• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Spaghetti Sauce Recipe Needed Aspa

In summary, Robin was looking for a simple recipe for homemade sauce and came across this recipe. She has all of the ingredients needed but recommends adding salt, pepper, and sugar to taste. She also recommends using this recipe to make lasagna, shrimp skillet, and other dishes.
tabnat80
Gold Member
I am making a chicken manicotti recipe tonight that calls for a jar of pasta (spaghetti) sauce. Silly me, forgot to buy the sauce. Does anyone have a recipe that's really simple for homemade sauce? I have a few basic ingredients at home that I could use to make some if I had a recipe. I really don't want to load up ds to go to the store. Thanks!

Do you have our Italian seasoning... and crushed, pureed, or diced tomatoes? If so, you can just cook down the tomatoes with some Italian seasoning in it. I always add a piece of pepperoni, bay leaf, (make sure to take both of those out!) parsely, diced onion & minced garlic.... let it all simmer for a couple of hours and you'll be good to go!

fresh garlic, a bay leaf, 1 med diced onion, Italian seasoning, a pinch of sugar (or tsp of grape jelly) tomato paste, 1 can of water (from paste) & a couple cans of crushed tomatoes. You can also put in fresh basil
Simmer!!

Check out hillbillyhousewife.com Lots of great, cheap recipes. I love her spaghetti sauce, also the coffee and tea drink mixes.

Robin

Here's what I use...
Marinara Sauce

This recipe makes enough to sauce more than a pound of pasta; leftovers can be refrigerated or frozen. Because canned tomatoes vary in acidity and saltiness, it's best to add salt, pepper, and sugar to taste just before serving. If you prefer a chunkier sauce, give it just three or four pulses in the food processor in step 4.

Makes 4 cups
2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes , packed in juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion , chopped fine (about 1 cup)
2 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/3 cup dry red wine , such as Chianti or Merlot
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Table salt and ground black pepper
1 - 2 teaspoons sugar , as needed (see note above)

1. Pour tomatoes and juice into strainer set over large bowl. Open tomatoes with hands and remove and discard fibrous cores; let tomatoes drain excess liquid, about 5 minutes. Remove 3/4 cup tomatoes from strainer and set aside. Reserve 2 1/2 cups tomato juice and discard remainder.

2. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden around edges, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and oregano and cook, stirring constantly, until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.

3. Add tomatoes from strainer and increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring every minute, until liquid has evaporated and tomatoes begin to stick to bottom of pan and brown fond forms around pan edges, 10 to 12 minutes. Add wine and cook until thick and syrupy, about 1 minute. Add reserved tomato juice and bring to simmer; reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally and loosening browned bits, until sauce is thick, 8 to 10 minutes.

4. Transfer sauce to food processor (or transfer to saucepan and insert immersion blender; and add reserved tomatoes; process until slightly chunky, about eight 2-second pulses. Return sauce to skillet and add basil and extra-virgin olive oil and salt, pepper, and sugar to taste.

This may sound like alot of work, but it takes me about an hour and I have enough sauce to make the skillet lasgna, the shrimp skillet from the 29 min meal, and 2 containers for the freezer. It is so much better than any of the jar stuff.

Chop a carrot and celery and add as well...if you can cook it long enough it almost dissolves - it adds nutrition and enhances the taste.

Thanks everyone. I forgot to post this earlier. DH and I went out to eat that night instead:) But thanks for the recipes for sauce. I will keep them in mind for next time.

I totally missed this but I'll add mine in case anyone is interested:

1/2 recipe:
1 sm. can tomato paste - 6 oz.
1 can tomato soup - 10 3/4 oz.
1 can tomato sauce - 13 oz. (I believe or whatever is closest)

1/4 cup sugar
1/2 T parsley flakes
1/2 T basil
1/2 T oregano

Brown 1 lb. meat and season with garlic salt, add to sauce and simmer on lowest setting for about 20 minutes.

That feeds DH and myself and 2 little kids, anyone else over and I usually double it.

We usually take crescent rolls, dip them in egg whites, sprinkle with garlic salt and put on a pan and cook them. We dip them in the sauce too to eat.

1. What ingredients do I need for an "Aspa" spaghetti sauce?

To make an "Aspa" spaghetti sauce, you will need:

• 1 can of crushed tomatoes
  • 1 can of tomato sauce
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon of dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
  • Salt and pepper to taste

2. Can I use fresh herbs instead of dried herbs for this recipe?

Yes, you can use fresh herbs instead of dried herbs for this recipe. Just double the amount of herbs called for in the recipe if using fresh herbs.

3. How many servings does this recipe make?

This recipe makes approximately 4-6 servings, depending on portion size.

4. Can I make this sauce ahead of time and freeze it?

Yes, you can make this sauce ahead of time and freeze it for later use. Just let it cool completely before transferring it to a freezer-safe container and freezing for up to 3 months.

5. How long does it take to make this spaghetti sauce?

This spaghetti sauce takes approximately 30 minutes to make from start to finish.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • chefjessicah
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • chefjwr
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies