• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Emotional Upset: My Experience with a Sunday Phone Call

In summary, a Pampered Chef consultant shared about a difficult experience she had with a customer who had recently lost her husband. The consultant had initially decided not to call the customer about booking a show, but was encouraged by the host to do so. When the consultant called, the customer became upset and eventually called the consultant back to express her frustration. The consultant felt terrible and was considering not calling on Sundays anymore. Other consultants offered support and advised the consultant to talk to the host about the situation.
PampChefDeb
Ok, I've never started a thread before and I don't know if this is the right forum for this but here we go...

I am so upset right now. In fact, crying my eyes out due to a customer I called. Please forgive me but I have to vent. And I hope it will help.
I was making calls all afternoon and early evening. Trying to catch up after being sick all week long. One who I had planned to call was a woman who had lost her husband suddenly about a month ago. Originally I was not going to talk to her about booking because I knew she was mourning.
However, when I mentioned to the host (who works closely with her) that she had checked maybe for a show, she enthusiastically encouraged me to definitely call her. Soooo I called her this evening. As soon as I said who I was she said I don't do business on Sundays and I just lost my husband. I sincerely apologized for bothering her and hung up feeling so so bad that I had called. She sounded so upset. I figured she must have had a bad day. Well, about 30 minutes later, she calls ME. I answer and she starts asking me why I would call her on a Sunday night and how I had hurt her feelings.
I again apologized and explained all the above, that I was not planning to call at all and when the host told me I should that I was going to call last week but was sick. She just kept telling me over and over how she is a religious person and was brought up to never do business on Sunday. And repeatedly asked me why I would call her on Sunday. And kept reminding me that she had just lost her husband. No matter what I said she kept on. I started crying and kept apologizing for upsetting her. She said she wants to cancel her order, which was sent in last week. Oh, and btw she ordered the Executive 7 piece cookware set. Full price!! She then said that she loved the host too much to ruin her order.
In my 8 years+ with Pampered Chef I have NEVER had anyone say anything to me about calling on a Sunday!! Now, like my husband says this will probably make me not call on Sundays, which is one of the days I call most often.
Has anyone ever had an experience like this???

This woman is grieving. I would cut her some slack. You were just her target today. I would not take it personally.((HUGS)))

DebbieJ said:
This woman is grieving. I would cut her some slack. You were just her target today. I would not take it personally.

((HUGS)))

I am trying to think of her and not me. And I feel SO bad that I am responsible for upsetting her. I wish now that I would have just stuck with what my gut was telling me. Not to call her.

DebbieJ said:
This woman is grieving. I would cut her some slack. You were just her target today. I would not take it personally.

((HUGS)))

You know what? I know that she may be grieving, but that does not give anyone a right to treat someone who is crying and apologizing profusely on the phone like crap. That's just an excuse. I would call that host back and tell her exactly what happened, that she said she wanted to cancel her order, etc, explain everything to her, and maybe she can call this woman and get her to apologize to you. That was appalling.

Debbie Holte said:
I am trying to think of her and not me. And I feel SO bad that I am responsible for upsetting her. I wish now that I would have just stuck with what my gut was telling me. Not to call her.

You weren't "responsible" for upsetting her. Like Debbie said, you were her latest target. Unfair.

I agree, Steph! That's awful! You were apologizing and crying about it. There's no reason for her to rub salt in the wound! So, is she cancelling her order? If she loves the host that much not to affect her, I'd say it's a little late.

Debbie, I am sorry she took her frustrations out on you. Don't take it personally. Hugs!!!

I would let the Host know nicely that you called the lady and she was quite upset with you for calling and after apologizing to her and hanging up, she called you back and really got all over you about calling. Tell her you hope that she will also relay your apology and hope this will not cause the lady to have any bad feelings towards you or PC in the future. I would not even mention her threatening to cancel her order. You can also say, "I thought you ought to know because maybe she is having a rough day of mourning and you may want to check on her." I would make it as much about your CONCERN for her reaction and not how bad she upset you.

pcchefjane said:
I would let the Host know nicely that you called the lady and she was quite upset with you for calling and after apologizing to her and hanging up, she called you back and really got all over you about calling. Tell her you hope that she will also relay your apology and hope this will not cause the lady to have any bad feelings towards you or PC in the future. I would not even mention her threatening to cancel her order. You can also say, "I thought you ought to know because maybe she is having a rough day of mourning and you may want to check on her." I would make it as much about your CONCERN for her reaction and not how bad she upset you.

