• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

:Eek: Hi All-:Cry: so After Starting a Thread (North Carolinans I

In summary, the conversation is about a couple's plans to relocate to North Carolina from Minnesota. The person who started the thread on a forum is frustrated because her husband is now having second thoughts due to higher taxes and insurance premiums in NC. She vents about her husband's indecisiveness and considers other states like Tennessee and Georgia. Other forum members offer their opinions and suggest looking into smaller, more affordable areas in NC. The conversation ends with the frustrated poster jokingly threatening to leave her husband and become Antonio Banderas's assistant.
Kitchen Diva
Gold Member
:eek: Hi all-:cry:

So after starting a thread (North Carolinans I need your help) to get info from any fellow cheffers that live in North Carolina to help my DH and I as we look into relocating from MN to NC within 12 months, I started searching for homes in the cities we think would work for us, etc... and doing research on North Carolina vs. Minnesota- so we have a feel for what we would be getting ourselves into when we move to NC.

After telling DH today that property taxes are a bit higher in NC, and state income taxes are higher in NC, and auto insurance premiums are higher in NC he now says he doesn't want to move there. I also made the mistake of telling him I couldn't find any homes with 3-car garages within our price range, and I think that is what put him over the top!

UGH UGH UGH!!!! I love him but that man is going to drive me CRAZY!!!!!:mad: :confused: :cry: :cry:

I would bang my head on my desk, but #1- I don't think it is sturdy enough to handle the weight from my massive brain, and #2, I already have a sore throat and plugged sinuses, I don't want a headache- and #3 loud noises scare the dogs and get them riled up- since they are actually quiet, I'd like to keep it that way.

UGH-AArrrgggghhh

I sort of feel like Charlie Brown after Lucy takes the football away (again) just as he extends his foot to kick the ball

I just needed to vent because I don't know if the search is off now or what...but for what we are looking for in a home- we'd be looking at $400,000+ homes here in MN- which we soooo cannot afford! Now DH is asking me what I think about TN or GA !?!?! This is a man that doesn't like the south to begin with because his ex is from SC. So he either wants to be closer to his kids and the grandbabies, or he doesn't. He needs to make up his mind or mine is going to explode!!!

I'm frustrated, and frustrated, and frustrated...

Thanks for letting me vent I appreciate it very much!!!!!:)

I am so sorry, and vent away.
By the way I live in TN and love it. I have lived many places and TN is one of my favorites. We don't have state tax even though we do have tax on grocerys, gas seems to be bit lower here than other places-if you can even say 2.93 is low which is what i just paid about 30 minutes ago. I think housing is reasonable here. weather is nice. does get a bit hot though in the summer. No snow so far for us this winter. Tons to do in the area plus i am right in the corner so its about 9 hours to Daytona, 1.5 hrs to gatlinburg, 1 hr to knoxville, 2 hours to Nashville, 2 hours to Atlanta.

A lot of the cost you are seeing is based on the areas that you are looking at. The closer to a bigger city or the beach areas, the higher the cost is going to be. I'd say dig a little deeper into smaller areas that are just outside of the cities/beach areas. I lived in northeastern NC for two years and my mom still lives there. It is cheaper there than out in the Outer Banks area.

DH asked what I thought about TN, but we have a DIL to be that lives there and she hates it. She lives in the Lafayette area, and lived in the Gatlain (sp?) area prior to that...

I don't know what to do, but I know I'm not staying here in MN!!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent- DH is going through what he calls (ANOTHER) mid-life-crisis. I told him you are only allowed one, and you were going through one when I met you, and then had one a few years after we got married, and by my records this is like your 4th one. So pull your head out of your tookus and make your mind up or I'm going to go apply to be Antonio Banderas's personal assistant! :)

erinb said:
A lot of the cost you are seeing is based on the areas that you are looking at. The closer to a bigger city or the beach areas, the higher the cost is going to be. I'd say dig a little deeper into smaller areas that are just outside of the cities/beach areas. I lived in northeastern NC for two years and my mom still lives there. It is cheaper there than out in the Outer Banks area.

Can you find smaller areas that have city sewers? We are not really into the septic tank thing. :)

Got any ideas on smaller? Should we look west of Raleigh instead of east like I have been?

Where in NC are you looking? My mom lives an hr east of Raleigh and rents a house for $350 a month! It all depends where you look.

Also I'm an hr north of the cities and am curious who your upline is? My Hosp group is under Julie Jorgensen but my NED is Yvone Matson.

I'm trying to get my mom to move here from NC, and you are tryiong to go from MN to NC... just struck me funny.

