• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Guest With Declined Credit Card Now Hosting?

In summary, the conversation discusses a previous incident where a guest's credit card was declined and the host had to wait for over a week to receive cash for payment. The host is now hesitant to have this guest handle other people's money and is seeking advice on how to handle this situation. The conversation also touches on the option of having hosts collect outside orders and the possibility of credit card declines being due to other reasons besides being a "deadbeat." It is suggested to use safeguards and trust instincts in these situations.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
Back in October I had a show that a credit card was declined for a particular guest. When I called to let her know and arrange another form of payment, the first thing I asked was if there was another credit or debit card we could do. She said no. I had to wait over a week to get cash from her for the payment (over $80).

Fastforward to now and this guest has now booked a show in January. I am a little iffy on how I should handle her. When a host collects outside orders after their show, I normally tell them to have the checks wrote to them and we'll close their show over the phone with one payment by debit or credit card. This host makes me a little nervous to do it this way. Am I justified? How should I handle this?

I know I can go pick up checks from her but I really like to do the host's order over the phone since PP tells me the acurate total. Or should I give her the benefit of doubt and maybe she just had an off month with her credit card back in October?

I don't have my guests write checks to the host - that's another thing that the host doesn't need to mess with (IMO). What I do instead is put a stamped envelope addressed to me in the host pack, so the host can just put any after-show checks in the mail to me without looking for a stamp and delaying it. I wait until I receive the checks to submit the order.

I'd be a little leery as well of having this host handle other people's money. At least until she has a couple of card transactions go through successfully.

Be wary but also be aware - cards can be declined for a myriad of reasons. The obvious conclusion is always "Deadbeat" but there might always be another circumstance. (I also usually assume "deadbeat" as the reason, but I've had my own card declined, in the past, for security reasons that were easily corrected.)

She basically told me in not so many words that the card was over the limit. I got the impression that she was hoping it would just go through.

The only time I had a host send me checks (an out of town catalog show), it took over 2 weeks and several phone calls for her to finally send me the checks. That's really not an option for me, I don't like holding up shows waiting for checks and hoping they don't get lost in the mail. It's usually the orders after the show that I have checks wrote out to the host. I've never had an issue with this, most hosts like the idea themselves.

I just wanted to see if I was making a bigger deal out of this than necessary or what I should say to her. I think since she lives close enough (about 15 minutes away) I'll just get all her orders over the show and drive by and pick up any checks and her payment the next day.

KG, as always, has a good point. You should also trust your instinct on this one. If it smells a little fishy, use some safeguards to protect your reputation and your customers' money.

ETA: your plan to pick up the checks sounds like a good one.

Or, only accept CC for outside orders.

cmdtrgd said:
Or, only accept CC for outside orders.

I do push my hosts for this option, telling them then they don't have to worry about collecting checks, etc. Most of them end up getting checks anyways. I think some people are just too leary about giving their credit card info away, especially to a third party they don't even know or have never met.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Be wary but also be aware - cards can be declined for a myriad of reasons. The obvious conclusion is always "Deadbeat" but there might always be another circumstance. (I also usually assume "deadbeat" as the reason, but I've had my own card declined, in the past, for security reasons that were easily corrected.)
So true. I entered the exp date incorrectly for one of my guests and the card was declined. Once I got the date corrected, the pmt went through just fine. I was surprised when this one was declined too as this is a family with $$$$$$$. So, never assume why - I always put the blame on me and tell them that I must have entered the card info incorrectly and could we please verify the info.

pamperedlinda said:
So true. I entered the exp date incorrectly for one of my guests and the card was declined. Once I got the date corrected, the pmt went through just fine. I was surprised when this one was declined too as this is a family with $$$$$$$. So, never assume why - I always put the blame on me and tell them that I must have entered the card info incorrectly and could we please verify the info.

When I call about a credit card beind declined, the first thing I ask is if I can verify that I got the correct information. She basically told me that wasn't the problem and said she would have to pay me some other way. I took that has her meaning she knew it was over the limit and she was at least willing to pay for it some other way than canceling her order!