I totally agree. There are so many stages of grief, and there's a good possibility she's in the anger stage now, where she's just mad at the world. Tell the host you wanted to let her know what happened, that you are concerned for the guest and that she may want to touch base to see if she needs anything, a shoulder to cry on, etc.

wow! I'd be upset too. Bless and release, she was having a bad day and wanted to share it - you were probably not the only lucky one she shared it with. I also would not let this deter you from making Sunday calls.

BTW, I rarely make Sunday calls but that is my own preference. I know most of the people from my church take "Sunday afternoon naps" (me included) and I don't want to wake them. The only time I do make calls if it is someone I told I would talk to them on a Sunday or they asked me to call them on Sunday.

chefsteph07 said:
I would call that host back and tell her exactly what happened, that she said she wanted to cancel her order, etc, explain everything to her, and maybe she can call this woman and get her to apologize to you. That was appalling.

I don't think I would bring the host into this. She is not the one with whom you had the conversation with. It is does not concern her and bringing her into this might not only make you look worse to the grieving customer, but it might put a strain on the customer and host's relationship as well.

The only time I would contact the host is if the lady cancelled her order. The of course you would have to explain why she did, but from what you said above the customer changed her mind about cancelling it because she didn't want to ruin the host's show.

She obviously is still grieving. You did nothing wrong, so hang in there. She shouldn't have talked with you that way, but now you just have to let it go and move on.:)

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for your words of comfort and encouragement!! I really needed it and really appreciate it!!! I had been having such a great day and everyone was so nice on the calls where I reached a live person. I was full of excitement and hopefullness! It's amazing how one person, just one conversation (or two) can make you forget all the great things that had come earlier.

Wow, that's amazing. I too think she wanted to take some anger out on someone - poor you. I don't know what I would have done!

I've made calls on Sunday evening too and never had anyone get mad at me. Although, now I try to do Monday nights or Saturday mornings.

I also would not contact the host about what happend. This women may get even more upset w/you if the host brings this up. She may wonder what you said to her - especially if she regrets yelling at you later.

elizabethfox said:
I don't think I would bring the host into this. She is not the one with whom you had the conversation with. It is does not concern her and bringing her into this might not only make you look worse to the grieving customer, but it might put a strain on the customer and host's relationship as well.

The only time I would contact the host is if the lady cancelled her order. The of course you would have to explain why she did, but from what you said above the customer changed her mind about cancelling it because she didn't want to ruin the host's show.

She obviously is still grieving. You did nothing wrong, so hang in there. She shouldn't have talked with you that way, but now you just have to let it go and move on.:)

You are so right. I will definitely let it go and move on. Tomorrow. ;)
I just need to cry my tears, wallow in self-pity & regret and then take a deep breath and start tomorrow fresh!

elizabethfox said:

I only said that about calling the host because the HOST is the one who told her to call this guest in the first place. I think she should know that she was upset w/ her and maybe the host can "intervene" and tell the guest that it was her idea in the first place. And also so the host can check on the guest and make sure she's alright.

chefsteph07 said:
I only said that about calling the host because the HOST is the one who told her to call this guest in the first place. I think she should know that she was upset w/ her and maybe the host can "intervene" and tell the guest that it was her idea in the first place. And also so the host can check on the guest and make sure she's alright.

I understand. I'm gonna watch and see how it all plays out. I'm supposed to drop off the receipts to the host at their work this week (before the order arrives). The grieving woman is the receptionist so I'm not looking forward to seeing her right now. Maybe if I wait a couple days it will be ok.

Debbie Holte said:
I understand. I'm gonna watch and see how it all plays out. I'm supposed to drop off the receipts to the host at their work this week (before the order arrives). The grieving woman is the receptionist so I'm not looking forward to seeing her right now. Maybe if I wait a couple days it will be ok.

YOu should just mail it to the host. If the host questions why you didn't drop them off, that would be a good reason to tell her why you are uncomfortable.

chefsteph07 said:
YOu should just mail it to the host. If the host questions why you didn't drop them off, that would be a good reason to tell her why you are uncomfortable.

