• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Struggling with Short Noodles in My Rectangular Baker - Any Solutions?

In summary, the people in this conversation have the same problem with their lasagna noodles being too short. They all suggest different methods to fix the issue. One person suggests adding more cheese, another person suggests lining the noodles up in the middle then cutting them in half, and another person suggests using a lid for the lasagna baking dish. None of the methods work for everyone, but all of them suggest that lasagna noodles should be arranged in the middle of the dish and then cut in half.
NMmommy
I love to make Lasanga in my Rect baker. My noodles are always to short. I never had this problem with my other pan. Anyone else have this problem? Is there a longer noodle out there?

Same problem here. I just center the noodles as best I can.

i have a wide pan like that; i just stagger the noodles so they go to the left, then the right, etc...then flip that on the next layer. sorta like this:******
. ******
. ******

NMmommy said:
I love to make Lasanga in my Rect baker. My noodles are always to short. I never had this problem with my other pan. Anyone else have this problem? Is there a longer noodle out there?

I line the noodles up in the middle, then cut them in half and put them on the end...

Attached is my noodle arrangement - been doing it that way for about 10 years in that pan.

Attachments

• la.pdf
    9.9 KB · Views: 356
Shannon ,
I don't see how this is a problem, wherever the noodles don't meet the ends of the pan add more CHEESE!!! :)

I love that there is an entire thread about noodles!! (PS: I love my carbs!!)

jenniferknapp said:
I love that there is an entire thread about noodles!! (PS: I love my carbs!!)

Me too - caused a 9 lb. 6 oz. baby on my 2nd because I didn't watch my diet as well! They are my downfall when I have gestational diabetes...plain sugar - bring it on - carbs? - can't handle them.

But, I was SOOOO sick of behaving with #1 that I REALLY wanted some bread and pasta!

All ended up well in the end luckily!

I am glad I could dedicate a post to noodles! I LOVE NOODLES! It killed me with each of my pregnancy that I could not have a ton of noodles due to gestational diabetes.

I had a chuckle when I read this post - I just made lasagna in the rectangular baker last night!
I arrange my noodles the same way Janet does!

BTW, can you guess what we're having for dinner tonight?? :D

And while we are on a thread about noodles, isn't it funny how kids won't eat some shapes? As if they taste any different.... if you look at me, you could tell I was never picky about mine :D

My oldest son is like that. It drives me batty and I told him he was not my son. Then he told me he loved all pasta! LOL

mmm lasagna.

Ive never made lasagna in my baker - the sauce doesn't stain the stone??

pcchris said:
Nope, it doesn't stain! AND, you will be able to eat the corners cuz they won't be hard as rocks! Plus, you won't have to soak your burnt on lasagna pan for 3 days to clean it!! The first time I made lasagna in my stone, my Mom was there to help clean it out and THAT is what sold her on stones!!

pcchris said:

I also love doing lasagna in stoneware so much more than Pyrex. When I would do it in pyrex, it would always be runny with sauce. Not in stoneware!

Marg said:
I had a chuckle when I read this post - I just made lasagna in the rectangular baker last night!
I arrange my noodles the same way Janet does!

BTW, can you guess what we're having for dinner tonight?? :D

Me too!!!!:eek: :D :cool:
My daughter and I made it last night and did the noodles the same way!! By the way, if any of you have the lid for the rectangle baker.... oh my gosh this is the only way to bake the lasagna!!! NO cheese stuck to the foil, it stays pretty and it tastes even better than when you just cover it with the foil. Also keeps it from getting to dark on the top and even if by some chance a few edges of the noodles get near the sides and stick out above the stone a little they won't get even a little hard! And let me tell you the way it helps season that lid! Love love love lasagna and love my rec baker/lid set for it!! If you have it try it! If you don't have it but have the deep covered baker, try it in there! Bet 3 noodles would be all you need but I bet it would be 4 or 5 layers and then you can try my roasting method! It is fantabulous!!!;) :) :D

I haven't made lasagna in FOREVER!! You all have inspired me. I was just thinking tonight that I needed to make some more meals to freeze and lasagna fits the bill!

jenniferknapp said:
And while we are on a thread about noodles, isn't it funny how kids won't eat some shapes? As if they taste any different.... if you look at me, you could tell I was never picky about mine :D

That sounds just like my son. He will eat spagetti only on garlic bread. Then when I make my stroganoff he won't eat it unless it is made with the seashells. I would love to use other shapes just for the varity but if I want him to eat it I can't.

Tree said:
That sounds just like my son. He will eat spagetti only on garlic bread. Then when I make my stroganoff he won't eat it unless it is made with the seashells. I would love to use other shapes just for the varity but if I want him to eat it I can't.
What about boiling some extra noodles when you make his type and bag up some portions just for him, I'm sure if you drained the noodles good and put them in the right type of freezer bags and froze them, then you could make what you want for the noodles and then just pull out a small bag portion for him, zap in the microwave, and top the stroganoff on his, but you have what you want too! Makes it where your not making a big fuss and everyones's happy!

Someone just told me that when she makes lasagna in her baker, the sauce is too runny but its not like that in any other dish she makes it in. I asked her how long she eats it after taking it out of the oven and she said 5 minutes. I told her to wait a little longer since the stone is still hot for 30-45 minutes AFTER taking it out of the oven. ANyone else have this happen?:confused:

does she boil her noodles first? I never boil mine and I buy the regular Bariila ones that are supposed to be boiled.
cheaper than the specialty ones and works just as well.

Teresa Lynn said:
does she boil her noodles first? I never boil mine and I buy the regular Bariila ones that are supposed to be boiled.
cheaper than the specialty ones and works just as well.

