• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should I Wear Black to a Summer Wedding?

In summary, the author recommends wearing whatever you're comfortable in, whether it be black or a different color. She also recommends adding accessories to brighten up the look, and recommends Spanx for a slimming effect.

Is black at a wedding acceptable?

• Yes

Votes: 84 80.8%
  • No

Votes: 20 19.2%

• Total voters
jenniferknapp
Gold Member
I have 2-3 weddings to attend this summer, and I seem to find all black dresses that I like....I think that I like the "slimming" factor....

I have done it in the past, but I feel guilty to wear all black, especially in the summer...what are your thoughts?

I"d say wear whatever you're comfortable in:) It's kinda a joke in my family; my mom, aunt, and a couple of my cousins always wear black at weddings.
You could always brighten it up with accessories.

I think black is ALWAYS a good choice. Always classy.
The only color I wouldn't wear to a wedding is white.

I think that if it's partially black, it's okay, but a totally black dress to a wedding is just (in my opinion) not right!

.....unless it's your wedding, than I'd definitely say black is out!;)

If it is an evening wedding then probably not a problem.

My best friend just got married for her second time. Well, she insisted that EVERYONE wear Jeans and a nice top. Well, I listened to her wishes and wore jeans and a black top. A lot of people wore black.

Personally I wouldn't wear all black to a wedding but I think it's different in different areas. Just do whatever you think you will be comfortable in.

Personally, for a summer wedding I would stay away from black.
If you're concerned about the slimming factor don't wear pastels but go with bolder colors like green, maybe even eggplant [deep purple]. And remember, spanx is your friend. :)

I wouldn't wear black to a wedding in summer either. But also no white!

As long as you wear all one color, it'll be slimming. Maybe consider a pants or skirt suit. Or some classy gauchos?

HELLOOOOO, haven't any of you heard of the "little black dress?" It's supposed to be a staple in everyone's closet! I think it's a fine color. Just don't wear a big hat with a black veil, too, and I think you'll be fine.

From a fellow "East Coaster" I think black is A-OK... especially if its in the evening and/or formal. IMHO, your friend will be thrilled that you are there no matter what you wear! And, for a splash of color you could always add a shawl or maybe a scarf. I know in my area we have people wear anything ranging from jeans to a ballgown... all at the same wedding!

Okay, thanks everyone.....guess I need to go dress shopping!! My favorite dress that I wore for a formal night on my cruise in December is of course all black.... I am not a good accessorizer (I know, not a word!) ... so I will have to start looking now... 2nd question, I don't think that any of the guests will really overlap at the few weddings, could I wear the same dress to all 3?By the way, this is me in the dress that I am speaking of...http://myspace-269.vo.llnwd.net/01553/96/20/1553100269_m.jpg

Last edited:
jenniferknapp said:
I don't think that any of the guests will really overlap at the few weddings, could I wear the same dress to all 3?
Why the heck not? That's what I'd do! (Not that you should necessarily do anything that I would do. I'm just sayin' is all...)

I wear black to almost every wedding. Having a little black dress is a must in every closet. In fact I just bought another one from Boston Proper.

I don't see why wearing black to a wedding is an issue. Even if you are the bride. Wear what you're comfortable in that looks good on you.

WEAR THAT BLACK DRESS. It is a great, classic style. Never wrong. Pair it up with big chandleir ear rings, and strappy heels. Stay away from panty hose, or if you must be sure they are nude and sandal toe!

http://www.weddingchannel.com/ui/buildArticle.action;jsessionid=aCaqY162_YK4?assetPath=%2Ftemplates%2FArticles%2FNonContentSet%2FGuests%2Farticle_1152.html

Here's your "official" fashion advice for weddings...

If it's what you want to wear, then wear it. You might want to add some colorful jewelery to make it a little more 'festivey-summerish'. You could even wear shoes that are a different color too.

Thanks for posting that Janetupnorth!! That helps all of us for our future weddingsthat we need to attend!!!
So in answer to your question Jennifer, yes!!! Wear black, if you want to, and I would wear the same one to all of them unless you want to buy one floral or pastel print for a morning wedding! Now's a good time to shop too because all of the Easter/Spring dresses are out! Darn, I think I need to go shopping!!! I bought my daughter the prettiest little dress, matching hat and purse for Easter, but I think Mommy is just going to have to go buy one too! Plus I need a few new dresses for church. I think I know what I'll be doing next weekend!!!! Too many shows in the next week to go now!!! I'm busy, busy, busy!
Jennifer, again, you do what you want and what makes you happy, if anyone has a problem with it while your there, then they are probably jealous that they aren't as relaxed and carefree as you...:p ;) :)

I think that dress is perfect!! I would even wear it to all three weddings. I am cheap that way!