I'm thinking I might do that.

Awww, I am so sorry this happened to you.

I agree with Debbie that she is greiving. Totally not excusable, but you always have to think of where the other person is coming from.

as they say BLESS and RELEASE! I know that is easier said than done.

Debbie, my heart goes out to you. <great big huge bear hug>

Hang in there. Seriously, release it to the Lord. He knows your intention was not ill-intended. It is obvious you are not a bad person nor would you ever intentionally hurt anyone.

I agree with everyone - you just happened to be the person that called at the wrong time. I'll bet when she calms down - maybe weeks/months from now - she will see her error. She is hurting too badly inside to see ANYTHING clearly.

I know she shouldn't have talked to you that way but we all do things we regret. And quite frankly, I was devastated after losing my mom and I hated the world and questioned my religious beliefs to the very core. I hope I would never speak to anyone that way but in all honesty, my emotions may get the best of me one day... I am ashamed I got that lost but it absolutely rocked my world apart. Very tough time for me. I have so much more respect for people in mourning than ever now because we all grieve differently.

The point of this post is that...It is not your fault. YOU are a good person that called on a bad day. Keep her in your prayers, she may be lost like I was...

Go work that business, girl! :chef: You are feeling better and you deserve it!

You poor thing. I can't tell you anything new, just know that my heart goes out to you.

How is it that your host knew this woman enough to tell you to call her, but didn't know that she was a freak about being called on Sundays?

I'm just-a sayin....

Good advice here. I'd add that I'd send a card to her. There are several out there that say "sorry for being insensitive". I'd add a note saying that you have her in your prayers, are sorry for her loss and for your insensitivity (even though you weren't being insensitive - in her eyes you were). Ask her to forgive you.

She wasn't hearing you that day, she was hearing her own thoughts and couldn't get past them. Sending a card will give her a chance to hear you at a better time for her.

She'll be okay in time and the note will show that you do care.

BethCooks4U said:
Good advice here. I'd add that I'd send a card to her. There are several out there that say "sorry for being insensitive". I'd add a note saying that you have her in your prayers, are sorry for her loss and for your insensitivity (even though you weren't being insensitive - in her eyes you were). Ask her to forgive you.

She wasn't hearing you that day, she was hearing her own thoughts and couldn't get past them. Sending a card will give her a chance to hear you at a better time for her.
She'll be okay in time and the note will show that you do care.

This is exactly what I wanted to say, although I don't think I would have said it so clearly. The proof is that she kept repeating the questions, even though you kept answering them.

We shouldn't judge this poor widow as we have no idea what's going on in her heart right now, except that she is grieving an unexpected loss. Does everyone here think if they suddenly lost their husband/best friend, whomever, they would cheerily face the world each and every day? My husband is alive, I'm Christian, and I still don't accomplish this!

However, Debbie, I agree you did nothing wrong. You went by the advice of someone who knows this person better than you, and her advice was given in the spirit of love, as well. She could not have known the reaction it would cause. She probably thought hosting a show would be a good distraction.

I agree with sending a card or note, for the same reasons Becky gave.

Wow, what a difficult situation. I cannot imagine being in your shoes, nor can I guess at how I would handle such a situation. As previously stated, it wasn't your fault and you know in your heart that you had good intentions, etc.

I am a card person, so I probably would send a card. Wording is just so a touchy thing and it can be received positively or negatively. I would pray about what to say/do and just wait to see what God directs you to do.

It hurts to be the recipient of such harsh things; I pray that God gives you the peace that you deserve.

SeeMe4PC said:
Debbie, my heart goes out to you. <great big huge bear hug>

Hang in there. Seriously, release it to the Lord. He knows your intention was not ill-intended. It is obvious you are not a bad person nor would you ever intentionally hurt anyone.

I agree with everyone - you just happened to be the person that called at the wrong time. I'll bet when she calms down - maybe weeks/months from now - she will see her error. She is hurting too badly inside to see ANYTHING clearly.

I know she shouldn't have talked to you that way but we all do things we regret. And quite frankly, I was devastated after losing my mom and I hated the world and questioned my religious beliefs to the very core. I hope I would never speak to anyone that way but in all honesty, my emotions may get the best of me one day... I am ashamed I got that lost but it absolutely rocked my world apart. Very tough time for me. I have so much more respect for people in mourning than ever now because we all grieve differently.

