• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ouch... Made Phone Call to Someone Who Couldn't Remember Me

In summary, someone you met at a show does not necessarily remember you. You should make sure you jog their memory by introducing yourself and telling them what you are doing.
cheflorraine
Gold Member
Ouch...
I'm just making phone calls to follow up with my mystery host email, which I sent out to quite a few people on my contact list.
So I called a lady I had met at a craft fair last November, who is on my monthly newsletter list (but I just started regular newsletters in May). I asked her if she got my email about the Mystery Host show, and she couldn't remember seeing it, so I asked her if she wanted me to explain it to her. So I did, and then she basically told me that she had no idea why I was calling her in the first place (so then I quickly had to backtrack and explain that we had met at the craft fair, which I should have done right away).
I asked her if I should take her off my monthly recipe mailing - and got a yes to that... she's basically not interested in hearing from me again, period.
She was nice about it all, but it still feels a little bit like a slap in the face, and rather decreases my motivation for making phone calls...

Has anyone had something like this happen to them?? Maybe then I can stop feeling so dumb!! :eek:

(Hugs). I've actually had someone tell me that she never wants to hear from me because I was rude to her in the halls at work. I'm not good with faces, and apparently I didn't recognize her at work following a show, didn't greet her, and she took that as me being rude. Bless and release.

That being said, when I make calls, especially to people I don't keep in regular contact with, I start the conversation with "Hi, this is Noora, The Pampered Chef Lady. We met at __________________." It tips them off right away as to who I am.

I would say that anyone you meet at vendor booths is likely going to have difficulty remembering you. The reality is they meet a TON of people at fairs and probably enter every drawing they pass by. So definitely don't take it personally!

You learned that on the next call you'll give them a little memory jogger in your intro and then tell them your current offer. And me personally, I don't think I'd even put out there the idea of being removed from your email list UNLESS they were outright telling you they wanted no contact whatsoever. A lot of people don't mind indirect contact (like email) but don't want direct contact (like phone calls). Quite honestly I'm one of those people. I hate phone calls from people, I hate being caught off guard, especially because I dislike feeling rude and having to turn people down LOL

Pick up the phone and call someone that you met at a show that will likely remember at least attending the show if not you personally and then you won't have to feel so negative!

Lorraine, when WE don't know who you are, then you should worry.

RMDave said:
Lorraine, when WE don't know who you are, then you should worry.

Thanks for that!! :)
I'm just a little addicted to this site... I'm needing to set my timer to try to avoid spending way too much time here (and using the excuse of calling this 'work').

On the plus side though, the very first person that responded to my mystery host email was also someone I met at a fair about a year ago, and I completely could not remember who she was. Thankfully I had kept the door prize slip she had filled out, where I had jotted down that she had wanted a party last July/Aug (which never happened), so that helped as a little memory jogger...

Thanks for the encouragement! This will go down as a learning (and humbling) experience!

As distinctive as I tend to be, there are still people who don't remember me. It's natural. And, yes, I've had people say that they'd rather not hear from me again. It's not a fun thing, but I try to remember how full my own inbox gets. If they aren't big PC fans I'm probably more junk mail than valued resource.

I had a guest at Saturday's show go on & on about how many great ideas I gave her when she met me at (then listed the place & month of a booth I was working when we met). Apparently we chatted for quite some time & I had ZERO recollection of her face. Usually, faces stick with me. It's just the names I have a hard time recalling. But I'd have never know that I spoke to this woman if she hadn't have mentioned it. She knew my name, but she does get my monthly e-mail newsletters, so that probably helped! LOL

I've been known to walk through the door for a show and not be sure who the host is out of the few people already there - can't remember the face to save me! It sure hurts when someone says they want to be off of your contact list. NEXT! Remember, they're saying no to Pampered Chef not you (well, except for Noora's co-worker ;) I had a fair last Nov. that got me one little web order and no bookings. Now someone from it responded to my monthly e-mail and wants to do a show. I send out 1,600 e-mails from my contact list. I bet a lot go to spam and are never read. I usually get 5-10 contact opt outs and 1 or 2 responses about ordering something and the occasional booking. Keep consistent contact and they'll think of you. I've even had people thank me for keeping them on the list.

