• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

"One of the Biggest Announcements" Speculation??

In summary, at Spring launch there will be an announcement about an app for iphone, ipad, and droid devices. There is a promotion to win an Ipad or I touch.
Intrepid_Chef said:
Thanks for posting that because I was just thinking that if it's a mobile app I'll have to try really hard to hide my disappointment. Oh yay, ANOTHER thing that those of us with dumb phones are left out of!

But seeing that it could make the difference for some people makes the difference for me. Still if I had to dream it would be something for ALL of us, not just something for those who feel called to directorship and recruiting, have high sales, can afford websites, etc. Which for me would be a better fundraiser program, incorporating Relay for Life into Help Whip Cancer, a raise or submitting shows via consultant's corner or a revamp of P3.

I'm glad I'm not the only one out there with a dumb phone. The speculations of high tech apps, etc. are rather frightening :eek:

I refuse to pay for the plan needed to have a smart phone so I too only have a phone that makes calls and texts.

cochef said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one out there with a dumb phone. The speculations of high tech apps, etc. are rather frightening :eek:

You are not alone!

Don't feel bad. I have a smart phone, but some of these newer apps and tech items are getting beyond me. Partly because I refuse to take the time to learn them.

wadesgirl said:
I refuse to pay for the plan needed to have a smart phone so I too only have a phone that makes calls and texts.

The cost of my phone is plenty, I'm not adding the ridiculous data packages to that bill. I'd love to have a smart phone, it would be convenient to sync it up to my computer but all carriers require the expensive data package in order for you to get the phone.

As it is, I can receive texts, but I don't send them. My carrier allows for free incoming texts, but I have no plan for outgoing. I call people back when they text me. It works.

cochef said:

We only have a prepaid cell phone. So I don't even considerus having a phone. We mainly use it for emergencies.

cochef said:

I have wanted a smart phone but am afraid i will feel seriously dumb. My phone is paid for and out of contract. It still works so I still use it. I love my sliding keypad. I am so afraid I will break the screen on a smart phone (from care not irritation lol).

I have been considering a smart phone or tablet but decided to wait until I hear what the announcement will be at Launch. Then I will make a decision. I could also drive all my friends nuts.

I am years behind on all technology. Took me years to get my own computer and the one I have now is circa 2004. Took me years to get a DVR. And took me years to get a cel phone. My "dumb phone" could be smart but I don't want to pay for a data plan. Oh and my GPS is an old model. Which might explain why the last time I went to a craft fair at an American Legion, the GPS led me to a trailer park in the country and cheerfully announced, "You have reached your destination."

I broke down and got an iphone in Sept. yes, it is expensive but some of the apps are so helpful and I save $$ gas buddy for one it pulls up all local gas stations and tells me the cost of the gas, distance from where I am etc.
i don't play games on it but I do use it way more than I ever thought I would.

I probably won't be able to use an app, since most of them are connected to iPhones and I have a Windows phone. Still, if it's something that customers can use to connect to me, their personal consultant, I'm all for it. A lot of people use their iPads or iPhones to do their online stuff. If I understand correctly, right now they can't purchase that way.

Intrepid_Chef said:
Oh and my GPS is an old model. ."

My GPS is Mapquest from my desktop with printed out directions before I go some place I'm not familiar with! Or, my passenger telling where to turn!

Intrepid_Chef said:
I am years behind on all technology. Took me years to get my own computer and the one I have now is circa 2004. Took me years to get a DVR. And took me years to get a cel phone. My "dumb phone" could be smart but I don't want to pay for a data plan. Oh and my GPS is an old model. Which might explain why the last time I went to a craft fair at an American Legion, the GPS led me to a trailer park in the country and cheerfully announced, "You have reached your destination."

You probably just need to find the directions for downloading updated maps. But i think it does cost $$ to do that. My DH does ours about once a year but he had to pay like $100 for lifetime updates I think. Dont ask me how, haha. I would just google it to find out if it were me having to do it.

esavvymom said:
You probably just need to find the directions for downloading updated maps. But i think it does cost $$ to do that. My DH does ours about once a year but he had to pay like $100 for lifetime updates I think. Dont ask me how, haha. I would just google it to find out if it were me having to do it.

