• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant- Had a Show 15 People, No Orders???

In summary, the conversation is discussing a disappointing Pampered Chef (PC) party that took place in a Spanish ethinic background. The host had about 12-15 people attend, but no orders were placed despite some interest. The conversation brings up the idea that the traditional Hispanic mentality may have played a role in the lack of orders, as this culture may not understand the value of PC products or the concept of home parties. Some suggest that host coaching or a lack of trust within the culture could also be contributing factors. A Hispanic consultant also chimes in, stating that the Hispanic market is actually a potential goldmine for PC, as they value family, food, and large gatherings. Overall, it is unclear why the party did not result
nancycookspc
Gold Member
WHAT???

Are you kidding me-

I am at a loss for words-

Host had about 12-15 people there- everyone ate, my food, hosts food and left.... NO orders a few were interested in ordering but cannot get a hold of them.

Even the host that this show was booked off of.

??????

THis was a Spanish ethic background, well off-
there were many that could afford it.
I do not get it ...
Any insite?

I did explain the order thing and such-

its just plain weird.
I feel bad for my host-

She sees her neighbors and they say that they will order
but have not! I even made calls??

I have done PC for 9 yrs and NEVER had this situation...

Just curious here, how familiar are you with the traditional hispanic mentality? I am anglo (but declared an 'honorary' mexican but close friends and inlaws ;) )Did you know your audience ahead of time. If not that might have helped a lot in the way you themed your presentation.

The one bilingual person on my team says that Spanish speakers are reluctant about PC b/c they think they can get the same item at Wal-Mart and pay a lot less. They don't understand the value of a quality product. Also, the home party idea is not as prevalent in their culture.

I'm sure you'll get some good responses on here from other folks with better insight. So sorry this had to happen to you.

Becca_in_MD said:
The one bilingual person on my team says that Spanish speakers are reluctant about PC b/c they think they can get the same item at Wal-Mart and pay a lot less. They don't understand the value of a quality product. Also, the home party idea is not as prevalent in their culture.

I'm sure you'll get some good responses on here from other folks with better insight. So sorry this had to happen to you.

I should have mentioned this as well.

Sorry

Becca_in_MD said:

Yep. In their culture, when you pay for something, you receive it right then. They are not used to ordering - there is a huge trust issue within this culture.
Sorry you had that experience!! I was surprised to see PC put so much effort into the hispanic culture for as long as they did...it's a very, very hard group to break in to.

It was funny-

1st show- was both spanish & english-
this spanish lady who spoke very bad english booked a show-
it was ok. Then there was another booking, to a bilingual spanish gal- again was ok show, then there was this show-

Maybe its because I am not one of them? I hate to say that but maybe. They realize the quality-

But even so there were her neighbors that are english been to many PC & has Pc stuff-

I just can't understand it.

and yes we focused on knives & cookware-

It could also boil down to host coaching. Did the host tell the guests "you don't have to buy anything, just come and have fun!" or "You don't have to buy anything I just need bodies in the chairs!"??? If so, there's your main reason.

But I agree, the hispanic community can be a bit reserved with who they trust.

Regardless of race, you'll find the groups who are just penny pinchers too. One of my recruits did her kick off party and all her guests waited until I left & then asked her if she was going to give them her employee discount, because that's what the last consultant in the area used to do. None of them wanted to pay full price. They all wanted to help her, but at a cheaper rate. :(

Alright....I'm a Hispanic and boy am I glad PC worked hard to break into the market....it's an open goldmine...Hispanics are big into family, food and large get togethers...I am not offended, just wanted to give some background before adding my 2 cents...now remember, this is just my opinion here and with the intention of being helpful....

I doubt it highly that it's because "you aren't one of them". Here's some basic generalizations....they are not true of every Hispanic, just as many ideas are not true of non-Hispanics...we're all different, regardless of ethnicity, but there are cultural nuances that differ and then many that are similar.

In general, you'll find....

We adopt all nations into our families...many of my friends call my mom "mom". We welcome you into our fold, so long as you show an interest to join.

There is definitely a trust issue....they don't know you....how do they know they can give you their money and that you'll produce a product? Here's where connecting and developing a connection with the guests will help.

