• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Collapsible Bowl Smells Like Onions - What to Do?

In summary, the bowl of left-over chopped salad smells bad. Vinegar and water solution may work, but lemon is also a possible solution.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
I made the Collossal Chopped Salad to take to a party last weekend (yummo!). There was still some left-over so I put it in my 'garage fridge' to take care of in the morning - and guess what? I forgot about it for a few days. Well, now I can't get the onion smell out of it. I've washed it several times and even soaked it for a day in a water and dishwasher soap solution - what else can I try? Will a bleach solution harm it? Maybe rub lemon juice in it? Vinegar? Any sure-fire ways to take care of this without ruining my bowl?

I would try vinegar and water solution and add some lemon to it - Leave it soak a while - if that doesn't work - maybe some baking soda and warm water - let it dry outside as well - good luck!!!

Lemon juice would work.

Do you have any of the Detergent Booster for plastics in the dishwasher? That might take the smell out.

My bowl is currently soaking in a vinegar and water solution, I'll let ya'll know this evening how it works. If this doesn't take care of it, I'm going to try lemon, if that doesn't work then I'll buy some of the Detergent Booster.

pamperedlinda said:
My bowl is currently soaking in a vinegar and water solution, I'll let ya'll know this evening how it works. If this doesn't take care of it, I'm going to try lemon, if that doesn't work then I'll buy some of the Detergent Booster.

OMG Linda! I was just reading your signature line - you are SO close - I am so excited for you!!!!!!!

Linda...Check with the Home Office as well. They may not be aware of the oder issue. And if they ar emaybe they can help with a suggestion.

And I too just read your "By line" OMG! How great is that. Got my fingers and toes and eyes and ... well anything I can cross is!!

WAAA HOOOO!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!

Thanks for crossing what ya got! Everything is in place - I just gotta get it in the bag. Soon, very soon...I'm trying to be patient, but it's hard.

I seem to remember something about crumpled newspaper inside with the cover on taking odors out of plastic, suitcase, etc. As you can tell, I am sort of vague on this. But, hey, it's worth a shot.

I was gonna say crumpled newpspaper with the lid on set in the sun or hot garage for a few hours

or just in the sun open
You can also put a few briquettes of charcoal

I soaked it in a vinegar/water solution all day yesterday - it still smells! I'm going to leave it out in the sunshine today and send an email to the Test Kitchen about it. I have a show Tues and I want to use this bowl - but not if it still smells. :(

Linda, did you try baking soda paste? Baking soda is what you use to take the smells out of your fridge...I would think a paste applied for awhile would help.

Oh, and another remedy I heard was to put coffee grounds in an old cut-off nylon and put it in there. Try that with the lid one and see if it absorbs the smell out...

Thanks Janet, I'll give those a try.

Just so you know Linda - it may take 2-3 days in a covered bowl vs. just one day!Keep us posted how it turns out!!!!

Don't know if you've tried it but Dawn has a liquid called "Dawn Plus with Odor Eraser" that I use & it takes care of every kind of smell (even milk in a sippy cup for a few days:yuck:) maybe that will work.:confused:

Update:

I let is sit outside today adn then I soaked it in my Palmolive Aromatherapy dishliquid - it smells much better. The onion smell is almost gone. I'm going to let it soak overnight and hopefully all will be better tomorrow.

I'll post the response I get from the Test Kitchen once I hear back from them. In the meantime - don't leave oniony left-overs in your bowl for several days.

Test Kitchen said to use Soft Scrub with Bleach.

I sometimes have trouble getting smells out of the prep bowl lids too. I actually tossed 2 lids not that long ago cause nothing would remove the smell.

I stopped offering the 3-Cheese Garden Veggie Pizza recipe for my shows because the garlic bits stuck in the garlic press and the onions stuck in the chopper stunk my car up so bad (just form the short commute home) that I couldn't handle it anymore! :) LOL

1. Why does my collapsible bowl smell like onions?

The collapsible bowl may have picked up the smell of onions if it was stored or used near them. Additionally, some materials used in the production of the bowl can absorb odors, which may contribute to the onion smell.

2. Will the onion smell go away over time?

In most cases, the onion smell should dissipate over time with proper cleaning and airing out of the bowl. However, if the smell persists, there are some steps you can take to remove it.

3. How can I get rid of the onion smell from my collapsible bowl?

You can try soaking the bowl in a mixture of warm water and baking soda for a few hours. You can also use a mixture of white vinegar and water to wipe down the bowl and let it air dry. If these methods do not work, you can try leaving the bowl in direct sunlight for a few hours or placing it in the freezer overnight.

4. Can I still use the bowl if it smells like onions?

Yes, as long as the smell does not affect the taste or smell of your food, the bowl should still be safe to use. However, it is recommended to try and remove the onion smell for a better cooking and dining experience.

5. How can I prevent my collapsible bowl from picking up strong odors in the future?

To prevent your bowl from picking up strong odors, it is important to clean it thoroughly after each use and store it in a dry and well-ventilated area. You can also consider using a lid or plastic wrap when storing food in the bowl to prevent the transfer of smells. Additionally, avoid using the bowl near strong-smelling foods like onions or garlic.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Luv 2 Cook
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • siderits
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kkimpinski
  • slapsappyhappy