I am over due updating my gps but am stalling because it was behind when I got it so I don't trust it will be accurate anyway. They claimed it was all up to date when I got it and roads that had changed over a year before weren't on it then. It also said our NEW Walmart is in an entirely different place than it is - a residential neighborhood a mile or so from where it is - so its not like it planned to be there and moved before building. I also don't want to spend the money because I think it is a dinosaur - if I get a new car (not planning on it but...) it probably has gps. I plan to get an iPhone soon and it has gps. I'll just limp along with mine the way it is and keep my phone handy in case.

raebates said:
I probably won't be able to use an app, since most of them are connected to iPhones and I have a Windows phone. Still, if it's something that customers can use to connect to me, their personal consultant, I'm all for it. A lot of people use their iPads or iPhones to do their online stuff. If I understand correctly, right now they can't purchase that way.

I'm not familiar with a Windows phone - but is it run on a Droid system? Because most apps are also available for Droids. In fact, the blurb in the December CN specifically mentioned iPad, iPhone, or Droid System...

BethCooks4U said:
if I get a new car (not planning on it but...) it probably has gps.

In my house, we have both. My Prius came fully loaded. My husband has a Garmin. I would recommend buyng a car WITHOUT the GPS. He has lifetime updates on his Garmin. Mine costs over $200 each time I want to do it, thus it still has 2003 maps.

I love having GPS, but it's much more practical to purchase and update a portable one.

lt1jane said:
In my house, we have both. My Prius came fully loaded. My husband has a Garmin. I would recommend buyng a car WITHOUT the GPS. He has lifetime updates on his Garmin. Mine costs over $200 each time I want to do it, thus it still has 2003 maps.

I love having GPS, but it's much more practical to purchase and update a portable one.

Good to know. Thanks.

Even with GPS, I still check Google Maps before going to every show. GPS wants to take me one way, Google Maps sometimes takes me another way. I like to have a clue as to how I'm going to get there before leaving the house. Plus, I need to know how long it's going to take.

GPS has made me lazy with my out and about trips. There have been a few times when I thought a place was one way so I ignored the GPS and I was wrong. I do like how I can look up places (banks, a certain store, fast food option) near where I am. The cord is sitting on my desk so I can update it, which I haven't done since we got it a year ago.

Becca_in_MD said:
Even with GPS, I still check Google Maps before going to every show. GPS wants to take me one way, Google Maps sometimes takes me another way. I like to have a clue as to how I'm going to get there before leaving the house. Plus, I need to know how long it's going to take.

GPS has made me lazy with my out and about trips. There have been a few times when I thought a place was one way so I ignored the GPS and I was wrong. I do like how I can look up places (banks, a certain store, fast food option) near where I am. The cord is sitting on my desk so I can update it, which I haven't done since we got it a year ago.

I do the same thing. GPS won't take into account traffic patterns, or better routes you may know of to get to the same destination. And for some weird reason, my Garmin doesn't always take the most direct/logical route. I always consult Google, and then determine what I know to be the best way (if local or familiar territory). I am notorious for telling my husband to "Just ignore her (pointing at the GPS)". I think that's why we get so tickled by the Allstate "Mayhem" commercial where is an outdated GPS. LOVE that one.

Becca_in_MD said:

I do the same! Having that backup and interactive map to decide the best route for ME is so reassuring and helpful. I do like that I don't have to be continually checking the paper while driving though. The thing I treasure my GPS for the most is it ALWAYS gets me home. I can't say how many extra miles I have driven back from parties because I made a wrong turn before I had it.

