• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant - "You Should've Brought More Products!"

In summary, the conversation was about a successful show with $700 in sales and 1 booking, but the host's sister complained that there weren't enough products on display. The consultant explains that she brought a lot of products, but it's impossible to bring everything and they rely on guest testimonials. They also discuss how some hosts expect consultants to bring everything and how it's better to ask the host beforehand if there's a specific product they want to see.
leftymac
So, I had a show on Friday and there were about 15 very rowdy people there. No one would listen to me during my demo. I'm not ranting about that part though because I've come to expect it, especially on Friday night shows where alcohol is served. I don't care if they listen to me so long as they buy. It ended up being $700 in sales and 1 booking, so it's successful according to me.I'm talking to the host today, and she told me "My sister went to a PC party years ago and she said that considering the amount of people that were there, you should've brought more products to display, because she ended up telling people about a bunch of other products."My first thought was, "Seriously?!?" Here's what I brought:-Entire new consultant kit, on display in the dining room where the catalogs were
-Every cookbook
-Deep Covered Baker
-RUFTH Trivet
-Citrus Press
-Apple Wedger
-TTA chock full o' tools
-Kitchen Spritzer
-Salad Chopper
-Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls
-Every spice and sauce
-Bamboo platters
-Bamboo snack bowls
-2 cup prep bowl setWhat I wanted my response to be was, "No one was even listening to me, and most people weren't even looking at the products in the dining room. Plus, you never confirmed to me how many people would be there until I got there." But instead, my response was, "Well, I can see why people would think that But, if you look at the amount of products that I brought -- you saw that I brought quite a bit. And, I'm just one person and can only carry so much. I can't bring the entire catalog. So, we rely on guests' testimony to help paint a picture of the products that aren't there. Also, no matter what I bring, there's always going to be something that someone wants to see that I don't have with me." The host was fine with this, but the whole comment just rubbed me the wrong way.Seriously..I had something from every line there (except a Dots piece) and they always want more. Ugh.

Sorry..but I am kind of laughing to myself right here..WOW..that is a lot of stuff that you took..you are right no matter what you take they will always want to see more.

So why nothing from the Dot line? <ducking and covering>

I wonder if she would have said that if she helped you bring the stuff in from the car or back out! *lol* Doubtful. (And no, I don't typically let any host help me with my bags..but I've had a couple just do it anyway, or send their husband's to help :).)

I have never heard that from any of my hosts! (Yeah, right!) I think you found a lady who probably would have found fault with something else and to griped about it. Even if you had brought the entire catalog! I do get those too! You handled that very well though. All you can do is exactly what you did do, deep breath before saying the one thing, then telling her out loud, the other. And great show total! Way to go!

OMG, I hate this comment! I've had hosts say this to me, too (or guests at the party). I always say at my parties "I can't possibly bring the entire catalog - we'd be here all night! But if there is something you really wanted to see, book a show with me and I'll bring it to YOUR show!" :D That shuts them up pretty quick, and sometimes they even book a show b/c of that!

I'm so sorry that happened to you but agree, she was one of those that was just looking to complain. You took alot of stuff! Here I was like you and then I just was awed but this fabulous cooking show demo and discovered that she only takes what she needs to demo?! And of course the specials. That was my Ah Ha moment! As discovered, don't want people to think it's alot of work hauling all this stuff and we should be having fun. So now I "ask" my Host if there is something in particular she might want to see and to please ask her guests when she follows up with them. Works great!!!

Wow, that is way more than I ever bring. I hate when hosts expect you to bring it all. I have almost everything in the catalog--there's no way I'd ever bring it all.I also ask during host coaching if there is an item they want to see up close and personal because I usually just bring the items needed for the recipe. That way I rarely hear the "you didn't bring enough" complaint because I've already addressed it.

I've really scaled back on what I bring too. I also make sure to ask the host several times prior to the show if she or a guest has particular products they'd like me to bring. I tell her otherwise, I just bring a variety.

I've learned to ask b/c I hate the did you bring xxx? Haven't heard it since I started asking. If I don't have a particular product a guest ask to see, I'll say 1st person to find it in the catalog and yell out the pg. # gets a prize. Usually ends it there. Also brings the focus back to you.

I have found that other peoples testamonies about a products sells it more than them actually seeing it in person.
I laughed about the fact that you did not take anything from the Dots collection...I was thinking "that's because they are ugly" No offense to anyone out there that loves them...just my HO! Which makes me wonder, does anyone ever sell any Dots items? I have had 8 shows and not one person has asked about or ordered anything.

flemings99 said:
If I don't have a particular product a guest ask to see, I'll say 1st person to find it in the catalog and yell out the pg. # gets a prize. Usually ends it there. Also brings the focus back to you.

