• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

North Carolinans, I Would Like Your Input! :)

In summary, Kacey loves the weather, New Bern is a great town, and she would love to live near an airforce base.
Kitchen Diva
Gold Member
Hi all! My DH and I are seriously considering moving to NC within the next 18 months.

I want to know what you love about NC, where you live-using Raleigh and Durham as starting points, what you don't like, what city would you live in if you could...anything you can tell me to help us with our decision would be great!

We are in MN right now- we're both from here, but DH is retired Air Force, and let's say we've had our fill of MN. DH's kids and grandbabies live in SC and TN, so NC seemed like a nice compromise, plus it's not too close to his Ex. If I lived too close to her I may be tempted to steal a lock of her hair and practice voodoo retribution on her. So it's best that we be at least a days drive away.

I'm not sure if I want us to be in the rolling hills, or in closer to the ocean. I do know I'd like to be close to one of the Air Force bases, at least within 30-45 minutes of one...

Any thoughts, advice or tips are welcome and truly appreciated! Thanks everyone and Happy NEW YEAR!!!

I am in New Bern (15 min from Cherry Pt, 30 min from Camp Lejeune and 45 min from Seymour Johnson). I can't say enough good things about my town. I was born and raised here - got married in 1980 and DH and I were stationed overseas and then in NoVa from 87 until 2001. I can't tell you how good it feels to be back home. New Bern is the colonial capital, a restored beautiful downtown on the water with fresh seafood and quaint little shops. We are 2 hours from I-95 and 30 min from the beaches.

Today it was 65 degrees. I wore flipflops. Not to tell you it doesnt get cold here. Wed it is sup to be 40. After NoVa, that is not cold. It was no choice for me as to where to live when we retired, I knew I wanted to come back home. I'm a beach girl thru and thru. Raleigh is just too busy for me, but the suburbs are fine. It is all in what you are looking for. There are many reps on here from NC and they will all tell you I'm sure what a great state we are.

If I want the mountains, I just head west. My brother is in TN so it is a good excuse. quiverfull on here (Diane) is in my cluster and we would welcome you with open arms - any of us NC girls would. If you want more info on New Bern (since you want to be near an airforce base), I'll be glad to forward you some links.

edited to say, my neighbor across the street is from MN - I dont know what town tho. They love it here and dont miss the cold winters one bit!

Last edited:
Too funny Kacey! My recruiter has been considering moving there since summer. Time isn't right for them but they are planning still!

I visited New Bern - not Cindy of course - didn't know her then - but it was a neat little city!

NC is a pretty state I have friends just outside of Ashville in the counrty (Burnsville) and it's very pretty there. How rural do you want to get?

You should PM Beth Brigham (bethcooks4u) she lives in NC.

I have lived in NC all of my life. I live in Charlotte and we are 2 1/2 hours from the mountains/3 /12 hours to the beaches. Our winters are typically mild but we sometimes do get snow (rarely). We have true seasons and everyone is very friendly.

I can't imagine living anywhere else. I lived in Atlanta for 4 years and moved back to be closer to family.

Our schools in some areas are lacking though. Good luck in your decision.

I moved from the Western part of Massachusetts to McLeansville, NC in May 2006. (We relocated due to our mill relocating its manufacturing from there to here). This is the former hometown of Chris Daughtry. We are about 50 minutes west of Raleigh. We are about 4.5 hours from Myrtle Beach, SC, and 4.5 hours from the Knoxville, TN area. (I am about 3 or more hours from Cindycooks and quiverfull, and approx. 30 minutes from Beth Brigham). I don't think we are too close to any bases in this area.

I love the NC weather. It was about 57 today. It was so great being able to go out for a walk with the kids. If I was "home" in MA, I would be suffering from cabin fever. We also got about 2.5 times the house for $20k less than what we sold our home for.

We have lived in NC for 10 years and LOVE IT!! We live in the middle of the state so 3 hours to the beach and 2 1/2 hours to the mountains. We love the weather and everything about it! Let us know where you end up!

pamperedlinda said:
NC is a pretty state I have friends just outside of Ashville in the counrty (Burnsville) and it's very pretty there. How rural do you want to get?

