• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should I Invest in a Grill Pan? Recipes and Ideas for Using it More Often

In summary, the Grill Pan is not used a lot at shows, but it is used a lot at home. The Panini Sandwiches are made in the Grill Pan and it is also used for Tilapia fish. The DBG is a big temptation to take advantage of, but it is a great addition to the kitchen.
babywings76
Gold Member
I am debating on whether or not I should spend money on the host special for Sept. I already have the 12 in skillet and lid. I pretty much am functioning well with the cookware I already own in my kitchen. So if I get anything, it would pretty much be just for the benefit of using it at shows. (I'd use it at home if I had some recipes for it) So, is the grill pan used that much? Are there recipes for it? I know that the Chicken, Avacado, and Grapefruit salad uses it, but is that it? I just don't know if I want to spend the $, even with it at such a great deal. KWIM?

Our Panini Sandwiches are made in the Grill Pan. I also use it for Tilapia fish which cooks very fast and has the nice little stripes on it. It keeps the fish from laying on the oil you spray on the pan to prevent it from sticking. Its a big temptation to take advantage of these hostess specials when you have an opportunity but it eats up your profits real fast. I know from personal experience. The 12" Skillet and lid are my absolute favorite in the Executive cookware. I use it constantly. Next most used is my 10" skillet which I think might be on our supply order form, or at least it was in S/S. I love the 8 qt. pot and use it often but not at shows.

I just got it, and am thinking I shouldn't have. I don't have the grill press (yet) and so the chicken I cooked in it took a long time, and the panini's didn't come out quite right. Bacon was nice though. :)

I don't see it being used a bunch at shows, but we eat a ton of grilled chicken breasts at home, so I think I'll use it a lot - once I get a grill press.

I thought I would use it a lot, but I don't use much. I don't like cleaning it. Stuff gets stuck in the ridges, and I have to scrub to get it clean. I'm sure it still cleans easier than other grill pans, but it's no where near as easy to clean as other Exec. pans.

The piece that I really surprised me, and I love it so much is the DBG! I use it several times a week. I used it Saturday to make quesadillas. I use it to make pancakes, french toast, grilled cheese, for sauteing large amounts of chicken breasts, or whitefish. I've used it to make scrambled eggs on one end while sausage or Canadian bacon was heating on the other end - and I often use the grill press with it. I make my panini sandwiches in it (then I can make them all at the same time) and move the grill press around where I want it on the DBG.

I don't use it cuz I hate to clean it!!!

I use my grill pan a LOT. Both with and without the press. Sometimes I don't feel like dragging out the BBQ grill for hot dogs or sausages for dinner, and the grill pan is a decent substitute (the juices hitting the hot pan between the ridges create some slight smoke and help flavor the sausages, like a "light" version of grilling). The cookware I use the most are my 12" skillets (Professional and SS). I even use them at shows for some recipes that call for other pans (the One Pot Pasta can be done in a 12" instead of a stockpot). You should take a look at your cooking habits as well as keep track of your "I wish I had" moments to figure out what will be the best addition to your kitchen.

hmm... I've never had a problem cleaning my grill pan. And I don't even have the Exec one, mine's a Professional. A brush (like the Easy Clean Brush from the catalog) makes a huge difference in getting it clean. As does putting 1/2 inch of water in it and setting it on a hot burner for a few minutes to soften the gunk.

chefann said:
hmm... I've never had a problem cleaning my grill pan. And I don't even have the Exec one, mine's a Professional. A brush (like the Easy Clean Brush from the catalog) makes a huge difference in getting it clean. As does putting 1/2 inch of water in it and setting it on a hot burner for a few minutes to soften the gunk.

Yeah, but I don't want to have to do all that.:rolleyes::eek: My other Exec. cookware is clean with the swipe of a soapy cloth.....and THAT is all I want to have to do!