Many hispanics familiar with direct sales are used to not having to pay until the item comes in. Much of the Hispanic market is just now learning about PC. Most have had an experience where the ds consultant would order, and collect upon delivery. This is where it's important that during your host coaching you explain to your host to let guests know that orders and money are due by show date...it'll be pushed back a few days, which is why you use show date as closing date so that you can close a few days later. At the show, you should also explain that you can't wait to share all the great tools with them, and that money is due when show is submitted.

Many are also not aware that they should order then and there...they like to take catalogs home...browse, discuss with spouse and eventually get the order in. PC says the sale doesn't happen until after the 4th or 5th ctc....add a couple more for Hispanics. lol

Some will avoid that call because they don't want to have to say no. But may change their minds and actually order because of your persistence. Course, you may decide it just isn't worth it. Also, be conscientious about your approach in your voicemails...do you sound exasperated? Are you making them feel bad that they haven't yet ordered? They know you want the sale and expect your call upon call upon call as a natural part of your job.

Sometimes, a sense of urgency and how it helps them or their friend will help. E.g: "Jane is super excited about this month's special and so I want to be sure to get it in on time for her to still be eligible. Please give Jane or I your order by such and such date". Or, I know you were loving the X, and I want to make sure you get it before the price goes up on March 1st. If you're providing an extra service or looking out for them, the appreciation goes a long way.

Many do get sticker shock, but will pay the big bucks if you are able to show them the value and focus how this will help them FOR the family. Most don't care as much about making it easier for themselves as much as how it will improve FAMILY LIFE and provide an improvement for EVERYONE.

Many women are service oriented and are willing to put themselves and their needs aside for the good of others. When you explain the "I'm too broke to buy cheap" concept, they'll get it. Show them why they are smarter to purchase our goods for 10 dollars more than getting it at walmart. Bring up that elephant in the room and discuss the cost. Show them why they should release their funds. =)

Be sure to "give extras"....freebies are huge...we want to feel like we got the biggest bang for our buck. Here's where you explain that if they order TODAY, you'll toss in X for any $60 order...hence saving them X. (I'm not suggesting you add a freebie, just showing you how to present the monthly guest special).

Also, if you do too good a job explaining the host rewards, many will opt to NOT buy and book a show instead....again, bigger bang for their buck. =)

I agree...breaking into the hispanic market is tougher, but only because it's new. And once you've connected, they are yours for life. They will promote you and your biz to everyone...they will send biz your way...they will cheer and help you reach your goals. I have many hosts who have 200-300 shows and they're ecstatic....and from each show, I get 4-6 new shows...and the original hosts have 2-3 shows a year....so yes, they're small by national standards individually...but the accumulated, residual and future biz....totally worth it to me.

Incidentally, the only host I've had with nothing to submit? Only guest who has stiffed me with a bad check? Non-hispanics. ;) It happens to us all and is part of the biz.

BTW Nancy, I am sorry that happened....I'd be more than annoyed! What's the host say? Are there going to be orders?

Last edited:
Sheila...you and I were typing at the same time! lol

Actually, I started & then did an hour long phone call before I came back to the computer & hit submit! LOL

Just saying I have an anglo customer who is the same way .... she has HUGE trust issues and will not pay for an item until she gets it. Which leaves me fronting the money. Thing is, though, she always seems to call when i am desparate for sales. So it's either go ahead and front the money, lose my career sales or buy other stuff I really don't need just to avoid doing so .... so at least with her, I figure I'll get my money back.

thanks Jolie - for your insight - I havent come across this, but I feel we should be explaining things that way at ask of our shows anyway.I always talk about warranty as well. Its a huge seller and ppl understand a higher cost when they have that guarantee

Laurie -
Thank you SO very much for your great input-

I believe you are 100% correct! I have been in the biz- for 9 yrs- just about been involved in every ethnic group- and it is hard to break into. But Once you are there- they stick w/ you
I moved my biz 3 yrs ago from NJ to VA and just a few weeks a go I had one of my very good Hispanic hosts call and want a show- her last show was 5 yrs ago with me!

I am doing a show this w/e for her back in NJ!
( trying to recruit her as well!)