The one thing I think is funny with my GPS is that it does have some newer updated roads but there is a section of road that was changed about 8 years ago that isn't even on there. I know when it was changed because I use to work right at the intersection that was pretty much a dead ended out of downtown. They opened up to match up with a road that came from the south. My GPS gets so mad at me any time I take that way because it still doesn't recognize it as a road!

wadesgirl said:
The one thing I think is funny with my GPS is that it does have some newer updated roads but there is a section of road that was changed about 8 years ago that isn't even on there. I know when it was changed because I use to work right at the intersection that was pretty much a dead ended out of downtown. They opened up to match up with a road that came from the south. My GPS gets so mad at me any time I take that way because it still doesn't recognize it as a road!
"Please return to the road"My DH and I joke about how they should come up with a New Yorker accented voice. (We can select our voice...we currently have USA Jill. He had an Aussie voice one time but she pronounced things to differently I almost missed my road...Jill was revived. ANYWAY- we thought it would be funny to have a NYer who talks back when you do things your way. "Fine, do it YOUR way. Why am I here?", "FINALLY - you listened to me!". "Forget about it!" :D

esavvymom said:
"Please return to the road"

My DH and I joke about how they should come up with a New Yorker accented voice. (We can select our voice...we currently have USA Jill. He had an Aussie voice one time but she pronounced things to differently I almost missed my road...Jill was revived. ANYWAY- we thought it would be funny to have a NYer who talks back when you do things your way. "Fine, do it YOUR way. Why am I here?", "FINALLY - you listened to me!". "Forget about it!" :D

There are a couple roads around here that even the regular voice pronounces funny! I also did a boy voice that instead of "ramp" it came out sounding like "womp"!

BethCooks4U said:
The thing I treasure my GPS for the most is it ALWAYS gets me home. I can't say how many extra miles I have driven back from parties because I made a wrong turn before I had it.

AMEN to that! It's especially helpful when there are one-way streets involved or it takes you out a different way so you can turn more easily onto a main road or some highways only have access from one direction.

My GPS pronounces Annapolis as "anna polis" with a long o. Cracks me up every time. I can't hear it a lot of the time when it says road names b/c I don't like it yelling at me and keep the volume low.

esavvymom said:
"Please return to the road"

My DH and I joke about how they should come up with a New Yorker accented voice. (We can select our voice...we currently have USA Jill. He had an Aussie voice one time but she pronounced things to differently I almost missed my road...Jill was revived. ANYWAY- we thought it would be funny to have a NYer who talks back when you do things your way. "Fine, do it YOUR way. Why am I here?", "FINALLY - you listened to me!". "Forget about it!" :D

We usually use Jill too but alternate with Emily (English). She isn't as b*tchy as Jill can be. "RE-calcUlatING" Emily usually sounds more resigned when shes recalculating or she just keeps quiet and then goes with the new route. Emily's pronunciations are sometimes comical but so are some of Jill's.

We're always putting words in her mouth too. It's good entertainment.

What's fun with a GPS is when you take it with you to Hawaii (my geeky dh) to use in the rental car....listening to it pronounce the hawaiin names of the streets and highways, good for a great laugh.

Jennie4PC said:
We only have a prepaid cell phone. So I don't even considerus having a phone. We mainly use it for emergencies.

I thought we were the only ones that went this route. It is so inexpensive ($100/year, total) and we share it, with the intention of needing it just for emergencies when one of us is traveling. I do call for take out on my way home sometimes--LOL. I have almost 2000 minutes that have accumulated on it, and rarely use it.

Don't most cell phones have GPS already loaded in?
I think purchasing a Garmin or getting a car w/ GPS is a little pricey...but that's just me. My husband and I both have GPS on our phones...and they are about 2 ys old so not new by any means...

chefsteph07 said:
Don't most cell phones have GPS already loaded in?
I think purchasing a Garmin or getting a car w/ GPS is a little pricey...but that's just me. My husband and I both have GPS on our phones...and they are about 2 ys old so not new by any means...

Part of the previous discussion on here included that some of us don't have smart phones. :)

wadesgirl said:
There are a couple roads around here that even the regular voice pronounces funny! I also did a boy voice that instead of "ramp" it came out sounding like "womp"!

