• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

soFrustrated - How Do You Coach the Uncoachable???

carolyn, I seem to have my share fo those hostesses also. It is frustrating when you operate your business on the 3-call host coaching system, and people do not call you back and/or screen your calls. I wish I had an answer for this. When it happens to me, I feel as if it is a control thing- "watch me make my puppet dance !!"When it happens to me, I feel as if it is a control thing- "watch me make my puppet dance !!"
dannyzmom
Gold Member
I am practically pulling my hair out!!!
3 of my 5 April hosts are impossible!!!
I cannot for th elife of me get them to give me their guest lists...one FINALLY coughed up a guest list of...ready for this?? FIVE PEOPLE. How do I politely tell her that if she invites 5 she will have ONE guest if she is lucky?
I sent her "Who are potential Guests" and a cover letter explaining WHY it is so important to invite 40 people. I cannot get her on the phone...I leave 5+ messages and get a 1-liner email response back. I am about ready to tell her to forget it, toss her a few catalogs and let her do a catalog show.
HELP!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Why is she having a show? Free products? Night out with the girls?

Maybe you can find out her WHY and then capitalize on it.

If it's products you can impress upon her that her rewards will be very small with just 5 people, but with 20 she'll get over $100 shopping spree.

Have them send out e-vites and invitations herself if she doesn't give you a guest list to send invites for her. Send host-coaching postcards in the mail to remind them to send invites, give you guest list, call reminders, etc.There is only so much you can do, you know?

DebbieJ said:
Why is she having a show? Free products? Night out with the girls?

Maybe you can find out her WHY and then capitalize on it.

If it's products you can impress upon her that her rewards will be very small with just 5 people, but with 20 she'll get over $100 shopping spree.

I would LOVE to know WHY she is having a show...I could ask her if she'd answer the frickin phone!!!! I am beginning to think she is only having a show to piss me off!!!

dannyzmom said:
I would LOVE to know WHY she is having a show...I could ask her if she'd answer the frickin phone!!!! I am beginning to think she is only having a show to piss me off!!!

OMgosh! LMAO!!!!

I sooooooo know how you feel! I have had my share of hosts like that!!

Leave her one of those "I will keep calling till I hear from you" messages. Maybee it will get her to answer....

Ok, sometimes I HAVE to use one of the quotes I try to NEVER use in public...here goes...

"You can't fix stupid."

If she doesn't get it, doesn't want to try, you might not be able to fix it and it isn't worth your effort.

Why don't you try this one on her...
"Dear ______, I have a personal policy in my business that I won't hold a cooking show unless you provide me with ______ names to invite. This helps provide you with a successful show and host benefits and helps me manage my time. If you cannot provide that many guests, I'd be glad to do a catalog show with you starting on _____ date and closing on _____ date. I look forward to working with you! Thank you."

janetupnorth said:
Ok, sometimes I HAVE to use one of the quotes I try to NEVER use in public...here goes...

"You can't fix stupid."

If she doesn't get it, doesn't want to try, you might not be able to fix it and it isn't worth your effort.

Why don't you try this one on her...
"Dear ______, I have a personal policy in my business that I won't hold a cooking show unless you provide me with ______ names to invite. This helps provide you with a successful show and host benefits and helps me manage my time. If you cannot provide that many guests, I'd be glad to do a catalog show with you starting on _____ date and closing on _____ date. I look forward to working with you! Thank you."

Personally I prefer the "Can't fix stupid" line.
I am afraid the other one is a bit too harsh. I think if I were on the receiving end of that I'd be like "Fine, screw it then." Although I am kinda PMSy today...

Carolyn, I seem to have my share fo those hostesses also. It is frustrating when you operate your business on the 3-call host coaching system, and people do not call you back and/or screen your calls. I wish I had an answer for this. When it happens to me, I feel as if it is a control thing- "watch me make my puppet dance !!"

mrssyvo said:
When it happens to me, I feel as if it is a control thing- "watch me make my puppet dance !!"

Yes!!!!
It is SO aggravating!!!

dannyzmom said:
Personally I prefer the "Can't fix stupid" line.
I am afraid the other one is a bit too harsh. I think if I were on the receiving end of that I'd be like "Fine, screw it then." Although I am kinda PMSy today...