Once someone entereing in CC #'s at a department store 5 hours from here entered ONE number wrong in flagging some lady's account and guess who's # she entered instead of the deadbeats... MINE!!!!! I was at the grocery store trying to use my debit card knowing there was over $1000 in the account and they rejected my payment AND my check since it said I was flagged for fradulant useage. A neighbor was behind me in line and paid for my groceries so I could go home. It took me 2 weeks to get the mess cleared up so I couldn't write checks or use my card anywhere that had that stupid yet wonderful CheckScan system or whatever it was called at the time... I had to fax copies of my life history to the store, their bank, .... the president of the US .. jk... my bank made phone calls for me... it was a nightmare! I always try to let that be my first thought if a card gets rejected. Of course you know from this host that her's really was not usable so I would do a others have said and proceed with extreme caution.

quiverfull7 said:
Once someone entereing in CC #'s at a department store 5 hours from here entered ONE number wrong in flagging some lady's account and guess who's # she entered instead of the deadbeats... MINE!!!!! I was at the grocery store trying to use my debit card knowing there was over $1000 in the account and they rejected my payment AND my check since it said I was flagged for fradulant useage. A neighbor was behind me in line and paid for my groceries so I could go home. It took me 2 weeks to get the mess cleared up so I couldn't write checks or use my card anywhere that had that stupid yet wonderful CheckScan system or whatever it was called at the time... I had to fax copies of my life history to the store, their bank, .... the president of the US .. jk... my bank made phone calls for me... it was a nightmare! I always try to let that be my first thought if a card gets rejected. Of course you know from this host that her's really was not usable so I would do a others have said and proceed with extreme caution.

Wow! That is a crazy situation!

I have gone home from a show and entered in orders, only realizing when PP tells me it's an invalid card number that I wrote it down wrong. I cannot wait to get my laptop so I don't have to worry about that any more!

I use to take my laptop with me to do shows, but no more. It's just another heavy thing for me to carry, and with a bad back, I come home from most shows with a horrible backache. Besides, I never want a possible recruit to think you need to have a laptop in order to do this job.At my show on Sunday, I wrote someone's CC# down wrong, but it gave me an excuse to call them on Monday. When I did, I also discovered that she is very interested in the business, which I wouldn't have known right away if I hadn't called her the next day. So, since she lives an hour away from me, I've put the DVD and some other info in the mail to her. Who knows, she might be first recruit!

I was one of the holdouts about taking a laptop to shows because I was leery of receipts and such. I wouldn't do a show without it now - no more errors in arithmetic, no one wrong part numbers, and no more double entries. I don't know about anyone else, but I use nothing but outside order forms now. The guest comes to me with it, I enter everything and write the taxes and totals on the form - and let them keep it as a receipt.As for recruits - I tell them I had to do a few shows to raise enough money to buy it but it's one more benefit and goal for everyone.

My director/recruiter had hers at all the shows I went to with her when I was new. She used it as training for me to get to know PP before I had shows to submit. I liked the hands on training with customers that way. My biggest problem is alot of times when I get home from shows, it's late and I don't want to enter them in right away. So I have to wait until the next day and then the checks don't go into the back until the following day. I am also looking forward to no miscalculations, past host discounts, or having to go home and read a customer's handwriting with incorrect pricing, items, item numbers, etc!

Ann...that's a nice serviceGiving a postage paid envelope for any outside orders. I've never thought about that. I'm going to implement that - it's great!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I was one of the holdouts about taking a laptop to shows because I was leery of receipts and such. I wouldn't do a show without it now - no more errors in arithmetic, no one wrong part numbers, and no more double entries.

I may have to start doing this. I don't know if it's my calculator or just me (although I feel I am a reasonably intelligent person that can figure out tax) but I seem to always get a few that are off on the tax once I enter it into P3. And it's always more so I have to worry about getting people few-cent refunds! It's annoying! So bringing the laptop is probably the best solution. I just hope my battery can hold out.

I do what Ann does and send a SAE and have them send me the checks. I actually tell everyone now that debit/cc are best for me because I am so busy I can't get to the bank. Honestly though it's because I can't keep up with who owes me and what is being deposited. It has been fabulous knowing I don't have to go to the bank so much anymore.

