• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant Rusting Grill Press: Can I Save It?

In summary, the grill press was left outside and frozen, causing it to rust. There are ways to clean it, but it will never be the same.
chefheidi2003
Gold Member
I have a grill press..my family decided to use it on the grill. I am not at my house very often because I am always at my boyfriend's house..so I didn't know it was used on the regular grill then left outside. Until last week when I saw it sitting outside on the porch FROZEN in a puddle of water in another pan. SO..now the grill press looks rusted..is there ANYWAY that I can save it? If not I am glad that it is something that is $34 but I am just SO mad about it.

Here's what the PIG says:

Technical / Safety / Cleaning Tips:
• Standard Care: Wash prior to first use; dishwasher-safe. Remove immediately and towel dry.
• Do not use the Grill Press on a BBQ grill (due to enamel coating).

That said, since it's cast iron, you could try some of these tips:

How to Clean Cast Iron

That really stinks!! Good luck! :)

:( Sounds like someone needs to be buying you a new one!

wow, I'm with Sheila. That's terrible. they should buy you a new one......and even though it's cast iron, I think the cooking surface has a non-stick coating of some kind. So sorry that happened to you.I hope some of the tips from Cathy will help.

Here's tips I really liked on that link..

Cleaning
  • Why can’t I use soap to clean cast iron? Sigh…Ok, some people do use soap, but this is a sin against The Church of Cast Iron. How about this: grab some canola oil and pretend it’s soap (soap is made from fats and oils, after all) and scrub away. This will get your cast iron clean – BUT IT WILL NEVER SPARKLE…for Christ’s sake.
  • Wire brush. My neighbors are smart when it comes to the culinary arts. They clean cast iron with a wire brush, but then again, their seasoning is old and well-bonded to the cast iron.
  • Clean rust and built-up fat from cast iron with Coca-Cola. Here is a yet another reason never to drink but, alas, to buy Coca Cola. Leave your cast iron in this vile soda overnight and scrub away with a plastic brush in the morning. It works.
  • To clean lots of rust or built-up gunk, use a rotary wire brush. This is great for those ancient, neglected cast iron pieces discovered at garage sales. Buy a mean wire brush that can attach to a power drill. Go to town. Your cast iron will soon be ready for re-seasoning.

I'm off to get some coke....as mine was left sitting in a dishpan full of water...ugh and now have rust spots....maybe I'll make someone buy me a new one!

Thank you everyone.* Hopefully something will work for cleaning it.* If I fix it..I will be bringing it to my boyfriend's house..same thing that I did with my Santoku after I figured out that that had been put in the dishwasher..which I KNOW that I told them that it could not happen..luckily the only issue with that is that my handle looks dull, I can DEFINATELY live with that.

I have cleaned rusty cast iron before with salt and water. Just sprinkle salt on and add a little water and scrub with a paper towel or brush. The salt granules get down into the small crevices and scrub and it’s easy to rinse because the salt dissolves.

Sounds like you need to keep your PC stuff with you.

Sheila said:
:( Sounds like someone needs to be buying you a new one!

My thoughts exactly! I was always taught that if you break something that belongs to someone else, you replace it! No questions asked.

1. Can I remove rust from my grill press?

Yes, you can remove rust from your grill press. The best method is to mix equal parts of white vinegar and water in a bowl and soak the grill press in the solution for about 30 minutes. Then, use a scrub brush or steel wool to gently remove the rust. Rinse the grill press with water and dry it thoroughly before use.

2. Can I save a rusted grill press?

Yes, a rusted grill press can be saved. First, remove as much rust as possible using the vinegar and water solution or a commercial rust remover. Then, season the grill press by rubbing it with a light layer of vegetable oil and placing it in a preheated 350-degree oven for one hour. This will help prevent future rusting.

3. How can I prevent my grill press from rusting?

To prevent your grill press from rusting, make sure to clean it thoroughly after each use. Dry it completely before storing it in a cool, dry place. You can also season the grill press regularly by rubbing it with a light layer of vegetable oil and heating it in the oven. Additionally, avoid leaving the grill press in contact with moisture or acidic foods for long periods of time.

4. Can I use a rusted grill press?

It is not recommended to use a rusted grill press. Rust can transfer onto your food and potentially be harmful to consume. It is best to remove the rust or season the grill press before using it again.

5. How often should I clean and season my grill press?

It is a good idea to clean and season your grill press after each use to prevent rusting. If you notice any rust, make sure to remove it promptly and season the grill press before using it again. Doing this regularly will help prolong the lifespan of your grill press.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• gailz2
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
gailz2
  • BettieC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
zmom58
  • mike nike