• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Saving Money: (Later) Track Your Mileage!

In summary, it is recommended to keep a mileage book in your car and record the mileage and purpose of any business-related trips. However, it is important to not abuse this and only claim legitimate business-related mileage to avoid potential audits. Additionally, mileage can also be claimed for charitable activities. It is advised to research the rules and speak with a tax advisor for more details. This can be especially beneficial for business owners and those with high deductible plans who frequently drive long distances for medical appointments.
esavvymom
Staff member
Be sure to have a mileage book in your car.
Whenever you drive anywhere, if it is for business, record the mileage and the purpose of the trip. I would caution about ABUSING this, ie don't claim going to the post office for stamps/shipping, and then drive an additional 30 miles and include it as business. You can set yourself up for an audit that could get ugly (especially since IRS is cracking down on home-businesses apparently).

Since my business is low, I mostly track my cluster meetings and specific business trips- like to a show, host meeting, etc. But at an average of 55 cents a mile (varies each year, and sometimes through out the year).

ALSO - if you are involved in a charity in someway, you may be able to claim mileage there too! We are Cub Scout leaders. We log our miles, plus I go back and use our calendar for the year showing all of our meetings and activities. I then enter the trip into Google Maps to calculate the miles based on the routes I take. Charity miles are around 14 cents per mile. This pretty much covers my gas expense.

This will help on your tax returns. (As with anything with taxes, research the rules or talk to your tax advisor for the details. Google "IRS Mileage deductions" and you'll likely get what you need.)

Also if you have long distances to drive for medical appointments it could work out for you. Especially with the new high deductible plans.

Great advice! Keeping a mileage book is definitely important for any business owner or anyone who frequently drives for work purposes. It's always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to taxes and avoiding any potential audits. And it's great to know that there are opportunities to claim mileage for charitable activities as well. Thanks for sharing your experience and tips!

1. How can I track my mileage for work-related trips?

There are several ways to track your mileage for work-related trips. You can use a mileage tracking app on your phone, keep a logbook in your car, or use an online mileage tracking tool. These methods will help you accurately track your mileage and make it easier to report for reimbursement or tax purposes.

2. Is tracking my mileage really worth the effort?

Yes, tracking your mileage can help you save money in the long run. It can help you accurately report your mileage for tax deductions, reimbursements, or even negotiate a higher salary if you use your personal vehicle for work frequently. It is also a good way to keep track of your expenses and budget for gas and vehicle maintenance.

3. Can I track my mileage for personal trips as well?

Yes, you can track your mileage for both work-related and personal trips. However, it is important to keep accurate records and only report the mileage used for work-related trips for tax and reimbursement purposes. You may also want to consider using a separate tracking method for personal trips to avoid confusion.

4. Are there any tools or resources available to help me track my mileage?

Yes, there are many tools and resources available to help you track your mileage. Some popular options include MileIQ, Everlance, and QuickBooks Self-Employed. These tools offer features such as automatic mileage tracking, expense categorization, and detailed reports to make tracking your mileage easier and more efficient.

5. Can I track my mileage if I use multiple vehicles for work?

Yes, you can track your mileage even if you use multiple vehicles for work. You can use the same tracking method for each vehicle or use a separate tracking method for each vehicle and combine the data for reporting purposes. Just make sure to keep accurate records and only report the mileage used for work-related trips.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • wadesgirl
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
esavvymom
Replies