That's great. I can never remember where in the catalog things are, so this will really take the pressure off.

Jennifer E said:
I have found that other peoples testamonies about a products sells it more than them actually seeing it in person.
I laughed about the fact that you did not take anything from the Dots collection...I was thinking "that's because they are ugly" No offense to anyone out there that loves them...just my HO! Which makes me wonder, does anyone ever sell any Dots items? I have had 8 shows and not one person has asked about or ordered anything.

I love the dots stuff, actually. I have bowls and serving platters on display in my china cabinet. I just didn't take any from there b/c I didn't need the serving platter (which is what I usually take).

I don't sell much of it, but I have a few customers who think it's really cute. I just sold 1 dinnerware set the other week, and a few of the trio bowls.

cathyskitchen said:
OMG, I hate this comment! I've had hosts say this to me, too (or guests at the party). I always say at my parties "I can't possibly bring the entire catalog - we'd be here all night! But if there is something you really wanted to see, book a show with me and I'll bring it to YOUR show!" :D That shuts them up pretty quick, and sometimes they even book a show b/c of that!

That's what I say too! I REALLY like the idea of asking the host if she wants to see something in particular and telling her to check with her guests. Awesome!! Stealing it! You handled it very professionally. But thanks for venting because that gave us some great tips!

I send out a full page invitation and after the Join the fun at my Pampered Chef party is the following which is in bold and underlined...Call or e-mail me if you would like to see a certain product! IT DOESN'T STOP SOMEONE asking...did you bring the "xyz"? I really wanted to see it. I just say oh, I am so sorry. On the invitation I invite anyone to call or e-mail me if they want to see a particular product or I would have been happy to have brought it along.

Let the comment roll off your back like water on a duck, Keith. You did a great job.

I find people either love or hate the dots. Haven't found too many that really hate them.

I love the dots too! In fact, I have two dinner sets, the platters, serving bowls, glasses now and martini glasses too! I ask the hosts to let folks know too to let them know if there is something they simply must see! I like the idea though of adding that to the invite. I have a feeling my hosts are not telling their guests. Thanks for that idea! I may never get the "Do you have the ... with you?" question any more!

pampered1224 said:
I like the idea though of adding that to the invite. I have a feeling my hosts are not telling their guests. Thanks for that idea! I may never get the "Do you have the ... with you?" question any more!

You will! People do not freaking read!!!

baychef said:
You will! People do not freaking read!!!

I know! It's very annoying. That's why I have severely limited the amount of info I place in a host packet, because they never read it.

Ooops..I've hijacked my own thread.

I tell people that we have so many products I couldn't possibly bring them all. If there's something you're dying to see I can arrange to show it to you, or I'll be happy to bring it along when I do your party.That's fairly similar to what others have suggested.

cathyskitchen said:

Love this and I plan to use it!

No matter what you cannot please everyone all of the time. I have people disappointed that I don't bring the strangest things. Last party it was the A/P/C/S? It is not even apple season!

My justification for ordering Sample A, each season for the first 3.5 years, was that I wanted to have it to take to parties. I have finally scaled back, and take one of each catagory, and what I need for the recipe. It is so much easier. I like the suggestion about asking the hostess for suggestions of items folks want to see. I also take the monthly specials to entice sales. Trifle bowls did sell well when I made the 7 layer Veggie salad this month. NOTE: I have two of my photos on the Trifle rotating slide show.

1. How can I avoid being told "You Should've Brought More Products!" at a party?

The best way to avoid this is to do some research before the party and get a good idea of how many guests will be attending. Make sure to bring enough products for each guest to have a chance to see and try them.

2. What should I do if I do get told "You Should've Brought More Products!"?

Apologize and offer to take orders from any guests who were not able to purchase what they wanted. This will show that you are committed to providing good customer service and can help make up for any products that may have run out.

3. Is it better to bring too many products or not enough?

It is always better to err on the side of bringing too many products. This way, you can ensure that every guest has a chance to see and try the products and you won't miss out on potential sales.

4. What if I don't have enough products for a large party?

If you know in advance that you will be hosting a large party, it's always a good idea to reach out to your Pampered Chef consultant and see if they can provide you with extra products to borrow for the event. This way, you can ensure that all guests have a chance to see and try the products.

5. How can I make sure I have enough products for a party?

The best way to ensure you have enough products is to keep track of your inventory and order more products as needed. It's also a good idea to have a backup plan in case you run out of a certain product, such as offering to take orders or offering a similar product as an alternative.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • BethanyN
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Products and Tips
Replies