• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

andThey Said It Wouldn't Last . . .

In summary, Ginny's Japanese American family does not approve of her dating or marrying a black man, and her sister calls to congratulate them on their 27th anniversary. Despite the family's initial objections, Ginny and her black husband have been married for over 21 years and are still happy.
Kitchen2u
Background...I'm Japanese, my hubby is black. With my family (first/second generation Japanese Americans~VERY traditional family), it was not a well received idea that I was dating Robert, let alone marry him. You should see my "family" wedding portrait...3 Uncles were not smiling (more like frowning), same with 2 Aunts, 4 cousins and my brother! mY Aunt begged my Mom to talk me out of it...

Well, that saying, if you ever go black, you don't go back? LOL Well, today's our 27th wedding anniversary. My sister called me today to wish us a Happy Anniversary and said, "do you ever think of saying nah, na na, nah, na?" My answer was no. I don't have time or energy to focus on it, never had and never will. (Mind, you ALL of my family are fine with it...my brother being the longest, about 5 years) My sister then said, "that's why, your love, your devotion . . . that's why it's working!"

Just waiting for my dear hubby to come home from work...Ryan's at work and Robyn's at the high school football game playing in the marching band...we've got the home to ourself...well, Molly (beagle) and Lily (Ms. Mutt!) are here...woohoo!

We're celebrating one of MANY MORE!

Congratulations!

Awesome! Congratulations, enjoy your evening :)

Any marriage that last a lifetime is worth celebrating!!! Congrats have a wonderful Anniversary!

Happy anniversary, Ginny!

Have a great evening you deserve it. Congratulations on 27 years.

awesome! Congratulations!

Great story!! Happy Anniversary!

When I called my sister to say I eloped, she said we wouldn't last 10 years. That was well over 21 years ago!!!

Happy Anniversary - congratulations!

Happy Anniversary! :)

Happy Anniversary Ginny & Hubby!!!

Congrats and have fun Ginny ;) :D

Yeah Ginny and DH!! Congrats!

Congraulations! Go see "Fireproof"! You'll love it!

Happy Anniversary!!

Happy Anniversary and to many more!

So sorry that your family was not supportive all those years ago. :(

And Congratulations on your 27th Wedding Anniversary! :D

There was talk about The Furry Guy and me, too. I was recently divorced. We'd known one another for less than a year. We're very different people--I'm a true extrovert/he's a textbook introvert; I'm a city girl/he's Mr. Nature. We'll be married 24 years in March. We're very, very happy. Those naysayers didn't have a clue.

Congratulatoins- I hope you have at least 100 more!

Congratulations Ginny! I love to hear stories like yours!

We celebrate 9 years next weekend....on our way to 27 and more!

Thanks EVERYONE for your kind wishes and words. The first few years were a little difficult since I knew what some of the family felt. As I'm sure it was most uncomfortable with my husband too.

The funny thing, is after the yelling and screaming my parents and I had at the time I told them I was dating Robert, then again when I told them I was marrying him...it only took ONE meeting with him for them to fall in love with him. You know how they say, girls tend to fall for men who are a lot like their fathers? Well, Robert and my father are like "pea and pod!" They are both handy around the house, they love to do the same things, etc. They hit it off immediately. Dad will often ask Robert to come over and help him rather than my brother! Isn't that funny? Of course, Mom adores him too. She said to me one day, "how can I not, he's just like Dad!" We both laughed.

It took a couple of years for my brother to come around, but after he got to know Robert more and more, he also just has a blast with him. My uncles and aunts took a bit longer, but that was totally understandable for us. They come from a generation of folks who you ONLY marry Japanese. My one uncle who had the most difficult with our situation said (on his death bed) to Robert and I when we went to see him, "Robert, you're a good man. I'm sorry I didn't take the time to get to KNOW you before I made judgement. I hope you understand and forgive me. I love both of you." Fifteen minutes later, he died. My cousins and Aunt said he waited for us to be there. He died in peace with himself.

