• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ss Saute Pan or Covered Skilled???

In summary, the conversation is about purchasing stainless cookware and debating between a 10" saute pan and a 10" covered skillet. One person recommends getting the cheaper SS saute pan and a piece from the Executive line, while another suggests getting the 10" covered skillet because it is more versatile. The conversation also mentions using the 12" SS skillet more frequently and the possibility of making dishes like bread pudding and Asian noodle skillet in the 10" skillet. Both individuals are not fans of stainless cookware but still use it at shows.
BeckyC5830
It's my kit enhancement month and I want to buy a piece of stainless cookware and am debating over the 10" saute pan or the 10" covered skillet. I already have the 12" Executive Skillet with lid, so I'm not sure I need the 12" stainless skillet. I welcome any opinions on which pan you use the most at shows (and home), and how you use them and any other comments that may be helpful to my decision making.

Thank you!

I only have the SS 8" saute pan, and then I have the 7 pc Executive set + the 12" family size executive and the grill pan and the 8" executive... I use all of my Executive (love the 12" and 10" covered pieces)... I never use my SS saute pan, I take it to shows to show as an example... I would get that one (it's the cheapest) and then get a piece from the Executive line that you would use... I've really been looking at the 10" saute pan but in the Executive... but that's just me... not a Stainless kind of cook. If I had to choose between the 2 that you mentioned, I would probably go with the covered skillet, just because I think that would be more versatile... you can mostly do whatever you'd do in the saute in that, but you can't do what you do in the covered in the saute, KWIM? Sorry, probably wasn't much help.

I do use my 12" SS Skillet quite a bit more than my SS sautes - so I am thinking I would recommend the 10" covered Skillet.

Plus, you can make the bread pudding from the fall SB in the SS 10". I make a half batch of the Pork/Chicken Asian Noodle skillet all the time and I would be able to use the 10" for that.

Plus if you are going to brown meat and use the the fond (browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan) and then make a sauce - you could still do that in the 10" Skillet.

ChefPaulaB said:
I only have the SS 8" saute pan, and then I have the 7 pc Executive set + the 12" family size executive and the grill pan and the 8" executive... I use all of my Executive (love the 12" and 10" covered pieces)... I never use my SS saute pan, I take it to shows to show as an example... I would get that one (it's the cheapest) and then get a piece from the Executive line that you would use... I've really been looking at the 10" saute pan but in the Executive... but that's just me... not a Stainless kind of cook. If I had to choose between the 2 that you mentioned, I would probably go with the covered skillet, just because I think that would be more versatile... you can mostly do whatever you'd do in the saute in that, but you can't do what you do in the covered in the saute, KWIM? Sorry, probably wasn't much help.

...what she said goes for me as well. Since I'm not a SS cook, I decided to just get the 8" to use as an example. (I did, however, spring for another SS grill basket so now I have 2 of those and am loving that flexibility.)

Hi there! I'm happy to share my personal experience with the stainless cookware in my kit. I personally use the 10" saute pan the most at my shows and at home. It's a versatile pan that can be used for sautéing, searing, and even making sauces. The 10" covered skillet is also a great choice, especially if you want the option to cover your food while cooking. As for the 12" stainless skillet, I find that it's a bit too large for most of my cooking needs. Plus, since you already have the 12" Executive Skillet, it might not be necessary to have another large skillet in your kit. Ultimately, it depends on your cooking style and what you plan on using the pan for. But from my experience, the 10" saute pan has been a go-to for many of my recipes and demonstrations. I hope this helps with your decision-making process. Happy cooking!

1. What is the difference between a sauté pan and a covered skillet?

A sauté pan has straight sides and a flat bottom, while a covered skillet has sloped sides and a rounded bottom. The straight sides of a sauté pan provide more surface area for browning and tossing ingredients, while the sloped sides of a covered skillet make it easier to stir and flip food.

2. Can I use the sauté pan as a covered skillet?

Yes, you can use a sauté pan as a covered skillet by simply placing a lid on top. However, the sloped sides may make it more difficult to stir and flip food compared to a traditional covered skillet.

3. Is the sauté pan or covered skillet better for sauces?

The sauté pan is better for making sauces because of its straight sides and larger surface area. This allows for better evaporation and helps sauces thicken more quickly. However, a covered skillet can also be used for sauces with similar results.

4. Can I put my sauté pan or covered skillet in the oven?

Yes, both the sauté pan and covered skillet are oven-safe, but it is important to check the specific instructions for your specific product. Some may have temperature limitations or may not be safe for use in the oven at all.

5. How do I clean my sauté pan or covered skillet?

Both the sauté pan and covered skillet are dishwasher safe, but hand washing with warm, soapy water is recommended to prolong the life of the product. Avoid using harsh abrasives or metal utensils, as they can scratch the surface of the pan. If food is stuck on, let the pan soak in warm water before scrubbing with a non-abrasive sponge or cloth.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• NOLA RN
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pattybrady
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • nikiknits