• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Garlic/Onion Scent Stuck in Plastic! Any Suggestions?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking advice on how to get rid of the strong smell of onions and garlic from kitchen utensils, such as a food chopper and garlic peeler/slicer. Various suggestions are given, including using baking soda, lemon juice, and vinegar, as well as letting the items air out in the sun or with newspaper. The importance of washing utensils immediately after use is also emphasized.
slapsappyhappy
Silver Member
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to get that scent out of the products! I put them through the dishwasher but usually it takes 2 cycles and there is still a faint smell. The biggest problem I have is with:

Onions in the food chopper- the scent lingers!!! even with handwashing and then running through the dishwasher. I tried soaking too... it is awesome for chopping onions but I like chopping chocolate in it too and do not want the chocolate to smell like onions.

Garlic in the garlic peeler/slicer- :rolleyes: obviously, I know that it is meant for garlic, but I do not want my whole untensil drawer to smell like garlic. It is not good if I am making a cake and the things in the drawer all smell like garlic, lol!

I have a fairly new dishwasher, and I tried soaking these items with soap and then running them through. If you have any suggestions please let me know!!! :eek:

hmm... I have never noticed a problem.

Have you tried Baking soda? It is non abrasive and absorbs odors.

Maybe try soaking in Lemon Juice. That will bring a fresh scent to it.
Lemon Juice also removes any stains or discoloring. Hope this helps!

I'd soak in vinegar for awhile...the wash with hot water.

the only thing that has worked for the food chopper onions is wash it immediately after using.

I agree about washing the food chopper immediately, it really helps get the food off of the blades, and safer, too. You are not trying to scrub the blades, which for me, would surely make me cut myself.

As far as the slicer, how about designating different drawers in your kitchen for things that you primarily use for savory cooking and things primarily used for sweet cooking? I know tupperware used to tell their customers to leave their items in a window sill, and the sun naturally took away the smell or stuff newspaper inside the bowls for a few days to absorb the smell.

If i notice that one of my pieces still has an onion or garlic odor after a couple of washes, I leave it out and open for a couple of days. It's always done the trick for me.

Hello there,I completely understand your frustration with the lingering garlic and onion scents in your plastic products. As a pampered chef consultant, I have come across this issue before and have some tips that may help.Firstly, I would recommend trying a mixture of equal parts baking soda and water. This is a natural deodorizer and can help neutralize the strong odors in your plastic products. Simply make a paste with the baking soda and water and scrub it onto the affected areas. Let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing it off.Another option is to use white vinegar. You can soak your plastic products in a mixture of water and vinegar for a few hours before washing them with soap and water. The vinegar will help to break down the odors and leave your products smelling fresh.In addition, try using lemon juice or lemon slices to rub onto the plastic products. Lemon has natural deodorizing properties and can help eliminate the garlic and onion scents.Lastly, make sure to thoroughly dry your plastic products after washing them. Dampness can cause odors to linger, so it's important to let them air dry completely before storing them away.I hope these suggestions help you get rid of the stubborn garlic and onion scents in your plastic products. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Happy cooking!

1. How do I get rid of garlic or onion smell from plastic containers?

To remove the strong scent of garlic or onion from plastic containers, try soaking them in a mixture of equal parts water and white vinegar for 30 minutes. Then rinse with warm water and dish soap. You can also try sprinkling baking soda inside the containers and letting them sit overnight before washing them.

2. Can I use bleach to remove the scent from plastic containers?

No, it is not recommended to use bleach as it can damage the plastic and leave a strong chemical smell that can be difficult to get rid of. It is best to stick to natural methods for removing the garlic or onion scent.

3. Will leaving plastic containers outside in the sun help remove the scent?

Yes, sunlight can help dissipate the scent from plastic containers. Place the containers outside in direct sunlight for a few hours and then wash them as usual. You can also try leaving them in a well-ventilated area for a day or two to allow the scent to fade.

4. How do I prevent the scent from transferring to other containers?

To prevent the strong scent of garlic or onion from transferring to other containers, make sure to thoroughly wash and dry the containers before using them again. You can also try storing the containers with a piece of bread inside, as the bread can absorb the odor.

5. Can I use essential oils to remove the scent from plastic containers?

Yes, you can use essential oils to remove the scent from plastic containers. Simply mix a few drops of your preferred essential oil with water and use it to wipe down the containers. The strong scent of the essential oil will help mask the garlic or onion smell.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• siderits
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kkimpinski
  • pamperedlinda
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
  • chefmelody