The point of this post is that...It is not your fault. YOU are a good person that called on a bad day. Keep her in your prayers, she may be lost like I was...

Go work that business, girl! :chef: You are feeling better and you deserve it!

Thank you, Tara! And I'm so sorry you lost your mom. I am so very blessed to still have my mom, and that she is closeby. I dread the day that she is no longer with us. Who knows, maybe I'll flip out on someone too. Dear Lord, please don't let me do that!:eek:

Debbie don't take what she did to heart. As many of you are aware I lost my dad a few weeks ago. Many times in the last few weeks I didn't want to talk to anyone and I am still very angry. (I hide it well.) When the phone rings and I don't want to talk or am in a really bad mood I just don't answer the phone. What this person did to you is wrong- yes she is grieving, but that doesn't give her the right to be down right rude. She simply could have not answered the phone and called you back on Monday. Don't stop making calls on Sunday- I make calls all the time on Sunday and never had anyone yell at me. You were just happened to call the wrong person at the wrong time- she will eventually see what she did wrong.

Last edited:
Debbie Holte said:
Ok, I've never started a thread before and I don't know if this is the right forum for this but here we go...

I am so upset right now. In fact, crying my eyes out due to a customer I called. Please forgive me but I have to vent. And I hope it will help.
I was making calls all afternoon and early evening. Trying to catch up after being sick all week long. One who I had planned to call was a woman who had lost her husband suddenly about a month ago. Originally I was not going to talk to her about booking because I knew she was mourning.
However, when I mentioned to the host (who works closely with her) that she had checked maybe for a show, she enthusiastically encouraged me to definitely call her. Soooo I called her this evening. As soon as I said who I was she said I don't do business on Sundays and I just lost my husband. I sincerely apologized for bothering her and hung up feeling so so bad that I had called. She sounded so upset. I figured she must have had a bad day. Well, about 30 minutes later, she calls ME. I answer and she starts asking me why I would call her on a Sunday night and how I had hurt her feelings.
I again apologized and explained all the above, that I was not planning to call at all and when the host told me I should that I was going to call last week but was sick. She just kept telling me over and over how she is a religious person and was brought up to never do business on Sunday. And repeatedly asked me why I would call her on Sunday. And kept reminding me that she had just lost her husband. No matter what I said she kept on. I started crying and kept apologizing for upsetting her. She said she wants to cancel her order, which was sent in last week. Oh, and btw she ordered the Executive 7 piece cookware set. Full price!! She then said that she loved the host too much to ruin her order.
In my 8 years+ with Pampered Chef I have NEVER had anyone say anything to me about calling on a Sunday!! Now, like my husband says this will probably make me not call on Sundays, which is one of the days I call most often.
Has anyone ever had an experience like this???

Debbie,
I understand how you feel, I was on the other side of that conversation a couple of years ago.
She had lost someone she had spent a good portion of her life with. You just happened to catch her at a bad time.
Call her again in a couple of night and just talk to her, she is most likely feeling empty, alone, lost, confused and a basket full of other emotions. It's a roller coaster of emotions going from one to the next in seconds. As to "you" hurting her feelings, you didn't, she was already hurting, you happened to be the one to allow her to vent her own loneliness n feeling of loss.
So, don't take it to heart.. keep a kind ear for her.. she needs it..

All of you have helped me SO much with this. I have a new perspective on what happened. I will pray for her and pray that the Lord will give me the wisdom of what to do next, if anything. I am leaning heavily towards the advice given on sending her a heartfelt card.

I never knew I could feel so much love for people (you cheffers) that I've never even met!! You all ROCK!! This is great therapy!!:love:

heather223 said:
Debbie don't take what she did to heart. As many of you are aware I lost my dad a few weeks ago. Many times in the last few weeks I didn't want to talk to anyone and I am still very angry. (I hide it well.) When the phone rings and I don't want to talk or am in a really bad mood I just don't answer the phone. What this person did to you is wrong- yes she is grieving, but that doesn't give her the right to be down right rude. She simply could have not answered the phone and called you back on Monday. Don't stop making calls on Sunday- I make calls all the time on Sunday and never had anyone yell at me. You were just happened to call the wrong person at the wrong time- she will eventually see what she did wrong.

