• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Holding the Host Packet Hostage

In summary, Linda advises using a combination of sending an invitation list and a host packet, as well as giving a deadline for returning the list. She has had good success with this approach, and feels that it is more fun for the hosts as well.
Becca_in_MD
Gold Member
I started sending invites for my host about a year ago. It seemed to help reduce cancellations. Not sure that it's helped sales/attendance, but I'm sticking with it. Since some of you don't send/give a host packet until you get an invite list, I'm going to try that approach. I had half of my Aug. bookings (4) postpone. I hadn't gotten invite lists from any of them. Most are legitimate reasons for postponing but I wish I had known earlier. Now I have to send new F/W catalogs to these same people. I'm out the initial biz supplies and postage and will not send them more materials until I feel they're committed.

Any suggestions/thoughts on how this has worked for you? What wording do you use? I'm saying something along the lines of "I can't hold your show date for you unless I have your invitation list or see that you've done e-vites." And how far out is your deadline for them getting the list back to you? I probably should have made them get the list back to me within a few days, but I've already sent out the e-mails. It won't help me rebook their date if I don't find out until 2 weeks before their show that they need to postpone/cancel.

OK, my thoughts are scattered. Still working through this twist to host coaching...

Thanks everyone!!

I know I'm newer to this... but for me it seems like too much work for the host, if I follow ALL of the steps that PC suggests. I approach it with the premise that "Hosting a show is fun and EASY!" By easy, it just means inviting people and buying a few snacks, maybe sprucing up the house a bit. I know as a past guest and host of DS shows, if it gets too complicated and demanding, I don't want to do it. So I treat people the way I would want to be treated.

I ask the host to invite 30-40 people because only about half will be able to actually come, and leave it at that. I put a letter in my host packets with important info. Then I send her a few emails to my website followed by a phone call checking on her progress a few days before the party. If it's simple... to me, it's more fun. I've had decent turn outs, so I can't complain so far.

Maybe when you book a party give them some sort of incentive to keep the original date?

I do not give a host packet until I have a guest list and I just tell them that. I simply state "the sooner I receive your guest list, the sooner you will receive your catalogs". I never get a second thought about from the hosts. If it's getting to be about 2 weeks before the show, i remind them about the list and the show, etc.

I basically do what Steph does - I send them a recipe selection sheet, an address form and a self addressed, stamped envelope. There is a deadline date on the mailing and I have had people bring them to my door - fearing they would miss the dealine and not get their Host packet. ;)

otisbg said:
I basically do what Steph does - I send them a recipe selection sheet, an address form and a self addressed, stamped envelope. There is a deadline date on the mailing and I have had people bring them to my door - fearing they would miss the dealine and not get their Host packet. ;)

Linda, can you provide a copy of the mailing where you include a deadline date?

This year I had 2 hosts who actually cancelled and did NOT reschedule after they gave me their lists and I sent their invites...I had been debating about sending them an invoice for the postage wasted, but when I totalled it up, it came to about $3 for each of them and I didnt feel it was going to be worth it to send something out. But I still spent time and ink and paper, etc.

I do the same thing as Steph. At the party I give them the show planning guide, a catalog and a SASE with a guest list attached. I tell them that they need to give that back to me as soon as possible but I won't send their host packet until I get their guest list. It has helped my business so much!!

I give the packets at the show b/c the cost of what I lose in the packet if the show doesn't hold is lss than the postage I spend and the added trip to the PO. The only time I feel 'burned' is when its the change of season and I have to send twice.

Melissa78 said:
I give the packets at the show b/c the cost of what I lose in the packet if the show doesn't hold is lss than the postage I spend and the added trip to the PO. The only time I feel 'burned' is when its the change of season and I have to send twice.

The cost isn't the biggest reason for me. I never had time to make sure I had the "proper" packets ready before my shows and then when I did get them ready including host specials, guest specials and outside order forms, I would end up throwing away so many sheets from not getting enough shows booked. To me the extra cost of shipping is worth it compared to what I'm giving up in place of it.

wadesgirl said:
The cost isn't the biggest reason for me. I never had time to make sure I had the "proper" packets ready before my shows and then when I did get them ready including host specials, guest specials and outside order forms, I would end up throwing away so many sheets from not getting enough shows booked. To me the extra cost of shipping is worth it compared to what I'm giving up in place of it.

To find time I multitask and make a boat load of packets at once for a season. In one hour show I can have the season done. I make them all generic so that they have all duplicatable info in them. The only thing that is not included are outside order forms and the host special. I have an expandable file folder in my bag with monthly receipts and host specials in them. I print enough to have 4 for each month (if that is my goal). IF i wanted to save more money - go with generic order forms. THere are great ones available on here. They don't show the guest special. Then all that is left is to include a host special flyer and/or guest flyer (since they are not on the generic OOFs).

We all find what works best for us. I'm all about saving time as my time is very valuable and crunched.

I'm actually sitting down to do this tonight!! I did go to a Signature Home Sales party where the consultant wouldn't give the host packet until she got the guest list and have thought about implementing that as well!

wadesgirl said:
I use a generic OOF - so it's not dated. I can use it for all of my host packets and never have to throw them away. I don't put the Host/Guest Specials in the packets - I email it to my host after she books, along with the guest address form from HO that can be filled in online and emailed back to me.My host packets have 2 catalogs, 10 postcard invites, 6 OOF's, an address list form w/ a cover letter, and 50 Guests in 5 Minutes flyer. That's it. Simple, but it works very well.Like Melissa - I'd rather be out the $2 of the packet, rather than pay the $5 to mail it later. Plus, that's just more work for me.

ChefBeckyD said:
I use a generic OOF - so it's not dated. I can use it for all of my host packets and never have to throw them away. I don't put the Host/Guest Specials in the packets - I email it to my host after she books, along with the guest address form from HO that can be filled in online and emailed back to me.

My host packets have 2 catalogs, 10 postcard invites, 6 OOF's, an address list form w/ a cover letter, and 50 Guests in 5 Minutes flyer. That's it. Simple, but it works very well.

I seem to run into a lot of hosts who do not have email or internet access! That's about the only reason why I have not converted to doing something like this.

wadesgirl said:
I seem to run into a lot of hosts who do not have email or internet access! That's about the only reason why I have not converted to doing something like this.

Simple fix! Its only one sheet of paper to include the host special and if you want print the guest special on the backside. :D I also include the 50 invites in 5min and the hosts that don't do email, send it on paper via snail mail. Easy peasey!

Becky I think our packets are near identical minus I have been using the month-specific OOF. Great minds think alike. :thumbup:

Melissa78 said:
Simple fix! Its only one sheet of paper to include the host special and if you want print the guest special on the backside. :D I also include the 50 invites in 5min and the hosts that don't do email, send it on paper via snail mail. Easy peasey!

Becky I think our packets are near identical minus I have been using the month-specific OOF. Great minds think alike. :thumbup:

Yep - exactly what I do! If they don't have email I mail the host/guest special to them. I use Kam's which is both on the same sheet. I just had a lady who booked for Nov like that....but I wouldn't have had the host/guest special for her anyway, because we don't know it yet.

Melissa - I wish that I could say that I do that because I have a great mind. I actually do it because I'm lazy, and always looking for the very easiest way to do everything. :D

1. What does "Holding the Host Packet Hostage" mean?

"Holding the Host Packet Hostage" is a fun and effective way to incentivize your host to gather more orders and increase their party sales. It involves holding onto the host's party packet until a certain sales goal is met.

2. How does "Holding the Host Packet Hostage" benefit the host?

By holding onto the host packet until a sales goal is reached, the host is motivated to reach that goal in order to receive their free products and rewards. This can result in higher party sales and more benefits for the host.

3. Can I still use "Holding the Host Packet Hostage" if my party is virtual?

Absolutely! "Holding the Host Packet Hostage" can be adapted for virtual parties by asking the host to share their party link with friends and family. Once the sales goal is met, the host can receive their rewards and the party can be closed.

4. How do I determine the sales goal for "Holding the Host Packet Hostage"?

The sales goal for "Holding the Host Packet Hostage" should be tailored to each individual party and host. Consider the average party sales, the host's goals and expectations, and any current promotions or discounts to determine a realistic sales goal.

5. Are there any other benefits to using "Holding the Host Packet Hostage"?

In addition to motivating the host to reach their sales goal, "Holding the Host Packet Hostage" can also create a sense of urgency and excitement among party guests. It can also increase the chances of future bookings and host referrals.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Becca_in_MD
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Nanisu
  • pkd09
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
pkd09
  • pkd09