The first time "Jill" said "take ramp ahead", I turned to my husband and asked "Who is Grampa Head?"

wadesgirl said:
Part of the previous discussion on here included that some of us don't have smart phones. :)

I think my phone is pretty smart. It doesn't allow me to check my email, find directions, see what the weather is supposed to be tomorrow, or any of those other crazy things people do with their phones while they're driving. In fact, it won't let me text either cuz the buttons are so small I can't see them while driving! I think it's pretty smart to not let me be doing those things;)

pchockeymom said:
I think my phone is pretty smart. It doesn't allow me to check my email, find directions, see what the weather is supposed to be tomorrow, or any of those other crazy things people do with their phones while they're driving. In fact, it won't let me text either cuz the buttons are so small I can't see them while driving! I think it's pretty smart to not let me be doing those things;)

AMEN!:thumbup:

I think it so sad when you walk down the sidewalk (or sit at an intersection) and watch how many people are walking, driving, or even sitting in a restaurant with LIVE PEOPLE, and are texting, emailing, browsing, etc. UGH. If I look at my phone- most oft he time it is because I don't wear a watch right now! lol

esavvymom said:
AMEN!:thumbup:

I think it so sad when you walk down the sidewalk (or sit at an intersection) and watch how many people are walking, driving, or even sitting in a restaurant with LIVE PEOPLE, and are texting, emailing, browsing, etc. UGH. If I look at my phone- most oft he time it is because I don't wear a watch right now! lol

I have a smart phone - but I still think this is RUDE. When I go pick up my son from school, It seems like everyone is either sitting in their car on a phone, or standing inside the school...all lined up against the walls with their faces in their phones. And the rudest is when you are talking to someone, and they can't even take their eyes off their phone to enter the conversation.

Agree totally Becky phones are overtaking the communications. Not happy about it :(

gailz2 said:
I thought we were the only ones that went this route. It is so inexpensive ($100/year, total) and we share it, with the intention of needing it just for emergencies when one of us is traveling. I do call for take out on my way home sometimes--LOL. I have almost 2000 minutes that have accumulated on it, and rarely use it.

I do now carry it around since DD was diagnosed with diabetes in June so if I am not at home the school can get in contact with me. But we share it also. So if DH is traveling he has it. I just let the school know not to call it.

Dina Atnip said:
Agree totally Becky phones are overtaking the communications. Not happy about it :(

I was at a show this weekend and I was shocked at some of the conversations. They were saying if someone called they would ignore the person then text them back a little bit later so they didnt have to talk to them.:eek:

Wow! This conversion has changed since I was last on! LOL
There are pros & and cons to each... But from catching up on conversation... With SO many rude on the phone 24/7 people out there...all the more reason for PC to have an app to shop from! (and one less catalog for me to buy and pass out!) ;)

I have to stick up for the cell phone users. No one in my family has a land line phone. It is *significantly*cheaper for us to all have cell phones. I take it with me everywhere. My husband and I share a car, and our cell phones are literally the *only* way we have to communicate when we aren't at home (which is often, because we're both full-time grad students.) I make customer care calls and all of my other calls from my cell phone in public places. Something else that is absurdly rude is when people come up to me and expect me to hold a conversation with them while I'm on the phone. A text message will be there, so I certainly don't text people while I'm out with friends or having another conversation or any of that nonsense.
But I wouldn't have any income if it wasn't for my cell phone. An app would definitely be helpful, but there isn't anything that could ever replace a real, live consultant. We come with the package!!

melaniehay22 said:
I have to stick up for the cell phone users. No one in my family has a land line phone. It is *significantly*cheaper for us to all have cell phones. I take it with me everywhere. My husband and I share a car, and our cell phones are literally the *only* way we have to communicate when we aren't at home (which is often, because we're both full-time grad students.) I make customer care calls and all of my other calls from my cell phone in public places. Something else that is absurdly rude is when people come up to me and expect me to hold a conversation with them while I'm on the phone. A text message will be there, so I certainly don't text people while I'm out with friends or having another conversation or any of that nonsense.
But I wouldn't have any income if it wasn't for my cell phone. An app would definitely be helpful, but there isn't anything that could ever replace a real, live consultant. We come with the package!!

I have to agree with you. Everyone in my family has a cell phone because we are all so busy with our jobs and school. I still have a landline, but am strongly considering getting rid of it. My kids know that if they pull out their phones while we eat dinner, they WILL be cleaning the kitchen all by themselves after the meal. If they pull it out when we are at a restaurant, they will pay for their own meal. (my kids are 24, 22 and 17) I especially find it rude when I'm sitting at my desk and a student comes up to me while talking on their phone and has a conversation near my desk. I do not even acknowledge they are standing there until they hang up. I even made a sign that says, "I'll be happy to assist you as soon as you end your cell phone conversation" I'll point to the sign sometimes and then to the door indicating they need to leave my space and stop being rude. (I work at a university with LOTS of rude students.....well, rude til I get a hold of 'em!)

I will always embrace the new technology, but will always support those that want no part of it. If TPC is coming out with some new technology to make my job easier, I'll welcome it with open arms.

Brenda.the.chef said:
I have to agree with you. Everyone in my family has a cell phone because we are all so busy with our jobs and school. I still have a landline, but am strongly considering getting rid of it. My kids know that if they pull out their phones while we eat dinner, they WILL be cleaning the kitchen all by themselves after the meal. If they pull it out when we are at a restaurant, they will pay for their own meal. (my kids are 24, 22 and 17) I especially find it rude when I'm sitting at my desk and a student comes up to me while talking on their phone and has a conversation near my desk. I do not even acknowledge they are standing there until they hang up. I even made a sign that says, "I'll be happy to assist you as soon as you end your cell phone conversation" I'll point to the sign sometimes and then to the door indicating they need to leave my space and stop being rude. (I work at a university with LOTS of rude students.....well, rude til I get a hold of 'em!)

I will always embrace the new technology, but will always support those that want no part of it. If TPC is coming out with some new technology to make my job easier, I'll welcome it with open arms.

I completely agree with you. If the news is something technology related we can't fault PC for following the current trends. I am going to school to complete my degree to be a teacher, and I can't tell you how many classrooms I have observed in where the students have their phones, iPods, etc. out and in use during class. This also happens at the college level. To me, it is beyond rude and distracting. I swear this will not be allowed when I am a teacher. There is a time and a place and we need to start teaching the proper etiquette for using these devices.

Heather - I am a high school teacher in Nebraska and we don't have a problem with cell phone use in class. The students take their phones out and put them on the desk/table with them so we can see it. This keeps them from texting under their desk or in the pockets of their hoodies. They get to use them before school, at lunch, and after school while waiting for the bus. I actually have had them use their phones during class to poll their parents or other adults about political issues, etc. They can be an asset to your teaching if, as you said, you teach them the appropriate rules. Hope you enjoy teaching as much as I have over the past 13 years. - Sharon

I too do not have a land line. I have only my cell phone. I love technology and I think the strides we have made are like, totally wow! But there is a time and place for it. One of these days I will purposely run over someone who is engrossed in their texting, walking against the light and I will have very little remorse about it. I had to slam on my brakes when a young lady simply decided to keep texting and walked right into the intersection. Luckily the guy behind me and him saw her too before we all hit each other. We all opened our windows and hollered at her. She kept right on texting! And I love sitting at a restaurant listening to someone else's conversation because most people do not realize you do not have to yell at the thing to be heard! RUDE. If people could learn how to really use these things wisely, and without annoyance to others, fine. But most do not give a rats behind who they annoy.
If I am out with friends, my phone is turned off. If I am out with my other half for dinner, my phone is off. If I am driving, my phone is purposely out of reach because yes, I am dumb enough to pick it up! I do pull over if I think it might be important then will check the call. My feeling is this, if you live by technology, (And remember I make my living with technology!) you really need to have your head examined.
Sorry for the side track but I needed to vent! The pedestrian event happened yesterday afternoon when I was going grocery shopping. Then there was the boob at the store who could not see that there were about 5 of us waiting to get through the aisle because she was so involved in the conversation, rather screaming match, she was having with whomever and was standing in such a way with her cart and herself, that she was blocking the aisle completely, one lady finally bumped her cart as she decided to just get past her no matter what. Then the phone lady had the GALL TO LOOK AT US LIKE WE WERE IN HER LIVING ROOM ANNOYING HER! If you know when and where to use technology, fine. Otherwise, BITE ME!

pampered1224 said:
I too do not have a land line. I have only my cell phone. I love technology and I think the strides we have made are like, totally wow! But there is a time and place for it. One of these days I will purposely run over someone who is engrossed in their texting, walking against the light and I will have very little remorse about it. I had to slam on my brakes when a young lady simply decided to keep texting and walked right into the intersection. Luckily the guy behind me and him saw her too before we all hit each other. We all opened our windows and hollered at her. She kept right on texting! And I love sitting at a restaurant listening to someone else's conversation because most people do not realize you do not have to yell at the thing to be heard! RUDE. If people could learn how to really use these things wisely, and without annoyance to others, fine. But most do not give a rats behind who they annoy.
If I am out with friends, my phone is turned off. If I am out with my other half for dinner, my phone is off. If I am driving, my phone is purposely out of reach because yes, I am dumb enough to pick it up! I do pull over if I think it might be important then will check the call. My feeling is this, if you live by technology, (And remember I make my living with technology!) you really need to have your head examined.
Sorry for the side track but I needed to vent! The pedestrian event happened yesterday afternoon when I was going grocery shopping. Then there was the boob at the store who could not see that there were about 5 of us waiting to get through the aisle because she was so involved in the conversation, rather screaming match, she was having with whomever and was standing in such a way with her cart and herself, that she was blocking the aisle completely, one lady finally bumped her cart as she decided to just get past her no matter what. Then the phone lady had the GALL TO LOOK AT US LIKE WE WERE IN HER LIVING ROOM ANNOYING HER! If you know when and where to use technology, fine. Otherwise, BITE ME!

HHHOOOO-RAHH! Amen John! :thumbup::thumbup:

<wink> John gets the thread hijack award.

Just to clarify I am not against cell phones at all. I think my mom and dad are the only ones besides us who have a land line. Right now it is nowhere in our budget to get one and its cheaper to have a land line.

I did do that quite well didn't I? Sorry!

Jennie4PC said:
Just to clarify I am not against cell phones at all. I think my mom and dad are the only ones besides us who have a land line. Right now it is nowhere in our budget to get one and its cheaper to have a land line.

I dont think any of us who re commenting think cell phones are bad. Shoot, we all (most) have them. Too many people's behavior is terrible though with them, yes.

I just have to say. Y'all are going to LOVE the announcement. It's going to be beyond what you might think it is. Completely.

How come no is saying what the big announcement was?

gag order. Jean Jonas shows up at their house the next day if they do.No - actually the Launches are scheduled over different weekends so they want all info to be secret for the next crew. Similar shusshhhes happen after "waves" of Nat Conference.

If you were in the second group getting the announcement wouldn't you want to have as much excitement when you hear things as the first group?Everyone will know by the 6th. Just a week to go. It's worth the wait! Those of us who have been are going crazy not being able to share so we feel your pain too.And Scott, some people would tell just to get Jean to show up if that was the "punishment". lol

<h2>What are the 5 most frequently asked questions about "One of the Biggest Announcements" Speculation?</h2><p>1. What is the big announcement going to be about?<br>2. When will the announcement be made?<br>3. Who will be making the announcement?<br>4. How will this announcement affect current Pampered Chef products and customers?<br>5. Can you give any hints or clues about the announcement?</p><h2>Any guesses on the big announcement?</h2><p>As an employee of Pampered Chef, I am not at liberty to make guesses or speculate about the big announcement. However, based on what the National Execs are saying, it is safe to say that it will be a significant and exciting development for the company.</p><h2>They said it is one of the biggest ever. What are your speculations?</h2><p>Again, I cannot make any speculations about the announcement. However, some possibilities could include a new product launch, a major partnership or collaboration, or a significant expansion into new markets.</p>

Related to "One of the Biggest Announcements" Speculation??

What are the 5 most frequently asked questions about "One of the Biggest Announcements" Speculation?

1. What is the big announcement going to be about?
2. When will the announcement be made?
3. Who will be making the announcement?
4. How will this announcement affect current Pampered Chef products and customers?
5. Can you give any hints or clues about the announcement?

Any guesses on the big announcement?

As an employee of Pampered Chef, I am not at liberty to make guesses or speculate about the big announcement. However, based on what the National Execs are saying, it is safe to say that it will be a significant and exciting development for the company.

They said it is one of the biggest ever. What are your speculations?

Again, I cannot make any speculations about the announcement. However, some possibilities could include a new product launch, a major partnership or collaboration, or a significant expansion into new markets.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cookn' katie
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered.chris
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • pamperedpals