• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Oval Baker vs Deep Dish Baker: Which Suits Your Pampered Chef Needs Better?

In summary, the old vanilla oval baker is on its last leg and you should either get the cranberry oval before they are discontinued or the deep dish baker (one of the only stones I don't have already). The cranberry oval will hold 8 cups and the deep dish baker will hold 7 cups. The oval baker has handles and the deep dish baker does not. The cranberry oval is likely to be discontinued and the deep dish baker is not. The oval baker is more personal preference regarding the shape and how it looks while the deep dish baker is more about the recipes that you can make in it. The decision is tough because you love the old oval baker but the cranberry oval might be discontinued and the deep dish baker might be
pamperedval
Gold Member
I have a really old vanilla oval baker that I love - but it is on its last legs. I am wondering if I should get the cranberry oval before they are discontinued or if I should get the deep dish baker (one of the only stones I don't have already)

Can you guys tell me what you would do? Is there much difference in what you can make in them or is it more personal preference regarding the shape and how it looks?

I need to send in my August show today and have to decide what to do.

Thanks for any input and also for letting me know what recipes you do in these stones!

I don't have either, so I am no help! LOL!

Deb - I'm shocked!

Love, love, love my DDB! This was one of my first stones, and still most often grabbed.Recipes:
Touch Down Taco Dip of Course!
Almost anything in the bar pan in smaller portions
Chicken
Rings (1/2 of what I'd make on a lg. round stone)
Pizza

See that is what I am trying to figure out too!
A friend has the oval baker and she uses that one to make her touchdown taco dip.
But I think the DDB holds 8 cups and the oval only holds 7 cups.
And I like the handles on the oval baker, and I already have the small in cranberry, so if I got the oval baker it would match my small one.......
but the DDB I can get a lid for on the outlet right now.....
ARGH!!!!!!!!! Decisions, decisions!!!!!!!!

pamperedval said:
Deb - I'm shocked!

Maybe I'll have to figure out a way to get a DDB in November. Or quick order an Oval Baker now (or wait for it to appear on the outlet :))

I can't decide because I do the touchdown taco dip in the oval and I have the small one (although in vanilla - love the small oval because it goes in the toaster oven and I wish they didn't retire it!)But I digress... I figure you can do pretty much the same stuff in either one - and I like the oval shape - but wonder if I should get the DDB in case someone wants to use it for a show or to see it before buying one. I won't be able to sell the oval, so should I pass on it for something I can market later?

I use my DDB much more than the oval. Personally, I would order the cranberry DDB because it's still in the catalog. Gives you another stone you could show.

And, I would probably wait until November to get it so you can get the sale price for it.

But then you love your oval baker so you could get it now while you can and get the DDB in November on sale...

Big help, I know! :rolleyes:

pamperedval said:
I have a really old vanilla oval baker that I love - but it is on its last legs. QUOTE]

How is a stone on it's last leg?? :eek:

I've only used the DDB for one recipe (peach cherry cobbler or something). I got the hunter green when it was on the outlet.
I own the oval but have never used it! :eek: again!!

Last edited:
I have never used my oval baker either. I have the deep dish baker in vanilla and I use that for lots of different things.

Plus w/ dips in the microwave the DDB will turn easily on a turn-table.

The round stone (DDB) cooks more evenly in the microwave and fits more microwaves than an oval one would. I think the oval shape is one that our mothers/grandmothers were used to. I would bet that they have been selling less and less of those in recent years.

It is looking old because the vanilla glaze is getting stained and one of the handles was a bit thinner and is somehow curving and just doesn't look as nice as the newer design with a thicker, straight edge on the handle.

I guess looks don't really matter as long as it still works...

The reason I am debating all this now is because I'm sending in an August show that I hosted and I can get one or the other for free with my host benefits. I probably don't need them both - so I'm having an internal struggle!

Also - it doesn't help me with the turntable in the microwave because mine doesn't have one!

For some reason I always grab my Oval Baker before the DDB. I really don't know why. Maybe I am more attracted to the oval shape??

pamperedval said:
It is looking old because the vanilla glaze is getting stained and one of the handles was a bit thinner and is somehow curving and just doesn't look as nice as the newer design with a thicker, straight edge on the handle.

I guess looks don't really matter as long as it still works...

The reason I am debating all this now is because I'm sending in an August show that I hosted and I can get one or the other for free with my host benefits. I probably don't need them both - so I'm having an internal struggle!

