• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Make a 1 Egg Omelet in a Prep Bowl - Tips for the Busy Parent!

I'll take them off your hands!!!In summary, the conversation discusses a tip for making a one egg omelet in a prep bowl using a microwave. Other uses for prep bowls are also mentioned, such as making individual servings of Jello or pudding, snipping fresh herbs with kitchen shears, and using them for portion control for diets. They can also be used for melting butter, storing leftovers, and preparing food in advance for parties or shows. The conversation ends with someone regretting giving away their prep bowls and others expressing interest in using them.
jwpamp said:
did you guys see the new Cooking for Two Cookbook? There is an awesome Chocolate Recpe for the Prep Bowls....YUM!

I saw that recipe! I have a couple sets of the prep bowls - I was thinking I could even do these for Chocolate Shows! They look soooo good!

I did the footballs in the prep bowls, but I used meatloaf and made them for a superbowl party. They were a big hit! I used rice for the "strings". I love my prep bowls for dyeing easter eggs and making custards too.

Karen

Mini Doll Cakes
Pampered Amy said:
Sonya-
I thought about doing little doll cakes with the prep bowls, too, and my thought for the doll would be little Polly Pockets. I think those would be the perfect size (maybe?).
Thanks,
Amy :)

That might work. Maybe a Kelly doll, or one of the newer mini Barbies. Let us know which one works if you try it. I'm thinking of doing this for my Little Princess's birthday. :)

Another idea that I mention at my shows is turning the prep bowls upside down, spray them with non-stick cooking spray and then spread frozen bread dough over the tops of them and back for small bread bowls that you can use for salads, soups, or chilis. These are always a hit in the Fall and Winter months. They make just the right size without having a lot of bread left over once the salad and chili are gone.

Oh my gosh, such good ideas!!! You could also use them to make flan or any of those baked custard desserts.. I want to try mini molten lava cakes in them!!

WOW -- you guys are so SMART and imaginative! I'm impressed!

This thread is one of the many reasons I LOVE THIS WEBSITE!

So, I used them for a show for the first time. All I can say is WOW!!! I put all the ingredients in them, and it made prep for the show soooo easy. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these!

Okay...try this one-liner out at your next shows. Of course you've got to call the Classic and Sm Batter Bowls the Big Daddy and Mommy bowls.

What happens when you leave your Classic and Small Batter Bowls in the cupboard too long? They have babies!! Then show the Prep Bowls.

Kinda corny, but everyone laughs! Good times, good times.

Prep bowl ideas, cont.Last Christmas I had 18 people for dinner and didn't want to use my oven for dessert since I had so much other stuff to make, so I did individual bread puddings in the prep bowls for everyone--you need to set them in a water bath so I used the roasting pan--did it after presents but before I put the ham in, everyone LOVED them. How easy--bread pudding. I soaked the bread in eggnog, then sprinkled a little cinnamon and sugar and nutmeg over the top and baked for about 20 minutes.

Nancy Collins

What great ideas. Prep bowls were given to me this summer as a gift by the person that recruited me as I do a lot of prep work for my weekend cooking and also serve stuff as "make your own salads" where every ingredient is in its own bowl and this way it stays nice and moist if I have leftovers. Lettuce is of course in a large pretty bowl but tomatoes, carrots, peppers, scallions, cucumber are all diced and put in their own bowl.

Tasha- I do something similar! When we have nachos I cut up olives, green onions, white onions, tomatoes, lettuce (in the small chillzane bowl), sour cream and salsa and put them in the prep bowls. It works perfectly as a do-it-yourself buffet!!

Pampered Amy said:
Sonya-
I thought about doing little doll cakes with the prep bowls, too, and my thought for the doll would be little Polly Pockets. I think those would be the perfect size (maybe?).
Thanks,
Amy :)
They have mini doll picks at craft stores (it's just the doll from the waist up with a pick). I made these in the prep bowls for bridal showers and fairs to be the brides maids - really cute.

Remember that whether you use a doll or a pick you do not add the doll until the cake is baked and cooled. lol I have heard of people melting the doll because they didn't consider that.

Trish1953 said:
Love the Daddy "Bear" (Bowl), Mama "Bear" and Baby "Bear" comparisons. Has anyone thought of using bowls to actually make a bear (as in cake). If so how would you go about it? The small bowls are good for custards and things like that. However, my husband, a chef, loves them for getting all his ingredients measured. And, they're a perfect size for snacks for the grandkids.

oooh...what if you used the classic batter bowl for the body, the small batter bowl for the head, and the six prep bowls for the ears, arms and legs. He'd be laying on his back. it would be cute! I'll have to try it sometime and post a picture!

gilliandanielle said:
Tasha- I do something similar! When we have nachos I cut up olives, green onions, white onions, tomatoes, lettuce (in the small chillzane bowl), sour cream and salsa and put them in the prep bowls. It works perfectly as a do-it-yourself buffet!!