Heather, I am so sorry about your dad! And I am the same way, I will not answer the phone if I'm in a bad mood or just really busy. That's why we have voicemail.

I just cannot believe how much better you all have made me feel. Now if I could help this woman feel better that would make it all worth it!!

Debbie.. another way to look at it .. obviously she needed to grieve more... different triggers get us to grieve. Your call was a trigger to another level of grief for her. It is so sad how it came about(hurting you in the process)... but I feel God was working through you to help her grieve. Now on the other side of the coin.. her bitterness was inappropriate.. but to someone in so much pain... understandable. We all deal with trauma differently. Just understand the extreme pain she must feel. But she must continue to grieve to get it all out. You were just a trigger.. and did nothing wrong. She needed to lash out at someone. I agree she does need someone to check in on her. Either the host or someone who cares. Do not take it personal. Many I call appreciate calls on Sunday. So sorry this broke your great mood and calls. But she is screaming out that she is not ok. The host should be informed.. not because of how you feel.. but to help this woman. I always say... what would I want for me in this situation... ask your self and then you will know what to do. Bless you for caring.

Clearly it's not about you, it's her issue. Don't fret - you care enough about your business and your customers to feel badly about HER being upset. Eleanor Roosevelt: "No one can make you feel sad without your consent..."

My director makes all her calls on Sunday from 7-8pm. That is what I started doing and have not had one person complain. She has her own issues and just took it out on you. Try to let it go. I know it's hard, but realize it is not you it's her.

I LOVE Sunday calls...people are relaxed and generally happy to hear from me! Hang in there and Work your CALLS! I hope you too are feeling better from sickness.

So sorry you ran into this. I make calls Sunday evenings and have had no problems.

I didn't read through ALL the other posts but I absolutely agree with the ones that I DID read through. Sunday evenings are one of the best days to do calls because most people are home. Our business relies on talking to people in person/on the phone - so you gotta do your calls when it works best for most people. I don't think this lady would have even listened if you had apologized to her for not knowing that she prefers to NOT have business calls on Sunday. I would have been upset as well - but I honestly think you calling on Sunday wasn't the REAL issue.....

....if calling on a Sunday WAS the REAL issue - then just don't do the calls TO HER on a Sunday in the future, I guess. :rolleyes:

Hang in the there! GOOD THING YOU HAVE CS TO VENT TO! :) :love:

Please don't worry, I lost my sister 2 and 1/2 years ago and for several months after she passed, for no reason I would get angry and it takes time, so like the person on here said before it was her fault, not yours. Please continue to make calls on Sunday, I have found that late evening works best and everyone is home getting ready for Monday!

WOW! I should give my creditors this woman's number so she can let them have it. As, my Nana would say, "There is no excuse for bad manners." And, if she wants to cancel her order, once she gets her products, she can call HO and return them. It won't hurt the host's FPV or your sales for that matter. Sometimes some people need to make others feel bad to make themselves feel good. I am sure she is hurting. I can't imagine the hurt. If it were me, I would probably be a little embarrassed once I settled down after snapping like that. I don't think I would send a card about anything you did wrong. If I was going to send a card, it would be a "thinking of you" or some other sort of pick me up card. Good luck!

And, FWIW, I had a woman SCREAMING at me because I waited too long to submit a show. And, I mean SCREAMING. I love PC, and take my biz seriously, but give me a freaing break. There is nothing worth screaming about.

1. Why did you call a customer on a Sunday evening?

I was making calls to catch up after being sick all week and the host of the party encouraged me to call this specific customer, who had originally checked "maybe" for a party.

2. Did you know the customer had recently lost her husband?

Yes, I was aware of her loss and had planned not to bring up booking a party because of it.

3. How did the customer react when you called?

She immediately expressed that she doesn't do business on Sundays and that she had just lost her husband. I apologized and hung up, feeling bad for bothering her.

4. Did the customer end up calling you back?

Yes, about 30 minutes later the customer called me back and expressed her upset feelings towards being called on a Sunday.

5. Has this ever happened to you before in your 8+ years with Pampered Chef?

No, this is the first time I have ever had a customer express their religious beliefs about not doing business on Sundays. It has never been an issue in my previous experiences with customers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • cheflorraine
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
Replies