• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant: Son and Future Dil Won't Use Registry

In summary, the conversation revolves around a person's excitement over their son's upcoming wedding and disappointment that the couple did not register for Pampered Chef products. The person mentions their personal experience with wedding registries and how they regretted registering for certain items. They also mention the challenges of getting people to purchase from their Pampered Chef registry and the frustration of family not supporting their business. The conversation also touches on the benefits of having an online registry and the potential for out of town guests to purchase gifts. Ultimately, the person advises the listener to not take offense and to focus on enjoying the wedding planning process.
PamperedchefDaly
Gold Member
ARRGH!!!

My son finally popped the question and is getting married next year. He loves Pampered Chef (has the 12"skillet, food chopper, etc.). I was so excited (besides the fact he's getting married and I love his future bride), that I would be able to have them do their wedding registry with me.

Well! They are registered at Macy*s and Bed Bath & Beyond. I took a peek at their registry--Calphalon 13 piece cookware set :yuck:, stainless whisks, Calphalon bakeware, WOODEN SPOONS, etc.

Their theory--people want to go to a store, print the registry, and buy their stuff. They say that people are not going to order online. :grumpy:

So I bite my tongue. A wise woman once said "The only responsibility of the Mother of the Groom with regard to wedding plans is to 'Shut Up and Show Up.'" But I felt the need to rant anyway.

That's a bummer! I regret more than half of the stuff I registered for at Target and BB&B but was totally glad I had a PC bridal shower.

Throw them A PC Bridal Shower!

I have a PC registry now for my wedding, no one is buying off of it. I am so glad that hopefully over the years of being a consultant I will be able to perfect my kitchen.

Nothing will offend me more than if someone buys me a frying pan from Macy's!:yuck:

:) Some people feel that they need to register at a store. Funny, b/c MOST people probably look it up online even if they do GO to get it. I think that PC screws up by making it so only the products purchased FROM the registry count so people could go crazy and order from the outlet, catalog etc b/c they are "helping" the couple.

I actually gave the Forged Cutlery set to someone for their wedding. They were registered for knives and a block & Macy's so I thought...hmm...unlikely they'll GET all the knives and I can give them ours for a reasonable price (he's practically like a brother to me & my husbands friend). However, I just found out that they are going to get the Macy's ones. Not sure what to do with the PC ones. I told her to give them to her sister (my best friend) or give them back to me and I'd give them something else. Guessing she sold them or something already since she's not sure.

Sorry...didn't mean to make it about me. Just had the conversation today.

So try not to take offense. They may feel like they are asking people to buy from you, which may be ackward to them (easy for family though :)). Have you talked to them about benefits of doing the registry? That out of town guests may like having the option (some actually will purchase a gift online to ship to couple or family member so they don't have it on the plane). Also, LOTS of people prefer online shopping anymore. I suppose it depends on where you live.

Maybe you can politely remind him of the warranty and the customer service he'd get...like he doesn't KNOW you! :) And then just let it go. Enjoy the rest of the wedding planning, etc.And of course, one of your gifts to the couple for their home would be an awesome gift from PC.

I'd be upset too; however, they won't be happy with the Calphalon and will buy from you eventually:)!

I was all lined up to do a Pampered chef bridal shower. The gal that was hosting it had been working with me setting up invitations, etc.. At the last minute they wanted to put that the bride was registered at Target , younkers etc, on my invitations. The mother of the bride made the comment that she didn't want some pampered chef lady monopolizing the shower so I told the friend that maybe we should let the mother do the shower .. I didn't want to confuse people and was I pretty mad over the whole thing anyway.. I did not do the shower and it was probably the best decision at the time..

I have had one person register for the wedding registry and that was my husbands niece and it got one order from there and that was mine.. It was pretty disapointing too..

Good luck with your sons wedding..

I've also learned that throughout the years family cannot be counted on to support your PC business.

leftymac said:
I've also learned that throughout the years family cannot be counted on to support your PC business.

True...very true.:(

my sister-in-law registered with me for her wedding last august and i got 2-3 orders, yet she got more than that...we did do a shower for her too which came to about $300 but still, it was weird and a bummer that she recieved gifts from her registry that I never sold. I don't know where those people went!

Can I just say...2 years ago I got married and was registered at Macy's thinking it was a happy medium between Target and say, Williams Sonoma, as far as kitchen things went. I hate all my kitchen stuff from Macy's! My knives rusted, my whisk rusted and the wire broke and scratched me, my cannisters chipped, my cookware is all discolored....yeah. Granted, I got all the same brand at Macy's, Martha Stewart, but yeah...because it all happened more than 3 monthes after it was bought, there's no hope for any sort or refund or exchange!

robochick84 said:
I have a PC registry now for my wedding, no one is buying off of it. I am so glad that hopefully over the years of being a consultant I will be able to perfect my kitchen.