I'm lazy - and I don't like to wash dishes!:blushing:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my grill pan. I use it several times a week. The only pan I use more often is the Exec 12" skillet. I do have the grill press, but rarely use it.
As for cleaning -- the easy clean brush makes the pan quick & easy to clean. I don't find it any harder to clean than my other Exec cookware.
I vote for you to get the grill pan :)

So do you really need the press to make the paninis and other things? Can you just flip them? I have a large electric skillet that I use, so I don't think I'll get the DBG. But if I didn't already have that, I would probably have gotten it. ;)

babywings76 said:
So do you really need the press to make the paninis and other things? Can you just flip them? I have a large electric skillet that I use, so I don't think I'll get the DBG. But if I didn't already have that, I would probably have gotten it. ;)

I love both the grill pan and DBG. I had an electric one but love the DBG much better! For the grill pan, I love cooking chicken and burgers on it. I just take the chicken, throw a little bit of seasoning on it and put the press on. Sometimes I feel like the press helps to cook a little but faster.

wadesgirl said:
I love both the grill pan and DBG. I had an electric one but love the DBG much better! For the grill pan, I love cooking chicken and burgers on it. I just take the chicken, throw a little bit of seasoning on it and put the press on. Sometimes I feel like the press helps to cook a little but faster.

Me too! In fact, I said for a long time "why do I need the DBG, I have my electric griddle"....but wow! What a difference - and so much less storage space - AND it can go in the oven! The other day, I started chicken parmesan on it on the stove top, and finished it in the oven. (the sides are comparable to the sides of the bar pan - so you can put fluids in it.)

Oh no, now you've done it. Now I'm even more undecided. ;) Hmm, grill pan, grill press, DBG... I guess I was thinking my electric one was fine, and I like that someone can be at the island doing the pancakes while someone can be at the stove doing the eggs and whatever. I do the bacon in the bar pan in the oven. But I like how you pointed out it's versatility. How do you store it? Right now I have to store my electric one in my mud room! It's just too long to fit in my cookware drawers and my cabinets are stuffed with stoneware and the salad spinner and torte pans and tupperware (shh) :) But the DBG, maybe it would store more easily since it doesn't have legs and a cord? Okay, okay, I'm getting off track. Back to the grill pan.....do I need the press, will I be frustrated in not having it?

babywings76 said:
Oh no, now you've done it. Now I'm even more undecided. ;) Hmm, grill pan, grill press, DBG... I guess I was thinking my electric one was fine, and I like that someone can be at the island doing the pancakes while someone can be at the stove doing the eggs and whatever. I do the bacon in the bar pan in the oven. But I like how you pointed out it's versatility. How do you store it? Right now I have to store my electric one in my mud room! It's just too long to fit in my cookware drawers and my cabinets are stuffed with stoneware and the salad spinner and torte pans and tupperware (shh) :) But the DBG, maybe it would store more easily since it doesn't have legs and a cord? Okay, okay, I'm getting off track. Back to the grill pan.....do I need the press, will I be frustrated in not having it?
I wasn't for sure if I should get the press or not. I ended up getting at 50% off when I hosted my own catalog show which made it better. As for the DBG, I have a peninsula in our kitchen that has open cabinets below it. I have the DBG resting on it's side along the back side of the cabinets.

I just had to laugh, I'm sitting here thinking...."now maybe I'd have more storage space for the trifle bowl and other things if I had an actual dining room set and hutch." Isn't it funny how I can go from "should I spend $48 on the discounted grill pan" to wanting the pan, the press, the DBG, and a hutch! :)--now you know why I was convinced into being a consultant--I want it all! I'm easily swayed. ;)

The press isn't completely necessary. But since Paninis are by definition pressed, then you'll need the grill press to make them (or wrap a brick in foil and use that).

I actually love the Grill Pan. DH wanted it last year and I was against getting it since I thought we would never use it.