For those of you still reading this thread... I'm going to be attending my husband's ex-wife's wedding next month. :eek:

Would black still be appropriate? I need to buy a dress anyway, and I think I'd get more use out of a black one, but I don't want to do something inappropriate in this case either.

I doubt that Miss Manners ever had a protocol for "what to wear when you're wife #2 attending wife #1's third wedding." :p

jenniferp417 said:
For those of you still reading this thread... I'm going to be attending my husband's ex-wife's wedding next month. :eek:

Would black still be appropriate? I need to buy a dress anyway, and I think I'd get more use out of a black one, but I don't want to do something inappropriate in this case either.

I doubt that Miss Manners ever had a protocol for "what to wear when you're wife #2 attending wife #1's third wedding." :p
:eek: What ever you wear, make sure you look REALLY REALLY GOOD in it!;)

Oh believe me, I will make CERTAIN of it! :)

I am in a wedding this summer and she wants the bridesmaids to wear black dresses...... and it's an outdoor wedding.........

mommyhugz1978 said:
I am in a wedding this summer and she wants the bridesmaids to wear black dresses...... and it's an outdoor wedding.........

I would think that could get very hot! What length is she thinking?

I don't think that anyone would be mad that I wore a black dress, but I think that some people may look at me and say "What is she thinking?" ...not that I am a trendy person anyways! I might go shopping to see if I find something a little more festive, but no guarantees......thanks everyone!!

chefann said:
I don't see why wearing black to a wedding is an issue. Even if you are the bride. Wear what you're comfortable in that looks good on you.

In the Little House on the Praire books :D , there was a saying "Marry in black, wish yourself back". I guess that means that if you wear a black dress to get married in you will later wish you weren't married.

Thought I'd throw in that bizarre little quote. :) As a child I LOVED these books and read the ENTIRE series 8 times!! Funny how I can remember that saying 30 years after reading it but can't remember what I ate for dinner last night!

Oh, and my two cents.....definitely wear that black dress!! It looks so cute on you. I like the slimming factor of a little black dress too but would avoid it if the wedding is outside....TOO hot!

You were just looking for someone to tell you to go shopping, I know it...that dress is gorgeous! You look fantastic in it! I say wear that one, but if you want a new one, go for it! Also, definitely wear the same one...coming from cheap ol' me...

I've worn black at weddings and I've also worn the same dress at multiple weddings (even though some guests overlap!) Who's gonna remember, anyway??? :rolleyes:

It's funny, some of these Asian weddings I go to, half the guests are wearing black!!

My avatar is from a wedding I went to last summer...although hmm..my dress isnt all black..

speedychef said:
You were just looking for someone to tell you to go shopping, I know it...that dress is gorgeous! You look fantastic in it! I say wear that one, but if you want a new one, go for it! Also, definitely wear the same one...coming from cheap ol' me...
Well thank you!! Of course I always love shopping.....but I hate it when I am going with a mission, because when that happens, I never find something I like (Basically, I feel like I am bathing suit shopping all of the time!) I like shopping when I'm not looking for anything specific.... so, my plan will be to be on the lookout for a dress, of course at a reasonable price, but know that this one will be okay if I don't find anything else!

cat said:
I've worn black at weddings and I've also worn the same dress at multiple weddings (even though some guests overlap!) Who's gonna remember, anyway??? :rolleyes:

My 12-year-old cousin, that's who! :D One summer I wore the same dress to two different family events, and the cheeky little snot (she was 9 then I think) asked me if I had any other dresses.

KIDS! :p

Now....let's talk accessories that I could "liven up" this dress with, I know that the one wedding is in the evening in August, not sure what time the one in September will be... and then the other one is a night in June or July, but will be dressy, so this dress will probably be fine for that just the way it is!I am not a scarf person (as of right now....like I said, not a good accessorizer) ....and go for plain shows, or like the ones that I have on in the photo....not good in heels...For jewelry, I wore my diamond studs & necklace....maybe I should spice that up!?

okay so shop for jewelry to go with that dress! I think that dress is great for a wedding (any time of day)
I would go for simple jewelry for daytime and for night time something with a little more sparkle long or short will look nice with that style dress
think SILPADA!