Kitchen Diva said:
DH asked what I thought about TN, but we have a DIL to be that lives there and she hates it. She lives in the Lafayette area, and lived in the Gatlain (sp?) area prior to that...

I don't know what to do, but I know I'm not staying here in MN!!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent- DH is going through what he calls (ANOTHER) mid-life-crisis. I told him you are only allowed one, and you were going through one when I met you, and then had one a few years after we got married, and by my records this is like your 4th one. So pull your head out of your tookus and make your mind up or I'm going to go apply to be Antonio Banderas's personal assistant! :)

I'm not crazy about the Gallatin area either (I assume that's what you are talking about), but I love all of the area south and east of Nashville. I too have lived all over the country. I was born in VA and have moved to NY, NJ, FL, MN, NC, TN, MI, CO and finally back to TN. I went to college in NC so I only lived on campus, but we lived in TN for a few years and moved away, but ultimately have settled back here. Spring Hill is a small town that is starting to boom! So anything around that area, Columbia, Thompsons Station is pretty inexpensive now, but will probably grow quick in value because of Spring Hill. If you have any ??'s about TN feel free to e-mail or PM me. I'd be glad to help! :D

We moved here (NC) from WI and moved into a slightly larger home here for basically the same amount (and this one was 2 years newer). Property taxes is 1/4 what it was in WI. We are charged tax on automobiles here and not in WI but the difference is still in our favor. All in all, the cost of living is slightly lower here than WI. Is it that much lower in MN then WI?

I would try and contact a real estate agent with questions about taxes and such. Sometimes the stuff you find on the internet isn't accurate. I feel like my property taxes are super cheap. My house was $145,000 and our taxes are around $580 a year. I feel like that is super cheap. In case you forgot I'm in Wilmington. Home Insurance is slightly more expensive due to the risk of hurricane, but again nothing traumatizing. I think mine is around $1100 a year. Everything is rolled into my mortgage and it only makes it $30 more a month. So i would definately speak to a professional.

daniellemorgan said:
I would try and contact a real estate agent with questions about taxes and such. Sometimes the stuff you find on the internet isn't accurate. I feel like my property taxes are super cheap. My house was $145,000 and our taxes are around $580 a year. I feel like that is super cheap. In case you forgot I'm in Wilmington. Home Insurance is slightly more expensive due to the risk of hurricane, but again nothing traumatizing. I think mine is around $1100 a year. Everything is rolled into my mortgage and it only makes it $30 more a month. So i would definately speak to a professional.
Good grief! I'd be jumping off the walls if my property taxes were only $580 a year! I live in one of the top 10 taxed cities in the state.

Also insurance premiums are on a county to county basis. For instance, my county is New Hanover, which has a ton more people than the more rural counties. I have State Farm and with two drivers on a 2007 hybrid suv our insurance is $80 a month. That is also for total coverage. Again, not high to me, but I can't imagine it being much cheaper.

Kodeysmom said:
I am so sorry, and vent away.
By the way I live in TN and love it. I have lived many places and TN is one of my favorites. We don't have state tax even though we do have tax on grocerys, gas seems to be bit lower here than other places-if you can even say 2.93 is low which is what i just paid about 30 minutes ago. I think housing is reasonable here. weather is nice. does get a bit hot though in the summer. No snow so far for us this winter. Tons to do in the area plus i am right in the corner so its about 9 hours to Daytona, 1.5 hrs to gatlinburg, 1 hr to knoxville, 2 hours to Nashville, 2 hours to Atlanta.

It is $3.04 here in AL today!

We vacation in TN every year, and we say all the time when Russell gets to retire from teaching we would love to relocate to TN at some point - I love it.

What is the purpose of the thread "North Carolinans I"?

The thread "North Carolinans I" was created as a space for people living in North Carolina to connect and discuss local events, activities, and other topics of interest.

How can I join the thread "North Carolinans I"?

To join the thread "North Carolinans I", simply click on the thread title and then click on the "Reply" button. You can also create a new post by clicking on the "New Thread" button on the forum page.

Can I post about events or activities happening in North Carolina on the thread?

Yes, you are encouraged to post about events and activities happening in North Carolina on the thread. It is a great way to share information and connect with others in the community.

Are there any rules or guidelines for posting on the thread "North Carolinans I"?

While there are no specific rules for posting on the thread "North Carolinans I", we do ask that all members adhere to our forum guidelines and be respectful of others.

Can I invite friends or family members who don't live in North Carolina to join the thread?

While the thread "North Carolinans I" is primarily for those living in North Carolina, we welcome anyone who is interested in the state or planning to visit. Feel free to invite friends and family members to join the discussion!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
RuthV
  • sk8rgrrl99