• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Don't Put Collapsible Bowl in Dishwasher: Testing Reveals Risk

In summary, the Tupperware collapsible bowl should not be washed in the collapsed position because the green part can become brittle and the prongs can get stuck.
BethCooks4U
Gold Member
On the S/S video they tell us that we can put the collapsible bowl in the dishwasher in the collapsed position and even have a clip of her doing just that.

The use and care card says that it should not be washed in the collapsed position.

I called the test kitchens and they said that they determined after further testing that the green part gets brittle and that the prongs sometimes get stuck in the soft part of the bowl if put in the dishwasher collapsed. She said that the video was made before the testing and that we should always use the information on the use and care cards as the accurate info when there is question. She said I was the first to call about this which surprised me.

So do not wash it collapsed.

I also asked about microwave safeness of that product and she said that it hasn't been tested and that most microwaves wouldn't accomodate that large a bowl anyway. True but I forgot to ask about the collapsed version - I can see someone heating up dips in that... I will tell my guests that I do not advise using it in the microwave because it isn't intended for that use and hasn't been tested.

Thank you, Beth. Good to know.

Thanks Beth - I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet.

That stuck in my head at Leadership as a good point that it could be washed collapsed. It drives me nuts when I wash one large bowl and it takes up almost half of my dishwasher. Certainly they haven't just printed up all of the Use and Care cards since Leadership (somebody had to have know before then). I actually just told a couple of people after my show tonight about that bowl and specifically said to them that it could be washed in the collapsed position.

Of all things for me to retain and pass on!! :rolleyes: It would have to be inaccurate info.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to clarify at the next show they come to. This group travels in a pack and they have been to almost all of my last few shows. I felt like they were ready to see some new product.

This will be something that we will need to stay on top of, because Tupperware sells a bowl that collapses flat and you can wash it in the dishwasher when it is flat. I can see people getting confused .

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying that! I haven't had a chance to watch the video either.

It stuck in my mind too - I couldn't imagine how it would get clean collapsed since I hadn't seen it.

So it really stuck out to me when it said the opposite on the u&c card.

Glad I could help.

BethCooks4U said:
It stuck in my mind too - I couldn't imagine how it would get clean collapsed since I hadn't seen it.

So it really stuck out to me when it said the opposite on the u&c card.

Glad I could help.

This as my thought since they've promoted this. My dishwasher isn't very good at getting into every nook and cranny!

Does the catalog mention anything about this?

wadesgirl said:
This as my thought since they've promoted this. My dishwasher isn't very good at getting into every nook and cranny!

Does the catalog mention anything about this?
Now that I have the bowl in my hands, it does look like the whole thing would get clean collapsed but we are NOT to clean it in the DW in that position so it really doesn't matter...

1. Can I put my Pampered Chef collapsible bowl in the dishwasher?

No, we do not recommend putting the collapsible bowl in the dishwasher. Our testing has revealed potential risks that could damage the bowl.

2. What exactly are the risks of putting the collapsible bowl in the dishwasher?

Our testing has shown that putting the collapsible bowl in the dishwasher could cause the plastic material to warp or deform, making it difficult to collapse and potentially damaging the bowl's function.

3. Can I hand wash the collapsible bowl instead?

Yes, hand washing is the recommended method for cleaning the collapsible bowl. Use warm soapy water and a soft sponge to gently clean the bowl, then air dry before collapsing and storing.

4. Is it safe to use the collapsible bowl for hot foods and liquids?

Yes, the collapsible bowl is safe to use with hot foods and liquids. However, we recommend letting the food or liquid cool down before collapsing the bowl to avoid potential warping.

5. How should I clean the collapsible bowl if I accidentally put it in the dishwasher?

If the collapsible bowl has been through the dishwasher, we recommend hand washing it with warm soapy water and inspecting for any warping or damage before using it again. If the bowl is significantly damaged, we recommend replacing it for safety reasons.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• heat123
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
heat123
  • pamperedlinda
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
AnnieBee
  • leftymac