GeorgiaPeach said:
In the Little House on the Praire books :D , there was a saying "Marry in black, wish yourself back". I guess that means that if you wear a black dress to get married in you will later wish you weren't married.

Thought I'd throw in that bizarre little quote. :) As a child I LOVED these books and read the ENTIRE series 8 times!! Funny how I can remember that saying 30 years after reading it but can't remember what I ate for dinner last night!

Oh, and my two cents.....definitely wear that black dress!! It looks so cute on you. I like the slimming factor of a little black dress too but would avoid it if the wedding is outside....TOO hot!

I had the same quote running through my head! hehe:D I LOVED those books! I used to pretend I was Laura, and wanted my family to call me "half-pint" (even though I was always very tall for my age growing up!) They were the first "Chapter Books" I read - I got them for Christmas in the 2nd grade, and I couldn't even begin to tell you how many times I read them!

I was always disappointed in the TV series - it never lived up to the way the books lived in my imagination!

reba515 said:
okay so shop for jewelry to go with that dress! I think that dress is great for a wedding (any time of day)
I would go for simple jewelry for daytime and for night time something with a little more sparkle long or short will look nice with that style dress
think SILPADA!

Haha, i love silpada, but of course the 2 things I purchases are pretty simple!!

so practice what you preach girl ! have a show earn FREE jewlery! :)
or spend what you would have on a new dress on jewels! (such logic ;) )

reba515 said:
so practice what you preach girl ! have a show earn FREE jewlery! :)
or spend what you would have on a new dress on jewels! (such logic ;) )
Hmmmm! decisions decisions! I just need a personal hair stylist and wardrobe consultant, ummmm.... yeah! Oh, and to win the lottery!!

Jennifer~

I agree with most here...you look so cute in that dress, and I think you could change up the look with jewlery in different styles for the different times of the weddings! You can surely wear the same one for 3...I doubt anyone will even notice, even if there are a few that overlap and go to the same wedding!
Good luck!

I can't be in this post. I am clothes freak. If I talk about it. I'll go shopping...UGGGG. Stop STOP!!!!! HEHE

One way you could accessorize is wearing a LOT of pearl necklaces. That's a neat way to jazz up a plain black dress. You do need to do a LOT of them so that it's obvious that it's intentional, and you're not just someone with no judgement. And then you wear a simple pair of pearl stud earrings.

Jilleysue said:
I can't be in this post. I am clothes freak. If I talk about it. I'll go shopping...UGGGG. Stop STOP!!!!! HEHE

Since I KNOW that you are still here Jilley, you can't just stop in and not give your .02 cents!!!

chefann said:
One way you could accessorize is wearing a LOT of pearl necklaces. That's a neat way to jazz up a plain black dress. You do need to do a LOT of them so that it's obvious that it's intentional, and you're not just someone with no judgement. And then you wear a simple pair of pearl stud earrings.

That would definately be a new look & feel for me...I haven't gotten in to that style (yet)!

jenniferp417 said:
My 12-year-old cousin, that's who! :D One summer I wore the same dress to two different family events, and the cheeky little snot (she was 9 then I think) asked me if I had any other dresses.

KIDS! :p

Haha...that is true! My 4 year old remembers EVERYTHING! Some kids are super-observant, although the average adult won't remember....I think.:p

:) I Think Its Ok,dress It Up With Accessories!:)

I think your dress is lovely. To me, wearing black to a wedding is fine, as long as it doesn't appear that you are in mourning. If you added a black hat with a dark veil to that little black dress, that would be a no-no.

I'm also assuming that you have not expressed dismay over the union. If you are vocal about your displeasure and show up wearing black, you're making a statement.

JANETDECKER said:
:) I Think Its Ok,dress It Up With Accessories!:)
Welcome Janet!! Everyone, Janet is in my cluster....I suggested her to join the site!:)Janet, we will have to schedule a shopping day for accessories!
raebates said:
I'm also assuming that you have not expressed dismay over the union. If you are vocal about your displeasure and show up wearing black, you're making a statement.
Rae, now that you say that....maybe I shouldn't wear it to one of the three weddings! HAHA....

cat said:
It's funny, some of these Asian weddings I go to, half the guests are wearing black!!

I plan on wearing black to my brother-in-law's wedding Sept. 1. It's going to have a Catholic Mass and then the traditional Chinese banquet. The bride is going to change multiple times over the course of the day.

