• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Planning for a Huge Fair on Feb. 2Nd - Advice Appreciated!

who was selling a TON of stuff! Focus on what you're good at and don't try to be everything to everyone.
bypamperedchef
Hi everyone!

I am gearing up for a huge fair in February 08. It is a grand opening of an indoor kids complex which will have a coffee shop, indoor play area (kind of like gymboree type of equipment) and some boutique shops as well.

I've already paid my table and ad fees, but now I'm trying to concentrate on getting some cash and carry items. I did a fair in October and the C&C items I had just did not sell (easy openers, small spatulas, scoop clips, hold n slice and SB books). I had a couple of "wrapped and ready" type of gift sets made up (mostly with discontinued items, plus little things like mini whippers, catalog, spatula with a bar board inside of a stoneware crock) and those sold "ok" but not fantastically well.

So I'd like to have some other C&C items on hand, but what!! Is there a secret list out there somewhere that people use to stock their tables??

I'm also going to try to pare down my gear (I bring WAY too much to shows) and make some nice 'vignette' style displays, maybe one 'baking themed' and a 'food prep' one...

i'm entirely open here - I know I'll be buying a ton of mini catalogs already (this vendor requires a 500 piece giveaway that is NOT a business card) but I want to make up the $$ by doing some GREAT C&C sales...oh yea, and booking up some shows would be sweet too :)

Thanks in advance :D:chef:

I've had decent luck at a couple of recent fairs with the SA mug cake mixes.

MIX: combine 1 standard cake mix (18 oz.) with 1 4-serving size (3 oz.) instant pudding mix. Mix well. Measure 1/2 cup portions into plastic bags and seal.
DIRECTIONS: Combine 1 pouch mix with 1 egg, 1 tablespoon water and 1 tablespoon oil in Simple Additions Mug. Mix well. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute or until cake reaches desired doneness. For extra richness, put 1 tablespoon preprared frosting on top of batter before microwaving.

I got some mugs in November when they were on sale, and put 2 pouches of mix into each one, a chocolate and something else (lemon with lemon; spice with pumpkin spice; or cherry chip with cheesecake). Each pouch of mix had a tag with directions on it. I wrapped each mug in Christmas cellophane and tied a small bamboo spoon into the bow. I sold them for $15, and most people were OK with that. You could totally make some up and put them in Valentine cellophane, and market them as romantic cake for 2. People liked them for college students, too, as most have access to a microwave and are always looking for snacks.

You could probably order some of the SA heart bowls in January and take them, either empty or with cookies (or the cranberry crunch bark!) in them.

As a general rule, I try not to take too much C&C to fairs, just because I hate having my money tied up in inventory. And no matter what you take, people seem to want other things. :rolleyes: My usual C&C listing has SBRCs (current and whatever old ones I have around), Quickut knives, iSlice, Mix n Chop (sold 4 at my 2 fairs this month), RUFTH trivets, and a couple of seasonings. If people want something I don't have, I take an order. (And if you do that, you'll get double points, too!)

I just did a fair and sold a ton of mix n chops! HTH Good Luck!

I just have a question...not a judgement...just a question :)

Do you feel like you have to have C&C? Did someone tell you to have it? If I were you I wouldn't bother with it. It just means more stuff to carry and try to display & More upfront money!

I would focus like you are planning ot do on little vignettes. By February, you might have any SAT pieces to promote Spring bookings. Not to mention a cookware and stoneware display. Try to focus on the helpful tools as well. I try to focus on bookings and recruits more than sales at an event. That's just me. Work your business the way you want to, but keep in mind that we should try to be working smarter and not harder.

No judgements taken :)I don't feel judged at all, I appreciate your input.The last vendor fair I did, all people did was ask me if they could buy this or that from my displays. I had no stock of anything much besides little filler things that I was using for door prizes and such.I felt extremely inadequate and ill-prepared next to a Tastefully Simple rep who had at least 2-3 of their most popular products, plus alot of their seasonal items. She sold TONS - probably $300 worth of product. That was great considering it was a teeny tiny event.I just wanted to walk into this event feeling like I did everything to draw folks in and encourage them to stay a little and chat (oh yea and book a show, buy something and become a consultant too :) ).For that last event I was smart and gave away a gift certificate for $30 worth of ingredients for a Cooking show. It was great - the person who won booked her show immediately and we've been in touch a couple times since. Her show is Jan 12th... I DEFINITELY plan to do the same thing again, and I've seen other folks on here who just call all the DPS contacts and tell them they won a free show or something to that effect - that really inspires me to do the same!!I actually had someone who wanted to buy a $100 gift certificate for a wedding they were attending the next day - I was smart again and gave her my card, told her to go to the site and order it, and she could print out the receipt to put in a card for the bride - and SHE DID! I was in shock. She also came back to my site a week or so later and placed a small order. So now I know that the DPS are JUST as valuable as selling merchandise.I've heard now from 3-4 people that the Mix 'n Chop is a hot item at fairs, so I will get a few of those - and I REALLY love the SA mug/mix idea. I'm rather crafty, so that's right up my alley.Seriously, I'm still green (only been a consultant since april) and I really appreciate feeling like I have people I can turn to, and I love all of the different points of view here - its a fantastic forum since I'm sort of isolated - I dont have a local cluster because my director is in SC (she recruited me long distance - she's good!) and I know no directors up here in MA.Anyhow - that long ramble really translates to "Thanks and keep the ideas coming!"Bridget

