• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Sending Hanukah Cards: Etiquette for Non-Celebrants | Tips & FAQs

In summary, friends of all different religions can send each other cards during the holiday season without any offense being taken.
susanr613
Gold Member
To those of you who do not celebrate Hanukah, would you be offended if a Jewish acquaintance sent you a Hanukah card?

Thanks -

Absolutely not! Just as I hope I don't offend anyone if the do not celebrate Christmas and I send them a Christmas card. It a gesture of good cheer and blessing's in my opinion.

I am with Laurie! A holiday wish is a holiday wish!

I would be happy that they remembered of me :)

chefcharity said:
I am with Laurie! A holiday wish is a holiday wish!

I absolutely agree...for those who don't celebrate my holiday I try to just send a genertic greeting card, this way no offense taken either way.

Wouldn't bother me. I'd also be happy that they thought of me.
God bless,
Amanda

Not at all! After all, Jesus was Jewish, and the Festival of Lights is an older feast than Christmas. Not as old as Passover (uggh, time to start planning our church's 2009 Seder), but pretty ancient.

Actually, I'd much rather you wished me a Happy Chanukah (or sent me a card) than totally ignore me when I wish you a Merry Christmas. You're expressing your desire for the other person to be happy in this season, according to your beliefs. It shouldn't be regarded as offensive.

Not at all! As most have stated, a holiday wish is a wish! :)

Not at all! I love to receive holiday wishes - no matter from whom!

I wouldn't care. We have some Jewish friends who skip over the whole December holiday all together and send Happy New Year cards. :)

I found cards with both Christmas and Hanukkah on it. I.m Jewish DH is Christian. We send to both sides of family...And friends. We get both kinds of cards from everyone....

I would not be offended. If I am friends enough with someone for them to send me a card then they know my beliefs and should know what kinds of card they will be getting in the mail from me. If our friendship is not offended by a belief then my card sending should not be offended or altered either.

Does that make sense?

yes it does and i am happy to get christmas cards from my christian friends. my question was more about acquaintences - someone you don't know very well. seems to me that greetings are happily accepted no matter what the card looks like.

thanks!!!

I would feel honored to receive a Hanukkah card.

I have a very Christian aunt and a very Jewish aunt. Funny you ask this...I just made my aunt a card for Hanukkah because she always has a celebration that the whole family is invited to and we love it. However my cousins wife argued with her mother in law that it was rude to send the jewish aunt a Christmas card since we all know they are Jewish...I am with you on a wish is a wish but thats just some family drama...Sheesh!

To those that I don't know so well I just do New Year cards :) The new year is SOOO needed this year!

:sing:put on your yarmulke, it's time to celebrate Hanukah. It's so much funukuh to celebrate Hanukah:sing:

I love that song, deliberately listen to secular radio in hopes that I will hear it, and would be honored if I got a Hanukah card.

As a friend who celebrates at a Messianic congregation said, "Jesus is the light of the world." She is celebrating Hanukah as well.

I am not much for cards that do not make any reference to the true meaning of Christmas, but when I give cards to people who are Jewish, I go out of my way to find one of the "season's greetings" cards.

Question: Do you give one card for each day of the festival?:D

I wouldn't be offended, just like I'm not offended to receive Christian cards even though I'm not Christian. It's the spirit of the gift, not the specific card, I think.

We send out New Year cards, too, which are hopefully inoffensive to our Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, and athiest friends alike. Who doesn't want a happy New Year? We celebrate Winter Solstice in our own home rather than Christmas, but we have people on our list from all different religious backgrounds and everyone starts the New Year together.

Hm, that's not true, either, since our Jewish and Chinese friends both have their own New Years, at different times of the year. Maybe I just need to send "Peace on Earth" cards this year. Who doesn't like peace?

pamperedpals said:
Absolutely not! Just as I hope I don't offend anyone if the do not celebrate Christmas and I send them a Christmas card. It a gesture of good cheer and blessing's in my opinion.
I agree:thumbup:

thanks so much for all the thoughtful responses! to answer Di's question, one card will suffice. Most people give their kids one present each day. My parents didn't and neither do I for DS. He does get a few gifts though.

OK, so I'll be sending about 60 "season's greetings" and 40 Hanukah cards, pretty much because that's what I found at the store. Interestly, the Hanukah cards don't say "happy Hanukah" but they do have a menorah. When I was addressing one to my Hindu friend, I thought I wonder if she will think its a Diwali card? LOL

So, happy holidays, whatever they are for you :)

Related to Sending Hanukah Cards: Etiquette for Non-Celebrants | Tips & FAQs

1. Can I send a Hanukkah card to someone who is not Jewish?

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to send a Hanukkah card to someone who is not Jewish. It is a thoughtful gesture to acknowledge and celebrate their holiday.

2. What is the appropriate greeting to use in a Hanukkah card?

The most common greeting to use in a Hanukkah card is "Happy Hanukkah" or "Hanukkah Sameach" which means "Happy Hanukkah" in Hebrew. You can also use "Chag Sameach" which is a general greeting for any Jewish holiday.

3. Do I need to include a gift in a Hanukkah card?

No, a gift is not necessary when sending a Hanukkah card. However, if you choose to include a gift, it is recommended to give something small and thoughtful, such as a box of chocolates or a gift card.

4. Can I send a Hanukkah card after the holiday has passed?

It is best to send a Hanukkah card before or during the holiday. However, if you miss the holiday, it is still appropriate to send a card and extend your well wishes.

5. Are there any symbols or images that should not be included in a Hanukkah card?

It is important to avoid using religious symbols or images that are specific to other religions, such as Christmas trees or Santa Claus. Stick to traditional Hanukkah symbols like the menorah, dreidel, or Star of David.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• gailz2
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
WLMcCoy
  • NinaPChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
WLMcCoy
  • akrebecca