I KNEW everyone would come around once they met and got to know my WONDERFUL hubby! It's funny, some of them questioned if he was really black! LOL He's lighter skinned, but he's black!

I prepared dinner for my SIL (just had surgery) and another friend who had a minor surgery yesterday...we dropped the dinners off and both of them said..."you made dinner on your anniversary?" Nope...made it for you ~ we're going to dinner now!

Last night we had dinner at one of the local favorites and had the wondeful jambalaya (yum!) and the amazing crab dip! At dinner, we both talked about "where did those years go?" We had a great time talking about the funny and not so funny times during the last 27 years...now we've got 27+ years to go!

Thanks again everyone!

Love to hear those stories!! CONGRATS!!!

DH and I are celebrating 10 yrs at the end of the month. Headed on a long weekend trip! :D We've always known that there was something special between us and no one else knows anything about what we feel for each other. When I've had negative comments about our relationship (we're 10 years apart), I always comment the same way: "Makes me wonder if you know what true love is..." That usually shuts them up and I'm nice about it so they aren't offended. ;)

Its so great to be celebrating 10 years! Can't wait to get to my 27th!!:)

Ginny Congrats on 27 years!!!:DHope to see you at leadership!!!

Happy Anniversary Ginny!

Happy Anniversary, Ginny! Sounds like you had a great time.

DH & I were met with many a naysayer too... ;) We'll be celebrating 5 together on Jan. 1. :) Knew each for less than 9 weeks when we got married.

ragschef said:
We've always known that there was something special between us and no one else knows anything about what we feel for each other. When I've had negative comments about our relationship (we're 10 years apart), I always comment the same way: "Makes me wonder if you know what true love is..." That usually shuts them up and I'm nice about it so they aren't offended. ;)

Its so great to be celebrating 10 years! Can't wait to get to my 27th!!:)

Congrats on your 10 year anniversary later this month! You're right...no one else knows but you and him! And the others's just don't get it sometimes.

pamperedalf said:
Hope to see you at leadership!!!

I will be there...hope to see you too...not going in the night before. Going in on Thursday morning this time.

crystalscookingnow said:
Happy Anniversary, Ginny! Sounds like you had a great time.

DH & I were met with many a naysayer too... ;) We'll be celebrating 5 together on Jan. 1. :) Knew each for less than 9 weeks when we got married.

Wow! I thought my husband and I were quick...Blind date 12/31/80, engaged 4/21/81, married 10/10/81 ~ so it wasn't 9 weeks...more like 9 months and 10 days...good for you two!

Congratulations!! What a milestone to be proud of!!:):)

What is "And They Said It Wouldn't Last . . ."?

"And They Said It Wouldn't Last . . ." is a cookbook written by Pampered Chef consultant Doris Christopher. It features recipes and stories from couples who have been married for 50 years or more.

Who is Doris Christopher?

Doris Christopher is the founder of Pampered Chef, a direct sales company that sells kitchen tools, cookware, and food products. She wrote "And They Said It Wouldn't Last . . ." to celebrate long-lasting marriages and the importance of gathering around the dinner table.

What types of recipes are included in the cookbook?

The cookbook features a variety of recipes, including appetizers, main dishes, side dishes, and desserts. There are also recipes for special occasions, such as holidays and anniversaries, as well as recipes for everyday meals.

Are the recipes difficult to make?

No, the recipes in "And They Said It Wouldn't Last . . ." are designed to be easy to follow and make. They use simple ingredients and include step-by-step instructions, making them accessible for cooks of all skill levels.

Can I purchase "And They Said It Wouldn't Last . . ." through Pampered Chef?

Yes, "And They Said It Wouldn't Last . . ." is available for purchase through Pampered Chef's website or through a Pampered Chef consultant. It can also be found at select bookstores and online retailers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kitchen2u
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pamperedharriet
  • pc_jessica
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Shawnna
  • wadesgirl