• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is grilling fruit with sprinkles a winning combination?

In summary, the conversation mainly discusses the use of sprinkles on grilled fruit. Some participants have tried grilling fruit with different sprinkles and have mixed reviews. Some suggest that grilling the fruit alone without any added sugars or sprinkles is the best way to enjoy its natural sweetness. Others have found success with using sprinkles in baking or on certain types of fruit. Overall, there seems to be a preference for grilled pineapple and peaches without sprinkles.
Dotty
Gold Member
I just have to say...

YUCK!

I was so excited about the sprinkle sets that I suggested to my director that we have a grilling party and test out the different sprinkles on different fruits. We had bananas, mango, pineapple, apples, and strawberries. The sprinkles we tried were cinnamon, mocha, apple, honey vanilla. We rolled the fruit pieces in the different spices (one spice per piece), so that we covered most of the combinations of fruits and spices.

The result:
No one liked the grilled strawberries!
Bananas - so-so
apples - so-so
mango - no go
pineapple - so-so

I'm not sure if we overgrilled them, but it wasn't good at all.

Has anyone else tried grilling fruit? Were you successful?

grilled pineapple is YUM YUM YUM!!!!

I grill pineapple and bananas but I haven't put the sprinkles on them yet. Maybe dip them in a little brown sugar if you don't like the sprinkles but I have just grilled straight so far.

The key is to get the fruit to caramelize. A little bit of a sugar or honey glaze on it, and then grill it, and it can be fabulous! Pineapple and peaches are really yummy this way.

Grilled peach halves are also incredible. Go with good quality fruit and you don't have to add the artificial flavors or "additive crap" that Sprinkles bring to the party. I am most definately NOT a fan of Sprinkles. You can ask Shelby or Keith why.

Maybe if you grill first, then add the sprinkles?

I second the grilled peaches! Oh, and pineapple, too! I haven't tried the sprinkles on anything. They are decent but seem to have a "processed" tasted to them. I know they are processed but the taste is off to me.

I wonder if you overdid the sprinkles. You say you rolled the fruit in them. Grilled fruit is very sweet on its own as long as you grill it long enough for the fruit to caramelize. Maybe the sprinkles overwhelmed the fruit.

I'll try grilling pineapple and peaches without sprinkles. So far, I'm not too much of a fan of the sprinkles. I've tried them with oatmeal (yuck) and yogurt (yuck). I did like them when I made sweet sticky buns. So far, I think they need to be cooked to taste good.

I think grilled fruit gets sweet enough on its own, that adding sugars aren't necessary. I like the caramel and apple sprinkles the best, but in baking. I make a sweet biscuit bite variation that my kids go nuts over. But fruit--I'd leave them alone. Nature's best natural sweetener!

Dotty said:
So far, I'm not too much of a fan of the sprinkles. I've tried them with oatmeal (yuck) and yogurt (yuck). I did like them when I made sweet sticky buns. So far, I think they need to be cooked to taste good.

My 12 year old is a believer in the sprinkles. We were at a Cinco de Mayo vendor fair, and they had some Mexican cookies, which were crispy, but not very sweet. I put some apple sprinkle on it, and he went nuts. Had to try all the sprinkles. He said I should go stand by where they were giving out the cookies and offer people sprinkles. ;)

1. Can I use any type of fruit for grilled fruit with sprinkles?

Yes, you can use a variety of fruits such as pineapple, peaches, watermelon, and apples. Just make sure they are firm enough to hold up on the grill.

2. How do I prepare the fruit for grilling?

Wash and dry the fruit, then cut into even slices or cubes. You can also leave them whole for smaller fruits like berries.

3. Do I need to oil the grill before grilling the fruit?

Yes, lightly brush the grill with oil to prevent the fruit from sticking and to create those beautiful grill marks.

4. What type of sprinkles should I use for this recipe?

You can use any type of sprinkles you prefer, such as rainbow, chocolate, or even crushed nuts. Just make sure to add them after grilling the fruit.

5. Can I make this recipe ahead of time?

Yes, you can prepare the fruit and store it in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to grill. However, it is best to add the sprinkles right before serving for the best texture and taste.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
TheNewMrsRue
Replies
Views
pamperedchefjunkie
Replies
Views
Admin Greg