• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Covering and Transporting Your Rectangular Baker: Tips and Tricks

So, in summary, the conversation was about the difficulties of finding a suitable cover for rectangular bakers for transport, with suggestions of using foil, oven mitts, and a heavy duty foil for better results. Some also mentioned using a large sheet of foil to fully cover the pan for transport. There was also discussion about the lack of suitable transport options for other Pampered Chef pieces.
taterbug
What do you use to cover your rectangular baker? I often make cobblers and casseroles for church functions and other events. I bake them in my rectangular baker and prefer leaving them in it for serving, but my problem is trying to find the best product to cover them with (for transport). Foil doesn't seem to stick well and it is difficult to "smooth" it down over the edges of the pan because it is so hot. Saran Wrap melts........
How do you cover and transport yours?

Last edited:
I use foil and smooth it down with my oven mitts on my hands. If I don't want anything to stick to the foil, I spray it with oil before placing it over the food. I always buy the heavy duty foil, too. It just works better. I still have the really old insulated tote for the Rectangle Baker, too. I use that for transport, and I have the old cover which sometimes I'll place over the foil.

Foil. Now I do remember when I first purchased my rectangular baker the consultant told me you could purchase another to use as a lid. Though I wouldn't transport that way.

I use my oven mitts too while trying to get the foil on. It just seems that the foil doesn't want to always stay in place. I will make sure I am using the heavy duty foil; if not, i will try that.

I cover it w/ foil. The best foil is the Reynold's Release Non-stick foil. One side is non-stick so it's perfect for covering over things like the cheesy top layers of a casserole. :)

I don't have a problem with the foil sticking to the food....it's getting the foil to stick to the sides of the pan. You know how metal pans have sort a ridge around the top edge....you can sort of tuck the foil under the ridge. You can't do that with the stone pan because the edges are smooth. Does that make any sense?

Yep, it makes sense. I don't have too much of a problem with foil, but like I said, I use only heavy duty. It certainly doesn't seal, but it should be fine for transporting.

I've also used foil, but I use a HUGE longsheet, set the pan in the middle of it, and bring it up on both sides and then fold down the ends together...that way it goes all the way around and covers without slipping off. It's kind of a waste of foil, but I don't have to do that very often, so it's no big deal once in a while.

That's one thing I think is severely lacking in our PC line...a way to TRANSPORT the food! They got rid of the woven basket (which by the way- I use that for my rectangular baker, and then cover either with foil, or I have the flexible "lid" that sort of sits loosely- in case the moisture/heat needs a way to escape and not condense back onto the food).But our SA & Bamboo platters, pans, etc...other than the Trifle Bowl and DCB, don't really have any easy way to transport to events! And of course they don't fit in much of anything else! (Like tupperware). SO unless I'm hosting the event, it's hard to show off my pretty PC pieces because I can't GET them there.

sklay723 said:
I've also used foil, but I use a HUGE longsheet, set the pan in the middle of it, and bring it up on both sides and then fold down the ends together...that way it goes all the way around and covers without slipping off. It's kind of a waste of foil, but I don't have to do that very often, so it's no big deal once in a while.

I will try that as well.

esavvymom said:
That's one thing I think is severely lacking in our PC line...a way to TRANSPORT the food! They got rid of the woven basket (which by the way- I use that for my rectangular baker, and then cover either with foil, or I have the flexible "lid" that sort of sits loosely- in case the moisture/heat needs a way to escape and not condense back onto the food).

But our SA & Bamboo platters, pans, etc...other than the Trifle Bowl and DCB, don't really have any easy way to transport to events! And of course they don't fit in much of anything else! (Like tupperware). SO unless I'm hosting the event, it's hard to show off my pretty PC pieces because I can't GET them there.

Agreed! And quite frankly, the Trifle Bowl and DCB lids aren't that "great" for transporting. I am on my second Trifle Bowl lid and it still won't stay on and the DCB lid is not that difficult to slide around.

1. How do I properly cover a baker?

To cover a baker, you will need to use either a lid that came with the baker or a piece of foil. If using foil, make sure it is large enough to fully cover the baker and extend over the edges. Gently press the foil around the edges to secure it in place.

2. Can I use plastic wrap to cover my baker?

Yes, you can use plastic wrap to cover your baker. However, make sure the plastic wrap is microwave-safe and that it does not come into contact with the food as it cooks.

3. How tight should the cover be on the baker?

The cover should be snug but not too tight on the baker. This will allow for any steam to escape while still keeping the food inside moist.

4. Can I use a towel to cover my baker instead of foil or a lid?

No, it is not recommended to use a towel to cover your baker as it can potentially catch fire if it comes into contact with the heating elements of the oven. It is best to use a lid or foil as a covering.

5. How do I prevent foil from sticking to the food in the baker?

To prevent the foil from sticking to the food, lightly grease the foil with cooking spray or oil before covering the baker. This will create a barrier between the foil and the food, preventing any sticking.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• allergycooker
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
janice moore
  • bakinwithbacon
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • ChefPaulaB