You should PM Beth Brigham (bethcooks4u) she lives in NC.
We want more suburbs than rural. We currently live in a suburb of St. Paul, MN- so we are close to Minneapolis, and St. Paul. When we lived in NE, we lived in Omaha and suburbs of Omaha, and when we lived in MD- we lived in the middle of DC and Baltimore in a city called Columbia, and we also lived in Annapolis.

I love to be close to everything- at least 45 minutes tops from and airport, and no further than 45 minutes from a Military Base. I have missed the Commissary like you wouldn't believe! Regular grocery stores are NOT my thing- :) Commissary's are more affordable, that's for sure. DH is not sure where to look for work- he's in HR/recruiting, and makes big bucks, so that's a concern for him as well- will he be able to replicate his salary down in NC that he has up here. I told him with as much as they tax his pay (almost 35%) he could afford to take a pay cut, and he wouldn't miss the money.

I've been looking online and there are even more jobs for me in NC than what is up here in MN. Everything is towards Minneapolis, and I'm not going to sit in traffic for 90 minutes for a 30 mile drive for a part time job...all my money would go to gas and parking!

I guess I'd like us to be within a couple hours of the beach and a couple hours of the mountains. I'd like to be near a big enough city that has a nice sized mall with a decent department store, I'd like to be in an area that has nice restaurants, shopping, Best Buy for the hubby... and a CHIC-FIL-A! I can't wait to eat that again! Mmmmm chicken nuggets, waffle fries and a lemonade! Mmmmmm

We are in the very early stages, and basically don't want to be out in the boonies, but also don't want to be downtown in a big city, either...

Bren706 said:
I moved from the Western part of Massachusetts to McLeansville, NC in May 2006. (We relocated due to our mill relocating its manufacturing from there to here). This is the former hometown of Chris Daughtry. We are about 50 minutes west of Raleigh. We are about 4.5 hours from Myrtle Beach, SC, and 4.5 hours from the Knoxville, TN area. (I am about 3 or more hours from Cindycooks and quiverfull, and approx. 30 minutes from Beth Brigham). I don't think we are too close to any bases in this area.

I love the NC weather. It was about 57 today. It was so great being able to go out for a walk with the kids. If I was "home" in MA, I would be suffering from cabin fever. We also got about 2.5 times the house for $20k less than what we sold our home for.

I have been looking at the homes online, and we live in a 4 bedroom home on almost 2/3rd of a maturly landscaped acre...our home is worth about
$300-$325K- I found much newer and nicer homes for $195K-$240K in the Greenville/Winterville area- very nice!!!

We too are tired of the snow, but our dogs love it. That is my only concern. We would have to get a pool! Both our dogs LOVE cool and cold weather, and LOVE the snow more than a car ride!

Do you guys get affected from the Hurricane's? (cindycooks and quiverfull)???

I live in Wilmington, NC. Personally I'm not a fan, but I came from NYC and I've realized that I'm just a big city girl. We (husband and I) thought it would be a smart move for us. We were able to buy a house and I'm currently in nursing school (which is super cheap), so in two years we are out of here and back to the big city. With that said, mostly everyone here loves it. Wilmington is definately a cool place to live. I'm 10-15 min from two different beaches, I think about 3 hours from the mountains, 45 minutes from jacksonville (camp lejune), 1 1/2 hours away from fayatteville, 10 minutes from an airport, 2 hours from raleigh, 3 hours from charlotte, 45 minutes from mytle beach (they have great outlets) and a partridge in a pear tree. Sorry that's my attempt at being funny. The amount of money you have to spend on a home will get you something very nice here. Also there is a huge artistic community here. We have the largest studio outside of hollywood. Currently the tv show "One Tree Hill" is filmed here. Community theatre here is huge as well as local art exhibits. As for hurricanes, I've been hear for 3 1/2 years and my power went out for 24 hours two hurricanes ago. Annoying, yes, but other than that some flooding around town and trees down, but nothing too major. Hope this helps:) Let me know if you have any more questions...