I'm usually not a harsh person but if you try and try and try, you do have to think of it at some point as a business and either take the loss and do the show (a lot of time and effort) or find another way to politely kick her in the butt and make it work for you. If your entire business was based on this kind of shows, you wouldn't make it anywhere...

Well, here's to hoping she wakes up or she has a small show that turns into wonderful booking heaven for you and lots of future business....

janetupnorth said:
I'm usually not a harsh person but if you try and try and try, you do have to think of it at some point as a business and either take the loss and do the show (a lot of time and effort) or find another way to politely kick her in the butt and make it work for you. If your entire business was based on this kind of shows, you wouldn't make it anywhere...

Well, here's to hoping she wakes up or she has a small show that turns into wonderful booking heaven for you and lots of future business....

You're SO right...

I understand....I'm wondering if my show this Saturday is going to happen...we haven't sent out invites yet:eek: This is a re-scheduled show; the last time she was supposed to have a show she didn't get me her guest list, but told me she had just typed an invite up & sent out herself. Hopefully she will answer the phone today...

lacychef said:
I understand....I'm wondering if my show this Saturday is going to happen...we haven't sent out invites yet:eek: This is a re-scheduled show; the last time she was supposed to have a show she didn't get me her guest list, but told me she had just typed an invite up & sent out herself. Hopefully she will answer the phone today...

I so know what you are talking about........I have a host for next Tues. I know that she's had alot going on and even asked her if she would prefer to do a catalog show instead, or reschedule. Her reply? "Well, I know those don't usually do as well, so I'll keep my date." Ok, great! BUT, on my last call to her she made the comment, "well if something comes up I'll call you that morning to cancel." :eek: :eek: UH HELLO?!?! As far as I'm concerned she is cancelled. I found out after the fact that she has not sent out ONE invitation. What really ticks me off, is she is in DS (TW), and she has a reputation for getting totally bonkers if her hosts cancel/postpone.

Leave her a message telling her you're dropping by to pick up her address book.

amy07 said:
I so know what you are talking about........I have a host for next Tues. I know that she's had alot going on and even asked her if she would prefer to do a catalog show instead, or reschedule. Her reply? "Well, I know those don't usually do as well, so I'll keep my date." Ok, great! BUT, on my last call to her she made the comment, "well if something comes up I'll call you that morning to cancel." :eek: :eek: UH HELLO?!?! As far as I'm concerned she is cancelled. I found out after the fact that she has not sent out ONE invitation. What really ticks me off, is she is in DS (TW), and she has a reputation for getting totally bonkers if her hosts cancel/postpone.

Don't people realize that this is a business and we are giving up our time to do a show for them? If they give you enough notice you could schedule another show for someone else who is looking forward to it!

I've heard that some of our worst hosts are DS people! You would think it would be easier.

dannyzmom said:
I am practically pulling my hair out!!!
3 of my 5 April hosts are impossible!!!
I cannot for th elife of me get them to give me their guest lists...one FINALLY coughed up a guest list of...ready for this?? FIVE PEOPLE. How do I politely tell her that if she invites 5 she will have ONE guest if she is lucky?
I sent her "Who are potential Guests" and a cover letter explaining WHY it is so important to invite 40 people. I cannot get her on the phone...I leave 5+ messages and get a 1-liner email response back. I am about ready to tell her to forget it, toss her a few catalogs and let her do a catalog show.
HELP!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Don't pull your hair out Carolyn! If you ever get her on the phone explain to her that without guests there is no show.

Ok, I have to add a good note for other DS hosts. My show last Thursday was a friend who was selling MK for awhile. She not only did a $500 show for me, she is doing a fundraiser off of it for an organization her daughter is in...not a big one mind you, but probably somewhere between $500-$1000. She bought some items to throw together as a gift basket for a raffle at the local home show and asked for a stack of my business cards to try and hand out for me there.

I think that goes ABOVE and BEYOND the call of host duty. :) ...don't know how much business will come of her efforts but I'm thankful she is doing all that for me...

I am donating some of my commission on her daughter's fundraiser to her daughter's organization because I'm thankful for all they are willing to do.

