have a special humidity setting on your fruit/veggie keeper (I have one for fruits and one for veggies) set it to the lowest humidity setting, and place a paper towel in the bottom of the plastic bag/container. Every day or so, wipe out any condensation from the container.

I know exactly what you mean Kisha! I was the same way until just about 2 years ago when I really started USING my spinner. I don't throw out nearly as much anymore! Only reason I do throw something out is (1) I forgot why I bought it (what recipe), or (2) - I didn't prep & clean it right after buying it...so I forgot about it or didn't want to bother.It sounds daunting to have to clean the produce after you've spent the time shopping. I'm always exhausted even when I have a plan in the store (list). But if I put everything away, and leave out only the items I need to clean up- I realize it's not that much usually, and most goes so quickly. Especially since our spinner does such a great job getting the excess water off. :)Good luck!

ChefBeckyD said:
Peppers, Celery, cut Onions, Head Lettuce - Take them out of the plastic wrap/containers/bags etc...and wrap them in foil. They will last MUCH longer that way.

DO NOT store tomatoes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squash, whole onion, or garlic in the refrigerator. Store these in a cool dark location. (think about this - they don't have them refrigerated in the store either!)

For berries - DO NOT wash until ready to use them. The key is to keep them as DRY As possible. If you have a special humidity setting on your fruit/veggie keeper (I have one for fruits and one for veggies) set it to the lowest humidity setting, and place a paper towel in the bottom of the plastic bag/container. Every day or so, wipe out any condensation from the container.

You know- I've heard this, but I have always kept mine in the fridge (in a drawer), and they last forever- except tomatoes. The Sweet potatoes eventually go- but they can last several weeks (IF we don't eat them by then- we eat them more than white potatoes). I don't have a cool/dark place in my house really. I've tried pantry- but they go bad faster there than in my fridge. Weird.

ChefBeckyD said:
Peppers, Celery, cut Onions, Head Lettuce - Take them out of the plastic wrap/containers/bags etc...and wrap them in foil. They will last MUCH longer that way.

DO NOT store tomatoes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squash, whole onion, or garlic in the refrigerator. Store these in a cool dark location. (think about this - they don't have them refrigerated in the store either!)

For berries - DO NOT wash until ready to use them. The key is to keep them as DRY As possible. If you have a special humidity setting on your fruit/veggie keeper (I have one for fruits and one for veggies) set it to the lowest humidity setting, and place a paper towel in the bottom of the plastic bag/container. Every day or so, wipe out any condensation from the container.

Thanks Becky! I Knew not to store potatoes, onions & garlic in the fridge, but didn't know that about tomatoes. I have always kept those in the fridge.
I always wash my berries as soon as I buy them too!

Question, I did read somewhere that you shouldn't put foil in the fridge. Are you storing your peppers, cut onions, lettuce and celery in the fridge?

esavvymom said:
You know- I've heard this, but I have always kept mine in the fridge (in a drawer), and they last forever- except tomatoes. The Sweet potatoes eventually go- but they can last several weeks (IF we don't eat them by then- we eat them more than white potatoes). I don't have a cool/dark place in my house really. I've tried pantry- but they go bad faster there than in my fridge. Weird.

The starch in both kinds of potatoes will turn to sugar.....that's why they shouldn't be stored in the fridge.

If you use only a portion of a green pepper do not remove the seeds. Cut off what you want and put the remaining pepper in a zip loc bag. Will not turn slimy for a week! The seeds absorb the moisture.

if I am going to use it in cooking like a stirr fry or something I cut and freeze alot of stuff.

Bell peppers
Onions
Celery
chives

If you get a great deal on potatoes, squash or sweet potatoes you can cool those ahead and package into serving size containers.

Girls!!!!!!!! Hello????Have you NOT used the herb keeper? that puppy wlll keep you italian parsley and cilantro FOREVER!!! AND celery and carrots work great, too1 Come on, lets use our products!!!:) Carol

Another key is to make sure that you're not buying more than you can realistically eat before it goes bad.

I have used the EGG (E.G.G = Ethylene Gas Guardian) for years now. Originally got them QVC, they since stopped carrying them but they are available directly. I am single but love the produce from Sams Club so I need something that helps it last longer since I can't eat it that fast. I have found them to be very useful. I buy lots of strawberries/blueberries and i put them right in the container with the fruit. I place the EGG in a little Glad bowl (the little ones for like Salad Dressing).

They can be found at: Produce Storage Preservation Supplies Ethylene Gas Control Bags Absorption

I have had the Salad Spinner since July and just took it out of the box last week...I hear it works well but I can't say for sure. I'll be trying it though. (No I did not spend that kind of money to keep it in the box, I won it at NC so it didn't have as much value to me nor do I eat salad so lettuce in my house is unheard of.)

What are the best ways to keep fruits and vegetables fresh?

1. Store them in the refrigerator: Most fruits and vegetables will last longer when stored in the refrigerator. Make sure to keep them in the crisper drawer or in a plastic bag to prevent them from drying out.

2. Keep them away from moisture: Excess moisture can cause fruits and vegetables to spoil quickly. Make sure to dry them thoroughly before storing them and avoid storing them in plastic bags, which can trap moisture.

3. Don't wash them until ready to use: Washing fruits and vegetables can speed up the spoiling process. Instead, wait to wash them until you are ready to eat or cook them.

4. Store them properly: Different fruits and vegetables have different storage needs. For example, tomatoes should be stored at room temperature, while leafy greens should be refrigerated. Do some research or refer to the packaging for specific storage instructions.

5. Use Pampered Chef's Fresh Food Storage Containers: Our containers are designed to keep fruits and vegetables fresh for longer periods of time. They have adjustable venting to control humidity and prevent spoilage, and they are also stackable for easy storage in your fridge.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Malinda Klein
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Jasmine
  • 4kids4me
  • Products and Tips
Replies