• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Simplifying Payment Processing for Hosts & Guests

In summary, having the checks made out to the host eliminates any possible awkwardness for the host. Plus, it keeps the check numbering straight and eliminates any confusion with returned checks.
leannvv
Do you have guests write checks to you, or to your host and have the host write one large check??

I have all checks made out to the host and then have the host either gives me a check of their own or cash. If the host does write me a check and I don't know them that well, I will take their check to their bank and get it cashed. That way I don't have to worry about returned checks. It just makes my life a little less stressful.

Credit/Debit for meFor about 2 months now I've been making a point to say that credit/debit cards are my preferred method of payment. I'd say 90% of guests use their cards and then the host puts any outside orders and her order on her credit card for payment. I've had very few transactions lately through my PC Debit Card. It's been GREAT!

I think most people don't realize that we CAN take credit/debit cards and when they find out they will use them. Think about it - most of us use debit anytime over writing a check. Tell your guests they can do the same with you and they will :)

PLUS - if you have a declined card, the company calls and/or emails and you get a new card number from the guest or you get them to write you a check at that point. If you have a bad check, you often times will have to pay a bad check fee on YOUR account as well as the person having to pay one on theirs. There are no fees for declined cards and they are easily fixed.

Has anyone had trouble with the HO accepting debit cards?? I have several times. The solution center told me that their systems doesn't accepted debit cards - even if the card has a mastercard/visa logo on it.

Maybe I"m too trusting, but I have everyone make their checks out to me. I like to make things easy on the host; and I figure that saves them a step. Knock on wood; but I haven't had any bad luck in over 4 years!:D Of course I tell them they can pay with cash, check, or credit/debit card; or the husband plan where they use all three!

I used to have all of the checks made out to the host, but I found that most of my hosts didn't like that. I was making my hosts uncomfortable which did not leave a good impression. Now I have all the guests at the show make their checks to me and any orders the host gets after the show, the checks are made out to her. Then, she writes me one check to cover her order and the outside order or uses her debit card.

I like the idea of saying that my preferred method of payment is by card. I may have to try that.

I've never had a problem with HO accepting debit cards that have mastercard/visa on them.

I guess I'm trusting too cause if a guest writes a check I make them make it out to me. But I also do envoke the $30 charge for a bad check. The legal office on base here told my recruiter we could envoke that charge since we are in business for ourselves. So I try to let my customers know that any check return will have a $30 fee added to the amount of the check. It has worked so far for me. No bad checks yet, knock on wood. LOL But even though I do offer to take checks and cash I mostly get credit/debit cards as my payments through my shows. Which I love cause then I don't have to drive across town to deposit the check and cash at the bank.

I have all checks made out to me, not the host. That way, I can also get addresses if they didn't fill out their order form completely. :p
I had considered having them make them to the host. However, I just hosted a party for another direct sales company and the consultant had the checks made out to me, the hostess. As the hostess, I didn't like this. She even said she did that so that if there was a bad check, she wouldn't have to worry about tracking them down. I have three problems with that....
#1. Bad checks are a part of doing business, not a part of hosting! If I am just the HOST, I don't want bad check fees showing up against my account!
#2. How awkward is it for ME to call one on MY friends/relatives and explain that their check was returned? It's less personal and less embarrasing if the consultant contacts them. Then if the consultant is having a hard time with the guest, go to the host and ask for assistance.
#3. What if the host spends the money? What if they all pay the hostess, then while waiting for the show to close, she spends it and has to wait until she can cover it to close the show? I hate to think people would do that, but it did cross my mind.
I do, however, like the idea of encouraging the use of credit/debit cards, so I think I may try that one.

My recruiter suggested when I started last year to have the guests make the checks out to the host (she's had bad checks written to her before). I have done this most of time. But my last show the host didn't have a checking account so I had everyone make the checks out to me. I think I may just start doing that. I think some of my shows may close earlier because I don't have to wait until the host can make it to the bank to deposit everyone's checks. Plus for all of the reasons that chefjenibel just mentioned-I hate it when guests don't fill out all of their contact info & I sometimes don't notice it until I get home. I buy the ingredients for the hosts (they reimburse me) and mail the invitations to make it easier on the host-might as well take the checks too.

Darned if I do and Darned if I don't...I have done it both ways and gotten stung both ways.
I had a host write me a check that bounced because one of her guest's checks bounced out of her account. I have had the guests write checks to me that have bounced. I am getting really fed up. It's too hard when checks are written on Saturday put in the bank on Sunday, I am at a 7 day a week bank, just to have them bounce out two days later because they move so fast now. So the choice is simple. NO MORE CHECKS. I really like that idea and am going to use it. Thanks to whomever put that one out there.

lkspeir said:
Has anyone had trouble with the HO accepting debit cards?? I have several times. The solution center told me that their systems doesn't accepted debit cards - even if the card has a mastercard/visa logo on it.

It's been a while but I have had a few debit cards kick back from the HO. It is really embarrassing to call someone and tell them their card declined only to find out that it was a problem on the HO's end.

I also say that credit cards are my preferred method. Some people that go to parties often think that we have to pay the CC fee so they pay with a check to help us. I usually lose the check, so I prefer credit card. I just found a stack of $250 in checks from May 16th!! Luckily they were mostly from people I know so it wasn't weird to call and make sure it is okay that I cash it!

What is payment processing and why is it important for hosts and guests?

Payment processing is the process of securely collecting and transferring funds from a guest to a host for a booking or transaction. It is important for hosts and guests because it ensures that payments are made smoothly and efficiently, while also protecting both parties from fraud or other issues.

How can simplifying payment processing benefit hosts and guests?

Simplifying payment processing can benefit hosts and guests by making the payment process more convenient and efficient. It can save time and reduce the risk of errors or complications, making the overall experience more positive for both parties.

What are some common payment methods used for payment processing?

Some common payment methods used for payment processing include credit/debit cards, PayPal, Apple Pay, and bank transfers. It is important for hosts to offer a variety of payment options to accommodate the preferences of their guests.

How can hosts ensure the security of their payment processing system?

Hosts can ensure the security of their payment processing system by using a trusted and secure payment gateway, implementing strong authentication measures, and regularly monitoring and updating their system for any potential vulnerabilities.

What are some best practices for hosts and guests when it comes to payment processing?

Some best practices for hosts and guests when it comes to payment processing include communicating clearly about payment expectations, using secure and reputable payment methods, and keeping records of all transactions for reference and accountability.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• keynibear
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • chefsteph07
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
caraighan
  • ivykeep