And all you have to do with the left overs is put the lids on, I love it!! Right now I use the old tupperware compartment platter, but not anymore!

amya said:
I just thought I would give my own Prep Bowl recipe that I give at my shows. Divide a can of cherry or apple pie filling among the prep bowls (you may need 2 cans if you're using all 6 bowls). Top each one with a Pillsbury biscuit that has been slightly flattened. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and bake according to the directions on the biscuit can. Individual cobblers for everyone!

Oh, I love it! Thank you! This would be a great idea with chicken pot pie filling too!

Yummmmm!!!!!!!!!!

prep bowl ideahere are the prep bowl ideas that have been posted in one handy file. Hope it helps.

Flora:)

Attachments

• Prep Bowls Ideas Booklet.doc
    250.5 KB · Views: 1,069
I am expecting my prep bowls from SS#3 any day now! I was wondering what to do with them!! Thanks ladies!!!

I always use them at my shows too! All my prepped food goes in them and then I just throw the recipe together. Another thing you can use it for is if you do ice cream socials as a theme show.....put your toppings in them. :)

Thanks for the great file. Here it is in PDF for those that don't have word.

Attachments

• Prep Bowls Ideas Booklet.pdf
    79 KB · Views: 657
I bought a Wilton pan once in an egg shape to make a Humpty Dumpty cake for my son's first birthday.. bet you could use the prep bowls to make little mini HD's for all the kids! and the BB to make the large one.. cut it in half lengthwise and decorate...

Momma23boys said:
I bought a Wilton pan once in an egg shape to make a Humpty Dumpty cake for my son's first birthday.. bet you could use the prep bowls to make little mini HD's for all the kids! and the BB to make the large one.. cut it in half lengthwise and decorate...

I plan on using the BB to make a doll cake when my daughter turns two in Feb. I'm also going to use the prep bowls to make mini princesses for all the kids to eat. I'm so excited to do it!!

This is one of my favorite threads-- a great example of a collection of wonderful ideas!

It's almost 9 PM here and I went and made an omelet and it works! I never thought of doing an omlet in a prep bowl.

Do you know you can also make cookie bowls with them? Just cut your dough in 1 inch slices (you can freeze your dough for an hour and it's easier to cut) and place on the top of the bowl. The dough will bake down onto the bowl. Bake and let sit for 5 min. then carefully take your cookie off the bowl. Fill with ice cream and VOILA! Enjoy!

I'll have to try that Holly!

PamperedPrincess74 said:
I know, I KNEW I should've given her my cookie press instead!

Maybe she wouldn't mind giving you one or two back?;)

I can't wait to teach my husband the Egg trick! I'm going to try it right now... he loves eggs in the am, but doesn't always have "time" for them, now he can!

... and I can't wait to try the brownies too! I had to wait almost a year before I could get my prepbowls, now I'm the happiest camper, and thanks to all of these wonderful ideas they'll pay for themselves quickly!

THANKS!

hrdumm said:
Do you know you can also make cookie bowls with them? Just cut your dough in 1 inch slices (you can freeze your dough for an hour and it's easier to cut) and place on the top of the bowl. The dough will bake down onto the bowl. Bake and let sit for 5 min. then carefully take your cookie off the bowl. Fill with ice cream and VOILA! Enjoy!

Ohhh this could be dangerous for me! I HAVE to try it :)

going to go try a one egg omelette right now. My first show is tomorrow night :)
Not bad, looks kinda funky but tastes great. Thanks!

Last edited:
Bumping this up because someone was looking for tips!!

I realized at yesterday's show that there is VAST confusion about this set. It says in the catalog that 2 are included with the kit. SO many ladies assumed that meant it came with only 2! Once I explained it comes with 6, I sold 3 of them! And there were only 3 ladies at the show, lol. I love mine, and the 2 things I talk about usually get them interested. I tell them how my 5yo makes the eggs in them for my other kids, and how I"m going to make mini princess cakes for my 3yo's upcoming party. Even if they're not interested in eggs or cakes, they're immediately impressed that they go in the microwave as well as the oven. They also love the lids, and how heavy they are. ;) These are one of my favorites - and at such a great price!!

I had someone ask me about it the other night too. I had to explain that in our starter kit they now include two but you can buy all 6 for $20. She then said order me a box!

If I could only
Chef Kearns said:
I learned this tip last week at a meeting. I was floored!! Did you know you can make a 1 egg omelet in a prep bowl? Yup!!