Wearing white as a guest to one of these types of weddings is considered rude and disrespectful, since in Eastern cultures, wearing white is meant for funerals.

By all means wear the dress. Like everyone else says, some beautiful dangling earrings, bracelets, maybe some snazzy new shoes, go for it.

Try wearing your hair different, maybe up, then down?? Have fun.

What about spicing the dress up with a bright pair of shoes and a bright handbag? It would be fun and something you could wear again (and who doesn't want an excuse to go to DSW???). For the evening wedding a pretty shawl would be nice... I've seen some nice ones at Steinmart for a reasonable price. I would totally wear the same dress to everything... in fact every year I tend to buy a dress and wear it to all the events! I seem to have a color "scheme" for each season and everything I buy for that season surrounds that scheme... then I can mix and match and always know what year a picture was by what colors I was wearing ;)

<h2>1. Can I wear black to a summer wedding?</h2><p>Yes, it is generally acceptable to wear black to a summer wedding. However, it is important to consider the dress code and the overall vibe of the wedding. If the invitation specifies a dress code, such as "black tie" or "cocktail attire," it is best to follow those guidelines. Additionally, if the wedding is outdoors or has a more casual feel, it may be more appropriate to opt for a lighter color.</p><h2>2. Will wearing all black be too hot for a summer wedding?</h2><p>It depends on the fabric and style of the dress. If you choose a lightweight, breathable fabric such as cotton or linen, and a dress with a flowy or loose silhouette, you should be comfortable. Avoid heavy fabrics like velvet or wool, and opt for sleeveless or short sleeve styles to stay cool in the summer heat.</p><h2>3. Is it considered appropriate to wear all black to a wedding?</h2><p>Wearing all black to a wedding is generally considered appropriate, as long as it is done in a tasteful and respectful manner. It is important to avoid wearing anything too revealing or overly formal, as well as avoiding any accessories or details that may be seen as too somber or funeral-like.</p><h2>4. Will wearing all black make me stand out too much at the wedding?</h2><p>This depends on the overall dress code and style of the wedding. If the majority of guests are dressed in bright colors and patterns, wearing all black may make you stand out. However, if the wedding has a more formal or elegant dress code, wearing black may blend in with the rest of the guests. It is always a good idea to consider the venue and the couple's style when deciding what to wear.</p><h2>5. Can I accessorize with color if I wear an all black dress?</h2><p>Absolutely! Adding pops of color through accessories, such as a statement necklace or colorful heels, can add interest and personality to a black dress. Just be sure to choose colors that complement the dress and the overall vibe of the wedding. For a summer wedding, consider fun and vibrant colors like coral, yellow, or turquoise.</p>

Related to Should I Wear Black to a Summer Wedding?

1. Can I wear black to a summer wedding?

Yes, it is generally acceptable to wear black to a summer wedding. However, it is important to consider the dress code and the overall vibe of the wedding. If the invitation specifies a dress code, such as "black tie" or "cocktail attire," it is best to follow those guidelines. Additionally, if the wedding is outdoors or has a more casual feel, it may be more appropriate to opt for a lighter color.

2. Will wearing all black be too hot for a summer wedding?

It depends on the fabric and style of the dress. If you choose a lightweight, breathable fabric such as cotton or linen, and a dress with a flowy or loose silhouette, you should be comfortable. Avoid heavy fabrics like velvet or wool, and opt for sleeveless or short sleeve styles to stay cool in the summer heat.

3. Is it considered appropriate to wear all black to a wedding?

Wearing all black to a wedding is generally considered appropriate, as long as it is done in a tasteful and respectful manner. It is important to avoid wearing anything too revealing or overly formal, as well as avoiding any accessories or details that may be seen as too somber or funeral-like.

4. Will wearing all black make me stand out too much at the wedding?

This depends on the overall dress code and style of the wedding. If the majority of guests are dressed in bright colors and patterns, wearing all black may make you stand out. However, if the wedding has a more formal or elegant dress code, wearing black may blend in with the rest of the guests. It is always a good idea to consider the venue and the couple's style when deciding what to wear.

5. Can I accessorize with color if I wear an all black dress?

Absolutely! Adding pops of color through accessories, such as a statement necklace or colorful heels, can add interest and personality to a black dress. Just be sure to choose colors that complement the dress and the overall vibe of the wedding. For a summer wedding, consider fun and vibrant colors like coral, yellow, or turquoise.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• rennea
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
missyciccolella
  • pampchefrhondab
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sailorsarah
Replies