• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tax Deduction for Driving to Shows with DH

In summary, Rita says that she can deduct mileage to shows, as her place of business is her home. She plans to call her accountant to double check this information.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
What do you think about this? DH and I work together and ride together on most days. On the days that I have a show closer to work than home, we drive our own cars. On the days that I drive to work alone so that I can get to a show after work, can I write off the mileage to work? Technically if I went home with DH and drove from home, I could count the entire mileage to and from the host's house. This does happen a couple times a month and does require us to drive the 35 mile trip one way while following each other!

It might be well for you to check with a tax accountant if it happens that often. My understanding is that we cannot count the miles to and from
a party, but could count grocery shopping miles, trips to the post office,
bank, and to deliver an order to a hostess or private individual you have taken an order from.

Does anyone have documentation from the IRS instructions you could copy and send us?

I always deduct the miles to and from shows. I think that has to do with if you claim part of your home as your office. You can't claim that you work primarily from your home and at your shows... I think.

I'd check with an accountant about the mileage to work. My initial thought is that you can deduct the round-trip from home to the host's house, although that might be stretching it, too. You might be eligible to deduct only mileage from work to the host's, and then from the host's to your home. Rita- we can claim mileage to shows, since our place of business is our home and going to a show is like going to a non-usual work location.

chefann said:
I'd check with an accountant about the mileage to work. My initial thought is that you can deduct the round-trip from home to the host's house, although that might be stretching it, too. You might be eligible to deduct only mileage from work to the host's, and then from the host's to your home.

Rita- we can claim mileage to shows, since our place of business is our home and going to a show is like going to a non-usual work location.
That's what I have been doing so far but this month I'll have 3 shows that require DH and I to drive seperate.

The issue is that you can't deduct mileage from your home to your usual place of work. So you would be stretching it to deduct the mileage from home to work, even if you're going to a show straight from work - unless the show is past work (compared to home). The fact that you usually car pool doesn't come into play.

chefann said:
The issue is that you can't deduct mileage from your home to your usual place of work. So you would be stretching it to deduct the mileage from home to work, even if you're going to a show straight from work - unless the show is past work (compared to home). The fact that you usually car pool doesn't come into play.
I figured that much but got to thinking about it yesterday. I might call the accountant who did my taxes last year and ask him. I seem to be having more shows like this lately!

What is the tax deduction for driving to shows with my spouse?

The tax deduction for driving to shows with your spouse is based on the mileage rate set by the IRS. For 2021, the standard mileage rate is 56 cents per mile.

Do I need to keep track of my mileage for shows I attend with my spouse?

Yes, you will need to keep a record of the mileage driven for shows with your spouse in order to claim the tax deduction. This can include a mileage log or using a mileage tracking app.

Can I claim the full mileage rate for driving to shows with my spouse?

No, you can only claim the portion of the mileage that is related to your business. For example, if you and your spouse drove a total of 100 miles for a show and 50 of those miles were for personal errands, you can only claim the deduction for the 50 business-related miles.

Are there any restrictions on claiming the tax deduction for driving to shows with my spouse?

Yes, the primary purpose of the trip must be for business purposes. This means that if you and your spouse take a detour for personal reasons or stop for personal errands, you cannot claim the mileage for those portions of the trip.

What documentation do I need to provide for the tax deduction for driving to shows with my spouse?

You will need to keep a record of the dates, locations, and business purpose of each trip. This can include a mileage log, receipts for gas or tolls, or other documentation that supports the business use of the trip.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • Yakmama
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • jenniferp417