Back to the show with no sales I think the host has a hard time asking for the order. She'll mention oh you can place it on line and nice weather we are having ...LOL

The host & I both know that there were a few people that wanted to order- so I offered to follow up again-
which I will.

Again I truly appreciate your info and will learn from it.

JOLIE.... Thank you for your input. I have been trying to break into the hispanic community where I live, have had a bit of success, but my last show I felt like I was simply the caterer. I did get a booking so will use your advice to better approach the crowd.

pchockeymom said:
JOLIE.... Thank you for your input. I have been trying to break into the hispanic community where I live, have had a bit of success, but my last show I felt like I was simply the caterer. I did get a booking so will use your advice to better approach the crowd.

LOL- that was me too!!! were in Va are you?

nancycookspc said:
LOL- that was me too!!! were in Va are you?

Winchester, how bout you?

Amissville - yeah middle of nowhere LOL

15 min west of warrenton

Nancy, I am very sorry this happend to you. I am hispanic and even I have a hard time getting into the hispanic market. I've been doing PC for almost 4 years and I had had only 3 shows in this group. On one of the shows there were like 15 to 20 people, but it was mostly couples and the cousin, the aunt, all family and the show barely made it to the $150. The sales on my second show were good and I think it was because I explained the warranty and also the great quality of our products. I also mentioned that they had 30 days to try our product and that if they were not happy they could give me a call and I'll do a refund. Also explained the diference betwenn buying with us vs. getting at walmart.

One tip I got from a consultant who has great sales and only does show in the hispanic market is that you (consultant) have to tell the guests when is time to start their orders and once you have the orders on your hand that's one you start talking about host specials. Otherwise they will not buy because they know they can get it at a discount at their shows. I haven't try this yet as I haven't had any hispanic shows.

ilovpc said:
One tip I got from a consultant who has great sales and only does show in the hispanic market is that you (consultant) have to tell the guests when is time to start their orders and once you have the orders on your hand that's one you start talking about host specials. Otherwise they will not buy because they know they can get it at a discount at their shows. I haven't try this yet as I haven't had any hispanic shows.
very good idea- I had 1 gal want to book- 1 gal wants to sign but I cannot get either one on the phone !

nancycookspc said:
Amissville - yeah middle of nowhere LOL

15 min west of warrenton

Middle of nowhere indeed! But, you've done 1000 shows so apparently people in the middle of nowhere still eat! And since there's probably no where to go out to eat, they have to have lots of PC products to help out at home!

September 2003. 18 people. maybe 10% spoke English. Everyone laughed had a good time, I went about an hour over the normal party time I hold. No orders. Ahide brought me $699 in orders in about a week. It took her going over the order thing with many of them and all was OK. It happens. Yes, money paid - they want the products. Ahide had to explain how it worked the week after the party to those who did come and what some things were, she had three Spanish translations as there were no separate Spanish catalogs yet, and well, all was fine.

I'm glad it was received in the manner of the original intent, and am happy that it was helpful to some. =)

Dutchess and pchockey mom....I appreciate the thanks. Helps me feel better for venturing out to give my opinion! lol

Nancy - Thanks so much for getting my intent and knowing that I came with helpful input in mind. I figured you had already ventured into many cultures....after 9 years, how could you not! lol I only wanted to reply because I did NOT want you to think that it was because "you weren't one of them". It's frustrating when something like this happens and you can't put your finger on what happened. That's what you get for asking for input! he he j/k

Here's a pleasant end result....wahoo if it ends up like John's!

Last edited:
pchockeymom said:

Sadly this was a problem for me in the beginning. We come from a perspective that if we invite, then we must feed the masses. Better to have too much than shamefully be short.

Initially, I was making double batches - 2 or 3 recipes! I couldn't figure out how to explain that it was an instructive demo and meant for sampling. PLUS, you're expected to hang out and mingle, which added another hour to my routine. Ay ya yay!

Here's what I finally figured out. I validate their need to feed...I explain that I will demo 1 recipe, but the host is more than welcome to supplement with sides, desserts and more. I also point out that I do NOT want the host to go broke paying to feed everyone, so that she needs to pull back on the menu. She appreciates that I'm looking out for her and her budget, and that the PC lady is giving her permission to scale back. Then I mention that since there are many family members and close friends coming, that she can suggest they bring a side or something SHOULD they wish.

