• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Guests Make Checks to Host or You?

of you do this? What do you say to your hosts when you are telling them about payment? Has anyone encountered any negativity about it from the host?I like to just have them write checks to me. This way I know I have it. I don't want my host to have to worry about cashing them either. I figure it's my job to handle the finances, not hers. Now for outside orders, I explain to the host the different
chefsteph07
For years I have been having the guests make checks out to me...I have been thinking that I would rather have an individual check bounce to me, rather than a whole show...but, I have been thinking of changing that and having guests make checks to host and me getting one check or debit card payment for the whole show from them...it would save me alot of time! (and deposit slips! LOL)

How many of you do this? What do you say to your hosts when you are telling them about payment? Has anyone encountered any negativity about it from the host?

I like to just have them write checks to me. This way I know I have it. I don't want my host to have to worry about cashing them either. I figure it's my job to handle the finances, not hers. Now for outside orders, I explain to the host the different options. Some say they'll put everything on their card and then the friends will pay them back, or they collect the checks and mail them to me. I don't like to force the issue because some people don't want to charge it and money is tight and I think they worry about not getting reimbursed by their friends.I deposit checks through the ATM of my bank and have never had a problem with including many at one time. Plus it's nice to not have to fill out deposit slips. And the money is posted to my account immediately. Counter deposits take longer.

I have them make the checks payable to me as well. This way I get more contact information on the outside orders instead of them just giving me a name for the order. I have only had one bad check and it was from a girl that worked in my area. I should knock on wood when I say this.

babywings76 said:
I like to just have them write checks to me. This way I know I have it. I don't want my host to have to worry about cashing them either. I figure it's my job to handle the finances, not hers. .

I agree with this. I think it is our responsibility, not the host.

Our director told us to have them make the checks to the host. These are their friends and family and they know how to reach them if there is a problem with the payment. It makes our job easier. I have never had a host that complained about having to deposit the paments. When I'm going over things during my show at the end I tell everyone to make their checks to the host.

I've had the checks made payable to the Host ever since I started. I don't remember any Hosts complaining. I do a great deal to make it easy to host a show. I let them take on this part.

I have the guests write checks to the host! It is not my responsibiliy to hunt people down for their payment!! They know their friends and can better collect money from them.

They write checks to the host and the host pays me at the end with her debit or credit card. It is easier this way. And we can close the party out over the phone and I can send it in right away. I dont' have to wait for any checks to clear.

I address the issue during host coaching. I let them know that if they have a problem accepting checks from their friends that they need to let them know to pay with debit/credit cards. That usually solves the problem. I encounted alot of people who assume they have to pay with a check because otherwise I have to pay a fee. When I tell them at the party that credit/debit is preferred they are relieved and grateful that they can put it on a card instead of writing a check.

If the host is collecting outside orders before the show, I ask her to have the guests pay her or pay by credit card. Too many people make the check out to "Pampered Chef" and I won't submit the order until I receive payment, so those outside orders are the host's responsibility. At the show, I tell the guests to make the payment out to me.

Chef Kearns said:
I have the guests write checks to the host! It is not my responsibiliy to hunt people down for their payment!! They know their friends and can better collect money from them.

chefsteph07 said:
I have been thinking that I would rather have an individual check bounce to me, rather than a whole show...

How many of you do this? What do you say to your hosts when you are telling them about payment? Has anyone encountered any negativity about it from the host?

I have the checks made out to me up to now, but I don't hunt people down to get their payment. The host does that! I tell him/her that I have to have all the payments before I can close the show.

I also think it's better to get a small bounced check than a bounced check for a whole show!!! I did a mystery host order last year where two of my mystery hosts gave me cold checks!!! One was for $114, the other for $157!!! I would have DIED if they had done their own shows and they had been $600 or $700 instead!!! One got cleared up quickly and it was just a simple mistake... the other however, ignored my phone calls, avoided me at work, I went to her bank several times on pay day to see if funds were available... etc.

Camoblonde39 said:
Our director told us to have them make the checks to the host. These are their friends and family and they know how to reach them if there is a problem with the payment. It makes our job easier. I have never had a host that complained about having to deposit the paments. When I'm going over things during my show at the end I tell everyone to make their checks to the host.

My director told me the same thing, but I chose to have them make the checks out to me. I actually booked a show with someone who had previously done a show for my director. She asked me about that and told me that she wanted them made out to me because she didn't like it when she had to do it the other way when she did it before!

I always have them made out to me. I too tell my Hosts that I must have all the payments in before the Show. I encourage debit/credit card payments. I had one Show that had only the Past Host's order as the only "check" sale. Everything else was credit/debit cards. I do have a set of great Host/Co-Host who do catalog shows once or twice a month and since it is my Credit Union, they transfer all the money into my account so I deal with nothing from the individuals. These are the only ones who do this however, but it is more convenient for them!

I do both... For catalog shows, I have all the checks wrote out to the host and then close over the phone with one big payment by debit/cc. For regular shows, I do accept checks wrote out to me before or during the show. Any orders after the show or any that didn't pay before the show, I have them write their check to the host and then get one payment over the phone from my hosts.

chefsteph07 said:
For years I have been having the guests make checks out to me...I have been thinking that I would rather have an individual check bounce to me, rather than a whole show...but, I have been thinking of changing that and having guests make checks to host and me getting one check or debit card payment for the whole show from them...it would save me alot of time! (and deposit slips! LOL)

OK.... my very first show where I had the guests make their payments to the host and have her pay me with a credit/debit card...

well... guess what???? now the show's on hold because the host's credit card was declined!!! :(

I may have to go back to doing it the other way!!! I'll have to see how this one works out!!!

What does it mean to have guests make checks to the host or you?

Having guests make checks to the host or you means that when someone is paying for a service or product, they make the payment directly to the host or the person responsible for providing the service or product.

Why do hosts or service providers prefer guests to make checks to them?

Hosts or service providers may prefer this method of payment because it ensures that they receive the payment directly and can keep track of all payments made. It also eliminates the risk of not receiving payment if the check is made out to someone else.

Is it safe to make checks payable to the host or service provider?

Yes, as long as you are making the check to the correct person or business and the payment is for a legitimate service or product. It is always a good idea to confirm the recipient's information before making a payment.

What happens if I make a mistake and make the check out to the wrong person?

If you make a mistake and make the check out to the wrong person, you can contact the recipient and request that they return the check. Alternatively, you can also void the check and write a new one to the correct recipient.

Are there any other payment options besides making checks to the host or service provider?

Yes, there may be other payment options available such as online payments, credit or debit card payments, or cash. It is best to discuss payment options with the host or service provider to determine the best method for both parties.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• keynibear
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • barbara_anne
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
lkbcovington
  • PCJen