We don't use it as much as the saute pans or the 12" skilet - but it makes the BEST grilled cheese sandwiches.

A couple times in the summer, DH didn't have room on the grill for my zuchinni in the Grill basket, so I cooked them on the grill pan. It did a great job.

DH just cooked hot dogs on them (he was too tired to deal with the grill tonight) and it did the hot dogs really nice.

Now, the Grill Press: NEVER use.

chefann said:

I never have a problem cleaning mine either. Earlier this week I used it for pork chops and let the heat get too high so it was a mess.

I literally sprayed it clean with my kitchen faucet sprayer--no scrubbing! Seriously! You all must have got a bad batch or something.

Love my grill pan!!!!! Got it in April @ 40% off...WHAT A GREAT INVESTMENT!!! I've used it plenty of times at shows (Jamaican Jerk Chicken Pasta salad). I love love love it....
I use our kitchen brush to clean it and I LOVE IT!!!

I don't use my grill pan very often, but I cook very differently in the cold months. Maybe I'll start using it more coming up this cold season.

Ok I wasn't even in on this conversation and now I want a grill pan. I have the press but I was never able to pick up the pan. I had been considering it because with cooler months comming we could grill in and use it. I haven't even opened my grill press yet becuase I got it just before we moved. Thanks!

I know I've posted how much I love the grill pan and the sandwiches I'm completely addicted to making on it. One thing I love it even more for... We ran out of propane for our grill about a month ago, and we haven't remembered to get it filled. So, last week, on our "really busy" day, I figured we'd just have grilled chicken. Duh! But, I cooked it in the grill pan, with the press and it was fantastic! I don't have much trouble cleaning it -- just use the kitchen brush or a sponge, and it comes out!

Lisa Amblo (sp?) is one of the top sellers of Cookware - she ALWAYS brings a 12" skillet and the Grill Pan to a Show.

I like having the Press.

I use the grill pan a few times a week, even in the summer! I think I actually use it more than the 12" skillet! Just sprinkle some of the Smoky BBQ Rub over some chicken breasts and DH is in heaven!
I have found that if I don't clean the pan right away, it can be really difficult to clean. I made the mistake of making the Ultimate Peppercorn Burgers and not cleaning the pan until the next day. I wouldn't suggest that! Lots of scrubbing with the Easy Clean Brush!
Definitely get the grill pan! And definitely clean it right away!

I got my grill pan in the spree, or else I never would have. I have used it like once. Roomie (who thinks the grill pan doesn't drain away grease the way the Foreman does) has never used it.I think I may use it a bit more often once my press shows up ... stuff just takes too long to cook without it ...I'd love to have some recipes and ideas so I'd use it more often ...

Di_Can_Cook said:
I'd love to have some recipes and ideas so I'd use it more often ...

There is a pork tenderloin recipe in the Latin Flavor book that is FANTASTIC.

1. Should I get the grill pan if I already have a regular frying pan?

Yes, the grill pan is a great addition to your cookware collection. It allows you to achieve those coveted grill marks on your food and adds a unique flavor to your dishes.

2. Can I use the grill pan on an electric stove?

Yes, the grill pan is suitable for use on electric stoves. However, make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and care.

3. How do I clean the grill pan?

The grill pan should be hand washed with warm, soapy water. Avoid using harsh scrubbers or abrasive cleaners as they can damage the non-stick coating. If there are stubborn food particles stuck on the pan, soak it in warm water for a few minutes before washing.

4. Can I use metal utensils on the grill pan?

No, it is not recommended to use metal utensils on the grill pan as they can scratch the non-stick surface. Instead, use silicone, plastic, or wooden utensils to protect the coating.

5. Is the grill pan dishwasher safe?

No, the grill pan is not dishwasher safe. The high heat and harsh detergents used in dishwashers can damage the non-stick coating. It is best to hand wash the grill pan for optimal longevity.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • chefheidi2003
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
winklermom
  • NMmommy