• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Removing Mildew Smell from Oven Mitt: Tips & Advice

In summary, the cranberry oven mitt smelled bad when it was first washed, but soaking it in vinegar got rid of the smell.
christy_c
Help! I purchased the cranberry oven mitt as a gift for my Mom. She wasn't happy with the size - thought it was too big for her hand - so I brought it home to wash it thinking that it would shrink a little. Well, the size is perfect now, but it stinks!! You know, that yucky mildew smell? I put it in the dryer on low for quite a while (can't remember how long, but probably at least an hour). When I took it out, it smelled awful. I took it straight from the washer to the dryer & immediately took it out when the dryer went off, so it's not like it was sitting around airdrying or anything. I've tried soaking it for awhile in a detergent/water mixture, washed & dried it again, and it still smells awful! Any advice? I hate to throw it away, but I don't know what else to do!

try soaking it in some vinegar maybe

I had to run mine through the dryer several times before it finally got dry. Mine is still huge though, didn't shrink enough for me. I like the thickness of this mitt, just wish it fit.

Get a new one from HO and wash then DRY DRY DRY!!

Even though I love the thickness of the oven mitt, the length of time to get them to dry totally is a pain....when I sell these, I try to remember to tell people to plan on putting it thru the dryer twice, this way they aren't surprised.

I think the other post suggesting a vinegar wash (or something else like oxy-clean) may be needed to get your mom's mitt back to smelling good.

(This is why I really liked the siicone oven mitt when we had it ...always clean and ready to go....)

Thanks for all your posts. I'm going to try the vinegar & hope it gets rid of the smell. If not, I'll call HO & see if they'll do anything. Thanks!! :)

What is the best way to remove mildew smell from oven mitts?

The best way to remove mildew smell from oven mitts is to soak them in a mixture of equal parts white vinegar and water for about an hour. Then, wash them with hot water and detergent. You can also add a cup of baking soda to the wash cycle for extra odor-fighting power.

Can I use bleach to get rid of the mildew smell?

While bleach can be effective at removing mildew, it is not recommended for use on oven mitts. Bleach can damage the fabric and weaken the fibers, causing them to wear out faster. It is best to stick to gentler methods like vinegar and baking soda.

How often should I clean my oven mitts to prevent mildew smell?

It is recommended to clean your oven mitts after each use to prevent the buildup of bacteria and mildew. If you notice a mildew smell, it is important to clean them immediately to prevent the smell from becoming worse.

What can I do to prevent mildew smell in the future?

To prevent mildew smell in the future, make sure to properly dry your oven mitts after each use. Hang them up to air dry or toss them in the dryer on a low heat setting. You can also spray them with a mixture of water and white vinegar before storing them to help prevent odor buildup.

Can I use fabric softener to remove mildew smell from oven mitts?

Fabric softener can actually make the mildew smell worse by trapping moisture in the fabric. It is best to avoid using fabric softener on oven mitts and stick to using vinegar and baking soda for odor removal.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• RossDeb2
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pcchris
  • jrstephens
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Back