Ingredients:
1 egg
smidge of cheese
smiidge of meat (or other omelet filling)

You don't want to fill it too much because it will overflow. You may want to spritz the inside for a clean release. Beat the egg then add the cheese and filling. Mix 'til all filling is covered with egg. Pop in microwave for 1 minute. Flip out and ENJOY!!

get my kids (15 and 17) to just spritz. Sheeesh hate scrubbing that hard egg out my bowls

Anyone have a 1-serving chocolate recipe for the bowls? I don't buy brownie mix or anything but really want something with a scoop of ice cream tonight. :)

brownie
britishchef said:
Anyone have a 1-serving chocolate recipe for the bowls? I don't buy brownie mix or anything but really want something with a scoop of ice cream tonight. :)
I made the tuxedo brownies yesterday and I had exactly enough batter left for 4 of the prep bowls. We made them tonight and they were outstanding!!!!! They went great with a tall glass of cold milk. YUMMEE!

I made the egg thing this morning, and it was great! It didn't just plop right out, though, but didn't take too much to clean up!

Decorating the doll cakesI have made the Bride & Bridesmaid cakes for Bridal fairs. In my frustration with trying to ice them without getting cake crumbs in the frosting, I decided to pop the can of (store bought) frosting in the microwave (30 sec intervals, stirring in between until liquid). I first poured the liquid frosting over the top of the cakes and moved the cake around to get good coverage, then I dipped the doll picks (there are two different sizes at craft stores) in the liquid frosting to give them strapless dresses. Make sure to stick the doll picks in the cakes before the frosting cools and solidfys so you have a smooth transition in the dress.

Not only is it easier and faster to frost them this way, when they cool the frosting has a nice smooth shiny look.

I used a regular white frosting and put food coloring in for the bridesmaids.

rmoesw01 said:
I have made the Bride & Bridesmaid cakes for Bridal fairs. In my frustration with trying to ice them without getting cake crumbs in the frosting, I decided to pop the can of (store bought) frosting in the microwave (30 sec intervals, stirring in between until liquid). I first poured the liquid frosting over the top of the cakes and moved the cake around to get good coverage, then I dipped the doll picks (there are two different sizes at craft stores) in the liquid frosting to give them strapless dresses. Make sure to stick the doll picks in the cakes before the frosting cools and solidfys so you have a smooth transition in the dress. Not only is it easier and faster to frost them this way, when they cool the frosting has a nice smooth shiny look.I used a regular white frosting and put food coloring in for the bridesmaids.
Good idea!! I hate frosting cakes because I always end up with the crumb-factor!

Or you could use the star tip on the decorator bottle set and make the dress out of little stars. No crumbs!

hrdumm said:

I've got to try this.........mmmmmmmmmm, sounds so good!:D :D

how cool is that!!! do you have to spray the bowl first?

heather

Liddy98 said:
You know that they now have a pilsbury shortbread that looks just like their biscuit dough. I bet that would make a great cobbler, or indv. strawberry shortcakes.

Shortbread like cookies???? Where? OMG I am so excited. Is it a cookie roll?

Karen said:
Another idea that I mention at my shows is turning the prep bowls upside down, spray them with non-stick cooking spray and then spread frozen bread dough over the tops of them and back for small bread bowls that you can use for salads, soups, or chilis. These are always a hit in the Fall and Winter months. They make just the right size without having a lot of bread left over once the salad and chili are gone.

How long do you bake these???? LOVE this idea!!

its_me_susan said:
Shortbread like cookies???? Where? OMG I am so excited. Is it a cookie roll?

I am bumping this up because I just saw the new Pillsbury Shortbread Biscuits at the store with the other Refrigerated Pillsbury Breads.....and wondered if anyone had tried them....with the Prep Bowls or otherwise? I was so tempted to buy them.....but thought it would be good to get a review first.....but I may just have to go back for them!:D

Does this cookie bowl thing work with regular old chocolate chip cookie dough?! I'm having dinner guests and this would be a REALLY impressive dessert!

By regular old dough, I mean not from a pack from the store, from scratch kind of cookie dough! LOL!

I'm sure it would. Choc Chip bowls would be good with a little pudding and whipped cream in them. Yum! Or ice cream and hot fudge. Double-yum!!

speedychef said:
Does this cookie bowl thing work with regular old chocolate chip cookie dough?! I'm having dinner guests and this would be a REALLY impressive dessert!
I tried this with store-bought cookie dough in the roll. It was a disaster. :( It didn't hold its shape and lots of it dripped off, and then the top didn't cook as fast as the sides, so the sides ended up really crunchy almost burnt and the top was still a little on the raw side. ;(

Hmm. I think I'll go with ice cream sammies tonight but definitely try the bowl thing some other time!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ksmedic
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Cathy pclady
  • atpchef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
Replies