After 10 years, I can tell you it happens a lot! I have people who have attended parties of mine before and get invited to another one, I remember the face so I say HI enthusiastically but they have no idea they have met me before. I have people who have attended parties of mine before and they remember me but I have no idea who or where I saw them! I have people who attend parties with 10% discounts that are current but can not tell me who the Consultant was or even when the party was! Now there is a a kick in the pants! Less than a year and they do not know the consultant or the date of the party they hosted! I mean this, do you remember everyone you ever ran into in this business let alone through your life in the last year? We see so many people everyday in the grocery store, the bank, walking the streets or in the play grounds, that I can not imagine, unless you have a photographic memory, that any one could remember everyone we run into. This IS NOT something you should take personally EVER.

I'm right there with John, we meet so may people....
and when you think about it, you met her at a crafts faire November--7 months ago. You took down her information, so you have in writing where you know her from, but then she heard from you in May via an email newsletter (6 months later)...
And it's part of our job to remember people who are prospects. so you are much more likely to remember her....
I understand the "slap in the face" feeling, but now it's even more important to pick up the phone and call someone you know will probably give you a yes so you can cancel that call out.
Marghi

I set up a table with samples and PC snacks at my hair salon a few weeks ago. A lady mentioned how much she liked the Tomato-Basil Squares that I made. I asked her if she would like for me to e-mail her the recipe/my newsletter/ sign up for the door prize. "No," she replied. "I already get the updates from my Pampered Chef person. I went to a demonstration last year at my niece's house. Maybe it's you." She proceeded to take my business card, look at my name, and say, "I don't remember who my consultant is, but it is definitely not you!"It was rude, but I don't think she meant it to be. It just made me laugh!

For that one person there are at least 20 others that want to hear from you and get your newsletter!!!! Who's next!

I was at a festival and asked a person if they would like a recipe card.....the lady looked me up and down, looked at the card I was trying to hand her and with a face grunted and walked off.....I stood their confused and then started laughing. People can be funny! This may be your first but it wont be your last...lol

I know this is an older thread, but yes- it happens to us all, and YES you want to throw away the phone when it does! (least I did). I've had it happen twice before I got too scared to try again.
I was doing really well and actually FOLLOWING UP with booth contacts within a fairly short period of time from the event. One lady yelled at me on the phone about "how did you get this number?!" and "why are you calling me at work?!". It was her cell phone- how was I supposed to know she was at work. I just was floored, and reminded her that SHE GAVE IT TO ME. I wanted to say "if you are at work, WHY ARE YOU ANSWERING YOUR DANG PHONE!? That's why they created Voicemail dummy!" But of course, I didn't. :angel:

The second lady was pretty close to the same as the first experience, only she didn't yell. I think I even made the calls back-to-back. I wouldn't do calls again after that. In fact, I haven't done many SINCE! But I'm working on myself about that little issue!

dmbailey

Welcome to Chef Success, and thanks for bumping this thread!

I've had both happen - people do not remember at all, and people remember after 2 years of no contact whatsoever. (clearly I need work in the follow-up arena!)

1. What do I do if I accidentally call someone who doesn't remember me?

If you have made a phone call to someone who couldn't remember you, the first thing to do is to politely remind them of who you are. You can mention how you know each other or any shared experiences that may jog their memory. If they still don't remember you, it's best to gracefully end the call and try to reconnect with them in person.

2. How should I handle the situation if the person gets upset or angry that I called?

It's understandable that someone may get upset or angry if they can't remember you, but it's important to stay calm and apologize for any inconvenience. You can also offer to call back at a more convenient time or suggest meeting in person to catch up. Remember to be patient and understanding, as memory lapses can happen to anyone.

3. Is it appropriate to remind the person of our past interactions or events?

It is appropriate to gently remind the person of your past interactions or events together. This may help jog their memory and make the situation less awkward. However, if the person still can't remember you, it's best to respect their memory and not push the issue further.

4. Should I apologize for bothering the person with my call?

It's always a good idea to apologize for any inconvenience or disturbance caused by your call. This shows that you are considerate and respectful of the person's time and feelings. However, don't apologize excessively as it may make the person feel guilty or uncomfortable.

5. How can I prevent this situation from happening in the future?

To prevent this situation from happening in the future, it's helpful to introduce yourself and remind the person of your relationship or previous interactions before making the call. You can also save their contact information with a brief note or description to jog your memory before calling. If you continue to have trouble remembering people, you may want to consider using a contacts app or writing down notes about people you meet.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • raebates
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • byrd1956