• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Quick Tips for Removing Onion Odor from Prep Bowls

In summary, the covers for the prep bowls that have onions pre-sliced in them can't be washed in the dishwasher, and the smell of onion can be difficult to get rid of. Crumbling up newspapers and putting the lids in a bag with the newspaper may work, or boiling water and vinegar can be used.
siderits
Does anyone have suggestions how to get rid of onion smell from the prep bowl covers? I used them for a show and made the 3 Cheese Garden Pizza (which is awesome by the way), and pre-sliced the onions so everything didn't smell like onions in the house. I stored them in the prep bowls, and now I can't get the onion smell out. I've tried to soak them in hot soapy water with no avail, and I see the covers are not dishwasher safe. Help... my whole cupboard smells like onion when you open it now!

siderits said:
Does anyone have suggestions how to get rid of onion smell from the prep bowl covers? I used them for a show and made the 3 Cheese Garden Pizza (which is awesome by the way), and pre-sliced the onions so everything didn't smell like onions in the house. I stored them in the prep bowls, and now I can't get the onion smell out. I've tried to soak them in hot soapy water with no avail, and I see the covers are not dishwasher safe. Help... my whole cupboard smells like onion when you open it now!

I had a past host who had this happen to her - and we tried EVERYTHING to get the smell out - bleach, baking soda,....etc.......I finally ordered replacement lids for her!

Try crumbling up some newspapers and putting the lids in a bag with the newspaper. Sometimes that will soak up the smells....

KellyTheChef said:
Try crumbling up some newspapers and putting the lids in a bag with the newspaper. Sometimes that will soak up the smells....

Newspaper huh? Who da thunk, but I'll give anything a try. Any other suggestions anyone?

Teresa Lynn said:
charcoal will work

What do you do with the charcoal? In a bag like the newspaper suggestion? Rub it?

put it in a ziploc bag or box throw it in the sun for a day

Vinegar. Heat up some vinegar in the bowl then put the lid on and let it sit for awhile. Wash out the bowl and the smell should be gone!

I know how to get the onion smell off your hands but don't know any tricks for the lids sorry:(

:blushing: I put my lids in the dishwasher...

Try coffee beans or washing in lemon juice?

jrny2001 said:
:blushing: I put my lids in the dishwasher...
I did too till they all started cracking from the center of the lid outwards....

I have emailed HO about this- they need to restyle those lids just like they did the stainless bowl lids!

To get the onion smell out, I'll let the lid sit in a lemon juice/baking soda mixture overnight.

I usually hand was my lids, but I have, on occasion, tossed them in the dishwasher. :blushing:

raebates said:
To get the onion smell out, I'll let the lid sit in a lemon juice/baking soda mixture overnight.

I usually hand was my lids, but I have, on occasion, tossed them in the dishwasher. :blushing:

I don't think I have - but nothing is safe from the dishwasher when DH is in the kitchen! So I am sure mine have been in there!

KellyTheChef said:
I did too till they all started cracking from the center of the lid outwards....
Ditto!

I have emailed HO about this- they need to restyle those lids just like they did the stainless bowl lids!

I totally agree...batter bowl lids too.

1. How do I remove the strong onion smell from my prep bowls?

To remove onion odor from your prep bowls, try using white vinegar. Simply pour a small amount into the bowl and let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing with warm water. You can also try using a mixture of baking soda and water or rubbing the bowl with a lemon wedge.

2. Will soaking the bowls in soapy water help remove the onion smell?

Soaking the bowls in soapy water can help remove the onion smell, but it may not completely eliminate it. The soap will help break down the oils from the onions, but you may need to use an additional method, such as vinegar or lemon, to fully remove the odor.

3. Can I use bleach to remove the onion smell from my prep bowls?

It is not recommended to use bleach to remove onion odor from prep bowls. Bleach can be harsh and may damage the material of the bowl. It is also not food safe, so it is best to use natural methods such as vinegar or lemon to remove the smell.

4. How long should I let the vinegar sit in the bowl before rinsing?

The amount of time needed for the vinegar to work may vary, but it is generally recommended to let it sit for at least 5-10 minutes before rinsing with warm water. For tougher odors, you may need to let it sit for longer or repeat the process.

5. Can I use these tips for removing onion odor on other kitchen tools?

Yes, these tips can also be used for removing onion odor from other kitchen tools, such as cutting boards, knives, and utensils. However, be cautious when using vinegar on certain materials, such as wooden cutting boards, as it may cause damage. In these cases, using a lemon or baking soda mixture may be a better option.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Luv 2 Cook
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • ChefKeender
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
speedychef
  • donnathepamperedchef