• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Publicity Policies- Please Help!

In summary, the group organizer is trying to accommodate the moms who have businesses by allowing them to "promote" themselves on their private meetup website, but they cannot advertise their website. The policy is confusing and unenforceable, so the consultant is unsure about how to proceed.
augmommychef
Silver Member
Okay, I am checking with my seasoned Pampered Chef Consultants if this is legit.

I joined a Mommy Meetup group in January for two reasons---to get my son out of the house and actually start interacting with other kiddos, second to help build my network (which is close to zero even though I've lived here 5 years). After attending about five meetings and not even mentioning that I did PC, I wore my vest with the PC logo. Not one mommy asked me about it nor did I bring it up. About a week later, I get an email from the group organizer that had policies regarding "soliciting" at playgroups. She said that we are not to discuss, solicit, or sell anything during the playgroups (none of which I did). However, she is trying the accomodate the moms who have businesses by allowing us to "promote" ourselves on our private meetup website. There have been three moms who have promoted their biz (none of which is PC). My question: can I do this? I know I cannot advertise my website, but can I just have my name and that I am a PC consultant? I guess I feel trapped, I can't advertise on the website and I can't even talk about it during playgroups! Anyway, any input and advise would be greatly appreciated!

JmhoI am not sure of the policy so I will leave that to the seasoned experts... Anne?

However, I don't think that she should tell you that you can't wear your PC gear to meetings/group. I mean if you wore a shirt with the McDonald's emblem on it would that be the same thing? I wear something PC almost every day I am not at work (a nurse otherwise I would then too). To me you are wearing PC gear to advertise for more that your play group, you want everyone you come in contact with to know about your business.

You can't even mention it on the website. Your group is backwards in the way it relates to our policies - you can talk about it, but you can't advertise online. I would just keep wearing your shirts and if someone asks you if you sell PC, tell them yes and ask them for their email/phone number, since you're not allowed to "sell" at the playgroup. Then get in touch with them one-on-one. That's the best way to build relationships, anyway.

I can't answer on the website thing either, but come on! That makes me so mad! I feel like she shouldn't be telling you what to wear and shouldn't be telling you what to talk about... you weren't 'soliciting' business or being pushy with anyone from what you wrote... you didn't go in there with catalogs and order forms blazing... and it's gonna come up requardless. Surely as you're talking to other moms, someone's gonna ask you what you do. I think as long as you take that person's lead, you're not soliciting. If they say the LOVE PC, you're not gonna not hand them a business card or mini cat or something...
Sorry this happened. Don't let it get you down! Hopefully someone will get you an answer on the website thing... sounds like a good opp! Good luck!

You know what I don't get? Why in the world can we not tell anyone on the WWW that we're PC consultants?? I simply don't understand that. I also don't get why we can put our personal web addy out there when it's "ok" to put it on our catalogs, order forms, etc. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I'd be miffed about the group leader who said you cannot wear the PC logo. I think it's ridiculous.

Because, if PC allowed everyone to put their website out there, some people (with more money or more resources) would have an unfair advantage over others by paying for search engines and such. Plus, PC is about bringing people together "to the table" for a meal, and you can only really portray that through cooking shows and building relationships with people. Plastering your website all over the internet may get you some business, but it's not going to build long-term relationships for you or get your business to the level where you want it, unless you are a millionaire already (any of us a millionaire? I'm not!).

If you can't WEAR PC logos, then get a purse. They can't have a problem with the purse you carry, right??As for the internet, I disagree. I understand that they don't want people to have an unfair advantage with search engines and such...so make that against the rule, but mentioning it online should be allowed. As for not making relationships with people that don't attend shows, I have people that typically order through my outlet or at expos (they follow me around) and that IS how we've developed a relationship. My hands down most fun and interactive host was someone that I met through Ebay of all places!! As for the thought of it being an unfair advantage to those that have the skill to use the internet to their advantage, I sometimes feel the same about the people I know that have an "unfair" ability to remember details about products. :)

I would go to the next meeting naked. Ask her which she prefers? A nice, conspicious, tasteful shirt with a PC logo on it, or nudity?????

sorry- people that try to control what people wear and can say drives me NUTS!

