• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How to Keep Strawberries Fresh?

In summary, the best way to store strawberries is to rinse them off, place them in a bowl with water and vinegar, and let them sit for a few days. If you want to store them for longer, you can either do it the way Debbie did, or you can put them in a salad spinner and spin them until they are dry.
4kids4me
I just bought 2 pints of strawberries and I was wondering what I can do to keep them fresh longer? Any tips???

A - don't wash them until you are about to use them but other than that I don't know Wish they didn't wither so fast

Don't wash them until you are ready to use them, and store them in a plastic container w/ a paper towel under them to absorb moisture. (they still won't keep for more than a few days!)

thx girls! I just need them to last til tomorrow night... :)

Strawberry fun fact.... the surface of a strawberry is coated with an average of 200 seeds! :eek:

My grandmother swore by the following way to store strawberries. I haven't tried it, so I can't confirm. But... she would wash them and let then dry THOROUGHLY. Then place the berries loosely in a large jar with a screw top. Similar to a mason jar. Put a piece of paper towel on top of the berries. This absorbs extra moisture, so keep an eye on it. After a few days, you may need to replace with a new piece of pt. Seal the jar tightly and refrigerate. Voilá

She always said that they would keep a good week. And you you can also do this without washing them. But the good part of washing them, is that they're ready to eat when you want them ;)

Freeze strawberriesI use this method that I pulled from a website recently.

The best suited strawberries to be frozen are berries that are dark red, firm and fully ripe. Remove stem and caps. Sort, wash and drain the fruit carefully. Do not soak in water, or the strawberry will lose flavor and nutritients. Do not add sugar.

Freeze strawberries individually in a single layer on cookie sheets. After completely frozen (about 24h) place into freezer containers or flexible freezer bags.

Debbie :D

I rinse mine off, put them in the small colander, rest that in the small bowl, and put in the fridge. They will last about 5 days this way, and be ready to go when I need them.

Robin

I think it's cute how everyone has their own unique method. Personally I think it starts when you shop for them. If I'm going to use them right away, I make sure their nice and ripe. If I need them to keep a little longer, then I'll buy "almost" ripe, but not too green. I always leave them in the original container and never wash them until their ready to use. A container never lasts too long at my house, since the kids love to snack on them - and yes, they're all trained to wash them before eating!:p

So I used to think I was a pretty good strawberry buyer... until I read this thread! :eek: Now I am doubting myself!!!

When you use the small colander bowl nestled in the small bowl, put a small amount of water in it. Not touching the strawberries!!! Put the lid on and your strawberries should keep for 2 weeks! I have done this. Do the same thing without water and it also keeps your mushrooms for 2 weeks. Don't forget to check them once in a while! One bad one will spoil them all!

I don't wash mine first..
I have been using my stainless steel bowls w/lid on to store them.. last so much better this way! There is some condensation on the inside and I didn't use a paper towel on the bottom~ so maybe a little bit of moisture is Ok

Just read this last night in Cook's Illustrated. It's in the van (and it's raining outside right now) but I'll post when it quits. I think it had something to do with washing them in a vinegar solution.

I just got that issue of Cook's Illustrated, and this is what it says:

Wash berries in a bowl with 3 cups water mixed with 1 cup white vinegar. Drain in colander and rinse under running water.
Place berries in salad spinner lined with 3 layers of paper towels. Spin for 15 seconds or until berries are completely dry.
Store berries in paper towel-lined sealable container, keeping lid slightly open to allow excess moisture to escape.

The berries in their illustrations are blueberries, but I'm going to try it with some strawberries I've got at home and see if it works.

Thanks, Ann for posting that! It quit raining here that afternoon & I totally forgot about this post! So sorry everyone!

I had forgotten that you had posted that it was there. I saw the mag this morning at Borders and grabbed it. When I saw the tip I though, "I'll have to post that on the thread about berries." Then I got here and saw that you had intro-ed it already. :)

ddcook said:
Strawberry fun fact.... the surface of a strawberry is coated with an average of 200 seeds! :eek:

My grandmother swore by the following way to store strawberries. I haven't tried it, so I can't confirm. But... she would wash them and let then dry THOROUGHLY. Then place the berries loosely in a large jar with a screw top. Similar to a mason jar. Put a piece of paper towel on top of the berries. This absorbs extra moisture, so keep an eye on it. After a few days, you may need to replace with a new piece of pt. Seal the jar tightly and refrigerate. Voilá

She always said that they would keep a good week. And you you can also do this without washing them. But the good part of washing them, is that they're ready to eat when you want them ;)

I didn't use a jar but I did wash and thouroughly dried them then put them in their original container also washed and dried. No paper. They would last at least a week if we didn't eat them already.

chefann said:
I had forgotten that you had posted that it was there. I saw the mag this morning at Borders and grabbed it. When I saw the tip I though, "I'll have to post that on the thread about berries." Then I got here and saw that you had intro-ed it already. :)

~~THREAD HIJACK~~
Ann,

I really love your Carmon Miranda pix - BUT - I really do miss the one with your BIG Texas hairdo :p

Gina, you're so sweet. I keep thinking about how much fun we had in Dallas and that it's so cool that we're in the same wave this time. (Julie K., our "link" nominated my Director for the Hospitality Award. I think it would be so cool if she won it - especially since we're all at the same wave this year.)

1. How should I store strawberries to keep them fresh?

The best way to store strawberries is to place them in a single layer in a container lined with paper towels. Make sure to remove any bruised or damaged berries before storing.

2. Can I wash strawberries before storing them?

It is recommended to only wash strawberries right before consuming them. Excess moisture can cause them to spoil faster.

3. Should I remove the stems before storing strawberries?

It is best to leave the stems on the strawberries until you are ready to eat them. This will help prevent moisture loss and keep them fresh longer.

4. How long can I keep strawberries in the fridge?

Fresh strawberries can last in the fridge for 3-7 days. It is important to check them regularly and remove any spoiled berries to prevent them from spoiling the rest.

5. Are there any other methods to keep strawberries fresh?

You can also try placing a dry paper towel on top of the strawberries in the container to absorb any excess moisture. Another option is to freeze the strawberries for longer storage, but make sure to properly seal them in an airtight container.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• stefani2
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Jamie's Money
  • danielsdundee
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
  • tys1031