Doesn't the author Nicholas Sparks write about New Bern, NC in one of his books? I know he writes about NC alot, and that sounds familiar.

If you want both suburbs AND close to an AF base, I would suggest checking out Cary. It's immediately south of Raleigh and about 45 minutes from Pope AFB/Ft Bragg in Fayetteville AND Seymour-Johnson AFB in Goldsboro.

I was stationed at Pope and really liked NC. To my knowledge, no where else is going to give you all you're looking for. Check out some of the other outlying towns on that southern/southeastern edge of Raleigh.

Also, snow is extremely minimal in NC. But when it does snow, WOW! EVERYTHING comes to a halt.

Regarding hurricanes, they do have an impact on the weather though usually minimal. Now, I was there in 98 or 99 when the hurricane hit SC then moved up towards us and it was crazy. I'd never experienced anything like that but the majority of damage in the Fayetteville area was high winds and downed trees. Nothing requiring evacuation.

Good luck!

Doesn't the author Nicholas Sparks write about New Bern, NC in one of his books? I know he writes about NC alot, and that sounds familiar.
Nicholas Sparks lives here on the river and most of his books are based in this area. I know him and see him alot - he is really just a regular guy, very involved in track at the highschool - when I see him tho its pretty cool!

We are not what I would consider rural anymore - we are growing like crazy with 10K more marines due to arrive around us within the next 2 years. Our mall could be better but we do have Target! If I want a big mall, I head to Greenville or Jacksonville (30 min) - or south to Wilmington where my oldest daughter lives. Its all a fun day trip.

You mentioned Greenville or Winterville - nice area, East Carolina Univ is there - 30 min from me and it has everything.

The Cary area south of Raleigh is wonderful and may be more of what you are looking for if you want that much shopping. Wilmington did come to mind too. Keep in mind we are a L O N G state - theres really no where you can be where you are a couple miles from the beach and a couple miles from the mountains.

Last edited:
I LOVE :love: NC!!! I lived in SC for 8 years, and always wanted to move to NC....but ended up back in MI somehow!:rolleyes:

I used to make daytrips and weekend trips to NC all the time - just because it was so beautiful there...and so many great little towns.

I do remember in 1989, when Hurricane Hugo hit (I was living in Columbia SC). It made landfall between Charleston & Myrtle Beach, and then traveled up the coast. The greatest damage was in SC, but I remember NC along the coast, and especially the Outer Banks, being hit pretty hard too. That was a Category 4 hurricane, and one of the eeriest times I have lived through.

And one other time, a year or 2 before that - there was a big snowstorm in NC & SC around New Years - 12 inches of snow in the mountains of NC and Northern SC....we only had about 3 inches where I lived - but there was also ice involved.
EVERYTHING - and I mean EVERYTHING was shut down! Trucks couldn't get through the mountain highways, and they called in the National Guard....Grocery Store shelves were bare (couldn't get deliveries!) and kids in Columbia got an extended Christmas vacation....into the 3rd week of January!
The biggest problem was that there just wasn't enough of or the right kind of snow removal equipment needed to take care of the problem, so they were having to ship in salt and equipment from Northern states....but it was the middle of winter, and so it was all at a premium!
That is actually a fun memory....it was a fun time for kids who were using cookie sheets (Metal not stone!:D ) and large pieces of cardboard, and anything else they could find for a once in a lifetime sledding experience!

LOL Becky - the ultimate redneck sled here is an old car hood, turned upside down (sorta like a saucer) and being pulled behind daddys pickup down the street. No hills here on the coast so we had to make do with whatever we could think of! It seemed to snow more when I was a child. The last big snowfall I remember here was 3 or 4 years ago...heck we close school if there are 3 flakes!

we lived in Raleigh and then Cary, but this was about 14 years ago. However, I adored :love: the area-alot to do and see, good cost of living (although Cary was more expensive since it was growing like crazy then...). Most of the people there were transplants from elsewhere and everyone, transplants included, were really friendly.
I worked in RTP and had no trouble finding a job.

My hubby went to college at East Carolina University which is in Greenville. Rural eastern NC is just that...rural. But Greenville has a great hospital and the university is growing by leaps and bounds!

We had thought we would move back at some point, but now that we have roots here in central VA, we wouldn't. I still love to visit and was just in Raleigh for a Directors Training Day~got to sleep with Beth!:blushing:

Gosh, we were left here by the military. We've been here for ten years and five days (but who's counting??!!). We live in Fayetteville (Fort Bragg). Honestly, if I had it to do over again knowing what I know now - I would never move to Fayetteville!! We're here now and know the area and have GREAT friends so we stay. The location is nice - two hours from the beach and three from the mountains.

I don't like the hurricanes!! I came from WV so no hurricanes or tornadoes there! I CAN'T STAND the fact that we don't get snow here.

Dang those good friends of ours who make it worth our while to stay!!

As for Greenville - I have only heard lovely things about it.

Good luck with your decision!!

Wow- this is great stuff guys!:D Thanks guys for ALL your input!
I only ask about the hurricanes because DH went through Hugo when he lived in SC! He was in the Air Force at the time, and had two young kids (with his practice wife/ex-wife) I guess it was pretty scary for a while, and the first night they had over 100 tornados...anywho- he's a bit skittish around storms. Me, I would be a tornado chaser if I could.

I live so close to any store I need to get something from- I live by an Archiver's scrap booking store, Best Buy, Target, Kohl's, WalMart, Talbots, Coldwater Creek, Trader Joe's, PetSmart, PetCo, Linen's-n-Things, Pier One, Costco World Market, Ulta, Joann Fabrics and crafts, Michaels, several movie theaters, several malls, Sears, Home Depot, Office Depot, etc....and not to mention the Mall of America is only 30 miuntes from my house. I don't go there often- too crowded, and it's where the gangs hang out. There is an IKEA across the street, and we've been there twice-(that place is a fire hazzard waiting to happen), there are so many people shoved in there that you can barely move without stepping on someone, or someone's child.

Interestingly enough, I'm not a big fan of shopping, but if I need something, or I'm bored, I don't want to travel an hour to get something. Especially groceries.
When we lived in Maryland, I'd go to the regular grocery stores during the week for things we normally ran out of quickly like bread, milk and eggs...but once a week, or once every two weeks, I'd take the drive to Andrews Air Force Base to the Commisary, and get enough food to last until the next big trip. We did live about 4 blocks from the Army Base (name escapes me for some reason) and they had a nasty commisary, but remodeled it shortly before we moved.

I do miss Dunkin Donuts- do you all that those in NC? Krispy Kreme's came up here about 4 years ago, and didn't last but a year or two. We are huge bagel eaters up here. For some reason we also have a lot of food snobs, and donuts I guess are bad for your body- who knew!

I like the houses I've seen in Greenville, and Winterville, I'll have to check out Cary, and Goldsboro next. We do NOT want to spend more than $240K on a home, as we'd like to try and cut our monthly costs, especially since my husband will more than likely not be able to match his current salary. So far what he has seen, he'd have to take a $10-20K pay cut annually for the same job he's doing up here.

But he applied for a job at Coca-Cola last night. I told him unless a company was willing to relocate us, we should probably put some money in the bank first, so we can actually afford to move! LOL

Your info is all so helpful, I need to print it out and put it in my NC folder!

THANKS! :)

Kitchen Diva said:
I like the houses I've seen in Greenville, and Winterville, I'll have to check out Cary, and Goldsboro next. We do NOT want to spend more than $240K on a home, as we'd like to try and cut our monthly costs, especially since my husband will more than likely not be able to match his current salary. So far what he has seen, he'd have to take a $10-20K pay cut annually for the same job he's doing up here.

Ummm, just my personal opinion, but there is NO WAY I would move to Goldsboro. In my opinion, Fayetteville has FAR more to offer. The mall in Goldsboro SUCKS (or it did the last time I was there). Some of the anchor stores had actually closed down. Fayetteville has FAR better shopping. AND the base(s) offers more. The Cary area has everything you could want EXCEPT a military Commissary.

PamperedChefDebi said:
Ummm, just my personal opinion, but there is NO WAY I would move to Goldsboro. In my opinion, Fayetteville has FAR more to offer. The mall in Goldsboro SUCKS (or it did the last time I was there). Some of the anchor stores had actually closed down. Fayetteville has FAR better shopping. AND the base(s) offers more. The Cary area has everything you could want EXCEPT a military Commissary.

Thanks for the info! I am taking all the help I can get in this area! :) DH has been chatting up with some of his online motorcycle buddies and they are telling him to stay away from Durham, because it's dumpy. Is that true?

I sort of giggle when I hear bikers talking about dumpy places, because the stereotype of bikers is that they aren't the classiest of people. Thankfully DH is classy, and we frequent local Dairy Queen ice cream places more than we visit biker bar dives... hee-hee :rolleyes:

climbercanoe3 said:

What books does he write? His name is not familiar to me.

Ditto on you dont want Goldsboro. Just nothing exciting about it. I'd give Greenville serious consideration if I was you - no commissary but you can go to the one here on base or Goldsboro in less than an hour and that is not something you would go to every week anyway. Other than that, they have everything - Sams Club tho, not Costco. Brand new Kohls.

What books does he write? His name is not familiar to me.
Sappy romance books but I love them. Message in a Bottle, The Notebook, Bend in the Road, Nights in Rodanthe (which just got thru filming here - Richard Gere - mmmmmm). Dear John, The Wedding - somebody else help me out here.

oh, I'm a strange one, and really only like Harry Potter Books. How bad is that?
Say, is there a base close (within 45 minutes) to Cary that has a Commissary? How about down where Diane (quiverfull) lives in the New Bern/ Washington area?

What are y'all's (trying my new lingo) thoughts on cities west of Raleigh? We've pretty much covered East! :)

Again, you all have been super with the info- thanks so much! Feel free to email me personally if you'd rather
[email protected]

Cindycooks said:
Sappy romance books but I love them. Message in a Bottle, The Notebook, Bend in the Road, Nights in Rodanthe (which just got thru filming here - Richard Gere - mmmmmm). Dear John, The Wedding - somebody else help me out here.
I do believe he wrote A Walk to Remember. Very good book. The Notebook was also a movie and a Walk to Remember too.
Nothing like a sappy romance, good wine and a box of tissues to get through a cold winter night ;)

Evelynt said:
I do believe he wrote A Walk to Remember. Very good book. The Notebook was also a movie and a Walk to Remember too.
Nothing like a sappy romance, good wine and a box of tissues to get through a cold winter night ;)
That's what fudge and popcorn are for! Up here we have Fleece Bathrobes...so cozy! :)
But a box of wine is good, too! Hee-hee;) ;)

Kitchen Diva said:
oh, I'm a strange one, and really only like Harry Potter Books. How bad is that?
Say, is there a base close (within 45 minutes) to Cary that has a Commissary? How about down where Diane (quiverfull) lives in the New Bern/ Washington area?

What are y'all's (trying my new lingo) thoughts on cities west of Raleigh? We've pretty much covered East! :)

Again, you all have been super with the info- thanks so much! Feel free to email me personally if you'd rather
[email protected]

Pope AFB/Ft Bragg is about 45 minutes from Cary.

The cities west of Raleigh, especially Charlotte, are aweseome too. Anything in RTP. BUT, there is NOTHING military west of Raleigh.

What Debi said - Pope is abouit 45 min south of Cary/Raleigh. Seymour Johnson is in Goldsboro, about an hour east of Cary. (the name Seymour Johnson just kills me - think about it....)

Washington (where quiverfull lives) is about 30 min north of me in New Bern - I'm central to Camp Lejeune and Cherry Pt, both being within 30 min. Washington is further out but not too bad.

Western part of the state - no military due to the hills I guess.

PamperedChefDebi said:
Pope AFB/Ft Bragg is about 45 minutes from Cary.

The cities west of Raleigh, especially Charlotte, are aweseome too. Anything in RTP. BUT, there is NOTHING military west of Raleigh.
What is RTP?

Thanks for the good info. I just heard from Quiverfull that your taxes (income) are pretty steep. Poor DH thought you didn't have income taxes in NC.

Kitchen Diva said:
What is RTP?

Thanks for the good info. I just heard from Quiverfull that your taxes (income) are pretty steep. Poor DH thought you didn't have income taxes in NC.

Research Triangle Park = Raleigh, Durham, and Charlotte, I think, and the area in between.

close - its Raleigh, Durham & Chapel Hill.

Cindycooks said:
close - its Raleigh, Durham & Chapel Hill.

Thanks Cindy! Though Charlotte is nice also. :thumbup:

Thanks guys!!! :)

Looks like it will be soonerI guess DH says he wants to move within a year... shoot I'd better get busy, and find a job so I can make some money for this move-

I'm so happy I'll at least know people where we'll be moving. With all my past military moves with DH, we never knew anyone, and it was hard on us. This is cool that CS has helped me meet people in a state that we will be moving to.

Anyone want to help us unpack? Free pizza and koolaid and oreo truffles!!!:chef:

Kitchen Diva said:
I guess DH says he wants to move within a year... shoot I'd better get busy, and find a job so I can make some money for this move-

I'm so happy I'll at least know people where we'll be moving. With all my past military moves with DH, we never knew anyone, and it was hard on us. This is cool that Chef Success has helped me meet people in a state that we will be moving to.

Anyone want to help us unpack? Free pizza and koolaid and oreo truffles!!!:chef:

Sorry, I already drank the Koolaid - remember?

janetupnorth said:
Sorry, I already drank the Koolaid - remember?
well, I can't serve beer...I guess I could say pizza and sodas! :)

Having been born and raised about 30 minutes from Fayetteville, NC I can honestly say it's not as bad as many say. Hubby is a former paratrooper(I had to date outside my county because of so many relatives) who hated Ft. Bragg til he met me and got out into the country. I've only ever lived away from here for the 2 years we were stationed at Ft. Hood, TX(talk about a duty staion we hated). We live in a small town about 45 minutes from Fayetteville now(45 minutes-hour to Wilmington). Check the areas around Fayetteville like Harnett County, Moore County, Hoke County......and if you're looking to get a place out in the country but still close to a good-sized city, check out Bladen or Sampson counties. I love this area. Let me know if you want specific info on the Fayetteville area and things like property taxes in the area.

Not having school-aged children in Fayetteville is a big plus for you! That was the first thing I went and looked for in your siggy.

Greensboro is about 50 minutes west of Raleigh, and like mentioned above, there are no military bases around. High Point, and Thomasville (near Greensboro) is known for the Furniture Market. We have many stores in the area: Sam's Club, Costco, Kohls, Targets (3), Walmart (4-5), Four Seasons Mall, Belk, Dillards, Home Depot (3-4), Lowes' and many more. We have a Wet n Wild water park here, a Childrens' Museum, Natural Science Center, and Coliseum. The zoo is only 40 minutes away. The Raleigh Durham International Airport is 50 minutes away, and we also have the Piedmont Triad International Airport right here in Greensboro (flights are a little more expensive though). Charlotte is 90 minutes away. I am pretty sure we have a Coca-Cola Bottling company here as well.

There are a lot of new homes being built in the area, and I am confident you would find something in your price range.

Even though you don't like to shop, it is nice to have the store there if you need it. Wilmington is finally catching up. We have almost every store you mentioned EXCEPT trader joe's and ikea. Those are two of my favorite stores, so it really puts a strain on me. I have to shop there once a year when I visit my family in Pittsburgh. Check out Leland and Winnabow. They are across the bridge from Wilmington so it's so much cheaper to live there. There are a ton of new housing communities going up in those parts. Here is a great real estate agents website here in Wilmington: http://www.tinaabraham.com/.Good Luck!

my siggy? hee-hee
pamperedape said:
Not having school-aged children in Fayetteville is a big plus for you! That was the first thing I went and looked for in your siggy.
I wish we had kids...just isn't in the stars. But yes, that is a great plus- that we don't have to worry about finding schools, etc. The biggest challenge will be the timing- selling the house once DH gets a job in NC- God is really gonna get some props throughout this entire adventure, that's for sure- this can only happen with Him at the helm...it's too darn close to impossible otherwise! :)

daniellemorgan said:
Even though you don't like to shop, it is nice to have the store there if you need it. Wilmington is finally catching up. We have almost every store you mentioned EXCEPT trader joe's and ikea. Those are two of my favorite stores, so it really puts a strain on me. I have to shop there once a year when I visit my family in Pittsburgh.

Check out Leland and Winnabow. They are across the bridge from Wilmington so it's so much cheaper to live there. There are a ton of new housing communities going up in those parts. Here is a great real estate agents website here in Wilmington: http://www.tinaabraham.com/.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the link- that is SOOOO helpful! when you google NC real estate some really goofy stuff pops up! :)

Bren706 said:
Greensboro is about 50 minutes west of Raleigh, and like mentioned above, there are no military bases around. High Point, and Thomasville (near Greensboro) is known for the Furniture Market. We have many stores in the area: Sam's Club, Costco, Kohls, Targets (3), Walmart (4-5), Four Seasons Mall, Belk, Dillards, Home Depot (3-4), Lowes' and many more. We have a Wet n Wild water park here, a Childrens' Museum, Natural Science Center, and Coliseum. The zoo is only 40 minutes away. The Raleigh Durham International Airport is 50 minutes away, and we also have the Piedmont Triad International Airport right here in Greensboro (flights are a little more expensive though). Charlotte is 90 minutes away. I am pretty sure we have a Coca-Cola Bottling company here as well.

There are a lot of new homes being built in the area, and I am confident you would find something in your price range.

Wow, sounds like quite a bit to do in those areas! I need to print up a large map and write next to each city the info you guys have given me, and then go from there! I wonder how much Kinko's would charge to blow up my Atlas Map of NC? I'm thinking 3x3 foot oughta do it :)

Looks like I'll be hitting the pavement for a FT job on Monday the 7th!

Kitchen Diva said:
Thanks for the link- that is SOOOO helpful! when you google NC real estate some really goofy stuff pops up! :)

She's a great lady and honest!! I've dealt with a ton of idiot real estate agents down here. The lady who sold me my house was the worst!! I know Tina through my gym and she definately is not an idiot:)

My brother and sister-in-law are talking about moving to NC - Ashville or Charlotte, it rather sounds like. It's pretty up in the air right now. But NC is a beautiful state from all I've heard. I just wish Michigan was closer. ;)

Realtors-
daniellemorgan said:
She's a great lady and honest!! I've dealt with a ton of idiot real estate agents down here. The lady who sold me my house was the worst!! I know Tina through my gym and she definately is not an idiot:)
I used to work in the mortgage industry...sadly there are very few unhelpful and clueless realtors. I interviewed over 70 realtors before finding the 3 I was willing to work with full time! :)

How does it work with the attorney's you need in NC to buy a house? Up here in MN you just have a realtor, the title company and your mortgage lender...I heard you needed an attorney to buy a house too? How do they get paid and why do you need one?

I'm off to bed. Sitting at the computer, and watching TV all day has made me tired. LOL I really need to get a job out of the house!!

Thanks again everyone for the input. If I come up with additional questions, I'll selfishly bump this thread to the top again for help! :)

Have a wonderful evening!

Hi Kacey!

Have you considered North Georgia? We sit nicely between South Carolina and Tennessee. We are at the foothills of the mountains so you can get there in 30 minutes to one hour. We are about four hours to the nearest beaches.

I live in Cumming, Georgia, which is about 40 miles north of Atlanta. Our county, Forsyth (not to be confused with the city of Forsyth) is one of the fastest growing in the nation so shopping is quite plentiful. We have all the stores you mentioned, including Dunkin Donuts! I am not 100% sure where the Commissary is located, but my in-laws shop there.