Last edited:
Just wanted to update - I'm getting frustrated with the hosts of this particular event. It seems that they keep upping the requirements for us for the event. For example, we were supposed to have tables/chairs and now we have to bring our own. We had to have 500 pieces of 'something' to put into their giveaway bags. We had to donate a raffle prize. We now also are being asked to donate a special gift to the first 30 families who arrive. I'm going to buy a bunch of the heart dishes and make those up into Valentine gifts, the SA mugs are on the expensive side right now. I might do some chocolates in them, wrapped in cello with a bow/trim.I just hope there's no snow storm and that there's a lot of foot traffic, otherwise this is going to be a huge bust.Also - I thought we only had table space, but now the organizer says we have a 10x10 space, and if we needed a tent we could set one up. I dont need one, and I dont think it would enhance anything for my setup, but what on earth can I do with a whole 10x10 space? I have one 6ft table, and a smaller 4x2 table, but my husband said he wouldnt be too upset if I bought another table. If I did that I'd have a nice L-shaped spot.Should I make an area with catalogs, pens, and order forms and a couple chairs?
Should I make some sort of food? I did that at my fair in Oct. and it didnt really seem to draw anyone in. i DID however make the cranberry lime fizz and people really liked that, especially the kids, so I'm going to do that again.Its now officially less than a month away, so i'm starting to feel the crunch!

Are you giving heart dishes as the gift for the 30 families? That's expensive! An SBRC wrapped up with a mini serving spatula would be half the price.Have you considered contacting the organizers and telling them that you haven't budgeted for gifts on top of the goodie bag items?

Oh NO definitely not doing the heart dishes as a gift! I did a postcard with my contact info stapled to either a citrus peeler or a quickut knife x30 total.I did talk to the organizer, and I'm getting a worse feel every time I do. Today was our first look at the facility and to be honest I thought it was a pit and it has a LONG way to go before it's ready on feb 2nd (well, Feb 1 for set up actually). Now she's saying its doubtful I'd get a space with electricity even though I was one of the first people signed up and paid, and that if I want it I would probably be put in a 'side room' with a few other vendors, but not in the main hall. Um, no thanks. I really wanted the power so I could use my laptop and printer instead of handwriting receipts/forms. I guess I can live with out it, but its just frustrating how it keeps getting worse.They are expecting at least 500 families though, so I keep trying to focus on that and hope that I get LOTS of leads!Thanks for letting me vent!The heart dishes I planned as a C&C item, along with some other misc items I have left from the LAST fair I did and I'm going to bring a couple extra mix n chops to sell too.

Hello Bridget-
I live in Fitchburg, MA. Where is this fair you are talking about? I know there is a Kids Expo on Feb 2nd in Worcester also. (Unless it is the same one)
My director is out of Mendon, but the meetings we have every month are either in Franklin or Hopkinton. I think those are not to far from you if you ever want to go to a meeting.
Good luck!

Since it is a Kids facility, the kids' apron set is VERY cheap on the outlet. You might want to get some of those for C&C or at least one to display then you can direct them to your website. You could also take/display the kids cookbook & maybe even some of the recipes from it to draw attention. The mouse cupcakes are adorable & the caterpillar pizza is really cute too.

You might even set up part of your 10X10 space as an entertainment area for kids while you are talking to parents. Garlic press makes cool play-dough hair, baker's roller helps roll it flat, creative cutters make fun shapes ( & don't have sharp edges), can strainer & funnels are cool with sand or water. USE YOUR IMAGINATION!!

Focus on kid-friendly selling points for adults: smooth-edge can opener, cut 'n seal, apple wedger, quick-stir pitchers, medium scoop (for cookies), micro-cookers, etc.

Best of luck!

I don't make food at expos. I do have a lot of cnc and sell a ton! I'm always one of the most popular booths and I tend to get orders and bookings as well (just has a bridal shower today from a November booth and got 2 bookings from that! whoohoo!). As for popular items. Mix n Chops (always sell out of them), mini serv spat, sb, quikut sets and twix its. I have others, but those seems to always sell. It also does depend on the time of year. Just before Christmas, cinnamon, scoops & batter bowls sell!Is there an issue selling food? I want to do the sa cups thing too, but hesitate b/c of food. I did give them out as hostess gifts for the Christmas parties we had this year (family/friends, not shows). Just an idea for a gift. A $5 or $10 gift certificate may actually be a good option b/c it either gets people to contact you or you don't lose any money. Good luck!!

I like the gift certificate idea too. I ALWAYS donate a gift certificate to silent auctions and such espcially if it part of your booth fee. I make them up on my computer (I use Print Master) and put an expiration date of about 30-60 days out and state it must be used through me with my contact phone # and PWS on it. Use a $5 (or $10 if your'e rich) one for each of the 30 families. Most likely some of them WILL go to your website or call you with an order OVER the $5.00. That's what to hope for.

What kind of products should I sell at the fair?

Consider selling versatile and popular products such as kitchen tools and gadgets, baking mixes, and cookware sets. These products appeal to a wide range of customers and are easy to demonstrate and sell at a fair.

How should I set up my booth at the fair?

Make sure your booth is eye-catching and well-organized. Use tablecloths, banners, and decorations to attract attention. Arrange your products in an appealing and accessible way, and have plenty of samples and catalogs available for customers to browse.

What promotional materials should I bring to the fair?

Bring business cards, brochures, and catalogs to hand out to potential customers. You can also offer special discounts or promotions for fair attendees to encourage sales.

What are some tips for engaging with customers at the fair?

Be approachable and friendly, and engage customers in conversation about your products. Offer samples and demonstrations to showcase the quality and functionality of your products. Be knowledgeable about your products and able to answer any questions customers may have.

How can I follow up with potential customers after the fair?

Collect contact information from interested customers and follow up with them after the fair. You can send them a thank-you email or card, as well as information about upcoming promotions or events. Stay connected with them through social media or a mailing list to keep them updated on new products and offers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pcdiva
Replies
Views
chefloretta
  • dwyerkim
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
tlennhoff