• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Juice Up Your Limes: America's Test Kitchen Reveals Best Method

In summary, America's Test Kitchen evaluated various juicing methods for limes and found that the citrus squeezer was the most effective.
raebates
Staff member
America's Test Kitchen, the Cook's Illustrated people, just evaluated various juicing methods for limes. Here are the results. The citrus press they picture looks just like ours, except it's green.

Squeezing our way through literally hundreds of limes for Cuban-Style Grill-Roasted Pork and Key Lime Bars, we realized this was an opportune time to determine the most effective method for juicing this little fruit. We tested squeezing by hand against a citrus juicer, in which the lime half is twisted over a ridged, conical head set over a bowl; a simple wooden reamer, which is manually turned inside the fruit; and a citrus squeezer, a device that presses the lime half inside-out to extract the juice.

With the exception of hand squeezing (which was less than half as effective), each method yielded the same amount of juice. But when we factored in ease of use and speed, the squeezer pressed ahead of the competition. An added bonus: All the bits of pulp were contained in the well of the press rather than dropping down into the juice.

Are there any tricks for yielding more juice? We tried rolling the limes on the counter, heating them in the microwave, and poking them with a fork; while these tips may help when squeezing by hand, none made a bit of difference in yield (or ease) when using a hand-held squeezer. In fact, we found cold limes straight out of the refrigerator to yield the most juice--the firm flesh split open more readily than when warm and more pliable.

I definitely plan to share this info with my customers.

Thanks! I have our Citrus Press & love it! It's so easy to use.

It's a great tool. It's just kind of nice to have it confirmed by the professionals.

And if you've ever read how they test things, you know that it is VERY thorough!

Oh yeah. I love the science corner, too. Gives me lots of fairly interesting but somewhat useless facts to share.

Remember when they tested grill pans? They "cooked" wood to test the spacing and distinctness of the grill marks.

Of course, Insinkerator uses beef bones and oak chunks to test their disposers.

chefann said:
Of course, Insinkerator uses beef bones and oak chunks to test their disposers.

:eek: That was so not a picture I needed in my head around lunch time... :eek:

Reminder to self... threads change from title very easily, read with caution... :D :p :D

Sorry, Alison.

Think of it this way, though: if a disposer can get rid of 15 pounds of oak cubes in a few minutes, it can handle anything you throw at it.

1. How does the "Juice Up Your Limes" method differ from traditional lime juicing methods?

The "Juice Up Your Limes" method, as revealed by America's Test Kitchen, involves microwaving limes for a short period of time before juicing them. This helps break down the cells in the lime, making it easier to extract the juice and resulting in a higher yield.

2. Can this method be used for other citrus fruits?

While the "Juice Up Your Limes" method was specifically tested for limes, it can also be used for other citrus fruits such as lemons and oranges. However, microwaving times may vary depending on the size and ripeness of the fruit.

3. How long should I microwave the limes for?

The recommended microwaving time for limes is 20 seconds on high heat. This may need to be adjusted depending on the wattage of your microwave. It is recommended to start with 20 seconds and then adjust as needed.

4. Will microwaving the limes affect the taste of the juice?

According to America's Test Kitchen, microwaving the limes does not affect the taste of the juice. The method simply makes it easier to extract the juice and results in a higher yield.

5. Can I use this method for juicing a large quantity of limes?

Yes, the "Juice Up Your Limes" method can be used for juicing a large quantity of limes. However, it is recommended to microwave the limes in smaller batches, as microwaving too many limes at once may result in uneven juicing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • heat123
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
heat123
  • leftymac