I think one of the best things about our area are the number of businesses very close to here. The cities of Alpharetta, Norcross, Duluth, Roswell and Atlanta (all close to Cumming) are full of large companies. I think the job market in this area would be great in your husband's field.

Just another option to think about.

Lisa

ChefLisa said:
Hi Kacey!

Have you considered North Georgia? We sit nicely between South Carolina and Tennessee. We are at the foothills of the mountains so you can get there in 30 minutes to one hour. We are about four hours to the nearest beaches.

I live in Cumming, Georgia, which is about 40 miles north of Atlanta. Our county, Forsyth (not to be confused with the city of Forsyth) is one of the fastest growing in the nation so shopping is quite plentiful. We have all the stores you mentioned, including Dunkin Donuts! I am not 100% sure where the Commissary is located, but my in-laws shop there.

I think one of the best things about our area are the number of businesses very close to here. The cities of Alpharetta, Norcross, Duluth, Roswell and Atlanta (all close to Cumming) are full of large companies. I think the job market in this area would be great in your husband's field.

Just another option to think about.

Lisa
Hi Lisa! :)
I sent you a PM.

Guess what? We have a city in MN called Duluth, too. It's on the shores of Lake Superior! too funny!

Kitchen Diva said:
How does it work with the attorney's you need in NC to buy a house? Up here in MN you just have a realtor, the title company and your mortgage lender...I heard you needed an attorney to buy a house too? How do they get paid and why do you need one?

I didn't realize having an attorney was a north carolina thing...our attorney was actually a good friend of mine. she pretty much was the go between. she looked over all the paperwork to make sure it was all in order, she has to be at closing, all the bills (pest inspection, home inspection, survey, etc) are sent to her so after closing she sends out all the checks. her fee was included in the closing costs. i believe she charged around $400. i don't know if that is high or low, but i know she's been doing this a long time and she's very good.

hope this helps!

<h2>1. What do you love about North Carolina?</h2><p>I love the beautiful scenery, the friendly people, and the sense of community in North Carolina. There are also so many great outdoor activities to enjoy, from hiking and camping to visiting the beach.</p><h2>2. What don't you like about North Carolina?</h2><p>One downside is the humidity in the summer, but overall there is very little to dislike about North Carolina.</p><h2>3. Which city would you recommend living in near Raleigh and Durham?</h2><p>I highly recommend living in either Raleigh or Durham, as they both offer a great mix of urban and suburban living with plenty of amenities and job opportunities.</p><h2>4. What are some factors to consider when deciding where to live in North Carolina?</h2><p>Some factors to consider include proximity to family and friends, job opportunities, cost of living, and preferred climate and outdoor activities.</p><h2>5. Is there any particular location in North Carolina that you would recommend for someone with ties to the Air Force?</h2><p>If you want to be close to an Air Force base, I would recommend looking into living near either Seymour Johnson Air Force Base in Goldsboro or Pope Field in Fayetteville.</p>

1. What do you love about North Carolina?

I love the beautiful scenery, the friendly people, and the sense of community in North Carolina. There are also so many great outdoor activities to enjoy, from hiking and camping to visiting the beach.

2. What don't you like about North Carolina?

One downside is the humidity in the summer, but overall there is very little to dislike about North Carolina.

3. Which city would you recommend living in near Raleigh and Durham?

I highly recommend living in either Raleigh or Durham, as they both offer a great mix of urban and suburban living with plenty of amenities and job opportunities.

4. What are some factors to consider when deciding where to live in North Carolina?

Some factors to consider include proximity to family and friends, job opportunities, cost of living, and preferred climate and outdoor activities.

5. Is there any particular location in North Carolina that you would recommend for someone with ties to the Air Force?

If you want to be close to an Air Force base, I would recommend looking into living near either Seymour Johnson Air Force Base in Goldsboro or Pope Field in Fayetteville.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
jrstephens
Replies
Views
Admin Greg