• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Power Cooking Ideas for Picky Kids?

In summary,The author is looking for ideas for dinner that will be something a 5- and 7-year-old will eat, and she is looking for suggestions for what not to do. She writes, "They are pretty typical kids - but they are funny in that they don't like mashed potatoes, they don't like any of the rings or braids (weird because what kid won't like anything on a crescent roll?) and you are right - they usually don't like any sort of herb or seasoning when they can see it." She also writes that kids' texture preferences can be difficult, and that it can take a
pamperedval
Gold Member
I just filled in my calendar for the next month or so and with all the kids' activities we have a sport or some other event almost every school night. I need some ideas for what to make for dinner that won't take long but will be something a 5 & 7 year old will eat.

What has worked for you all out there? I'd really appreciate any help I can get. I'd love to be able to use power cooking - but even quick, easy single recipes would be welcome.

It would be great to find some that really work for my kids and then I can sell the idea at my upcoming shows...

Thanks!

Bumping...

Isn't there anyone out there that has some good ideas?! I know lots of us could use them!

Thanks!

Maybe it would help if you talked about what your kids don't like.... like how picky are they? Does that mean no chopped parsley on top of food picky or they eat nothing but chicken nuggets and mac n cheese.
I think a little more info and you might get some good tips :)

They are pretty typical kids - but they are funny in that they don't like mashed potatoes, they don't like any of the rings or braids (weird because what kid won't like anything on a crescent roll?) and you are right - they usually don't like any sort of herb or seasoning when they can see it.

Texture is also a problem - like in pasta sauce if the tomatoes or onions are chunky they won't like it.

Does anyone else have kids like this? They do like pasta, cheese, and most other normal kid things.

I was telling them about the BLT mac n' cheese from the 29 min. to dinner cookbook as I figured I would try that this week - they love bacon, macaroni and all kinds of cheeses so I am hoping it will go over well. I have heard good things about it.

I'm open to any and all ideas - I figure eventually they will eat something I cook! At least I'll get a good meal and if they try at least a bite, they can go make themselves a bowl of cereal if they don't like it;)

pamperedval said:
They are pretty typical kids - but they are funny in that they don't like mashed potatoes, they don't like any of the rings or braids (weird because what kid won't like anything on a crescent roll?) and you are right - they usually don't like any sort of herb or seasoning when they can see it.

Texture is also a problem - like in pasta sauce if the tomatoes or onions are chunky they won't like it.

Does anyone else have kids like this? They do like pasta, cheese, and most other normal kid things.

I was telling them about the BLT mac n' cheese from the 29 min. to dinner cookbook as I figured I would try that this week - they love bacon, macaroni and all kinds of cheeses so I am hoping it will go over well. I have heard good things about it.

I'm open to any and all ideas - I figure eventually they will eat something I cook! At least I'll get a good meal and if they try at least a bite, they can go make themselves a bowl of cereal if they don't like it;)
I make my own sauce - spices, chunks, sometimes even shredded zucchini for some veggies in it - and then puree it in the blender. Kids love it because there are no chunks. I love it because I know what is in it. I make a large pot and then freeze it in individual containers (each has enough for two nights). My kids love tacos- easy. I make rice in the oven (takes an hour but only 5 minutes to prepare and they you leave it), that and some chicken and they are happy.We also do breakfast for dinner. Omelets, pancakes w blueberries.Eventually their tastes get more varied but it does take a while.FYI: my son did not like mashed potatoes until I had him help me make it with the pc mix n masher. He was so happy with himself that he tried his finished product and ate it.

I've heard it said that it takes kids 15 exposures to a new food if they are picky, before they will like it. I think the power cooking recipes are "middle of the road". There isn't anything too crazy or weird that requires an acquired taste (unless it is the cilantro for garnish of the tacos) My advice would be to just start with those 5 recipes and work from there. I also really believe in getting kids involved in the kitchen. My kids will eat almost anything, but that is after years of exposing them to new things and always repeating, " Take a taste, that is all I ask. If you don't like what is for dinner, you know where the PB-n-J are. " They sometimes will take me up on making their own sandwich, but for the most part are willing to try something new, and love it.

One of my favorite freezer meals is homemade burritos using the power cooking taco meat and re-fried beans. Allow the filling to cool, then mix it with 2 cans of re-fried beans (season generously if you prefer it, but it sounds like your kids are picky with that). Add cheese and roll into a burrito, repeat 8-10 times depending on the size of the burrito. Lay them out on a sheet pan lined with plastic wrap or parchment. Freeze uncovered 1 1/2 -2 hours. Transfer to a gallon size freezer bag. Microwave 2 minutes from frozen for a quick meal.
At least when I make these, I know that the tortillas are healthy and the filling is lean. A lot better than most pre-frozen store bought burritos.
That's my two cents. Plus they are cheap. Love that!

Mini individual freezer pizzas are a big hit with my kids, as well as twice baked potatoes.

I make the pizza on the pita bread (not pockets) and use a sandwich slice of mozzarella on top of sauce and with veggie toppings (but do pepperoni if you want). I will do 15 or 20, and just stack them 5 at a time with a piece of plastic wrap between each pizza (5 to a gallon size bag). They take 5 minutes under the broiler, or 2 minutes in the microwave.

If your kids won't eat mashed potatoes, they may eat twice baked if they help make them. We call them potato boats. I make mine with added cottage cheese in the potato along with the all purpose dill. You could easily use ranch dressing mix instead of the dill.

Cottage-Dill Stuffed Potato Shells

12 baking potatoes, scrubbed, baked 1 hour and cooled

½ cup chopped green onions(omit if they are picky about this too)

8 oz tub low fat cottage cheese

1 ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese

6 strips crumbled bacon

2 T All Purpose Dill Mix (guess which brand I use?)

Directions: cut potatoes in half, lengthwise and remove pulp leaving ¼ inch in shell, put potato pulp and all remaining ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well blended. Heap filling back into shells and place on a parchment paper lined sheet pan. Freeze. When frozen, transfer individual potatoes into gallon size freezer bags. Label with date and these directions “ 2-3 minutes in the microwave for 2 sin servings, or bake 400° on a sheet pan 25-30 minutes until golden brown. “ Excellent with BBQ chicken or pork,

I hope that gives you some ideas. I will probably be back with more in a little while.

Last edited:
Thank you Stephanie!

I really appreciate your input... Now we'll see if they'll eat it - I know I'm hungry just reading about this stuff!

Another fun one is taco cups.
I use the taco filling for these too. You take biscuit dough, store bought or home made from scratch. It would take 1 pk (12 biscuits) of the premade stuff. Roll out the biscuit in a circle, about 4 inches across, and then put it in a muffin pan, as you would making a cup with the biscuits. Fill 1/2 way with taco filling. Repeat. until all are full. Top each cup with a sprinkle of cheese and bake 425 for 12-15 minutes. To serve top with whatever taco stuff you like, tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream. Once baked, these can be cooled and frozen indevidually as well. Microwave 2 minutes. Top with taco stuff, same as if you baked it and ate it right away.

--Chip chicken--
crush up favorite chips
and bread chicken breast-
bake--etc=)

1. How can I get my picky kids to eat healthier foods?

One great idea is to incorporate more veggies into their favorite dishes. For example, puree vegetables and add them to sauces or soups, or make zucchini noodles instead of regular pasta. This way, they're still getting the nutrients they need without even realizing it.

2. How can I save time while cooking for my picky kids?

One time-saving tip is to meal prep ahead of time. Spend a few hours on the weekend prepping ingredients or even cooking full meals that can be easily reheated during the week. Also, consider using kitchen tools like a slow cooker or instant pot to make meals with minimal effort.

3. My kids only want to eat junk food. How can I introduce healthier options?

Try incorporating healthier ingredients into their favorite junk foods. For example, make homemade pizza with whole wheat crust and top it with lots of veggies. Or, make a healthier version of chicken nuggets by coating chicken in almond flour and baking instead of frying. This way, they still get to enjoy their favorite foods but with added nutrition.

4. How can I get my picky kids involved in the cooking process?

One fun idea is to let them help with meal planning. Ask them what they would like to eat for the week and involve them in the grocery shopping and cooking process. This can help them feel more invested in the meals and more likely to try new things.

5. My picky kids refuse to eat certain foods. What can I do?

Try offering a variety of options, even if they are similar. For example, if your child refuses to eat broccoli, try offering steamed broccoli, roasted broccoli, and broccoli in a casserole dish. Sometimes, it takes multiple exposures to a food for a child to develop a taste for it. Also, try not to pressure or force your child to eat something they don't like, as this can create negative associations with food.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • 1PamperedMommy
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefa
  • magentablue
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies