• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Octopus Cake Ideas: Tips for a Birthday Surprise!

In summary, my son has decided this is what he wants for his birthday. I thought I coudl use the batter bowl to do the body, but any ideas for the "arms" Any tips would be great!!!!!Twinkies laid end-to-end? Fruit by the Foot?OOOHHH Ann you are so clever...I love the twinkie idea.You could even cut Tw
cjdrish
Has anyone done an octopus cake? my son has decided this is what he wants for his birthday. I thought I coudl use the batter bowl to do the body, but any ideas for the "arms" Any tips would be great!!!!!

Twinkies laid end-to-end? Fruit by the Foot?

OOOHHH Ann you are so clever...I love the twinkie idea.

You could even cut Twinkies in half so they're not as thick and you don't need as many. :) AND, by using Twinkies for the tentacles, you can use chocolate cake for the body and have 2 different flavors!

if you can get the twinkie carved where some are curved upward you can add sprees to the bottom for the suction cups

Teresa Lynn said:
if you can get the twinkie carved where some are curved upward you can add sprees to the bottom for the suction cups

or gummy lifesavers

My first thought would be cutting a sheet cake in waves and then laying them out/around.

Cool idea, Teresa!

I'm picturing a purple octopus, but that's probably because the one that ends up all over town here when the Wings make the playoffs is purple. :)
The Good Eats area on the Food Network website has a frosting recipe that's made from avocado. It's supposed to be better for you than buttercream because of the good fats (and vitamins) in avocados.

hmmm... it's a lemon flavored frosting, so it wouldn't necessarily be good with chocolate cake. But you could use yellow cake and tint it green to match the frosting. :) http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_32238,00.html?rsrc=search

What about Twizzlers?

Teresa Lynn said:

I think the kids would like it if you even put gummy lifesavers down the one side of all of the tentacles! (not sure if you will be able to curve it upward??)

I know I may be stoned for saying this, but Williams-Sonoma has a really cute pan for this (not a creative way of doing it, but sometimes easy is nice...)

1. How do I make an octopus cake?

To make an octopus cake, you will need a round cake, eight cupcakes, and icing. First, place the round cake on a large plate or cake stand. Cut four of the cupcakes in half and place them around the edge of the cake to create the octopus's tentacles. Use the remaining four cupcakes to create the head of the octopus. Cover the cake and cupcakes with icing, using different colors to create a fun and colorful design. You can also use candy or fondant to add details such as eyes and a mouth.

2. How can I make an octopus cake without using cupcakes?

If you don't have cupcakes, you can use cake scraps or extra pieces of cake to create the tentacles and head of the octopus. Simply shape the cake pieces into the desired octopus shape and use icing to hold them together. You can also use a round cake and cut it into eight equal wedges to create the tentacles.

3. Can I use a specific type of cake for an octopus cake?

You can use any type of cake for an octopus cake, but it is recommended to use a dense and sturdy cake such as a pound cake or sponge cake. This will help the cake hold its shape and prevent it from falling apart when adding the tentacles and decorations.

4. How far in advance can I make an octopus cake?

You can make the octopus cake a day in advance and store it in the refrigerator. However, it is best to add the tentacles and decorations closer to the time of serving to ensure they stay fresh and do not become soggy.

5. Can I use a cake mix to make an octopus cake?

Yes, you can use a cake mix to make an octopus cake. Simply follow the instructions on the cake mix box to bake the cake, and then use the instructions above to assemble and decorate the octopus cake. You can also use a store-bought cake if you prefer. The most important thing is to have fun and be creative with your design!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jessamary
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Jessamary
  • ChefPaulaB
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefheidi2003
  • wadesgirl