• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ok.. Trying to Conceive and Have Question

In summary, a woman recently went off her birth control and is wondering if it's normal for her period to not start right away. She asks for advice and receives various responses, including the possibility of being pregnant and the recommendation to start charting her fertility. The conversation also includes some humorous comments about pregnancy and sex.
mandydollie
Hi everyone~

As you may know I recently got married and we are hoping to add to our family soon. I went off my birth control at the end of January after my last cycle (so I stopped taking them on January 28th). According to the cycle that I was on when on BC, I should have started my period this past Sunday. It still hasn't started and shows no sign of wanting to start. My question is this... for those of you who may have been on the pill and then went off, did it take awhile for your cycle to start back up again? I don't know if I should go buy a test just to make sure or what the heck i should do.
:confused:

Amanda, it truly depends on the person! Your body could be reacting to the change from the BC in your system to not, or it could be good news. If you go a week past normal start date, buy a cheap test and check (but don't get your hopes up first)...your body could just be adjusting to all the changes in your life.

I had to go off of the pill due to a blood disorder that they recently found, and it did take me a few months to get back into a cycle....and the cycle is no where near 28 days since I have been off of it. I give it a week either way to try and figure.... You may want to get a test, just to see...hey, they have them in the dollar stores now!!

I think I've heard that on average it takes 3 months for your body to regulate itself after stopping the pill. Now, that's just an average...like the other's said, don't get your hopes up, but a dollar store test is cheap, or you could just wait and see.

You should get the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It's really good.

I would wait another week because you're going to cause yourself anxiety of waiting for your test! Or call your dr to ask for the professional advice!!!;)

I e-mailed a friend who works in an OB clinic and she did say that it can take a little while for my body to adjust to being off the pill.

I was on the pill for 3 years before we decided to start a family. I come from a very fertile family. I was pregant the month after I went off my pill (this happen 2 times to me within 3 year span). I was taken off the pill last may because of liver disease and my cycle still hasn't caught up with my body. So it could be either way depending on your body.
Good Luck!!!

with my first child i went off the pill and got pregnant very quickly. It was almost 8 years ago so I can't remember if I had a normal cycle inbetween or not but I do remember everyone saying that it happened so quickly.

Taking a pregnancy test won't change if you're pregnant or not. Time will tell.

By the way, you're only pregnant if you've had sex.LOL

Paige Dixon said:

That's funny! You are having sex, right Amanda?

on occasion... we ARE newleyweds!!!!

britishchef said:

ITA. I prevented pregnancy for a long while using this method and conceived DS on the first try using this method, too!

Is it best to start charting like tomorrow morning?

start charting anytime. The best is to start the first day of your period so you can see how your temp and CM changes over your cycle.

well that would be lovely IF I would get my period...lol!

Paige Dixon said:

Slightly off-topic....
My sister ended up getting pregnant unexpectedly. My BIL had a vasectomy, but they hadn't been cleared for non-contraceptive sex yet. But they were having a problem with their insurance, so she was "forced" off the pill (since they didn't want to just pay for it). So she ends up pregnant, and mentioned once that "we only weren't careful 3 times." I told her that I hoped it was triplets. (She has a science background and one of her pet peeves is people who say "I couldn't be pregnant because we only had sex once!")

chefann said:
Slightly off-topic....
My sister ended up getting pregnant unexpectedly. My BIL had a vasectomy, but they hadn't been cleared for non-contraceptive sex yet. But they were having a problem with their insurance, so she was "forced" off the pill (since they didn't want to just pay for it). So she ends up pregnant, and mentioned once that "we only weren't careful 3 times." I told her that I hoped it was triplets. (She has a science background and one of her pet peeves is people who say "I couldn't be pregnant because we only had sex once!")

Scary stuff! I wish we could just turn it on and off, and no one would ever have a problem when they were ready...

that's funny.

I went off the pill in June and didn't get a period for 7 weeks. Then I got one, then nothing for another 7 weeks. I took a test the 7th week and it was positive. I was only 4 weeks along, but I figured if I wasn't getting a normal period then I was ovulating. My now bulging belly disagrees!!

well then...i'll just relax and wait for it to show up. makes it fun.... will i be preggo, will i not be preggo.... Should somehow turn it into a booking game of somesort.... Book a show on the date that Amanda finds out she's preggo and you and your guests get (insert something here)... ok...i'm running on lack of sleep and quite possibly low blood sugar...but seeing how i've eaten everything in sight today that can't possibly be the problem. GRRRRRR

mandydollie said:
well then...i'll just relax and wait for it to show up. makes it fun.... will i be preggo, will i not be preggo.... Should somehow turn it into a booking game of somesort.... Book a show on the date that Amanda finds out she's preggo and you and your guests get (insert something here)...

ok...i'm running on lack of sleep and quite possibly low blood sugar...but seeing how i've eaten everything in sight today that can't possibly be the problem. GRRRRRR

Maybe you are pregnant!! hehe.... I think that the (insert something here) could be "to babysit" :)

Good LUck Amanda! We all can't wait to be aunts!!!:p :p I guess I feel like you guys are family! I'm on here so darn much!;)

good idea with the babysitting idea!!!!! I never thought of that!

I did a show on October 10th and brought a ton of stuff, carried it all in and set everything up. The host and her friend said they couldn't help because they were both preggo so I loaded and unloaded everything myself (2 flights of stairs too!) and thought I was going to die when I was done! Three days later I found out I was preggo too!! I should have made them help, LOL!

no doubt...that sucks that they wouldn't help at least carry some of the lighter things.

I got pregnant my first cycle off the pill, which coincidentally was one week after the wedding. Had my period, didn't start the next pack and boom! What stunk was we weren't planning on kids so soon.

Mandy
The first time I got preggo after the pill it took me 4 months, my 2nd pregnancy I did not even have a cycle and #3 I had one cyle before getting preggo

Well Amanda... Seems like we are shipmates since I am in the same boat. I stopped my BC in November. (The Nuva-Ring) I had a period in Dec. One in Jan and none in Feb so far? I have taken test after test after test and NOTHING?! I told my DH that if I ever win the lotto I am going to give a HUGE SUM to Pregnancy research so I can find out "when it happens" rather than FIVE days sooner. lol. ... Man stressful huh?

I think it was Ann who is also trying and had a great website she went to. I got to see what it was about and now I just have to wait for my period to begin "charting".... She might post it again. I am unsure what the sites name is. Good Luck!

mentioned once that "we only weren't careful 3 times."

Ann my sister said the same thing to me when she got preggo

I went off the pill Dec 02 (we got married June 02) had my last mens over Christmas by Jan 31 I was tested and preggers...I wouldn't suggest getting PG so quickly (believe me I heard many people tell me why OY) but I pretty much didn't have mine back until Sept 05 (between two babies and all those preg horomones it was so nice, NEVER missed it)

Good luck!

OH and just in case the pregnancy horomones double like every two days so if ONE test says neg test in week test again and it might say/show differently! (I should have read all the responses someone may have told you that already)

Last edited:
purrbal said:
I went off the pill Dec 02 (we got married June 02) had my last mens over Christmas by Jan 31 I was tested and preggers...I wouldn't suggest getting PG so quickly (believe me I heard many people tell me why OY) but I pretty much didn't have mine back until Sept 05 (between two babies and all those preg horomones it was so nice, NEVER missed it)

Good luck!

OH and just in case the pregnancy horomones double like every two days so if ONE test says neg test in week test again and it might say/show differently! (I should have read all the responses someone may have told you that already)

That is good to know!!! Off to buy a test....;)

Well, let us know the results if you take a test:) I can't remember if I had irregular cycles after going off the pill or not. Seems like I was preggo within a couple months though...

i stopped at picked up a test yesterday but trying to hold off on taking it for a couple of days. Right now i'm only 5 days late (based on my cycle while on the pill)... so I'm trying to be patient. My DH thought he was cute last night and kept asking me if I had a baby inside of me. WELL.... I told him that I didn't know, but to bring me a snack just in case the little pea pod was hungry. I'm hopeful but not getting my hopes up!

Margie... I'm anxious to find out what your test said.... let us know

If I'm not mistaken, Margie is already pregnant.

well she was off to buy a test this morning so i assumed she was trying

I think the joke just didn't translate over the web, you know?

Well Shooot![QUOTE SillyChef] Well Amanda... Seems like we are shipmates since I am in the same boat. I stopped my BC in November. (The Nuva-Ring) I had a period in Dec. One in Jan and none in Feb so far? I have taken test after test after test and NOTHING?! I told my DH that if I ever win the lotto I am going to give a HUGE SUM to Pregnancy research so I can find out "when it happens" rather than FIVE days sooner. lol. ... Man stressful huh?

I think it was Ann who is also trying and had a great website she went to. I got to see what it was about and now I just have to wait for my period to begin "charting".... She might post it again. I am unsure what the sites name is. Good Luck![/QUOTE]

I guess I thought she was trying as well.

Shoot
SillyChef said:
Well Amanda... Seems like we are shipmates since I am in the same boat. I stopped my BC in November. (The Nuva-Ring) I had a period in Dec. One in Jan and none in Feb so far? I have taken test after test after test and NOTHING?! I told my DH that if I ever win the lotto I am going to give a HUGE SUM to Pregnancy research so I can find out "when it happens" rather than FIVE days sooner. lol. ... Man stressful huh?

I think it was Ann who is also trying and had a great website she went to. I got to see what it was about and now I just have to wait for my period to begin "charting".... She might post it again. I am unsure what the sites name is. Good Luck!

Well I guess I took it as she was also trying. My bad!

I'm confused, I think she is trying as well!! Margie - Where are you? We need this cleared up ;)

Amanda,
TAKE THE TEST! TAKE THE TEST! LOL!!! :D
Can you tell I have no patience when it comes to these things?! I always tested on about my first missed day. That's why I always bought multi-packs. :)
FYI - I was on Depo after having my second and we decided on his 1st birthday to go off of BC because it "could" take up to one year to begin ovulating again. About 2 weeks after not getting my scheduled shot, I had a light period. I tested a month after that because I thought I should have it. Negative. So, I thought I was just getiing back on track after the Depo. NOPE! I was preggo, just not far enough along yet! Trying to figure out his due date was fun, though. Since I had had one period within about a two year time span! LOL!
Good luck! It will happen when it is meant to be! I'll be thinking of you and hoping for the best! :)

Margie is already trying- it is in her siggy. I think Debbie was just making a joke that would be funny if she said it out loud, but typing it doesn't work as well.

Good luck to everyone that is trying!!

britishchef said:

I totally agree. This book helped me not only to get pregnant, but also to NOT get pregnant when we weren't planning.

mandydollie said:
Margie... I'm anxious to find out what your test said.... let us know

I am anxious to see what your test says!!! :D

gilliandanielle said:
Margie is already trying- it is in her siggy. I think Debbie was just making a joke that would be funny if she said it out loud, but typing it doesn't work as well.

Good luck to everyone that is trying!!

Yes, ladies I am trying... Which it is REALLY hard to be patient. I have taken prego tests within the past two weeks and they have been neg. I was actually feeling like it will NEVER happen. Then.. I talk to my cousin and she said that she took a nest and it was neg. and then a week or two after took another and it was pos. So that just got my hopes up! lol. ... We will see in due time though...

Good luck to you all!!

SillyChef said:
... We will see in due time though...
LMAO!! Sounds like a KG joke!!

I'm so confused....

Deb, why are you confused hun???

Marcie, did you take your test????

<h2>1. How long does it take for my cycle to return to normal after going off birth control?</h2><p>It varies for each person, but it can take some time for your body to adjust after stopping birth control. It may take a few months for your cycle to regulate and become regular again.</p><h2>2. Should I take a pregnancy test if my period is late after going off birth control?</h2><p>It's always a good idea to take a pregnancy test if your period is late, especially if you have been sexually active. Birth control can sometimes affect your hormone levels and make your period irregular, but it's always better to be sure.</p><h2>3. Can going off birth control affect my fertility?</h2><p>No, going off birth control should not affect your fertility in the long term. Your body may need some time to adjust and regulate your cycle, but it should not affect your ability to conceive in the future.</p><h2>4. Is it normal to have a delayed period after going off birth control?</h2><p>Yes, it is normal for your period to be delayed or irregular after going off birth control. This is because your body needs time to adjust and regulate its own hormone production.</p><h2>5. When should I see a doctor if my period is still irregular after going off birth control?</h2><p>If your period is consistently irregular or you are experiencing other symptoms, it may be a good idea to consult with your doctor. They can help determine if there are any underlying issues and provide guidance on how to regulate your cycle.</p>

1. How long does it take for my cycle to return to normal after going off birth control?

It varies for each person, but it can take some time for your body to adjust after stopping birth control. It may take a few months for your cycle to regulate and become regular again.

2. Should I take a pregnancy test if my period is late after going off birth control?

It's always a good idea to take a pregnancy test if your period is late, especially if you have been sexually active. Birth control can sometimes affect your hormone levels and make your period irregular, but it's always better to be sure.

3. Can going off birth control affect my fertility?

No, going off birth control should not affect your fertility in the long term. Your body may need some time to adjust and regulate your cycle, but it should not affect your ability to conceive in the future.

4. Is it normal to have a delayed period after going off birth control?

Yes, it is normal for your period to be delayed or irregular after going off birth control. This is because your body needs time to adjust and regulate its own hormone production.

5. When should I see a doctor if my period is still irregular after going off birth control?

If your period is consistently irregular or you are experiencing other symptoms, it may be a good idea to consult with your doctor. They can help determine if there are any underlying issues and provide guidance on how to regulate your cycle.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Kodeysmom
Replies
Views
Ish
  • pampered1224
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224