Also - it doesn't help me with the turntable in the microwave because mine doesn't have one!

Is it under 3 years old? Contact HO about a replacement if it is.

I think I want the oval too but not sure. Glad you started this post. It will be interesting to see what everyone thinks.

kam said:
For some reason I always grab my Oval Baker before the DDB. I really don't know why. Maybe I am more attracted to the oval shape??

I think the oval says "casserol".... maybe that's why...??
I'm just making stuff up as I go... LOL

I got it when I hosted a show in 2000 - so it is definitely past warranty stage.

I think I'm drawn to the oval shape too - but I wonder if I should be practical and get one that is still in the catalog...

When Beth says that oval is what our mothers/grandmothers used, perhaps that's why we might prefer that one. I am sure my mother always used an oval dish for casseroles - so that is probably what I grew up with. And yes, oval says casserole to me!

At home I always grab the Oval - but for shows I find myself bringing the DDB (since more recipes I demo call for the DDB rather than the oval).

Oh, and I DID buy an extra Oval Baker last month when I saw it was retiring! Just in case mine should ever break! lol

I love them both. But then, the only piece of stoneware I have that I never use is....hmmm, thinking...thinking...

I thought there was a piece I didn't use, but I guess not!:eek::D

Oh wait! I have the discontinued mini fluted pan - earned it when it was new, and it's still in the box. There! I KNEW there was a stone I didn't use. I haven't used the med. round with handles yet either - but just give me time!

I use my oval baker for side dish casseroles, and roasted veggies and also some smaller main dish casseroles.

I use my ddb for cheesy potatoes (since I discovered I can do them in the microwave in that!) and for cinnamon rolls and cobblers and crisps. I have it int the glazed and unglazed....but I tend to reach for the unglazed more often. But I guess that's not an option any more is it?:rolleyes:

ChefBeckyD said:
I use my ddb for cheesy potatoes (since I discovered I can do them in the microwave in that!) and for cinnamon rolls and cobblers and crisps. I have it int the glazed and unglazed....but I tend to reach for the unglazed more often. But I guess that's not an option any more is it?:rolleyes:

What is your recipe for Cheesy Potatoes in the Microwave??? I do them in the oven - but they take over an hour!

I would like the cheesy potato recipe too please!

Also - what show recipes are you guys doing that require the DDB?

I think at this point I'm leaning towards getting the oval for now just so I have it - I know I'll use it and I should get it while I can. But I am thinking of getting the DDB too. Maybe in November or with my FPV from my September show...

So what's the difference between the DDB and the rectangle baker? I have the rectangle baker and wonder if I can use that for recipes that call for the DDB.

What is the difference between an Oval Baker and a Deep Dish Baker?

The main difference between an Oval Baker and a Deep Dish Baker is their shape and size. An Oval Baker is typically longer and narrower, while a Deep Dish Baker is shorter and wider. This means that they are best suited for different types of dishes. Oval Bakers are great for roasting meats and vegetables, while Deep Dish Bakers are perfect for casseroles and desserts.

Can I use an Oval Baker in place of a Deep Dish Baker?

It is not recommended to use an Oval Baker in place of a Deep Dish Baker. Because of their different sizes and shapes, the cooking time and temperature may vary. It's best to follow a recipe specifically designed for the type of baker you are using to ensure the best results.

What materials are Oval Bakers and Deep Dish Bakers made of?

Both Oval Bakers and Deep Dish Bakers are typically made of stoneware or ceramic material. These materials are known for their durability and ability to evenly distribute heat, making them ideal for baking and cooking.

Do Oval Bakers and Deep Dish Bakers require any special care or maintenance?

To ensure the longevity of your Oval Baker or Deep Dish Baker, it is recommended to hand wash them with warm soapy water. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or metal utensils on the surface, as this can cause damage. Additionally, it is important to let the bakers cool completely before cleaning or placing them in the dishwasher.

Can Oval Bakers and Deep Dish Bakers be used in the microwave?

Yes, both Oval Bakers and Deep Dish Bakers are safe to use in the microwave. However, it is important to check the manufacturer's guidelines to ensure the specific baker you are using is microwave-safe. Additionally, it is not recommended to use metal utensils or cookware in the microwave, so be sure to use microwave-safe utensils when using these bakers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Chefgirl2
  • chefmoseley
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • leftymac