• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Dealing with Rude Customers at a Farmer's Market Booth Common?

In summary, the conversation is about the frustration of dealing with customers who believe that all products from Pampered Chef have a lifetime guarantee. The consultant clarifies that this is not true and that only certain products have a lifetime guarantee. Other consultants share their experiences and suggest ways to handle these situations.
DessertDivaFL
Gold Member
Hello, it has been a while since I posted here but I just needed to vent some frustration.

I have been doing a weekly booth at our local farmer's market since mid-October. This is my first time doing it as in previous years it was another consultant.

Every Saturday I get at least one person who comes up to my booth and says, "My <product> broke. I get another one because they all have lifetime guarantees, right?" When I explain that isn't true and which products do have the lifetime guarantee they ALL say, "That's not what I was told."

Holy cow! Who has been telling them this??? I said that other direct sales companies have lifetime guarantees but their high prices reflect that. You wouldn't believe how many ladies think the Mini-Serving Spatula has a lifetime guarantee.

Is it me or are they crazy? Did Pampered Chef ever offer lifetime guarantee on everything?

Thanks for letting me rant! You guys rock!

I think we all get mixed up and forget sometimes. They just hear lifetime guarantee for some items and think it applies to all of our wonderful items. You just need to clarify kindly and they will accept. Who offers a lifetime guarantee on am inexpensive item like that? It would cost more to mail back than it is almost worth. I don't mean quality cheap as that is one of my favorite items , I mean price wise.

I'm so sorry. It's something I've dealt with over and over. I usually assume people have us mixed up with other companies, but I've heard of consultants who mistakenly tell their customers that PC has a lifetime warranty.

I was looking through some older catalogs the other day and the warranties were not always printed as clearly as they are now. I really had to look to find some of them and others were not listed at all. I am so glad they went to the dot system where we can easily find them when needed.

It's not you it happens to us all..... How people think that EVERYTHING has a lifetime garentee is unbeliveable. If that where the case then all kitchens should only have PC procucts and nothing else . The best is when they bring the broken products to parties and expect you to return it for them ........

Oh No ...........I say you hold the products and I will call you with the Ref # so you can send it back I almost have to lie and say PC would rather you send it back not me or they will think it's not for a customer

They are actually showing concern, in a twisted funky way. Bottom line: they CARE about PC - take advantage of it!

Hand them a replacement parts order form and tell them to send the broken product with their sales receipt to the address on the form, if it's within the guarantee period listed on the receipt. (98% of the time, they back off with 'oh, it's way beyond the guarantee period). Or, that they don't have the receipt, don't know the consultant, don't remember the host, yadda yadda yadda.

Then step them up to put their money where their big mouth is... remember, they are the ones who brought it up! So did you want to replace it for full price, for half price, or for free?

Some consultants knock off shipping or 10% on replacement items for good customers.

Point out to them that there is no shipping cost on the replacement part orders, too.

This approach puts you in charge (of your business) and the customer's response. The best thing is to have those replacement parts forms printed and ready to give to them - makes them responsible for their own situation, and gets you out of the mail-n-more business...

Scott is SO RIGHT here!! Take advantage or if it concerns you to deal with them, it is very easy to give them two pieces of info, the Home Office's 800 number and the advice that they should contact the host or consultant from the party they attended as it will be much easier and faster for them to help. I sometimes have NO PROBLEM passing the buck back if it lets me avoid getting a major headache or having to do something that costs me money.

Hey Danielle--welcome back! No, you aren't crazy. I had one lady tell me that her kitchen spritzer no longer worked, and she wanted me to exchange it for her. She got it about 8 years ago!!!

People always think we have a lifetime guarantee on everything. I think they get that idea from Tupperware--one of the earliest home party companies--who has that lifetime guarantee. And that's why they bring broken products to parties. People assume (incorrectly) that all direct market companies are the same. Or, they are busy gabbing when we are demonstrating our cutlery or cookware, and they only hear the words "lifetime guarantee" and that's the only info that sticks with them. Scott has some good advice--take notes!

PamperedchefDaly said:
Hey Danielle--welcome back! No, you aren't crazy. I had one lady tell me that her kitchen spritzer no longer worked, and she wanted me to exchange it for her. She got it about 8 years ago!!!

People always think we have a lifetime guarantee on everything. I think they get that idea from Tupperware--one of the earliest home party companies--who has that lifetime guarantee. And that's why they bring broken products to parties. People assume (incorrectly) that all direct market companies are the same. Or, they are busy gabbing when we are demonstrating our cutlery or cookware, and they only hear the words "lifetime guarantee" and that's the only info that sticks with them. Scott has some good advice--take notes!

Which is really quite funny - especially to anyone who's ever had to try to replace something with Tupperware! If they aren't changing the style or color, they say it's up to the individual consultant, etc. (Read the stories on another thread about it....)

If I were more creative I would come up with a flyer to hand these customers with guarantee information and PC contact info. Just general stuff. Any ideas?

Most of the information you'd need is on the back of our receipts.

Thanks everyone for your supportive words and advice. I will try these ideas this Saturday at my booth. I have a new recruit with me so I think this will be good for both of us. Thanks again!

DessertDivaFL said:
Hello, it has been a while since I posted here but I just needed to vent some frustration.

I have been doing a weekly booth at our local farmer's market since mid-October. This is my first time doing it as in previous years it was another consultant.

!

So I know this is off topic but has this been a sucessful and worthwhile thing to have a booth at the farmers market and what all do u do there? Do you do a demonstration or just anwser question?

1. How should I handle a customer who is being rude or disrespectful at my Pampered Chef booth?

First and foremost, it's important to remain calm and professional. Take a deep breath and try to understand where the customer is coming from. If possible, politely ask the customer what their issue is and listen to their concerns. If the customer continues to be rude, it's best to politely excuse yourself and let them know that you are there to help them but will not tolerate disrespectful behavior.

2. What if a customer is making negative comments about the products or the company?

It's important to remember that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If a customer is making negative comments, try to address their concerns in a positive and professional manner. You can also offer to show them more information about the products or the company to help change their perspective.

3. How do I handle a customer who is being aggressive or confrontational?

If a customer is being aggressive or confrontational, it's important to prioritize your safety. Politely excuse yourself and seek assistance from a colleague or event staff if necessary. It's important to never engage in an argument or physical confrontation with a customer.

4. What if a customer is unsatisfied with a product or service?

If a customer expresses dissatisfaction with a product or service, it's important to listen to their concerns and try to find a solution. Offer to exchange the product or provide a refund if necessary. You can also offer to connect the customer with a customer service representative for further assistance.

5. How can I prevent rude customers at my booth?

While it's impossible to completely prevent rude customers, there are some steps you can take to minimize the chances of encountering them. This includes setting clear boundaries and expectations for behavior at your booth, having a positive attitude and approach, and providing exceptional customer service. Remember to always treat customers with respect and kindness, even if they are being difficult.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • jj16
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • jj16
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies