• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

North Carolinans, I Would Like Your Input! :)

In summary, Kacey loves the weather, New Bern is a great town, and she would love to live near an airforce base.
Sounds a little like what our title companies do up here.
I was just looking at your state income taxes...HOLY COW! I thought we were taxed to high heaven in MN! At least we don't pay taxes on food or clothing...you guys are getting pilfered! How do you do it? (no offense meant by the way, I just couldn't believe that the cost of living was lower, wages were lower, but taxes were higher than MN which is one of the highest taxed states in the US!) OUCH!

I have to remember this is to be closer to the ocean and mountains, and closer to the nexxus of evil..I mean the step kids and their babies. Sorry the nexxus of evil would be the ex... I'm naughty this morning... I need to go back to bed. I guess being up since 4:30 makes me a bit cranky.

At least I don't think MN is so bad anymore as far as taxes are concerned. I'll just have to look at other good things that NC has to offer to get my mind off the tax thing. One of the reasons we were looking to move from MN is that the taxes are so high. It's getting difficult to for DH to want to make the kind of money he is making when over 30% is sucked up in taxes.

But I digress...

Talk to you all a little later...

Last edited:
I do not know about in NC but in AL attorneys normally charge 1% of the purchase price of the house as their fee. Or at least that is what the attorney that I work for does. I recommened having an attorney for the closing even if you have a realtor and title company. The realtor is going to be more concerned for the sellor b/c that is who they represent and the title company is going to insure you clear title for the house. But you need someone looking over the loan papers and documents that is in it for your best interest and no one else.

jrstephens said:
I do not know about in NC but in AL attorneys normally charge 1% of the purchase price of the house as their fee. Or at least that is what the attorney that I work for does. I recommened having an attorney for the closing even if you have a realtor and title company. The realtor is going to be more concerned for the sellor b/c that is who they represent and the title company is going to insure you clear title for the house. But you need someone looking over the loan papers and documents that is in it for your best interest and no one else.

Don't you guys have buying agents? Up here we have selling and buying agents... example, DH and I want to buy a house- we find ourselves a realtor. On occasion that realtor may have listed a home that we decide we want to buy- which is dual agency, but it's rare, so there is a realtor for the seller and the buyer, and your realtors look out for YOU...not the seller- that's what the seller's realtor is for.

Isn't it odd how different it is from state to state? Lots to learn. I have a friend in Raleigh that is a mortgage consultant, I think it's time to phone her. :)

ChefLisa said:
Hi Kacey!

Have you considered North Georgia? We sit nicely between South Carolina and Tennessee. We are at the foothills of the mountains so you can get there in 30 minutes to one hour. We are about four hours to the nearest beaches.

I live in Cumming, Georgia, which is about 40 miles north of Atlanta. Our county, Forsyth (not to be confused with the city of Forsyth) is one of the fastest growing in the nation so shopping is quite plentiful. We have all the stores you mentioned, including Dunkin Donuts! I am not 100% sure where the Commissary is located, but my in-laws shop there.

I think one of the best things about our area are the number of businesses very close to here. The cities of Alpharetta, Norcross, Duluth, Roswell and Atlanta (all close to Cumming) are full of large companies. I think the job market in this area would be great in your husband's field.

Just another option to think about.

Lisa

My ex-step-mom lives in Forsyth county. Outside of Roswell near Woodstock. It is beautiful around there and Roswell has EVERYTHING.

There should be a Commissary on either Dobbins Air National Guard Base in Marrietta or on Forts Gillam or McPherson (if they're still open).

Kitchen Diva said:
Don't you guys have buying agents? Up here we have selling and buying agents... example, DH and I want to buy a house- we find ourselves a realtor. On occasion that realtor may have listed a home that we decide we want to buy- which is dual agency, but it's rare, so there is a realtor for the seller and the buyer, and your realtors look out for YOU...not the seller- that's what the seller's realtor is for.

Isn't it odd how different it is from state to state? Lots to learn. I have a friend in Raleigh that is a mortgage consultant, I think it's time to phone her. :)

They may have buying agents in the bigger cities but in my small area they pretty much just represent the seller. Eveyr time we have ever closed one there is not an agent for the seller.

It is strange how things can be so different in so many different areas!

jrstephens said:
They may have buying agents in the bigger cities but in my small area they pretty much just represent the seller. Eveyr time we have ever closed one there is not an agent for the seller.

It is strange how things can be so different in so many different areas!

That is weird! Yeah, MN passed some laws a while back to make it so there had to be a listing/buying agent representing the buyers of a home. Sometimes that agent is also selling the same home, but it is very rare! It makes it darn near impossible to get hosed by your realtor- which I like.

I just called my friend Susan that lives in Sanford, NC. She is a branch manager for Wells Fargo Home Mortgage. She'll be able to help me with all those realtor questions, etc... We ended up gonig to every training course together, and then would always get stuck at the airport together and fast became friends. I've been meaning to call her anyway to ask her some questions about NC.

I finally printed up some maps and made notations near the cities that all you cheffers mentioned. :)

I'm off to start looking for a FT job. I can't spruce up my house without money, and I need a job to make money, so hi-ho, hi-ho it's off to the jobsites I go...♪♫♪

Prayers for a jobOkay fellow cheffers, I need prayers that I will find a FT day job so that DH and I can save up additional money to spruce up our house here in MN- and afford a move across country to NC. DH wants to move within the next 12 months, so prayers for a great company in NC to desire to hire him, and help cover some of the costs of the move (if not all)...

This is a huge leap of faith for DH and I. He's never just decided to up and move- normally he'd leave a place kicking and screaming when he was in the Air Force- so I know DH is serious about this move.

So I need a job up here to help with additional monies for the house and the move, and DH needs a great job offer from a company in NC!

Thanks again guys! :)

Ohhhh!!! I'm in a Sanford cluster!!!!!!!

We may just end up seeing each other once a month!!!

what kind of job does DH do?? that may determine where in NC you wind up.

we are in Virginia, only 2 1/2 hours from Raleigh and I have to say the cost of living here is WAY lower than that particular area.
Is his heart set on NC or is he willing to look around?

As for a job for you.....good luck! OR bump up your PC business...recruit with the mindset that you'll be leaving the area and will need good consultants to help your customers once you are gone!

chefmeg said:

we are both pretty set on NC. DH is in HR Management aka Talent Acquisition/recruiting. He manages teams of HR people and HR recruiters...

Kitchen Diva said:
chefmeg said:

we are both pretty set on NC. DH is in HR Management aka Talent Acquisition/recruiting. He manages teams of HR people and HR recruiters...

Sorry, haven't been on for awile....my grandma had a bad fall and is in the hospital. Your husband was in the Air Force, right? What was his job in the Air Force? Ft. McPhearson, GA is being closed and its operations moved up to Ft. Bragg(FORSCOM is taking over what was Pope Air Force Base next to Ft. Bragg). All this BRAC(base realignment) stuff is supposed to bringing lots of oppertunities to Fayetteville. With your husband's HR background and a military background he might want to look into military contractors around Ft. Bragg. I'll have to get some websites from my hubby(he's in logistics with a federal contractor).

<h2>1. What do you love about North Carolina?</h2><p>I love the beautiful scenery, the friendly people, and the sense of community in North Carolina. There are also so many great outdoor activities to enjoy, from hiking and camping to visiting the beach.</p><h2>2. What don't you like about North Carolina?</h2><p>One downside is the humidity in the summer, but overall there is very little to dislike about North Carolina.</p><h2>3. Which city would you recommend living in near Raleigh and Durham?</h2><p>I highly recommend living in either Raleigh or Durham, as they both offer a great mix of urban and suburban living with plenty of amenities and job opportunities.</p><h2>4. What are some factors to consider when deciding where to live in North Carolina?</h2><p>Some factors to consider include proximity to family and friends, job opportunities, cost of living, and preferred climate and outdoor activities.</p><h2>5. Is there any particular location in North Carolina that you would recommend for someone with ties to the Air Force?</h2><p>If you want to be close to an Air Force base, I would recommend looking into living near either Seymour Johnson Air Force Base in Goldsboro or Pope Field in Fayetteville.</p>

1. What do you love about North Carolina?

I love the beautiful scenery, the friendly people, and the sense of community in North Carolina. There are also so many great outdoor activities to enjoy, from hiking and camping to visiting the beach.

2. What don't you like about North Carolina?

One downside is the humidity in the summer, but overall there is very little to dislike about North Carolina.

3. Which city would you recommend living in near Raleigh and Durham?

I highly recommend living in either Raleigh or Durham, as they both offer a great mix of urban and suburban living with plenty of amenities and job opportunities.

4. What are some factors to consider when deciding where to live in North Carolina?

Some factors to consider include proximity to family and friends, job opportunities, cost of living, and preferred climate and outdoor activities.

5. Is there any particular location in North Carolina that you would recommend for someone with ties to the Air Force?

If you want to be close to an Air Force base, I would recommend looking into living near either Seymour Johnson Air Force Base in Goldsboro or Pope Field in Fayetteville.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
jrstephens
Replies
Views
Admin Greg