• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Save Money on Host Packets: Sending Catalogs as "Media

In summary, you can save money by sending your host packets as "Media" and the cost is almost half of 1st class.
Shelly Flanagan
Gold Member
Did you know that when you are sending host packets if they contain catalogs you can send them as "Media" and the cost is almost half of 1st class? It may take one or two days longer to get to them, but it is a very good money saver. My cousin is a postmaster and hooked me up. Wish she would have done so sooner, I have been sending 1st class for more than a year.

Uh, yeah, except that extra "1-2 days" turns into a couple of weeks. I've sent them media a couple of times and have regretted it.

I was doing this is well. The postmaster asked me what was in there and I said, catalogs. She stamped with the media stamp and processed it. I figured..."cool"! Well, on the other end the mail system decided to determine that my packet didn't qualify as "media mail" and it arrived at the post office of my hostess's town and she had to "pay $$" for the amount owed because they said it couldn't go as media mail...this happened more than 1 time to me. I won't send it that way any more

Actually you cannot send catalogs via Media Mail, at least not here in Oregon. I just got "caught" by the postmaster and my host had to be pay for the extra mailing charge in order to receive it. According to The US Post Master:

Media Mail® service is a cost efficient way to mail books, sound recordings, recorded video tapes, printed music, and recorded computer-readable media (such as CDs, DVDs, and diskettes). Media Mail can not contain advertising except for incidental announcements of books.

Since our catalogs contain advertising, because everything is for sale, we cannot mail it media rate.

I did mail Media Rate for years and did not know I was breaking the rules.

According to my post office - It is only media mail if it's ONLY catalogs. If you put order forms, flyers, a letter or any other communication in there it is no longer considered media mail (and that they have the right to open and inspect it to see. She also told me that Media Mail is "Space Available" and is not a scheduled delivery.

The package that was opened and inspected by the Post Office had ONYLY catalogs in it. I was sending additional catalogs to my host. I was told that since it is advertising material, ie, items for sale, it cannot be sent Media Mail.

My post office won't let me send catalogs Media Mail, so I got to the postal annex place and they will do the media mail for me. Still cheaper than first class and have never had a problem.

My post office (Ohio) also stated that catalogs are not permitted to be sent media mail because of the advertising. I have a feeling that some of the workers know the rules and some don't. I used media mail for a long time for catalogs before they finally told me that it wasn't allowed.

1PamperedMommy said:
My post office (Ohio) also stated that catalogs are not permitted to be sent media mail because of the advertising. I have a feeling that some of the workers know the rules and some don't. I used media mail for a long time for catalogs before they finally told me that it wasn't allowed.

Same thing for me in NC. First they said if there were invitations in the package it couldn't be sent media (even if they were blank), then it was catalogs can't go that way because we have the prices in there. I used media mail for a long time before they started being more strict. I would not do it if I were you. Just because one PO lets it slip by it doesn't mean another won't check and then make someone pay. AND, as someone said, it can take a lot longer to get to the host.

Our catalogs and the Recipe calendar do NOT qualify as media mail. You can try it and run the risk, but be prepared for angry hostesses and be ready to reimburse them if they must pay to get their packets.

Ditto for me in rural Kansas -- cannot send them media mail. :( Wish we could!

Flat rate of $4.95, 4 catalogs, Host letter, OOFs, Invites, recipes and arrives in 1-2 days. I always know what my cost will be and host received them quickly. :sing:

My hubs is a Postman. I send out packets Priority Mail. All you can stuff in the envelope for 4.95. Here, in ABQ/Rio, the packets normally get there the next day!

ChefCKHall said:
My hubs is a Postman. I send out packets Priority Mail. All you can stuff in the envelope for 4.95. Here, in ABQ/Rio, the packets normally get there the next day!

My post office is limiting this now too....They don't go by the 'If it fits it ships" rule. The envelope must still be flat and not bulging and it can't be more than a certain thickness.

Also remember that you can get it even cheaper if you go to the usps.com website. I think it's $4.75 for the flat rate envelope plus that comes with free delivery confirmation. I print the label on regular white paper and then use clear packing tape on all 4 sides of it on the envelope. Love doing it this way!!

I've been doing media mail for years & haven't EVER had a problem & my packets get there w/in a few days....you'd think being from NY they'd be WORSE....I'm not saying a word b/c it saves a TON of $$

pamperedlinda said:
My post office is limiting this now too....They don't go by the 'If it fits it ships" rule. The envelope must still be flat and not bulging and it can't be more than a certain thickness.

if it's bulging- then it doesn't fit. ;)

esavvymom said:

True that! And, if you know my husband....he breaks no rules!

esavvymom said:

Oh, I agree. But I have seen people in the USPS get angry b/c they were able to close and seal the envelope.

My main concern with Media Mail is the fact it could take 7-10 days to arrive...most often it doesn't, but I know it's a greater risk. I just send first class and know my stuff arrives in 2 days usually :)

Thanks for the info ladies. I will def not be using this form of mailing.

1. How can I save money on host packets by sending catalogs as "media"?

The best way to save money on host packets is by utilizing the "media" option for sending catalogs. Instead of physically mailing out catalogs to your hosts, you can simply email them a digital version. This eliminates the cost of printing and postage, which can add up quickly.

2. Do I need any special software to send catalogs as "media"?

No, you do not need any special software to send catalogs as "media." You can easily convert your catalog into a digital format, such as a PDF, and attach it to an email to send to your host.

3. Will my host still receive the same benefits if I send catalogs as "media"?

Yes, your host will still receive the same benefits whether you send physical catalogs or digital ones. They will still have access to all the products and can earn rewards based on their party sales.

4. Can I personalize the digital catalogs I send to my host?

Yes, you can personalize the digital catalogs by adding your own branding, contact information, and any special offers or promotions. This makes it more personal for your host and can help increase their engagement with the catalog.

5. Are there any other benefits to sending catalogs as "media"?

Aside from saving money on host packets, sending catalogs as "media" also reduces your carbon footprint by eliminating the need for paper and shipping materials. It also allows for easier tracking and organization of host information and orders, as everything is stored digitally.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • ampirolli
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
ampirolli
  • ms_twana