I have no idea! Hmmm, really? You don't boil them first?

Teresa Lynn said:
I never boil mine and I buy the regular Bariila ones that are supposed to be boiled.

Okay, I need your recipe! I love to cut a step here and there :)

jenniferknapp said:
Okay, I need your recipe! I love to cut a step here and there :)

Thats what I was thinking Jennifer!!:D

Like most of the stuff I make I really don't have a "recipe" I just do it !

lasagna
Brown 1 1/2 # ground beef & 1 # Italian sausage (I prefer Owens)
Drain, saute with 1 large chopped onion
Combine 1 24 oz carton cottage cheese with 4 eggs, 1 container of ricotta, 1 cup fresh grated parmesan & 2 handfuls of shredded mozzarella, 4 cloves of minced fresh garlic and some dried parsley flakes.
In batter bowl I mix 4 cans of tomato sauce, 1 can paste, 1 1/2 tsp fennel seeds and Italian seasoning.
I alternate the layers in my pan with:
sauce
noodles
meat
noodles
sauce
cheese
I do this until I run out of ingredients Before it finishes baking I add more mozzarella

Yummy Teresa!! Thanks for sharing!!!:D Now You've made me hungry!:D

My family LOVES pasta. I tried not boiling my noodles once. Didn't work for me.

My lasagna noodles usually aren't long enough. I make a few extra noodles and cut these so they cover that last couple of inches. I've even split them down the middle to cover when I got some oddly skinny noodles.

Freezing works well with lots of pasta shapes. The microwave sometimes messes with the texture. My preference for heating pasta up is to place it in a colander and run hot water over it for a few minutes. You don't have to thaw the pasta first, but frozen pasta will take a few extra minutes.

So Rae, you're saying to boil the pasta because it DID not work for you?

Teresa Lynn said:
Like most of the stuff I make I really don't have a "recipe" I just do it !

lasagna
Brown 1 1/2 # ground beef & 1 # Italian sausage (I prefer Owens)
Drain, saute with 1 large chopped onion
Combine 1 24 oz carton cottage cheese with 4 eggs, 1 container of ricotta, 1 cup fresh grated parmesan & 2 handfuls of shredded mozzarella, 4 cloves of minced fresh garlic and some dried parsley flakes.
In batter bowl I mix 4 cans of tomato sauce, 1 can paste, 1 1/2 tsp fennel seeds and Italian seasoning.
I alternate the layers in my pan with:
sauce
noodles
meat
noodles
sauce
cheese
I do this until I run out of ingredients Before it finishes baking I add more mozzarella

Mmm! Thanks, I will have to try this :)

We have it alot, where the noodles don't meet that is where I add all that extra cheese mixture. :)
I do add a little water to the cans to rinse each can maybe a tbsp or so and add it to the sauce sorry forgot to add that step.

We'll let it slip this time Teresa!!!;) :p

NMmommy said:
I am glad I could dedicate a post to noodles! I LOVE NOODLES! It killed me with each of my pregnancy that I could not have a ton of noodles due to gestational diabetes.

Funny - I posted the same thing right above you! :)

All your kids turn out fine - yourself? Mine seemed to be strictly gestational. ...and when I first found out, I was 5'4" and a whole whopping 110 lbs. Everyone is so used to the stereotype that you have to be obese to have diabetes.

We have "oven ready" lasagna noodles that you don't have to boil at all. They look like regular noodles. I always use these and the lasagna turns out fab!

I par boil mine always and everything turns out great...

I par boil the noodles and the sauce usually takes care of the rest. I also stagger my noodles, but I stagger length wise. I start on the left (long side) with the long noodles and patch in the right, then the next layer I start on the right and patch the left, I usually have to cut about 1/4 of the noodle off. But every 3rd row or so I can use those pieces too.

like so:
first row
second row

I always use the "oven ready" lasagna noodles, no more boiling! It cuts your time in half.:D

mmm... y'all made me want lasagna! I have never made lasagna unless it comes from a orange box in a tinfoil pan :) It may be about time!

GourmetGirl said:
mmm... y'all made me want lasagna! I have never made lasagna unless it comes from a orange box in a tinfoil pan :) It may be about time!

Haha, me too!

Allison you are missing a treat. Once you've made your own, you'll never buy the box again. You know its not cheaper to buy that kind and fresh is easy.

1. Why are my noodles too short when using my rectangular baker for lasagna?

This could be due to the size and shape of your rectangular baker. Sometimes, rectangular bakers are longer and narrower compared to other pans, which may cause the noodles to not fit properly.

2. How can I solve the problem of short noodles in my rectangular baker?

One solution is to break the lasagna noodles in half before cooking. This will allow them to fit better in the rectangular baker and still create layers in your lasagna.

3. Are there any other options besides breaking the noodles in half?

Yes, you can try using no-boil lasagna noodles. These noodles are shorter and designed to fit in smaller or irregularly shaped baking dishes.

4. I've heard of using egg roll wrappers as a substitute for lasagna noodles. Would this work in a rectangular baker?

Yes, egg roll wrappers can be used as a substitute for lasagna noodles. However, they may not fit perfectly in a rectangular baker and may require some trimming or overlapping to fit properly.

5. Where can I find longer lasagna noodles to fit in my rectangular baker?

You can try looking for specialty or gourmet grocery stores, as they may carry longer lasagna noodles. Alternatively, you can also try online retailers for a wider selection of pasta sizes and shapes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
taterbug
  • CrazyChef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
CrazyChef
  • babywings76
  • Products and Tips
Replies