Personally..I think I'd leave her a message just saying "I can see this is a terribly busy time for you. Maybe it would be easier for the both of us if we waited maybe another month for your show. That way you can have more time to invest in this shopping spree, because without that investment...it doesn't work. SO, if I don't hear from you by____date...I will cancel the show and assume we are on the same page. Otherwise, If you'd LIKE to make some time to work with me and if this IS a good time for you and your friends please give me a call.

Thank you!"
and my name....

That's what I had to do! I cancelled a show for the 30th because she was not cooperating with me at all. So I called and said, this is my job and I can schedule that night with someone that would put forth some effort. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!!

Guest lists ?? Invites..
dannyzmom said:
You're SO right...

I NEVER get them back. Most of my home shows though have had huge turn outs, only my first home show was really worth it and keeps me in it too.
704.xx down here they just call and show up when they feel like!!! I can never get an idea on how many, and the hosts love to make huge meals, so that's always a help :)

Liz
Have fun.

Also many times the shows with the fewest guests end up ordering more than when a full house. I don't think it would be fair to the guests that do show up to punish them by not having a show.

I currently have a catalog show going on and my hostess is usually very good with answering the phone, email, but I haven't heard from her in over a week now. I just back off and she turns in really good sales, just hard to plan.

Good Luck;

Liz

crazy4dabug said:
Personally..I think I'd leave her a message just saying "I can see this is a terribly busy time for you. Maybe it would be easier for the both of us if we waited maybe another month for your show. That way you can have more time to invest in this shopping spree, because without that investment...it doesn't work. SO, if I don't hear from you by____date...I will cancel the show and assume we are on the same page. Otherwise, If you'd LIKE to make some time to work with me and if this IS a good time for you and your friends please give me a call.

Thank you!"
and my name....

This sounds GREAT!!
Also, my Friday night host, a friend/acquanitence from my DS's uppity preschool, just told me she only got 2 yes's. Ok...well did you pass out the flyers I gave you? No. Did you call eveyone and personally invite them? No. Did you put flyers in neighbor's mailboxes? No. How many addresses did she give me to mail invites to? 18. Well there ya go - you only invite 18, what do you possibly expect?
I am thinking I'd like to use THIS host as an example for my uncooperative host who only invites 5. Of course, that would require her answering the phone...

I don't have any more help other than what was said above....I just feel your pain too! Drives me NUTS when it seems like I am the only one doing any work...and they don't even have the courtesy to call back after tons of messages! UGH!

Related to soFrustrated - How Do You Coach the Uncoachable???

1. How do I handle an employee who seems uncoachable?

First, it's important to understand the reason why the employee may be uncoachable. Are they lacking necessary skills or knowledge? Are they resistant to change? Once you address the root cause, determine if extra training or support can help improve their performance. If not, have a candid conversation with the employee about their behavior and set clear expectations for improvement.

2. How do I motivate an uncoachable employee?

Focus on understanding the employee's goals and what motivates them. Use positive reinforcement and recognition for their efforts, and set achievable goals to help them see the value in improving their behavior. Additionally, providing regular feedback and offering opportunities for growth and development can help motivate an uncoachable employee.

3. What if an uncoachable employee is disrupting the team?

If an employee's behavior is causing tension or affecting the team's productivity, it's important to address it immediately. Start by having a private conversation with the employee to understand their perspective. Then, involve the rest of the team in finding a solution and setting expectations for behavior. If the behavior continues, consider involving HR for further support.

4. How can I build trust with an uncoachable employee?

Building trust takes time and effort, but it is crucial in coaching an uncoachable employee. Start by actively listening to their concerns and addressing them with empathy and understanding. Show consistency in your actions and follow through on promises. It's also important to be transparent and communicate openly with the employee to build a foundation of trust.

5. What if an uncoachable employee is resistant to feedback?

Some employees may be resistant to feedback because they don't see the value in it or are afraid of criticism. Start by explaining the purpose and benefits of feedback and how it can help them improve. Use specific examples and focus on the behavior, not the person. If the employee continues to be resistant, try involving a neutral third party, such as a coach or mentor, to provide feedback and support.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
byrd1956
Replies
Views
cewcooks
  • texasteacher
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
texasteacher