Better take the cord!Most laptop batteries only give you 15 minutes of power before they decide to power themselves down. I know there are others but that is average.
I take my laptop, portable mouse - I hate that touch pad thingy - mouse pad, power supply and I make sure I have a pen. I just ask the host before I go to their home, if they have a place I can set it up close where I will demo. I hate it when I miss the after party chatter as this gives me more info to work with when I can connect it to a guest.
Then I do it just like KG. I use the outside order forms I print up, write up the totals on that and give it back as a reciept. I have not purchased a preprinted form from PC in over 4 years. I too am tax challenged. For some reason, I can never get it right! And sometimes that can cost a lot of money to fix! Especially on big orders and lots of orders. I can't afford that type of mistake. This way too I make sure I get the CC# and then too I NEVER have a hard copy so to speak. They should never be able to come back to me about fraud as I try to make them NOT write it on the form. I tell everyone this is only for the outside orders. Do not fill it out if you are here. So...
Now to get back to the discussion at hand, 99% of the time most of my declineds are because I still keyed in something wrong. It is so easy to miss a number or to enter that date wrong. Or I have even had it where the expiration date has been so close to the party date that the show goes in after the card has expired! So any number of things can go wrong. Trust your gut on this. If you truely believe you will have a problem, then do something else. She was point blank honest about it being over the limit. Strangely enough, that is an honest person.

If my debit card gets declined (which is often) it is because it is a non POS transaction. Almost anytime I have to type in my numbers or if the transaction won't go through right away for whatever reason my card will be declined. Not for lack of funds! I don't know why that happens! It really gets annoying. I know it is protecting me (I guess), but it is annoying!

I have a little note on my outside orders about "credit cards preferred". I'd rather not make a trip to the bank, but I'd never say that at a show.

Somebody always brings up they are uncomfortable giving CC# info to me since they don't know me. Then they write a check!

I think it's funny that people will not give me their credit card number, but they will give me a check with a lot more info on it - like their address & phone number, which I may not have had before.

If I was crime-minded, which I'm not, I think I could do more damage with that info, than with a credit card.

urbnk8 said:
I may have to start doing this. I don't know if it's my calculator or just me (although I feel I am a reasonably intelligent person that can figure out tax) but I seem to always get a few that are off on the tax once I enter it into P3. And it's always more so I have to worry about getting people few-cent refunds! It's annoying! So bringing the laptop is probably the best solution. I just hope my battery can hold out.
I always ask for a place to plug my computer into an outlet. My battery wont hold out, for sure. I've never had a problem with finding an outlet.

The only problem I've ever had bringing my lap top was when I took it to an older home that didn't have a three-prong outlet (my battery only lasts an hour 15 minutes, tops). Luckily, her husband had an adaptor. I carry one with me now just in case, but that was the only time I've ever needed it.

My host Tuesday asked about my laptop, so I got to brag on Apple a little. :) I never take the power cord to my shows. I don't want to scare the host that I'm going to be there all night. I leave the computer asleep, but with P3 started, until I start taking orders. Then it's not draining the battery.

1. What should I do if I have a guest who has a declined credit card but still wants to host a party?

If a guest has a declined credit card but still wants to host a party, we recommend discussing alternative payment options with them. This could include paying with a different credit card, setting up a payment plan, or paying with cash or check. We want to make sure the host is able to have a successful party and enjoy the host rewards!

2. Will the host still receive host rewards if their credit card is declined?

Yes, the host will still receive host rewards as long as the party reaches the required minimum sales. However, the order will not be placed until the payment issue is resolved.

3. Can the host use a different credit card to pay for their party if their original one is declined?

Yes, the host can use a different credit card to pay for their party if their original one is declined. We want to make sure the host is able to have a successful party and enjoy the host rewards!

4. What if the host is unable to pay with a different form of payment?

If the host is unable to pay with a different form of payment, we recommend discussing alternative options with them. This could include rescheduling the party for a later date, or having the orders shipped directly to the host's guests instead of to the host's address. Our goal is to find a solution that works for both the host and their guests.

5. Can I still submit orders for the party if the host's credit card is declined?

No, the orders cannot be submitted until the host's payment issue is resolved. We want to ensure that all orders are paid for before they are placed to avoid any issues or delays in receiving the products.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
kristina16marie
  • pkd09
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
Fluffy215
  • kam