• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Out of Town Show-What Can I Claim?

In summary, when traveling for work, you can claim 50% of your expenses for food, lodging, and any business-related activities (like meeting with your team).
lisacb77
I am doing a show out of town (3.5 hrs away in the next state) for a friend's sister next month. I did one for the friend last year, just drove there and back in one day, so obviously claimed mileage, tolls, etc.

This time, DH and I are going to make it a weekend trip and take advantage of the chance to see old friends there and get out of the city for a night.

So what can I claim? I know the mileage and tolls between my house and show location. We are staying overnight, can I claim hotel or not because a trip back and forth in a day is possible (even thought difficult)? What about meals? Obviously not for DH but for me?

TIA.

ClaimI would think you could claim hotel, even if you could go home the same day, you don't have to. And meals for yourself is a definite yes. I would also claim any maps needed for the trip, phone calls made to the host (long distance) and don't forget door prizes! I usually don't just give PC items!

Debbie :D

Yes you can claim the hotel because your own a business trip.

I'm pretty sure you can only claim 50% of meals, unless they are paid with giftcards. Then you can claim 100%.

supergirljennie said:
I'm pretty sure you can only claim 50% of meals, unless they are paid with giftcards. Then you can claim 100%.

I think she can claim all of her meals, but not her DH's. Why would gift cards make a difference? :confused: Just wondering.

Meals: You claim the whole thing but when doing taxes you only get credit for 50% (probably because you have to eat anyway). If you buy a gift certificate to the restaurant you claim it as a business expense and because you don't EAT the GC the whole thing counts.

You can claim your expenses on any trip you make for business.

When we travel to TX I always have a meeting with my team there and sometimes have a show while I'm there. Because I am also going to spend a few days with family there I choose to claim only half of the travel expenses but that's just me.

I do not claim my meals on those trips unless they are with people I am discussing PC with.

I know I am very conservative but that's how I do it.

Good question, thanks for asking Lisa. I've got a similar situation. Next month we're going to Florida for the big Air Show in Lakeland. We're staying with my family about an hour from there and I'm doing a PC show for them. I was wondering if I should expense all of the miles or not.

Linda, I would and while you are there.....make sure to hand out business cards.....that will make it that much more of a "business trip".

I read somewhere that in order to claim it as a business trip, you have to do a business related activity every day. So if you drive there on Friday, you might shop for ingridients or drop by the hosts house to discuss details. Then, Saturday is the show. Sunday might be the day that you travel home or close the show. I stayed at my moms for a week so I wrote down everything I did each day that was related to the show I had during the time I was there.

Also, when I did my TurboTax file this year, it gave a big section on business meals. It said it was one of the most highly viewed areas by the IRS so make sure you document everything and don't try to fudge cause they really pay attention. Have fun.

Wouldn't your driving to the area where the show is being held count as your business activity for the day? I did this last month (and will be doing it next month) going out of state for a show. I will be driving 350 miles Friday, do the show Saturday and drive home Sunday. The meals that I personally eat on the drive there and back I put in my expenses and claim on my taxes because it is business related. Say for example I eat out with someone after the show and it's not Pampered Chef related, i don't claim that meal. Like if you are going out to dinner with family or something.

BethCooks4U said:
Meals: You claim the whole thing but when doing taxes you only get credit for 50% (probably because you have to eat anyway). If you buy a gift certificate to the restaurant you claim it as a business expense and because you don't EAT the GC the whole thing counts.

See, I knew there was a reason.

Thanks all, this is super helpful! I think I will claim the hotel. Since it's my second trip to the area it would be believable that it was too tough the first time so I stayed over the second!

As for biz activities I am driving there and doing show Saturday, and driving home Sunday so that should work.

I will probably claim my lunch en route but maybe not dinner since we'll be spending it with friends. Beth I am conservative too! Definitely not DH's food, he's not there for business and not even attending the show :)

Thanks all!!

I think it also depends on your accountant. My accountant wouldn't even claim my laptop because its not "required" for PC. But she says I can claim every single mile related to PC even if its to go to office max to buy a pen I use in my business. My meals on the road related to PC can count as well as hotel expenses. My accountant is very conservative (like me) and I'd rather have a conservative accountant and be safe with the IRS.

I was wondering about this too. Awhile back I posted a thread asking about what to take for a show where I'll have to fly to get there. I'm actually going for another reason, but I'm going to do a demo and show for my friends. Would I be able to claim all the airline miles, or just my car mileage to and from the airport? Also, I'm going to be renting a car there... will I be able to claim that too?

See I think it depends on you and your accountant. If you have a more liberal accountant they would probably say claim everything, but I know my accountant would say I couldn't claim everything because I am going for other reasons than business. But I could claim everything related to PC business while I was there. I would talk to your accountant if you have one.

When I go to conference I can claim everything though, which is real nice.

That's a good one Melody, would love to know too as I may do a show when I visit a friend in OH in May. I am leaning against claiming that as my show would be one day of a 7 day trip for fun...but any expenses I spend up there on the show like ingredients and if I ship items to demo I would definitely count. I think it depends on if the trip is mostly business or fun.

Related to Out of Town Show-What Can I Claim?

1. What expenses can I claim for the Out of Town Show?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, you can claim expenses for travel, lodging, meals, and transportation related to the Out of Town Show. This includes airfare, hotel accommodations, meals during the show, and any transportation costs such as rental car or taxi fees.

2. How do I submit my expenses for the Out of Town Show?

You can submit your expenses for the Out of Town Show by filling out the appropriate form provided by Pampered Chef. This form will require you to list all expenses incurred during the trip and provide receipts as proof of payment.

3. Can I claim expenses for my spouse or children who will be accompanying me on the trip?

No, expenses for family members or guests cannot be claimed for the Out of Town Show. Only expenses directly related to your participation in the show can be claimed.

4. Is there a limit to the amount I can claim for the Out of Town Show?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount you can claim for the Out of Town Show. This limit varies depending on your consultant level and will be outlined in the expense submission form.

5. When should I submit my expenses for the Out of Town Show?

You should submit your expenses for the Out of Town Show as soon as possible after the show has ended. This will ensure that your expenses are properly accounted for and you can receive reimbursement in a timely manner.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pc_momof3
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • wadesgirl
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • jenniferp417