Nothing will offend me more than if someone buys me a frying pan from Macy's!:yuck:

That's what gift receipts are for! ;) If you get stuff you know you don't want or won't use, take it back & buy what YOU want with the money!!! :D

Nancy,I am so sorry to hear this. You must be annoyed but also hurt. I LOVE my p chef stuff and think they are doing themselves a total disservice.

I agree, Patty, but they are adults and I can't tell them what to do. I can pout, maybe, but that's about all! Maybe they just don't feel comfortable asking people to buy "from Mom". I can respect that. Well, I try to look at the bright side--they will need replacements someday for all the stuff that isn't guaranteed!

Business does not mix with family and friends. Listen to the wise woman and show up....
They will learn by their mistake regarding kitchen tools.

Chef Gilles said:
Business does not mix with family and friends. Listen to the wise woman and show up....
They will learn by their mistake regarding kitchen tools.

Very well put. Thanks, everyone, for your support!

PamperedchefDaly said:
ARRGH!!!

My son finally popped the question and is getting married next year. He loves Pampered Chef (has the 12"skillet, food chopper, etc.). I was so excited (besides the fact he's getting married and I love his future bride), that I would be able to have them do their wedding registry with me.

Well! They are registered at Macy*s and Bed Bath & Beyond. I took a peek at their registry--Calphalon 13 piece cookware set :yuck:, stainless whisks, Calphalon bakeware, WOODEN SPOONS, etc.

Their theory--people want to go to a store, print the registry, and buy their stuff. They say that people are not going to order online. :grumpy:

So I bite my tongue. A wise woman once said "The only responsibility of the Mother of the Groom with regard to wedding plans is to 'Shut Up and Show Up.'" But I felt the need to rant anyway.

Honestly? This is what I have found. Both for our wedding shower, baby shower, and gift lists since. The People I know (all different age groups, all different regions of the country) want to go to a store and pick something out. By and large they don't want to order online. The gifts I have listed that have not been available in B&M sources just don't get bought.

I feel for you! But ain't it just like the "kids" not to listen to mother? I would just take it as is and remember that you did at least bring it up. That is all you can do. Statistics show that only about 20% of shoppers will arbitrarily buy unknown products or from unknown product lines, on-line. That means of course that 80% of people are only buying things on-line if they are already familiar with the product they are seeking. If they have had a chance to see it in person, feel it and check it out in person, they will usually buy it on-line. So... "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink!" You put it out there so...

My friend had her registry through me, and her registry was wiped out! She also did register at BBB and Crate and Barrel. I did make some suggestions to her about what to register for as I was married last year and already threw out my set of 4 spatulas (they were wooden handles and got all moldy inside). I told her, it's her registry, she can register for whatever the heck she wants where ever she wants, I just wanted to steer her towards quality items.

I will say, I got a calphalon grill pan and HATE it!!!!! Hate it with a passion. I told MH to start saving pennies because I'm going to get the PC grill pan when we can. He loves the fact that we can fry an egg on our Pans (we bought the 12 peice Executive set has a half price combo before I became a consultant) without oil. He wants to try to grill an egg when we get the grill pan (MEN!).

So while as the mother of the groom you should "shut up and show up" as you put it, at least try to steer them into getting quality items on their registry rather than crappy items. They're going to register for they want to, they're going to be PO'd at the items that they get because they "should have registered for XXX with mom instead" because we don't listen to mom....we never will, even though mom does know best (and every child does know this!!). I can just offer you a ((hug)) and tell you to buy a smashing dress for the wedding so you look fantabulous on the day of their wedding!!!!

I am going to do a Bridal Shower for a friend.....is is possible to have her create her registry...bring it to the shower, have people "order" at the shower and I can just go in to the registry and do the orders off of there? Would that work?

What is the purpose of a registry for a wedding or baby shower?

A registry is a list of items that the couple or parents-to-be have chosen as gifts they would like to receive for their special occasion. It helps guests to know what the couple or parents need or want, and avoids duplicate gifts.

Why is it important to use a registry for gifts?

Using a registry ensures that the couple or parents receive gifts that they will actually use and appreciate. It also makes it easier for guests to choose a gift and helps to avoid the awkwardness of giving duplicate or unwanted gifts.

What if the couple or parents do not have a registry?

If the couple or parents do not have a registry, it is still recommended to ask them if there is anything specific they would like or need. If not, a thoughtful and practical gift that aligns with their interests or lifestyle would also be appreciated.

Why might a couple or parents choose not to use a registry?

Some couples or parents may choose not to use a registry because they do not want to limit the gift options for their guests or they may prefer to receive cash gifts instead. Others may simply not have the time or desire to create a registry.

What can I do if I want to give a gift that is not on the registry?

If you want to give a gift that is not on the registry, it is always a good idea to check with the couple or parents first to make sure it is something they would like or need. If they do not have a registry, you can also consider giving a gift card or a monetary gift that they can use towards something they need.

Back