Haha! Naked! Hilarious! I know, it really won't stop me from wearing my PC button. I'll stick it on my diaper bag! Anyway, thanks for the input. PC is a great company and I think they have the internet policy as a precautionary measure and they just don't want people to abuse it. Here's hoping they will be more flexible in the future!

Controlling what you wear is silly and is not solicitation. I mean if a business says "no solicitation" on the outside door wearing a shirt with a business logo on it is not solicitation, unless you go in and ask about selling something. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/solicitation Simply wearing a branded piece of clothing is living by societies rule that we're not to be naked and the branding? Well, if you came from a job at any place that has a branded uniform, would that also be vorbotten? I wear my DH's company jacket all the time... that's not solicitation it's called keeping warm on a chilly day. So I guess no one can wear any kind of company logo then? I'd call her on that one... including any corporate logo... so no Lacoste shirts? No nike 'swhooshes'... seriously, it would show how silly they're being and how no one is free from branding of any kind. I mean, who says that when someone wears a company brand that they even work for them? I've been giving company gear from all sorts of companies I've worked for and not worked for. I'd explain how soliciting online is not 'legal' for you to do but building personal relationships face to face is. You're not intending on voicing anything at meetings but if someone asks afterwards, she has no say in it.. oh and if you really want to get her craw, yeah, get a catalog tote. LOL...

lkprescott said:
oh and if you really want to get her craw, yeah, get a catalog tote. LOL...

Catalog totes can make great diaper bags. Just sayin'.

That is so crazy that you can't wear your logo clothing!
I know, parts of our policies can bum you out about not mentioning you're a PC consultant. But like Cathy said, if it was allowed, some people would have disadvantages. Also, most direct-selling companies have the same policies I think. My dh is part of a health/wellness company, & you can't advertise your website with them either.

I was thinking about this last night... so is the site she will allow you to solicit on open to the general public or only the people in your playgroup? Is it a site that is restricted to just those who are involved in the group?

For those of you seasoned pros - does that make a difference? If it is a site that has restricted access to just those who are in the group could she post her information on it then? I haven't read the policies bkz I haven't run into this issue.

I also think the clothing thing is ridiculous! I would continue to wear it - tell her that you run errands after the play group and when you are out - this is what you wear.

Kitchen Diva said:
I would go to the next meeting naked. Ask her which she prefers? A nice, conspicious, tasteful shirt with a PC logo on it, or nudity?????

sorry- people that try to control what people wear and can say drives me NUTS!

That works well considering when I saw this thread, I missed the "L" in Publicity...

Think I've spent too much time on the "peeps" thread this afternoon!

katie0128 said:
That works well considering when I saw this thread, I missed the "L" in Publicity...

Think I've spent too much time on the "peeps" thread this afternoon!

I missed the "L" the first time I saw a Publix (grocery store down south). I nearly whacked my head on the window of the bus turning around to look again. :blushing:

Wow...pubix...it's almost like a Freudian Slip! Do we have some suppressed Cheffer's on this board? Anyway, to answer Heather's question, yes it is a private message board. In order for you to view it, you must be a member of the meetup group. I don't know if that makes a difference. I don't know if anyone remembers but my husband also vetoed my idea about promoting at his work. I can't catch a break!

I don't believe it makes a difference. No advertising on the internet at all unless you have permission (usually for fundraisers).

Right, there was a case of someone posting on a private MySpace page, and it somehow got back to HO and they got dinged! So I think that even though it's private it's still taboo.And I feel your pain about DH not wanting to promote at work. Heck, I'm just asking if he would leave a catalog or two at the desk! Ah, I won't push it. There will be a point when he will do it on his own. He'll mention PC in passing and someone will pounce on it, and before you know it I'll be the official PC lady of fourth precinct.A girl can dream, right?

Ok - clairfying question on internet advertising....I know we can't advertise our business or mention PC in any way or our website, etc. BUT, can we offer a free cooking show and then put our email address? I belong to a local community thing and other DS companies have their stuff posted ALL over it, so I'm just wondering.....

Not sure about that.... On my page I get arround it but saying things like "I love my job" Or I had a great show today! or new products are here! I say nothing about cooking or chef.

it is such a grey area...

cathyskitchen said:
Because, if PC allowed everyone to put their website out there, some people (with more money or more resources) would have an unfair advantage over others by paying for search engines and such. Plus, PC is about bringing people together "to the table" for a meal, and you can only really portray that through cooking shows and building relationships with people. Plastering your website all over the internet may get you some business, but it's not going to build long-term relationships for you or get your business to the level where you want it, unless you are a millionaire already (any of us a millionaire? I'm not!).
Cathy is right. The whole concept of The Pampered Chef is personal interaction. I have recently read "The Pampered Chef" book about the history and beginnings of the business and must say that I have a newfound appreciation for what I am doing. It is not only about making some extra money but about helping people with making meals easier.
That is hard to do on the internet!!

I was told that the reason you can't post your link has something to do with people being able to grab your link and attaching it to undesirable websites or so something to that effect.

And let it be known that I have seen Directors and above list their websites on "member only" sites such as yahoo groups where it apparently hasn't been seen because they're still there months later. I had a friend surprise me by linking my website on hers as her featured business of the month. Unfortunately, HO found it before I did and I got a warning email within hours. There is supposedly a whole department that does searches on the web looking for this sort of thing. You can list your website on emails to a group like yahoo groups, but you can't list it on a forum-type website as your signature.

linojackie said:
I was told that the reason you can't post your link has something to do with people being able to grab your link and attaching it to undesirable websites or so something to that effect.

And let it be known that I have seen Directors and above list their websites on "member only" sites such as yahoo groups where it apparently hasn't been seen because they're still there months later. I had a friend surprise me by linking my website on hers as her featured business of the month. Unfortunately, HO found it before I did and I got a warning email within hours. There is supposedly a whole department that does searches on the web looking for this sort of thing. You can list your website on emails to a group like yahoo groups, but you can't list it on a forum-type website as your signature.
I am sure that has something to do with it as well. I tend to think a big part of it though is keeping the playing field level and somewhat fair. And unfortunately there are some who always find a way to circumvent the rules and take advantage.

ConfussedOK, let me be sure I understand.

I can have a PC website (which I do)
I can send out newsletters and email flyers to customers (which I do)
I can put ads into chruch and school programs (which I do)

BUT, I'm NOT allowed to post on any other community type websites (ie, homeschooling, collecting sites and others) that I sell PC?????

But I am supposed to recuit my happy self to directorship?

Am I understnding this correctly????:confused: :confused:

That's right - you can't post online that you're a consultant. And the only place you can link to your PWS is in email signatures (and for fundraisers). The policies are to not only keep a level playing field, but to encourage the personal relationships and connections upon which this company was built.

cwinter474 said:
OK, let me be sure I understand.

I can have a PC website (which I do)
I can send out newsletters and email flyers to customers (which I do)
I can put ads into chruch and school programs (which I do)

BUT, I'm NOT allowed to post on any other community type websites (ie, homeschooling, collecting sites and others) that I sell PC?????

But I am supposed to recuit my happy self to directorship?

Am I understnding this correctly????:confused: :confused:

People do it everyday!;)

1. What is the purpose of Pampered Chef's publicity policies?

The purpose of our publicity policies is to ensure that our brand and products are represented accurately and positively in the media and public eye. We want to maintain a consistent image and message for our company and its products.

2. Are there any restrictions on how I can promote Pampered Chef products?

Yes, there are certain guidelines that must be followed when promoting Pampered Chef products. This includes using approved language and images, as well as adhering to our brand standards and values. Please refer to our publicity policies for more information.

3. Can I mention Pampered Chef in my social media posts?

Yes, you are welcome to mention Pampered Chef in your social media posts as long as you follow our publicity policies. This includes using approved hashtags and images, and not making any false or misleading claims about our products.

4. Can I use Pampered Chef's logo on my own promotional materials?

No, our logo and other branding materials are only authorized for use by Pampered Chef consultants and corporate employees. Any unauthorized use of our logo is strictly prohibited and may result in legal action.

5. What should I do if I have questions about Pampered Chef's publicity policies?

If you have any questions or concerns about our publicity policies, please reach out to our corporate team for clarification. We are happy to provide guidance and support to ensure that our brand and products are represented accurately and positively.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
JAE
Replies
Views
AlowayFamily
  • cincychef
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Admin Greg