Lastly, if they want dessert....well, I need at least 10 individuals there...kids and spouses count as 1. I encourage them to leave the kiddos so that the gals can hang out and take a breather to catch up.

In regards to cutting back on that extra hour? "I wish I could stay...but the hubby is waiting and I don't want him to worry. I want to be able to party another day and so, leave I must." Most understand the spouse worry or not liking for the other to be out late...we joke that we don't want him upset....nevermind that my hubby is non hispanic and not at all the stereo-typical macho man. ;) If it's a day time show? "I'd love to stay but I have another show to do and I don't want to arrive late...she deserves the same attention and fun you had."

Good luck with the upcoming show, and may the info help! Send me a PM with an update? I'm curious to see what happens.

Last edited:
Dear Jolie,

Thanks so much for your insight. I had a show last night with a hispanic host with pretty much the same result that Nancycook had. My hostess did an awesome job and I host coached like crazy just like I do for any other show. We had about 20 attend the show, they seemed interested in all the products but when it came down to ordering, some left with a promise to look at the catalog and only $104 in sales to end the evening. I was stunned and more than disappointed, especially after driving 1 ½ hours in rush hour traffic to an area not close to home. I did however get 3 bookings and have been struggling all day with what went wrong and if I wanted to bother with these future shows for so little potential. After reading your post, I can now relate to some of the questions they were asking about when they would get their products, if they had to place an order tonight, etc. I will absolutely be changing my presentation to better educate both my hosts and guests at future shows. Thanks again for your help!

Glad it was helpful KenjF99. Now you get to host coach for outside orders. Encourage your host to hit up all those who attended and "want" to order. Let her know you don't want them to be upset and miss out on placing their order. Let her know that she's going to easily hit $300 with those orders. And that if she asks everyone who meant to come or haven't had a chance to see the catalog, she'll hit $500. Explain that at $300 she gets more free PLUS anything at 50% off in addition to anything at 60% off. She'll work for those "bonuses". I've had $200 shows end up at $700 with outside orders after the show. The host is more motivated after the show because she hopefully just saw a whole bunch of products demo'd that she wants. Wishing you much success. :)

I am hispanic and live in South Texas. Half of my hostesses are Hispanic and half of them more so than me.
It has nothing to do with your ethnicity or language you speak. Like Jolie said, that is just the way they/we are. :) And like someone mentioned already, maybe the host did say no purchase necessary? I know plenty of people that will show up for food, fun, and a chance to chat.
They often voice their concerns out loud about the same thing being offered at Walmart and mean no offense. Their way is to see and experience before they will believe. Most of my first time customers will buy only about $20 worth of items just so they can say that they made a purchase and then complain about the shipping being so high.
I have to say that I used to be the same way with other DS companies. :/
So please don't take offense, I am sure none was meant.

What is considered a successful Pampered Chef show?

A successful Pampered Chef show is one where the host has at least $200 in sales and earns at least $50 in free products. It is also considered successful if the host books future shows or if guests express interest in joining the business.

Why did I have a show with 15 people but no orders?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be that the guests were not interested in the products, the host did not properly promote the show, or the guests did not have disposable income at the time. It is important to evaluate the situation and make adjustments for future shows.

What can I do to increase sales at my shows?

There are several things you can do to increase sales at your shows. First, make sure the host promotes the show to their guests and follows up with them before and after the show. You can also offer special deals or discounts, and make sure to showcase the most popular and versatile products. Lastly, engage with the guests and create a fun and interactive atmosphere.

Should I still follow up with guests who did not place an order?

Yes, it is always a good idea to follow up with guests who did not place an order. They may have been interested in a particular product but didn't have the funds at the time, or they may have been waiting for a special deal. Following up can also help build relationships and potentially lead to future sales or bookings.

What can I do to prevent a show with no orders in the future?

To prevent a show with no orders in the future, it is important to have a strong host coaching process in place. Make sure the host understands their role in promoting the show and following up with guests. You can also offer incentives for the host to have a successful show. Additionally, regularly evaluate and adjust your show strategy to see what works best for your audience.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • gailz2
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • byrd1956
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies